Recap 7.2 True Blood “I Found You”

“Damn. I knew it! And all this time I was blaming the NyQuil.”

This episode’s theme was “The brutal indifference of life.” Anyone in the cast can die. Got it. Even Eric, who is lounging about in France with a case of Hep V. And damn.

At least he’s back. The opening sex dream made me worried that it was all the Eric we would get this season, although it did confirm that the blood connection still existed. (I wonder if Jason has sex dreams about Eric all the time?) That dream sequence was very True Blood, and Kwanten and Skarsgard did a terrific job. But for some reason, it mostly made me cringe. I wonder why? I thought it was hilarious when it was Sam and Bill.

Meanwhile in Louisiana, the field trip to neighboring Saint Alice was very Walking Dead except without the mess, because someone cleaned up the entire town and put all the bodies in a mass grave. Who did that? The crazed Hep V vamps who are acting like desperate savages and leaving the bodies at Fangtasia all over the place? That made no sense. The apocalyptic graffiti was done neatly, too. Oh, well. At least we had that marvelous bit with Jason’s “pizza forensics”.

The Saint Alice scenes felt like set-up for Sookie reading the diary of a woman named Mary-Beth who fell for a vampire named Henry, so that we could have flashbacks to Sookie back in season one when she was madly in love with Bill. Sookie’s thoughts were so transparent that Alcide picked up on it, and I actually felt bad for him. I mean, Sookie has an incredibly hot werewolf lover who even showers when she asks him to, and she’s running off across the cemetery to Bill? Are they hinting that Sookie and Bill will be together again at the end of the series?

While Sookie, Alcide, the sheriff and the mayor were away, the townspeople of Bon Temps raided the Sheriff’s department and turned into stereotypes. Really? And Kenya has been a good cop forever and wasn’t actually internalizing until now that she’d been passed over for promotion? Maybe this was just their way of focusing on gun nut Vince as opposition for good mayor Sam, and making shifters into yet another focus of prejudice.

The best part of the episode (other than confirmation that Eric is alive and Jason with the pizza) was clever Arlene in the Fangtasia basement getting Betty Harris the former fourth grade teacher to see her and her fellow prisoners as people. It nearly worked, too. What happened to Betty? Did she just succumb to the Hep V while giving us some more fun gay imagery?

I was confused by what happened in the Tara plotline, too. In an absolutely cringeworthy I-have-to-look-away scene, Lettie Mae deliberately burned her hand in a skillet so that she could get healing blood from Willa. I totally believe Lettie Mae is sincere now, by the way, but was she hallucinating Tara on a cross encircled by a yellow boa constrictor, or is Tara in some sort of dead vampire dimension full of religious symbolism?

This episode did go a bit more quickly than the premiere, and the dialogue was more True Blood-like. But I am still feeling somewhat bummed by the direction they’re going this season. It’s sad when my favorite part of a True Blood episode is about pizza.

Bits:

— Alexander Skarsgard is back in the cast. Thank you. I hate that he’s in France, though, and sick. It makes me think we’ll never see Eric and Pam back with the rest of the cast again.

— Jason had his sex dream while napping in a pew.

— Adilyn did need Jessica, but unfortunately, it was day time. What was happening with the bite mark? Please don’t tell me something is wrong with Jessica, too?

— Mary-Beth’s diary was written in 2010 and 2011. I assume it’s still 2011 in True Blood Land?

Quotes:

Arlene: “I did not survive four lousy husbands, a serial killer boyfriend and the sordid suicide of my love Terry to die in the dingy basement of a fucking vampire bar.”

Jason: “Sometimes not being clever makes you a better detective.”
Andy: “This is a Starbucks card.”

Lettie: “It most definitely was Tara.”
Lafayette: “Well, it most definitely was Gandhi that I was playing Chinese Checkers with that time in the bathtub.”

Vince: “This town is full of vampers, has a dog for a mayor, and is being preached at by a telepath.”

Arlene: “I mean this in the nicest possible way, but aren’t you gonna die anyway?”

Two out of four convenient diaries,

Billie Doux

Billie Doux is the founder of Doux Reviews and has been reviewing her favorite shows for a ridiculously long time. More Billie Doux.

I'm a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Mel

June 30, 2014 at 9:21 am

I think the point of Mary Beth’s diary was to show that, despite what the people of Bon Temps and certain fans think, the vampire situation is NOT Sookie’s fault. Mary Beth also met and fell in love with a vampire, then all Hell broke loose.

Yes, it’s May 2011 in their timeline. Sookie met Bill in late summer 2008; it’s been less than 3 years since then in their world (and we missed a year of that between seasons 3 and 4).

2. jessica

June 30, 2014 at 10:19 am

I am sad but not surprised that Eric has Hep-V. That psycho doctor from vamp camp said it was highly contagious and Nora died in Eric’s arms. He was coated in her infected blood. Its really not the ending I expect for him so I’m hoping there’s some twist coming up…maybe a fairy cure for Hep-V? I do love Eric with feelings but I miss the strong fighter we all know him to be. I can’t imaging he’ll just give up and die.

