Anna Paquin & Stephen Moyer on the Cover of EW

True Blood stars Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer are the cover story for this week’s issue of Entertainment Weekly. The co-stars sat down in the same booth where Sookie first met Bill and did a Q&A for EW. Here’s an excerpt.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Speaking of nudity, in the first ­episode of the new season, Stephen you directed a love scene between your wife and Alcide, played by Joe Manganiello.
STEPHEN MOYER:
 There are moments where I’ll be watching on a monitor [and say], “Oh, Joe, just move your hand up towards Anna’s breast. Good. And can you move your right thumb just a little bit towards her nipple? Great.” And then I’ll go, “Babe, babe, enjoy it.” I’m certainly talking to her as “babe.” “Darling, go for it. Yeah, feel the nipple.”

ANNA PAQUIN: We set the bar very high for weird very early on. We’ve done a lot of odd sh– on this show. Actually, the potentially awkward couplings [are] not the weirdest sh– that we’ve done on this show.

MOYER: In a funny way, I feel like — without revealing too much — it’s quite interesting for us as a couple because we’ve kind of gone to places where a lot of people don’t get to.

PAQUIN: Or have to.

MOYER: And we’re still here. And I think that’s good for us in a way.

Also included in this issue: Stephen’s photos from the set, Alexander Skarsgard as we’ve “never seen him before”, and a recap of the first six seasons. Look for it on newsstands this week.

BTW, this is the “exciting shoot” Anna referred to on Twitter last week:

Updated: more portraits from the photo session are now in the EW gallery. Gorgeous!

Click to enlarge the photo.

EW_cover_061814

1. Mel

June 18, 2014 at 11:38 am

Shouldn’t it be Sookie and Alcide? OMG they just spoiled the whole season in the EW cover

June 18, 2014 at 11:40 am

Ummm…the interview is with Anna and Stephen, so…?

2. Mel

June 18, 2014 at 11:48 am

I don’t think so. By the time they did the “exciting shoot” the magazine should already be printing or in the printing house.

June 18, 2014 at 11:52 am

If you look at the photo Anna posted, Stephen is wearing the same clothes from the shoot, Anna’s hair and makeup are the same, and they’re in a dressing room. Weekly mags usually go to press on Monday night/Tuesday morning for distribution on Wednesday/Thursday.

June 18, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I only see that Stephen wears a shirt in both photos but I can’t figure if they are the same, they’re just plain t-shirts. Covers, and photoshoots in general, usually are done one month (or even more) before the magazine is released and the interview are done much later. For instance, in 2009 EW made the shoot of the cast on June 6 and the magazine was releasen on July 24 and in 2012 the shoot was done on May 6 and the magazine was released on June.

Personally I think she was talking about a scene.

June 18, 2014 at 1:48 pm

I actually write for magazines, it’s my job, so I can tell you that while photoshoots for monthly mags can be done a month or two in advance, sometimes it’s just a week or two before publication. For weeklies, photoshoots usually happen within 2 weeks of publication. Also, that isn’t “Sookie makeup and hair” that Anna’s sporting in her Twitter photo. But we can agree to disagree if you’d prefer.

June 18, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Well, I’ve checked the other shoots EW did with TB cast and they’re always done 1 month before, or even more, 6 days is too drastic for EW. Anyway, when the magazine comes out we’ll know for sure, they always say when was done the session.

June 20, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Hmm, looks like you were wrong this time.

3. Ali Rose

June 18, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Omgee. They are the main characters! Why would you want Alcide and Sookie on the cover? Lol and if any of you truly follow True Blood, you could already guess the ending by the trailers and videos hbo posts. Duhh.

Back to the pictute, it looks amazingggg! Can’t wait for Sunday.

4. Liz

June 19, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I’m surprised no one is talking about those hilarious behind-the-scenes photos! Oh my gosh, those boys are so funny. I laughed till I cried! And Anna is such a sport. These guys certainly made some memories. Can’t we talk about that?

5. posh

June 20, 2014 at 6:07 am

Was funny to see the pics but there is a bit of bitterness and sorrow I think from “fans” due to the last season of at times a wonderful and exciting show. A. Skarsgard not showing up for the finale and last year also not showing up makes me wonder if he does consider his fan base here in the U.S. I understand through reading he was “shooting in London” but still was a big let down for his fans. Thank you Mel and Liz for your coverage of the all things Trueblood through out the years, you gals are really awesome!

June 20, 2014 at 9:40 am

It is too bad that Skarsgard couldn’t make it back for the premiere, but understandable that the logistics didn’t work out (his “people” were trying to make it happen as recently as the weekend). Traveling overseas for an evening, then turning around and going back to make it to work and not foul up an entire production’s schedule is challenging. I’m hopeful that by not taking a break from Tarzan now, he’ll be able to attend Comic Con in July.

6. Lou

June 22, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I have the magazine. It indicates the pics were taken on June 12, the same date as Anna’s tweet.