In Memoriam: Saying Goodbye to [SPOILER]

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

Last season we said a tearful goodbye to Terry Bellefeur when he was gunned down outside the back door of Merlotte’s. It was hard to watch and harder to accept, and we all cried with Arlene. Before that we wept with Jessica as she wiped Hoyt’s memories of her and Jason so he didn’t have to endure the pain of losing his best friend and the girl he loved. Then he simply left Bon Temps, never to return.

We’ve lost quite a few favorites over the last six seasons, some we were glad to finally be rid of, others we wished we had more time with. But this most recent death is a bittersweet one, and it will be felt for the rest of the season.

Fans were split on how they felt about Tara. Some really weren’t interested in her story or what happened to her. Others, like Mel and I, wish we had seen so much more from Tara, especially after she was turned vampire by Pam at the request of Sookie and Lafayette, who just couldn’t let her go after she took a bullet meant for Sookie. She made the ultimate sacrifice for her friend. I wonder how many of us would do that for someone we loved. It’s a hard choice to make but Tara made it without thinking twice.

Sookie and Lafayette cannot bring Tara back this time, though. As we grieve with them, we’ve put together some of our favorite Tara moments and Tara-isms from the past years. We hope you enjoy them. Add your condolences in the comments below.

Photo gallery

Tara-isms

“I only go off on stupid people. ”

“I’m an excellent driver. But you can not prepare for a naked lady and a hog in the middle of the road!  ”

“Giving vampire blood to Jason Stackhouse is like giving ho-hos to a diabetic.”

“It’s been a while since I’ve been attacked by a vampire, and guess what, it still sucks.”

If you die I’m gonna be really pissed.”

Isn’t that funny a black girl being named after a plantation. No I don’t think it’s funny at all.”

What are your favorite memories of Tara?

1. Tiffany

June 22, 2014 at 9:12 pm

That completely sucked she was my favorite character so ruined the entire season for me!!!!!!!!

2. kimmie

June 22, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Dang I hate that this is the last season. RIP..Tara you will be missed.

3. Gail

June 22, 2014 at 9:23 pm

So very sad they killed Tara off. It was a shock. I didn’t see that coming, 🙁

4. Nothinbutjoy

June 22, 2014 at 9:24 pm

R.I.F.*P. Tara.

I definitely have had mixed feelings about Tara over the past 6 seasons, but in the end, I’ll miss her.

* (F=Final)

5. Angelar

June 22, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Why Tara?? Why not Lettie Mae? It’s not going to be the same!!!! Feeling upset and disappointed…

6. deborah piovesan

June 22, 2014 at 9:32 pm

R.I.P. TARA.LOVED YOU ON THE SHOW.

7. nitewalker2525

June 22, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Disappointed Tara was killed off and more reaction should’ve been from Pam as her maker.

June 22, 2014 at 9:47 pm

“Everything I touch, dies.”

• andrea

June 24, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Well, she feeds on humans … so basically, everything (and humans are just things to her right ?) can die under her touch.

• andrea

June 24, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Plus, she is a hell of a fighter too …

• Alissa

June 22, 2014 at 10:07 pm

I agree, the “everything I touch” line was too subtle for me. I wish she would have had more of a reaction too. Hopefully she’ll grieve at least a little, later.

June 22, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Maybe we’ll see her grieve once she’s reunited with Eric, and/or feeds, so she can let her guard down a little? Still, this is Pam. She’s not known for big displays of emotion.

• sasa

June 23, 2014 at 10:46 am

all those Pam scenes we saw may not have been linear with the Bon Temps storyline. They could be flashbacks of her telling Eric what she’s done, where she’s been when she finally finds him.

June 23, 2014 at 12:34 pm

They didn’t give us any visual cues that those scenes were flashbacks, and you can see from Pam’s eyes that she hasn’t fed in a long time, so I think it’s real-time.

8. julie

June 22, 2014 at 10:09 pm

i always loved Tara’s role in True Blood she was a dear friend to all she loved… Be sad to see her leave this way … Will be sad to see the show end as well i have enjoyed it from start to finish.. classy and well done… Will miss them all ,

9. Lynn Young

June 22, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I don’t think she’s dead! There was not an actual shot of her getting killed…idk maybe I’m in denial!

• Cathy

June 23, 2014 at 12:18 am

I too was thinking she was not dead. It’s strange that they would not show her die. To me that means either she is not dead or that her mother killed her.

• Melody

June 23, 2014 at 11:56 am

Idk. Her mom wouldn’t react that way. Unless. Tara killed the vampire and ran super fast that all her mom saw was vampire blood and didn’t see Tara after that.

• andrea

June 24, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Hi Lynn, you are not in denial … even Pam didn’t feel her progeny gone ..

10. Matteo Pendarvis

June 22, 2014 at 10:31 pm

I thought it strange how Pam, as Tara’s maker, didn’t respond to her death. This show is just not making any sense anymore. I loved Tara and her strength, and her support of Sookie. How dare you not allow us to see more of Tara in the season, and more of Tara and Pam’s relationship?

June 22, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Pam did respond – “Everything I touch, dies,” she said while 8,000 miles away in Morocco.

• andrea

June 24, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Hello Mel, this would be very subtel, even for Pam ! I am like Saint Thomas, what I can’t witness with my own eyes …Also, I cannot trust Tara’s mother either, sorry. What if Tara decided to go after or even infiltrate the V infected vamps group just to find out who the whisler is for example …It seems unreal that one of the main characters would die “off screen” when we were treated in gory details with all the others characters going down during the entire show.
        Sorry, I just don’t buy it …

June 24, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Well the actress herself has confirmed that Tara is dead, so there is that. http://true-blood.net/2014/06/22/true-blood-post-mortem-i-can-tease-that-dead-doesnt-always-mean-gone/

• andrea

June 24, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Technically she is “dead” …. did she say she was going to meet the true death in this opening scene ? I can only imagine how much fun Rutina is having right now to read all the fans RIP.

June 24, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I guess we’ll have to wait and see. 🙂

11. Michele Carter

June 22, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Figured Tara was going to die. Not one of my favorite characters. I’m just waiting for Pam to find Eric alive.

12. Carmen

June 23, 2014 at 6:24 am

OMG…we were so shocked that Tara died! We love that character but we knew SOMEONE was going to go in the first episode 🙁 I am just sad that True Blood will be over soon! The characters and the whole story has been an awesome ride…thank you HBO!

13. Melody

June 23, 2014 at 11:53 am

I did not see that coming. Over the years. Ive loved Tara’s smart Ass comments. They’re hilarious. I’m still sad. That this is the last season.

14. rcox

June 23, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Iam surprised they bother to kill her off, they should have killed her off in season three

15. Amanda

June 24, 2014 at 12:22 pm

After watching GoT (Game of Thrones) for 4 seasons I have learned that even the main character can die so I wasn’t to surprise. But she will be missed for the next 9 episodes.

• andrea

June 24, 2014 at 3:29 pm

We actually SAW the main characters of GOT and TB die …on screen !
      We didn’t see Tara meeting the true death, we didn’t even see her clothes covered with blood in her mother’s hands. Furthermore, Lettie-May had a strange reaction about not being able to hear Tara … if she communicates with the dead souls, she would be puzzled not hearing from her … there are so many clues folks, come on …

June 24, 2014 at 5:20 pm

I’m guessing you won’t believe it until we get to the final credits of the final episode and Tara still isn’t “alive”, but have you seen the additional photos HBO released after the episode aired? http://true-blood.net/?p=22352