• andrea

June 30, 2014 at 10:49 am

Jessica, don’t worry, there is a fairy cure …and they’ll find out pretty soon since :
      a- Jess got bitten and is probably infected
      b- I bet she’s going to be fed (and saved)by Adelyn
      c- We are supposed to be treated to a love triangle between Jess, James and Lafayette, so no way she dies now
      d- Eric and Sookie go to Dallas .. so the spoilers said !

I think you might be right about Nora infecting Eric. He would have been protected by Warlow’s blood for a while, again half fairy blood ….but he must have drunk a large quantity of blood during the phase of his recovery meaning a lot of possibilities to get infected as well.

3. Leslie

June 30, 2014 at 10:20 am

I would venture to guess that the bite marks in Jessica’s arm are self inflicted since she has not had anyone to feed on she attempted to feed off herself.

• Laney

June 30, 2014 at 11:00 am

The bite marks are from when Jessica fed Adeline (sp?) her blood at the end of the last episode. She wanted to be able to feel when Adeline was in trouble so she can help if she can. The marks haven’t healed yet though possibly because she hasn’t fed…I think

• andrea

June 30, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I totally forgot about her biting her own arm … you might be right and I would be wrong regarding Adelyn curing Hep-V with her blood …
        when feeding her eventually.

• Jerri

June 30, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I also believe the reason Jess isnt healing has to do with the fact that she hasnt eaten in a while. Remember in the first episode of the season, her bf said something to her about eating.

4. Nancy Guillory

June 30, 2014 at 11:25 am

I like where the show is going this season, bringing everything back to Bon Temps, which is a very ironic name for the town since it means “Good Time” in Cajun French. No one ever has a good time for very long do they? I like the interaction between Jessica and Andy, and I hope it’s leading up to Andy realizing they need Jessica, and they form a human/vampire alliance. As for Eric, in the books when Bill was silver poisoned his maker’s blood would have healed him but she was dead, so Sookie found another of Lorena’s progeny who healed him. I’m guessing that Pam, and even Nora, maybe more Nora since she’s so new, would be the cure for Eric, if he drinks their blood, which is his blood, which was Godric’s blood. Overall, I think the whole theme of this final season is acceptance and tolerance, and the fact that nothing, people, places, or things, is ever as simple, or clear cut as they first appears to be.

• andrea

June 30, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Nora was Eric’s sister, you probably meant Willa … you are definitively right about the power of your maker’s blood, except that this book specificity was never mentionned in the tv show and would have been used for sure by Eric when it could have saved Nora at the first place …but here again, he was not her maker and Godrik is gone ! And since Eric is sick himself, it seems to be a dead end anyway for the rest of his progeny.

5. Blomman

June 30, 2014 at 1:56 pm

This ep was to short ! one thing i find strange is that in season 1 bill told Sookie that a vampire just get a little sick and veek för like a month …. maybe the humans made it different ? That the sick vampires would digg a mass grave make now sence to me , maybe the American guverment decide to make it to put all dead in ? It was nice to see Eric again , dident like that hi was sick ! The way hi get curred better be good … it was nice to see pam find him !

June 30, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Bill was referring to Hep-D in season 1. This is Hep-V, a different and more potent strain.

6. Jerri

June 30, 2014 at 3:10 pm

The vamp that was drinking from Arlene. I dont think she simply succumbed to Hep V. I think Arlene is a carrier! If the Hep V vamps have to constantly drink (clean)blood to stave off their inevitable death, maybe drinking hep v blood would accelerate the progression causing instant death. Now noone is available to wake up the Hep V vamps, Maybe they will die in their sleep? Maybe Arlene will over herself up to be sacrificed since she knows they can die from drinking her blood? Or maybe she can use it as a bargaining tool to get the vampires to let her and her friends go.

• andrea

July 1, 2014 at 4:40 am

Arlene was probably tested at church for the one human-one vampire teaming.
      She died because she was very sick most probably,the point being that she had no time to free Arlene and Co. and that we have to wait and see what happends now to them … My best guess would be our favorite screaming bitch hopefully Ginger with Tara still alive. Basically Fangtasia would be the natural place to find them right ?? Defending their territory …

7. CindyJo

June 30, 2014 at 5:05 pm

I am so confused….I don’t remember Jason having Eric’s blood. I too have questions about why vampire Betty died while feeding from Arlene, why Jessica’s arm hasn’t healed, and worst of all…is Eric going to die?
    My husband was not pleased with how I reacted when I saw that Eric was sick. ooops 🙂

June 30, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Eric gave Jason some of his blood in episode 6.09, after freeing everyone in Vamp Camp.

• CindyJo

June 30, 2014 at 8:40 pm

thank you! My brain was hurting!

8. Laney

June 30, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Eric gave Jason his blood at vamp camp. Sarah Newlin threw Jason in with all the female vampires who nearly drained him. When Eric found him he was in bad shape so he gave Jason his blood.

