SPOILERS: Breaking Down the True Blood Preview

HBO released a preview for “the weeks ahead” after the conclusion of the season 7 premiere, giving us a LOT of material to work with as we speculate what’s coming up in the final season. Based on previous multi-episode previews, we’re guessing this takes us to episode 7.04 or possibly 7.05. Let’s break it down…

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

The dead woman Sookie stumbled across in the woods is identified as Mary Beth Grant from St. Alice (pronounced Saint Elise), a nearby parish. Sookie, Alcide, Sam, Andy and Jason take a field trip to obtain more information and find the town deserted with terrifying pleas for help spray painted on buildings and roads.

True Blood season 7 spoilers and speculation

On the way to or from St. Alice, Alcide makes amends with Sookie, telling her that the vampire attacks are not her fault (expect a longer clip from that scene in the truck to be released by the end of the week). Sookie accepts his apology and once they get back to Sookie’s house, we get more Sookie/Alcide sexy time.

Sookie & Alcide sexy time True Blood season 7

That’s not enough to keep Alcide from going ballistic when Sookie goes to visit Bill in the middle of the night, though. She’s there to ask for help (clip 1, clip 2) rescuing those trapped in Fangtasia, but somehow I don’t think Alcide is going to appreciate her altruism. It’s worth noting that this appears to be Alcide’s final scene from the preview, and it occurs in episode 7.02. Liz & I have suspected for awhile now that Alcide doesn’t make it through the final season, although we don’t think he dies. Is this the end for him?

weeksahead_004

In the dungeon at Fangtasia, Arlene, Holly, Nicole and Jane Bodehouse remain captive. Arlene has a plan to get them out, which goes awry somehow and Holly tries to protect Nicole from the infected vampires. Instead of killing her, the vampires take Holly outside to meet someone. Possibly whomever whistled and called off the attack at Bellefleur’s the night before. We think that someone is Sarah Newlin.

Holly protects Nicole in True Blood season 7

Bill and Sookie do make it to Fangtasia, after Sookie has changed her shirt from the pretty toile print to a red Fangtasia shirt for some reason (throwback to episode 2.03?). We see Bill punch his way through a wall as Sookie watches, and a very distraught Sookie cradling someone who is injured. Our best guess is that she’s holding Arlene (green dress) who appears to have suffered at the hands of the Hep-V vampires after whatever plan she had for escape failed. We know Arlene survives because she has a romance storyline beginning in episode 7.04, and we’re pretty sure Holly is ‘safe’ with whomever she’s been taken to see, but the fate of Nicole and her baby is unknown. (We’ve seen some speculation that Nicole goes into labor in the dungeon; if that’s the case, at just 6 months pregnant, her prognosis is not good.)

Updated: Reader Natali (below) thinks Sookie is holding a baby in the image where Bill is punching the wall. I couldn’t get a clear shot of whatever she’s holding, but she is holding it like one would hold a baby. If so, then it doesn’t look good for Nicole.

We also see Sookie and Bill having a conversation, probably at Bill’s house (white shutters), then Sookie goes in for a hug/comfort from Bill (you can just make out the zipper on his leather jacket).

Sookie, Bill and Arlene at Fangtasia True Blood season 7

Speaking of seeking comfort, we also see Sookie weeping in the arms of Jessica and Sam on separate occasions. She’s devastated about something – another death? Jessica is also upset in their scene, while Sam appears to be more concerned for Sookie than about whatever happened. The latter would seem to mean Nicole is safe (for now), but could Bill be in danger? Are Sookie and Jessica grieving for Tara? Or is Sookie crying about the loss of life she’s seen in general?

Sookie crying True Blood season 7

We don’t see Eric yet (maybe; see below), but we do get a shot of Pam peeking in a window, throwing a Molotov cocktail, and crying. Is she crying over the death of Tara? Or because she finally found Eric?

Pam throws bomb finds Eric True Blood season 7

Meanwhile, Andy appears to be very unhappy that Jessica is now camping out in his attic with his delicious-smelling daughter in residence, prompting Jessica to attack him. Most likely this is in response to a perceived threat to either Jessica or Adilyn because she does seem to back off and (probably) try to apologize.

weeksahead_002

Oh, and Adilyn has figured out how to use the faery fire ball, against what looks like Kenya at the Sheriff’s Office. Uh oh.

Adilyn's faery fire ball True Blood season 7

And finally, sometime after Sookie and Bill’s rescue attempt, Sookie has a gentle encounter with a very tall man. This could be Alcide saying goodbye, or the return of Eric Northman.

