Happy Birthday, True-Blood.net!

Guess what, it’s our birthday!

True-Blood.net launched on this day in 2008 with a post from Charlaine Harris about her books becoming a TV show. The occasion was the casting of Alexander Skarsgard as Eric Northman. It’s hard to believe now, but at the time there was quite an outcry from bookies that Skarsgard didn’t look like the Eric they’d pictured from Charlaine’s description. Crazy, right? Here’s how Charlaine responded:

I’m looking forward to Alexander Skarsgard’s convincing me he is Eric Northman. I want to see Anna Paquin fill Sookie’s skin. I want to see William Sanderson become Bud Dearborn, and Sam Trammell become Sam Merlotte. I’m ready to give the cast a chance to embody my characters. I hope you all are keeping an open mind, too.

Now, 6 years later, the actor and the character have become fused in our minds and it’s hard to picture anyone else playing the big blond Viking.

But this is about us, so let me share a few of our other early posts with you. Ah, nostalgia.

And because we’re numbers geeks, here are some stats about True-Blood.net. Since we launched on March 24, 2008, we have:

• Published 4,168 posts;
  • Received 47,017 (non-spam) comments;
  • Had 13,326,918 visitors;
  • Hosted 218 podcast episodes.

In addition, we’ve interviewed several members of the cast and creative team, attended six Comic Cons, met bunches of Truebies, and given away tons of swag.

We can’t wait to see what our seventh year brings!

1. Helen

March 24, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Congratulations Liz and Mel! Thanks for all the hard work you put in to the site every day. Here’s to many more years to come! :)

March 26, 2014 at 6:02 pm

And thank YOU, Helen, for your contributions over the years. :)

2. Holly

March 24, 2014 at 1:13 pm

I want to start out with a HUGE Happy Birthday to True-Blood.net. It’s My Favorite True Blood site Among others :) Congrats to Liz ans Mel for all the hard work they put into the site!!! Claps!!! Its so hard to believe that the last season is coming up but, Everything comes to an end. I’m just not sure how I want it to go. I love Bill and Eric. I’m T0rN!!!!! In one way I want Bill to Ravage Sookie in a good way And Eric to do the same.. I also want Sook, to become what she has always wanted to become, A Vamp/Fairy psychic Mean Machine And tell em all whats it about :) Either or I love all the Players… Keep them coming I say let the end turn into a Movie! Let nothing be resolved love wise and let bon temps go into flames and every one move abroad! Well Now I’m Babbling. Holds up her beer (here’s to ya) GREAT SHOW Hate to see it go…. Another great job to Alan Ball and all the writers. We all love you here in South Georgia! Look up spook bridge in Valdosta, Georgia. Alan, Great beginning to some freaky shit :) K Love ya all and I will be watching the Finale! Hugs to all The True Fans! – Holly Smith Valdosta, Georgia

March 26, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Thanks, Holly! We’re glad you’ve joined us.

3. Angi

March 25, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Happy birthday to you! This is my absolute favorite TB site. Thanks for all your hard work!

March 26, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Thanks, Angi! You’re sweet. :)

4. Rina

March 26, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Happy Birthday, True-Blood.net. Thanks for all your hard work and for the memories, Liz and Mel.

5. emax

March 30, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Happy Birthday !!!! Just now getting to post this…I have so enjoyed this site and I think you gals do such a great job with it !!!!

March 31, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Thank you! Hope you stick with us even post-series, because we’ll still be here!