True Blood Ends Run with Season 7

We just got the news moments ago that HBO has announced True Blood will end after its 7th season in 2014. HBO programming president Michael Lombardo made it official in this press release:

“TRUE BLOOD has been nothing short of a defining show for HBO,” noted Lombardo. “Alan Ball took the books by Charlaine Harris, assembled a brilliant cast led by the magnificent Anna Paquin in the role of Sookie Stackhouse, and crafted a show that has taken its many devoted fans on an unforgettable journey. to Brian Buckner, who led our fantastic writers and crew in crafting a spectacular sixth season, and he will lead us through the seventh and final season of this amazing show. Together with its legions of fans, it will be hard to say goodbye to the residents of Bon Temps, but I look forward to what promises to be a fantastic final chapter of this incredible show.”

“From the moment I read Charlaine’s books, I thought there was potential for something really special,” says Alan Ball. “Then our amazing writers, cast and crew brought her world to life in a way that exceeded my wildest expectations. I’m deeply grateful to HBO for being true partners and collaborators, and, of course, to the viewers who chose to spend Sunday nights in Bon Temps with us.”

“I feel enormously proud to have been a part of the TRUE BLOOD family since the very beginning,” says Brian Buckner. “I guarantee that there’s not a more talented or harder-working cast and crew out there, and I’d like to extend a personal heartfelt thanks to them for their dedication and tenacity over the years, especially this past year, as I stepped into a larger role. Thank you also to HBO for their unwavering support and of course to Alan Ball, whose genius enabled all of us to share in this incredible journey.

Finally, a huge thank you to the most passionate fans in television. As we take a final walk through Bon Temps together, we will do our very best to bring Sookie’s story to a close with heart, imagination and, of course, fun.”

While I’m looking forward to the final season and beyond, it will certainly be a very sad finale for Mel and I. For our part, we’ll keep the site live as long as Truebies wish to visit us. And we’ll follow the cast and crew as they continue with the final season and in their careers after Bon Temps.

Thank you Alan Ball, Brian Buckner and HBO for the laughs, the tears, the fears and the horrors of True Blood.

1. Billy Burgess

September 3, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I’m sorry to hear True Blood will be ending with Season 7. I don’t know how the writers will wrap everything up with 10 episodes. I’m crossing my fingers for a feature film after the series ends.

• Kim

September 3, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Good idea about a film afterward.

2. Vampiremaniac

September 3, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I can’t believe it… The show still has excellent ratings, it’s the 2nd most viewed show of HBO after Game of Thrones, I was sure it will have yet another season after S7… After all, 8 seasons are the minimum great shows like TB should reach… So sad… 🙁

PS. Can we have a spin-off series about Bill’s or Eric’s chronicles at least? ^_^

September 3, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Actually 7 seasons are the norm, Vamp. And honestly, I think I’d rather see a show go out when it’s still that popular. So many did. And then there are those shows that just didn’t know when to quit until it got so ridiculous that it finally got cancelled. I’m glad that Brian Buckner knows this is the final season so he can do it justice. We’ll have closure at the end. No more cliffhangers. I can live with that with my favorite show.

• Vampiremaniac

September 3, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Yes, you are right Liz, it is just that TB world has so many fantasy creatures in it that it wouldn’t be difficult to create material for an 8th season or a spin-off series (about the Faes or the chronicles of an elder vampire – Godric, Eric, etc) since the show’s performance is still good.

I am still processing it… But I should see this coming. The vampire-mania is fading, 5 years after it was reignited, I am afraid we won’t be seeing any descent vampire series/movies for at least 20 years. God, I will be 41 years old then! I have to write a script about a new vampire series and send it to HBO ASAP, hahaha! 😀

September 3, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I was hoping for one more season making it a solid eight. The vampire mania is not fading. It never will as long as there are stories to tell. It’s been around for decades already and has never died out. In the coming fall TV season there are already two new vampire series’, “Dracula” and “The Originals” which is a spinoff from “The Vampire Diaries”. I have seen the premiere episode for that one and it’s actually very good.

So no, the vampire craze is still alive and well!

• Vampiremaniac

September 3, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Yes, the Originals will be interesting (I hope), I forgot about them… And TVD will keep us company until TB final season premiere… And there are tons of fanfic/spin-off novels on Fanfiction.net about TB, I’ve already finished a short one called “No Much Thrill Left In Feeding on the Willing” and I am now reading one called “Pretty Kitty”, both of them are astonishing, I recommend them. 🙂

• Janette

March 31, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I am so sad to see it go! I look so forward to the premiere every season! I’m just so bummed out now!!