Sookie and Eric? Sookie and Alcide? True Blood season 7

There are other scenes of general mayhem and chaos, a closing hearse door, another Bill and Sookie conversation, etc. that we don’t have much context for at the moment, but if you have thoughts, please feel free to share them below!

1. Natali Vazquez

June 24, 2014 at 5:31 pm

It looks like Sookie is holding a baby when Bill is punching the wall! I think she delivers Nicole’s baby but Nicole doesn’t make it!

June 24, 2014 at 5:34 pm

You think so? I could not get a clear shot of what she’s holding, but the way she’s holding the bundle, it could be a baby. Which also means Bill is punching his way OUT of the dungeon instead of in.

2. Kody Manley

June 24, 2014 at 5:50 pm

I don’t think it’s a baby. It looks like the top of an adult head with hair. I think it’s Arlene, maybe near dead. I think the person who called them off is just an alpha hep-V vamp, not Sarah. I’m pretty certain Lafayette is going to steal James from Jessica too!

June 24, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Kody, we’re talking about the image where Bill is punching the wall and Sookie is standing nearby holding a bundle. Definitely NOT Arlene’s head!

• posh

June 24, 2014 at 9:00 pm

I agree, It must be a baby wrapped up and I would guess Nicole has been slurped like a red slushy. What are your thoughts on why they did’nt show Tara actually die.

• Genelle

July 14, 2014 at 3:25 am

I agree, I definitely think La La is going to take James from Jessica. However I don’t think Jess is in much of a position to be in a relationship anyway right now.

3. jess

June 24, 2014 at 7:57 pm

It doesn’t look like a baby. If you notice it appears to be square in shape and fairly flat.

• lynn

June 25, 2014 at 6:42 am

I think it is a bundle of ammo. It just doesn’t look like a baby to me.

4. lala

June 24, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Why hasn’t anyone mentioned Sookie holding someone and saying “Eric’s gone”? It’s between 0:55 and 0:59. It looks like she’s cradling a woman with a light complexion and very dark brown hair….possibly Willa? The way she says it seems to me like she isn’t referring to his running off to Sweden. Anyone think this may lend some credence to the fan picture w/ Alex where all his makeup is done as a Hep-V infected vamp and the possibility that they may kill him off before the end of the season?

June 24, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Because that image you’re referring to doesn’t vibe with what Sookie is saying. By piecing together that scene, we’re pretty confident that she’s holding Arlene, not Willa. What could be happening is that Sookie is lamenting everyone she’s lost – Gran, Tara, Terry, Eric (who she doesn’t know is alive), possibly Alcide having broken up with her at that point – as Arlene fights for her life, and they chose to edit the scene so we only hear her say “Eric’s gone”, out of context.

As far as that fan photo – it’s from later in the season than this preview covers. We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. 😉

• lala

June 24, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I certainly hope you’re right! I didn’t think there could be anything worse than the way the Sookie books ended, but if Eric ends up meeting his final death then it will easily top the books on the worst ending ever…

Alas I don’t think there will be any Eric-Sookie reconciliation in this final season though. I think they are going to redeem Bill and he and Sookie will go running off together into the sunset unless every “spoiler” that B. Buckner has discussed is just an enormous red herring in order to fool us all. What do you think?

June 24, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Oh, I think you should listen to this week’s podcast when it’s posted. Liz and I have Things to Say about all this Bill/Sookie stuff. 😉

(P.S. I loved the way the books ended. I was rooting for that outcome way back when I read the first novel in 2001.)

• lala

June 24, 2014 at 10:24 pm

I don’t mind Sookie & Sam together. The way it was written, or wasn’t written may be a more apt phrase, was what I had an issue with. I’m totally partial to Eric. I know, I know. Totally typical right? And I really did want them together at the end of SVM, but how CH ended the E/S relationship and wrote the S/S one is what killed it for me.
            If Nicole does die, and Bill does step out of the romantic picture (being redeemed, but only ending up as a friend or sacrificing himself for her), and Alcide-Sookie break up, and Eric moves on completely, I could totally see the show ending with Sookie/Sam.
            I will def be listening to your podcast!

June 24, 2014 at 10:42 pm

“Do you think that the Sookie/Sam hugging (where she expresses the desire for a relationship and he refuses stating that Nicole was pregnant) moment from last season was a shout out to fans of the books and how the books ended?”

