In Memoriam: Saying Goodbye to [SPOILER]

SPOILER ALERT! If you have not yet watched episode 3, “Fire in the Hole”, you may wish to stop reading now if you do not want to be spoiled.

This one caught us off guard!

We were sure that he was leaving the show soon, but thought it would be his choice to leave Bon Temps, not through death.

Joe Manganiello joined True Blood in season 3, after learning about the role via our website and landing an audition. Listen to our interview with him from 2010 here.

Alcide was a werewolf, former Packmaster, contractor, and  loyal to the end. He was smitten with Sookie early on, but had to wait until she worked through issues with other men, and a lot of dangerous situations, before she was ready to try a relationship with him, currently her longest romantic relationship.

Say your farewells to Alcide Heveaux, the big werewolf, below.

Remembering Alcide Herveaux in pictures throughout the years:

Alcide Herveaux-isms:

“No matter how well you think you know somebody, they can just turn around and kick you right in the nutsack. ”

“It’s a Were thing. We run hot.”

“What if our hearts can’t be trusted and it’s our brains we should be listening to? ”

“I’ve no interest in being the new Packmaster. Or eating the old one.”

“That’s what death does, rips the ground right out from under your feet, makes you wonder if it was ever there to begin with, but it was and it will come back.”

1. Rina

July 6, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Alcide and Maxine Fortenberry’s deaths caught me completely by surprise. The writers are not holding anything back this season.

2. Mary Ann Peden-Coviello

July 6, 2014 at 9:08 pm

I did NOT see that coming! I’ll miss him. *sniffles*

3. Michele Carter

July 6, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Did notsee that coming. Love you Alcide. You will always be in my heart. RIP Alcide.i

4. Diana

July 6, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Goodbye, wolf!

5. Nothinbutjoy

July 6, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Another OSM in an OSSeason!

I’m gutted! If yelling at the tv could have brought him back, he’d be right as rain, because I (and I’m sure many others) was yelling BIG TIME!!

R.I.P. Alcide!

6. Brigitte

July 6, 2014 at 9:21 pm

So so so sad. Why Alcide? If I weren’t such a damn fan if the show I would boycott. But I can’t. Damnit! RIP Alcide. You were my favorite.

7. Gail

July 6, 2014 at 9:23 pm

So very disappointed they killed off Alcide. I will miss that handsome wolf.

8. Erin

July 6, 2014 at 9:32 pm

I’m ecstatic about Maxine! When I saw the bullet hit alcide in the head I froze in fear. Rip alcide. It’s a damn shame. You really loved Sookie!

9. NCH

July 6, 2014 at 9:33 pm

That was a shocker and very sad.

10. Amber

July 6, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Since Maxine is dead, I wonder if her son Hoyt will come home to bury his Mom. #Jessica&Hoyt

July 7, 2014 at 12:50 am

I was wondering that as well after watching that scene.

11. Amber

July 6, 2014 at 9:42 pm

So sad about Alcide. RipAlcide.

12. Kayla

July 6, 2014 at 9:43 pm

I seriously need to buy a box of tissues. Alcide…you sexy werewolf…r.i.p. The show will never be the same.

13. debra

July 6, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I do not like where the writers are taking the storyline. I get a feeling everyone on this show is going to die. This angers me this s not the way the show should be going. I thought their might be a movie in the next year or so. The way they are going their will be no movie. Thanks a lot writers and Charlaine Harris for messing this up big time!!!!!!

July 6, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I agree with Laney, Charlaine had absolutely nothing to do with this at all.

14. Laney

July 6, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I don’t think Charlie Harris has anything to do with this. She wrote the books she does not write for the show

July 7, 2014 at 12:49 am

Uhm, just FYI that’s ‘Charlaine’ not ‘Charlie’. 😉

• Laney

July 7, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Oops! Of course I know it is Charlaine and not Charlie, read every single book and own them all. I post from my phone most of the time which has an annoying auto correct feature and sometimes Im in a hurry and dont proof what I’ve written.
        On another note I do hope the heads will stop rolling. If they keep killing off characters at this rate there won’t be 10 episodes because everyone will be dead. I was really upset when Tara was killed and last night I was just numb. C’mon HBO all this killing is losing the shock value.

15. Sarah

July 6, 2014 at 10:26 pm

I thought this episode was really great!

• posh

July 6, 2014 at 10:54 pm

I thought it was a better episode than the past 2. I am REALLY bored with Sam’s story. But I will have to admitt for the second time tonight that after 7 years I am finnaly a fan of Bill Compton. Sucks it took this long hehe.

16. Dawn

July 7, 2014 at 7:03 am

I was shocked. Did not see this one coming. So sad they killed Alcide, its a shame. Great character. Was glad Maxine got it though, and she got it good. RIP Alcide…

17. Gina

July 7, 2014 at 7:36 am

OMG, I was shocked by the two deaths last esp Alcide’s! Totally did NOT see that coming. I am so sad. I LOVED his character! He truly loved Sookie! He will be missed!

18. Shyneece

July 7, 2014 at 7:47 am

I knew me being happy about Maxine’s death wouldn’t last long! Said hooray when she got her heart out ( thank you violet! ) but now Alcide? Knew he would go at some point maybe ep 8 or 9 but not this soon and not the way he did! Sookie gonna feel even more depressed thinking this was her fault!

19. Tabby1249

July 7, 2014 at 7:51 am

R.I.P., Alcide. You were a sweet, strong, calm eye in the crazy TB storm.

Thank you, Joe Manganiello, for 5 seasons as everyone’s favorite wolf and pack master. I can’t think of anyone who would have been better in that role.

20. Sarah

July 7, 2014 at 8:42 am

Farewell, Alcide.. I was never that big a fan, but you did deserve more than this. And you were part of one of my favorite Eric scenes, so thank you for that. (swimming in the sun)

21. Kim

July 7, 2014 at 9:04 am

I am sorry to see him go but I was really thought he would go later in the season…We will miss him for the rest of the season…..I am also so sorry they didn’t use him better…They had such a good story line going with the whole pack/Emma & his Father (Robert Patrick) ….then they just dropped it…Maybe if they knew they more than 1-season left …I don’t know but they didn’t do either actor any justice with the way the Story-line went…RIP Alcide….hope to see Joe Manganiello in other things

22. Jerri

July 7, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Maybe im the only one not disappointed by Alcide’s death. I think its because I really want to see Bill get back with Sookie! Hoyt’s mom’s death made me lol. But as much as I love Alcide I didnt feel to much when he died. But he was the only thing standing in between Bill getting back with Sookie. Sookie and Alcide just did not have the chemistry that she and Bill had, and we understand why when Sookie opens up to Bill about her true feelings ffor Alcide.

23. Bri

July 7, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I was shocked that Alcide died such a senseless death – but they had to clear him out of the way – Can’t have a happy relationship on TB after all. I was scared that Lala had passed – if they take him out, I will boycott! Pretty sure Violet will wander away from Jason and open him up to a “happily for however long TB allows it” with Jess.

24. Jessica

July 9, 2014 at 9:24 pm

DDD: this is just terrible. I bet you they are gonna kill off Eric soon. Probably Jason. Maybe Willa or Pam. Bill and sookie are gonna get back together. Jessica is probably gonna die. Violet too. The only two left are gonna be bill and sookie I guarantee it. Please for the love of true blood, if Eric really has to go…. LEMME KEEP JASON. If I can’t have both lemme have one or the other<3

25. Jennie

July 13, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I agree with you all, did not see if coming.
    I think I may have screamed and then held my breathe for the rest of the scene.

This better not be how they pick who Sookie ends up with, just kill them all off so theres only one left.