3. Viv

September 3, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Am going to miss all the amazing, funny, crazy characters on this show so much when it’s over. I’ve loved watching Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad but as great as they are no TV show has been as much outrageous fun as TB and it’s huge amazing cast. :\'(

• Nothinbutjoy

September 3, 2013 at 2:35 pm

That is the absolute truth Viv! True Blood is one of a kind! I could not even begin to thank the cast and crew for all the wonderful Sundays I’ve spent glued to the show and having a great time with all the outrageous happenings!!

4. sookieeleana

September 3, 2013 at 2:26 pm

🙁

and they can’t even give us 12 episodes!
    It’s going to be tough to let go – we will need you Mel & Liz!

September 3, 2013 at 2:28 pm

And we’ll need all of you! 🙁

• posh

September 3, 2013 at 5:16 pm

We will be there for you fine gals and ready for another great show for us all to get involved with =)!

5. Nothinbutjoy

September 3, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I know 7 seasons is the norm but it’s still AWFUL!!!

I’m so sad! I hope they give this show the fabulous ending it deserves!! I am going to miss this show SO MUCH I can not even stand it!

6. Tracy

September 3, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I love this show, but it’s time. I’ll be interested to see how they decide to end it.

7. Die Hard True Blood Fan

September 3, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I just want to know why? Why end a show that so many people are dedicated to watching ever Sunday Night! I look forward to the show I watch all summer long. I hurts to know that next year is going to be the last season. Hopefully one of TV Networks will pick it up! So non HBO watchers can Fall in Love With ITToo!!!!

8. Jas

September 3, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I’m guessing the actors are ready to move on. Much as I’m sure they love the show, it’s got to be limiting to their careers. And with any job, sometimes it’s just time to move on.

I had hoped we’d get an 8th season, but alas it is not to be.

It’s been a wild and fun ride! I’m excited to see how they end it!

Then I’ll go back and re-watch it from the beginning!

And I still have GoT, White Queen (for now), and I will give this new Dracula a try – simply for JRM!

Oh but I’ll miss my TB, for sure!! 🙁

9. sue forbes

September 3, 2013 at 3:36 pm

So sorry to hear this is coming to an end I have totally fell in love with true blood and the books as I have said before the TV series and the books stand alone they are the same story but totally different. HBO should be proud of the achievement of having one of the best cast’s on TV and making people fall in love with the characters, also taking the books and making it into their own story, e.g. keeping characters alive that were not in the books ect. many thanks for entertaining me and I look forward to the next and final series.
    Many thanks to you guys for running this web site too I have found it so informative and entertaining to I will continue to visit as long as you have it up a running many thanks again from an English fan xx

September 3, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Thanks to you too, Sue!!

10. Michelle

September 3, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Wonder why they couldn’t give a full 12 Episodes ….Interesting…will miss it!

11. Jenn

September 3, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I am not pleased to hear that this is the end. I’ve been a die hard fan since the very beginning and there is so much ground they need to cover. I have never been into a tv series as much as TB and probably will never be. The books alone ending was tragic enough. I really hope there is enough of an outcry for this show that something else comes of it. I understand that many of the actors want to do their own thing, but this was a phenomenal show.

12. Vikingrl

September 3, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Will definitely miss the series (and now no books). How sad. Can we get a petition together to request S8?
    I will sign if you all write it.. 🙂
    Thank you, Mel and Liz for all of the hard work that you’al have put into your site, definitely here several times a week, if not multiple times daily. I will stick with you until the end. Look forward to what’s going on, again thank you. Maybe they will pick another of Charlaine’s books to do a series with. (Sorry Alan, never got into Banshee).

• Tracy

September 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I watched Banshee. It’s pretty unbelievable. LOL But entertaining. They even have their very own Lafayette. His name is Job. 😉

13. posh

September 3, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Hey Mel and Liz, will you fine gals maybe cover other shows like you did with Trueblood? It really is time to in TB. They have had a great run but …..time for another fantastic journey!

September 3, 2013 at 11:55 pm

We do have a site where we cover about 30 shows from various sources. It’s called NiceGirlsTV.com and we’ve mentioned it a number of times here and in our podcast. We’ve run that site for many years.

14. Yve

September 3, 2013 at 5:00 pm

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This just made my day very sad. 🙁

• posh

September 3, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Chin up! =) Just think of others shows that will be coming out that we will love/hate/cry/laugh at with Mel and Liz =)

• christina

September 6, 2013 at 2:27 pm

GOT!!!