Yes, absolutely, 100%. Now what TYPE of shoutout it was, I don’t know.

I saw the Sookie/Sam relationship developing from book 1 alllllll the way until the end of 13, something I said many times here on the site and in our podcast, but very few could (or would?) see the same narrative clues. Charlaine said many, many, many times over the years that she knew how Sookie’s story would end as early as book 2. I think if you go back and read the series again (and the short stories), knowing how it ends, you’ll see that Charlaine did, in fact, build that relationship over the entire series.

Last season, after Sam told Sookie that they weren’t going to happen, I resigned myself to a non-Sookie/Sam ending on the show. Now…I’m wondering again. Another topic we discuss in this week’s podcast.

• andrea

June 30, 2014 at 10:15 am

Mel, except if you are in love, dating or married to someone who actually owns a bar or whose name is Sam….which would totally explain and support your prediction, I just can’t see how you could imagine CH’s ending with Sam and Sookie. I read all the 13 books and I’m usually pretty good when it comes to predict how things are turning. There I didn’t see it coming at all. Actually, the last book was so sloopy and incoherent that I really had a hard time reading it at all. I have no doubt that CH had decided that they were end game to start with. But along she got really inspired and taken far beyong this starting point by her own characters. She got just too lazy or tired to reconsider an alternative ending. I always thought that Sookie would eventually pack and go for a real career somewhere else, leaving all her vamp-shiffter and werevolf history behind. That is the kind of girl’s mental evolution I personally was hoping for ….I guess it was too much to hope for a waitress …

• esw45

June 25, 2014 at 1:02 am

LaLa, I think the Bill/Sookie stuff with them running off into the sunset is just too obvious….I don’t think they will end up together in the end…Bill will probably sacrifice himself for her in some way.

• lala

June 25, 2014 at 10:47 am

ESW45 – Fair enough….I definitely think Bill sacrificing himself for Sookie is a very real possibility and since BB keeps saying how this season is about redeeming Bill. I’m just nervous because I’ve felt for a while now that TB has become the Anna&Stephen show. I can only hope Bill dies for good! Who do you think that she’ll end up with then? Eric? Sam? Alcide? No one?

June 25, 2014 at 11:52 am

I don’t understand, the “Anna & Stephen” show? With an ensemble cast???

5. Shannon

June 24, 2014 at 10:24 pm

If you zoom in on the hand of the tall man sookie is looking up at, the hand has the signature blood around the fingernails. Leads me to believe it’s Eric

June 24, 2014 at 10:43 pm

I couldn’t get a clear enough view of the fingernails to be sure it was “blood” and not just dirt and grime from fighting the Hep-V vampires.

• esw45

June 25, 2014 at 1:04 am

I do think that is Eric’s hand caressing Sookie’s face…because he did that a lot in season 4…seems like something he would be doing to her.

6. Allison Cassell

June 25, 2014 at 6:19 am

I hope Bill and Sookie stay together because they love each other

• andrea

June 30, 2014 at 11:01 am

Nope, first Sookie loved Bill and Bill didn’t. He had a hidden agenda.
      Then Bill loved Sookie but it was too late she was with Eric.
      Third round : Sookie discovers she has feeling for both and since they are not willing to share her or even to fight for her (she waits a while before leaving and even behind the door, what was she expecting ??) she finally gave up on both.
      If you ever dated an ex boy friend …you know it never works out !!!

7. Laney

June 25, 2014 at 5:05 pm

I am really concerned about Eric now that I just read
    about the pic where he is made up to look like an infected vamp. Also there was thw little issue of his not being listed in the opening credits which I thought was because Eric was not in the episode but now Im not so sure. What does everyone else think?

• Rina

June 25, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I think Alex wasn’t in the credits because he didn’t appear in the episode. Only actors who appear in the episode get listed in the credits. The ultimate fate of Eric Northman is yet to be revealed. Let’s not jump to any conclusions. That’s how so many people ended up being wrong about the books.

8. Nata

June 25, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I think Ginger save or at least try to save Arlen and others.

• andrea

June 30, 2014 at 11:25 am

I just can’t wait to see Ginger again …how did she managed to escape Fangtasia before it was invaded by the Hep-V vamps ? If there is a secret passage (remember Eric directing the evacuation on season 1 during the police raid?) I’m pretty sure she knows about it …This could be a safe way out for our Bontemps girls !