As for all these previews and spoilers Im not going to pay too much attention to them because I then worry about which main character will be killed off next. As for Eric I dont doubt that a cure for him will be found and it will be interesting to see what that cure is.

I am really bothered by Taras death and would love to know what HOBO has to say about why they did it. Why why why HBO???

9. Billy

June 30, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Hi guys what the name of the song that was playing at the end? Please.

June 30, 2014 at 9:08 pm

“I Found You” by Alabama Shakes

• Billy

June 30, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Thank you so much!

10. Candice

June 30, 2014 at 8:59 pm

If hep v is so contagious, wouldnt all the vamps who fought the hep v vamps in episode 1 now have hep v? The hep v vamps were exploding all over everyone at Merlottes, does it infect humans too? There must be a cure for it if Eric survives it, or he might not actually have it al all, if he makes it through the next episodes. Thoughts?

June 30, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Humans can be carriers, but are immune to the disease itself. I think vampires have to ingest the infected blood to be infected, so as long as they kept their mouths shut and took showers, those who fought should be fine.

11. Stephanieb

June 30, 2014 at 9:13 pm

I need more LaLa! I’m enjoying the Jessica storyline and excited for the Eric/Pam story to get under way. I really hope Eric and Pam address Tara’s true death. ( I’m not buying that everything I touch dies crap was Pam acknowledging her ONLY progeny’s death.)

12. Candice

June 30, 2014 at 9:31 pm

So any hep v vamp who feeds on a human, like Betty did with Arlene, the human is now a carrier. I wonder if Adelyn is a carrier, and now Jessica has hep v, which is why she isnt healing. Its been a few hours since Adelyn drank Jessicas blood, so even though Jessica hasnt fed in a while, she still should have healed by now? I dont think Andy let Adelyn get tested at the church before the ‘every human a vampire, every vampire a human’ plan was announced, so if Adelyn is infected, she wont know it.
    On the bright side, for a human, saying you are hep v positive is the best way to keep a non infected vamp off your vascular beds!

June 30, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Adilyn has only been bitten by Jessica (she’s not part of the one human-one vampire thing ‘cuz she’s half-faerie), so I don’t think she’s a carrier.

• Cindy Jo

July 1, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Didn’t Eric bite Adelyn before he went to find Warlow in the fairy dimension? Was that after Nora had died and possibly contaminated him? Just a thought as to how Adelyn could be infected….

• Cindy Jo

July 1, 2014 at 6:00 pm

But that would be six months ago….Eric should be dead by now if that was the case, right?

July 1, 2014 at 9:12 pm

I would think so, yes.

13. Candice

July 1, 2014 at 10:57 am

I think Andy saying to Jason ‘a man needs a family’ is going to help shape Jasons journey and his relationship with Violet. Does he want marriage, does he want children, does he want Violet for these roles? I hope they develop him as an evolving person.

• Stephanieb

July 2, 2014 at 10:55 pm

I don’t think Violet can have kids though. Vampires can’t have actual children…I think? Mel can you help us out with this

July 2, 2014 at 11:01 pm

You are correct, vampires cannot have babies. They can create progeny by turning them into vampires, but they can’t procreate like humans do.

• candice

July 4, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Vamps cant get pregnant or give birth, but Jason can still consider all these things as far as “Do I want to continue this relationship with Violet and how to does she fit into all the parts of realtionships Ive come to believe are necessary?” He can still consider Violet in the context as mother, either through his own children(with another woman, no way would Violet be ok with that), or through creating progeny. I think its just part of what he will contemplate for his future, espcially in regard to the death and dying all around him.

14. Candice

July 1, 2014 at 11:09 am

I agree with Stephanieb, I think Pam would have had a bigger reaction to Taras death, despite her obsessive love for Eric. Did anyone ever see the utoob clip of Pam talking about her first progeny Colin who died? I dont remember the name of the clip. She didnt look particualrly sad, but I still think she would have been moved by Taras death.

15. Candice

July 1, 2014 at 11:21 am

PS how happy was I to see Maxine Fortenberry? But just throwing in past characters names (Hoyt, Terry) doesnt make the show any better. I see what they are trying to do, like they did last year at the funeral when Sookie asked her how Hoyt was. Nor does putting all the characters in the same room doesnt make the show better. I find it distracting. I am very glad they have whittled down the story lines, and havent heard anything about shifters or weres except for Sam and Alcide. If we can get through this season without any backwoods toothless people I will be so happy! Im looking at you Mickens and hot shot.
    I have to agree with the author of the recap, Im a bit ‘bummed’ by this seasons direction too. I can usually find one or two really good scenes in each episode, so far, none. Hope they are just building the suspense!

16. Candice

July 1, 2014 at 11:24 am

Know what else is distracting? My grammar. Holy schmoly, ignore the grammar mistakes, please. I gets all kinds of excited talking bout my True Blood!

17. candice

July 7, 2014 at 9:49 am

Dude I called Jason wanting a family!

July 7, 2014 at 10:12 am