15. Gail

September 3, 2013 at 5:29 pm

So sad to hear that next season will be the last for True Blood. :-(. It has been such a wonderful escape, fantasy for so many of us avid viewers. I feel after all this time we know the characters so well, that they feel like family. Will be very difficult to say goodbye, :-(.

• Jaclynn

September 3, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I’ll be sorry to see it go but hopefully it will go out on a high note.

16. Fae fan

September 3, 2013 at 8:41 pm

i just hope that they include the demon lawyer for the final season….

17. Rina

September 3, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Considering the reaction to S6 finale, I’m surprised that HBO will even be making S7. I doubt that the reaction to next season will be any better. The fans stopped enjoying the show or caring about the narrative years ago. They are so obsessed with their own fantasies, nothing that Bucky and Co will come up with will please them.

• Lane

September 4, 2013 at 9:31 am

Rina,

I agree that many “fans” have stopped caring about the show and are more focused on what they wish to see. It’s sad really because each episode has given so much entertainment and so much depth. Each character evolved and changed, each character grew and to be honest I did enjoy getting to see some of the characters back story. It added to the overall feel of the Bon Temps community and made me care so much more for the show in its entirety. I am a HUGE Eric Fan (lurve him!) and while I sat in a dreamy haze every Sunday night watching the Viking grace the screen, I also fell in love with everyone else. La La and his fabulousness, Sam and his less than perfect past, Tara and her issues, Arlene and Terry, Andy working his Andi-ness, etc. I never understood the criticism of the fans saying that it has gotten too over the top and ridiculous…..hello…it’s a show about vampires and supernatural elements…for the love of god it had a Maenad on season two and some people claim that was one of the best seasons. True Blood I love you and I know that you have to leave but I’m going to love watching you go

18. deb

September 3, 2013 at 11:21 pm

hmmmm…i thought this was a fan site??!! time for a letter writing campaign!

September 3, 2013 at 11:59 pm

This is a fansite Deb, and I can honestly say that True Blood has been given a great run and has always had the full support of HBO. Writing letters will change nothing but go ahead and give it your best.

19. Toni

September 4, 2013 at 12:56 am

Maybe someone will buy the rights to it and the show will be viewed elsewhere

20. Sharon

September 4, 2013 at 7:45 am

I am sad to hear True Blood is ending. Wished they could have followed the book a little more (with the exception of who Sookie ends up with) . I think that they should give us 12 weeks . I feel they r not being true to there fans.

21. Yvonne

September 4, 2013 at 8:01 am

I’m so sad, only 10 episodes left, not enough.

• Leigh

September 5, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Is it confirmed season 7 will only have 10 episodes?

• Barbara

September 5, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Hi Mel and Liz,

I wanted to say that someone should talk the head of HBO and let him know he’s making a big mistake by doing this because there are many fans that still follow this show. Please ask the heads of HBO to keep going with True Blood it is still a fan favorite. Thank you.

September 5, 2013 at 7:41 pm

And what if the actors themselves are ready to move on? Would you replace them? And exactly which ones would you replace that the fans wouldn’t be upset about?

I’ll repeat, in case you didn’t see my earlier comment: True Blood has had an excellent run and I’m happy that it will get the finale it deserves. I’m glad that the fans will have some closure at the end of season 7.

September 5, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Yes, HBO confirmed 10 episodes.

22. Amber

September 4, 2013 at 10:13 am

I am bummed out. I know its reality and the show can’t go on forever.. It still sucks.

23. Kentares

September 4, 2013 at 10:59 am

The only vampire show I see. A bit sad really.

24. Sharon

September 4, 2013 at 11:06 am

I am sure there is more material from the books,Which I had hoped that they would have followed a little more closely. I think that the fans deserve at least 12 episodes. Lets hope they changed who Sookie ends up with .
    A movies with be great !

25. Liz

September 4, 2013 at 11:42 am

Here’s the thing: HBO’s longest running series was “Entourage” and that was only eight seasons. Also, their final season only had SIX episodes. So for “True Blood” to run for seven seasons, ending with ten episodes, is really a great send-off for the show, the cast and the crew.

As I’ve said before, while I’d love for the show to go on longer, I’d rather it ended while it was still a great show. HBO is not being unfair, not by half. They are not shafting the fans, which they are well aware are passionate fans.They have given all of True Blood’s devoted fans a wonderful gift by telling Brian Buckner that they will be writing the final season. This gives them plenty of quality time to wrap up everyone’s stories and give the show and its fans the finale it deserves.