9. Blomman

June 26, 2014 at 2:16 am

Thanks for breaking it down ! Really like the ep 1 , you gott high speed from the start . Best line Was soo pam ” no , my god f… k hates me ” bet she thought about Eric when she said that . The Jason and Violet and the car thing Was way to sexistisk for my taste and way to unrealistik . But then again Violet is a vampire . Cant wait to see Eric and really like to know how he survived and pam and him kiss and make up . They are epic lone but togheter Eric and pam are epic beond anywone . Sookies words Erics gone make me wonder if a plan of her need Eric involved and thats why she ask bill if Hej still can feel her fear ?

10. Sol

June 26, 2014 at 11:44 pm

the picture of Sam and the blond crying- I could be wrong but this looks like Rosie not Sookie
    RIP Kevin.
    also it’s unlikely Holly is being taken to see Sarah Newlin since in another trailer we see its actually
    Sookie who finds and hugs her in the woods holding a stake, this is probably the plan Sookie
    cooked up with Bill in the car (same clothes). we also know someone Sookie cares about possibly
    dies there (Alcide?). Bill is sitting on a tree and gets attacked there and we see a vampire gets shot
    and Sookie gets vampire goo all over her which is probably why she changes to the red shirt at Bill’s.
    note that Holly spends the night at Sookie’s house rather than be with her kids and the only person
    that isn;t there to see Holly in the morning is Alcide.
    one thing that gets me nervous is the fact we don’t see Jason in Sookie’s party, and Violet seems
    to be having a rough time. in fact the last place we see Jason he’s with Sookie and she’s wearing
    the same clothes as when she cries with Jessica. we also know Sookie is already grieving by the
    time of the party because she asks Arlene how to get through it. and Bill is definitely in the party
    alive and well.
    so.. don’t die Jason!!!

June 27, 2014 at 10:23 am

OK, who the heck is “Rosie”? Someone referred to her on our Facebook page, too, and I cannot figure out who y’all are talking about!

• Sol

June 27, 2014 at 11:56 am

seriously? Rosie is the blond phone operator from the police station and Kevin’s gf

June 27, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Goodness, she’s had bit parts in a handful of episodes. I forgot she even existed, let alone that she had a name.

But no, that’s Sookie with Sam. Watch the preview again in slo-mo if you can. Definitely Sookie.

• Genelle

July 14, 2014 at 3:34 am

I am really hoping that Hoyt comes back for his Mom’s funeral and him and Jason can “build” a friendship again. That storyline tore my heart up, and everytime they show Hoyt and Jason bits, it’s emotional. Good storyline but devastating.:-(

11. Joshua

June 27, 2014 at 6:05 pm

The last few trailers have been really good with tons of insight on how the story is building. Nichole certainly makes it out of the Fangtasia dudgeon. She is barely noticeable but visible in the scene where Violet and the other vampires at the house party drop fang in a seemingly protective response to something. If you pause that scene (.30) Nichole is the figure in front of them, you can see her face as she turns around.
    We also know that Pam will soon join her fellow Bon Temps vampires is some sort of mission. I think the mission has something to do with Eric and/or Willa because Pam would never join a mission if it didn’t directly involve Eric’s safety or at his request. This could be where The Figure or more likely Mr. Gus join the story but I digress. Pam can be seen (.46) along with Jessica, Willa, and a few others; of which I think, the woman in the very fashionable black dress is Eric’s new French
    lover.
    Also the scene where Sookie and Jessica are consoling each other is a great scene. Both Sookie and Jessica are not only crying but they are uncontrollably crying. Given that this takes place at Bill’s house, Sookie went there specifically for something. I think it could be to tell Jessica that something happened to Bill or Jason. Those are the only two characters that they would both be in such a seeming devastated state over.

• andrea

June 30, 2014 at 11:13 am

Thank you Joshua for your priceless insight !
      I’ll keep it in mind for the future episodes.
      I’m prepared to death and casualties along the road …just not right now, at the very beginning of the last season. Episode 9 (like for the red weeding in GOT) would be just fine with me !

12. sasa

June 28, 2014 at 9:58 am

I think the picture of Sookie resting/hugging the person with the black jacket with the zipper outline is not Bill. In the video that person was playing with her hair and due to the height difference (Sookie is right around his shoulders), I think it is also the same person at the end caressing her face. And who else do we know is a very tall man and tends to wear a black leather jacket? 🙂

• andrea

June 30, 2014 at 11:36 am

Well, Sookie is a tiny person and the camera angles can be deceptive.
      Hopefully you are right …