Alexander Skarsgard Officially Set to Play Tarzan

It took a while to get the project off the ground, but pre-production has officially begun on the Warner Bros. remake of Tarzan, starring True Blood‘s Alexander Skarsgard, plus Samuel L. Jackson, Cristoph Waltz, and Margot Robbie. David Yates, who directed the last four Harry Potter movies, will direct from a screenplay based on the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs.

In a press release announcing the project, Warner Bros. set a release date of July 1, 2016.

“We have assembled a phenomenal international cast to tell this extraordinary story. Warner Bros. has also enjoyed long and successful collaborations with both David Yates and Jerry Weintraub, and we look forward to seeing what they and the entire team have in store for this timeless tale,” said Greg Silverman, president of creative development and worldwide production for Warner Bros.

This will be Skarsgard’s highest profile film role so far, leading the cast of a potential summer blockbuster. Is it too early to buy our tickets?

1. Elayne

February 11, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Oh my god, Alexander in a loin cloth….I can’t wait that long till 2016

2. Rina

February 12, 2014 at 12:31 am

OMG, I’m actually looking forward to this movie even though it’s Tarzan. And yes, there better be a loincloth in there somewhere.

3. Syydiana

February 12, 2014 at 1:26 am

My heart about stopped reading this… I don’t want to wait ether. He is going to be so awesome as Tarzan 🙂 As for Margot Robbie, I haven’t seen her in anything to have an idea of how she will do. So exciting….

4. Esther

February 16, 2014 at 12:35 am

i cant wait, mouth watering all over.

5. Wanda

February 17, 2014 at 4:14 pm

SITting back in my chair while a blizzard is going on with my eyes closed—Alex in a loin cloth, swinging through trees……AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

6. Vampiremaniac

February 17, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Hmmm… All Tarzan movies are so corny and tasteless to deserve the IMDB bottom status most of them have. I hope they know what they are doing. Regardless, Alex is one of the best actors I know and I am sure he can portray a realistic Tarzan. Moreover, and since the comment ladies are so fleshy (calm down, girls!), Alex has just the physique to portray the character, not very muscular, mostly lean, which makes a realistic Tarzan, you wouldn’t be Mr.Olympia if you grew up in the jungle, like the previous versions of Tarzans, duh. Non-polished characters are necessary to make the movie great. However, I can’t wait to see who will portray Jane… 😛