• Gill

September 4, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I so totally agree with Liz. There have been so many classic series whose writers have not had the luxury of knowing when the show was to be cancelled with enough time to tie up the loose ends. SGU, ReGenesis, and so many others who were just hitting their strides. If the writers were lucky, they had one or 2 episodes notice. Here in Australia, we had the brilliant Spirited which was exclusive to Foxtel and was in pre-production for series 3 when it was cancelled. A massive fan backlash and online campaign caused Foxtel to commission series 3, but then during pre-production, it was cancelled again.

With good writing (and no unnecessary plotlines), I think that the 10 episodes should be enough to tie up the loose ends, and give the series another great story arc. It doesn’t get better than a human/vampire (and possibly fairy and were/shifter?) war… No matter how it ends, some of the fans will not be happy. At least now we (and the actors) can prepare for it, and enjoy it for what it is – a classic show.

September 5, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Exactly! I’m still smarting over “Moonlight” and many are still campaigning for a “Firefly” revival. Just over this past year alone I’ve been disappointed at being left hanging without resolutions to no less than 5 TV shows I enjoyed. Give me a nice, neat wrap and I’ll be fine. And I’ll go watch the show from the beginning too!

• Jas

September 5, 2013 at 11:21 am

Here here! Well said.

I posted about this a couple days ago, but it appears my comment got lost in cyberspace somewhere.

I had hoped for an 8th season. I had hoped if this was the last season we’d get 12-13 episodes. But I didn’t feel “entitled” to that.

As much as the actors I’m sure love their roles on TB, they have also got to be very limiting on their careers. And no one stays at any job forever – at least not typically. They can’t grow as professionals of they are playing the same role forever. Even if it is on a versatile show like TB.

It also gets very expensive to make a show like this that has actors in high demand.

Yes, I am sad it’s almost over. Yes I wanted an 8th season – but I felt like that 8th season should be the end.
      (Though we better have un-dead Erik and not flashback or ghost Erik. Just sayin. Lol!)

I will miss TB after it ends, for sure! But I’ll go back and re-watch it from the beginning! And I still have GoT, White Queen (for now at least), and I’m going to give Dracula a chance, mainly for JRM, who I adore.

Speaking of… I still have to watch the last season of The Tudors. How sad is that??

But honestly, thanks to Liz and Mel for this site, and to HBO and the TB cast and crew for a wild ride! Can’t wait to see how it all ends!

September 5, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Thanks Jas! And rest assured, Eric will be very much as undead as ever. No ghost or flashbacks. He’s a series regular!

26. Aaron

September 6, 2013 at 12:24 am

I’m gonna miss you guys, I really will. I’m gonna cry ;(

27. posh

September 6, 2013 at 8:01 am

Alright folks…We only have 10 episodes to wrap up this colorful journey we have taken with TB. Let us HOPE that the show actually has some male reproductive glands to really go out with a bang unlike Sopranos.
    The characters deserve it. I mean when the novels ended holy horse hocky batman did CH get a huge backlash from the fans, a lot of which was really bad. I hope this farewell season isnt just about who Sookie ends up with cause that is not True Blood but a mere story line of the series.Mel and Liz, our Captains aboard this TB ship has set sail on it’s final voyage down this one of many I hope destinations.

• Tracy

September 6, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Yeah, I’d like to have a good feeling about where EVERYONE is heading, not just Sookie.

28. Elle

September 7, 2013 at 11:35 am

If they’re gonna end it next year, the end HAS to be something big. I hope they don’t mess this up, it would be a disaster. I’d love to see something different, eg somebody else than Bill in the spotlight (c’mon, if we skip season 4, Bill has always really strong story and seasons are spinning around him), less stories about visitors in her heart and bed and some better-built stories for characters that were skipped a bit throughout the whole series.

29. girlinlandscape

September 12, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I will miss TB. In season 7, I’d like to see Sookie in a position where she’d have to unleash her faerie light bomb maybe as a horde of infected vamps descends. She’d become a human and would finally learn who really loves her for who she is, not what she is. Too obvious? P.S. Much much much more Eric…

30. Charles Bishop

October 18, 2013 at 12:39 am

This seems to always happen with a great series they only do them for so long and then they end them. Why tease us with an amazing show only to rip it away from us later on. I think that they need to keep it going or come with some type of sequel for it or something, rather than to just cut it off. I’ve watched this show form the very beginning and sure hate to pay for HBO after this one goes off. The only other good thing about HBO is Game of Thrones. Or lets talk about the movies that they show for an entire month long. There are tons of new movies that hit the shelves daily, why not play some of them too. But as for True Blood, they need to keep this one going on. Hell even Jason went for 13 movies lol.

31. Michelle Decker

February 2, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Looks like I will be cancelling my HBO subscription once TRUE BLOOD is over. TRUE BLOOD was the ONLY reason I kept HBO.