Recap 7.3 True Blood “Fire in the Hole”

“The fall wasn’t the worst part. It was the waiting.”

Much, much better. Even with the Shakespearean bloodbath. Okay, maybe it was just a Shakespearean puddle.

Last week, we were told that anyone could die, but I just wasn’t expecting to lose Alcide. Although I probably should have. Alcide had committed to Sookie, she didn’t include him in her “plan”, and now he’s lying dead in the woods, literally and metaphorically naked. There has been a lot of emphasis on family this season, on having children. Alcide wanted to have children (or puppies) with Sookie, and he was probably her best shot at a somewhat normal life. Not any more.

(Sookie said no to Jessica’s offer to make Alcide into a vampire. She was right. He would have hated that.)

Sookie’s plan to trap the Hep V vamps did actually work, and I thought that Sookie/Bill conversation where (obvious symbolism) she was sitting on the ground and he was perched in a tree way above her was another strong clue that the series will end with the two of them together. We even got a flashback to Bill saying goodbye to his family in 1862. Sookie can’t have babies with Bill, though. I wonder if Alcide left her something genetic to remember him by?

I thought Maxine Fortenberry’s demise was as unexpected and nearly as shocking as Alcide’s. Maxine has been comic relief in the series for a long, long time. I liked that little 1862 flashback bit where the photographer turned out to be a Fortenberry, by the way — nice touch. I’m just hoping that whatever Maxine shot Jessica with doesn’t turn out to be fatal, too.

Now that I have the Bill/Sookie possible re-pairing and our two shocking deaths out of the way, thank you, True Blood writers, for lots and lots of Eric and Pam, even if they are still in France. Their connection is one of the best things about True Blood, and I love Pam for refusing to let Eric go, even if he’s lost his taste for oysters and French vintner’s daughters.

The flashbacks to 1986 France were a lot of fun, with Eric naked with a lot of fluffy hair and speaking French, ooh la la. Sylvie’s importance to Eric seemed to come out of nowhere, though, although it explained why he went to the Rhone Valley to die. Plus it reintroduced the dreaded Authority (it was lovely to see Nan again, even though she did look like a Nazi) and the Yakanomo Corporation, who likes to execute people with swords. Eric had to choose between his lover Sylvie, and Pam. We all knew what he would do. Again with the family and children theme.

(Hey, even Jason was talking with Violet about adopting kids. Good luck with that, Jason.)

At least Pam managed to get Eric out of his deathbed and interested in life again. Or more accurately, interested in exacting revenge on Sarah Newlin, now a brunette, who has been hiding in Los Angeles with her guru. The Yakanomo Corporation is after Sarah, too. I do love Anna Camp in this role, and I’m happy they brought her back. Namaste.

Pam confirmed that Tara really did meet the true death. Willa is still alive, though, and I liked the blood-drinking scene where the Reverend told Willa about his sad past and how he met Lettie Mae. He thinks that Lettie Mae has replaced her addiction to alcohol with an addiction to vampire blood, and if this were real life, yes. But this is True Blood, so I doubt it.

Let’s see, what else? I’m confused about why and how the Fangtasia vamps were using Holly. It’s too bad that Carrie Preston is spending her final season of True Blood chained in a basement. And Vince and his maddened townpeople just saw their mayor sprout feathers and fly away. I hope this doesn’t mean Sam will have to leave Bon Temps. Oh, well. Maybe they’ll kill him off. They appear to be killing a lot of characters off.

Seriously, I wonder who’s next? I will say yet again that I’d very much like it if my favorite vampires made it out the other side. And that’s Eric, Pam and Jessica. If they don’t make it, I doubt I’ll ever rewatch the series again.

Bits and pieces:

— I enjoyed watching Lafayette and James reliving my college days, but it felt removed from the rest of the story. James confirmed that he’s interested in Lafayette but is being faithful to his unsatisfactory relationship with Jessica.

— James said that vampires can’t swallow pills. That makes sense. And that made me think about … maybe I’d better stop there.

— When Sookie was leaning over Alcide’s body, I kept expecting that Hep V blood to drip into her mouth. It took some of the gravitas out of that scene.

— Adilyn and Wade are finally connecting. Or connecting again.

— I don’t recall a lot of the details about Authority, but clearly, the Yakanomo Corporation didn’t just develop Tru Blood for the profits. Were they always the power behind Authority?

— Let me say again that I particularly liked the Sookie and Bill ground/tree conversation. It was shot beautifully and showed their connection.

Quotes:

Pam: “Saint Petersburg. Eric, you know how I hate the Russian people.”

Eric: “Did you play the bucket game?”
Pam: “I did.”
Eric: “I love the bucket game.”

Nan: “We can’t have it both ways. Either living in hiding, or out in the open. But we can’t very well remain hidden if we are publicly biting, fucking and sucking the vintner’s daughter.”
I’ve missed Nan.

Nan: “With Tru Blood, mainstreaming is going to become a reality.”
Eric: “And everyone lived bored and suicidally ever after.”

Pam: “I am as big a fan of the French vagina as you are, Eric, but come back to earth. She’s just a human.”

Kenya: “Your daughter struck me with lightning that shot out of her hands.”
Andy: “I know, and I’m very proud of her.”

Sookie: “Come on, y’all, I taste of sunshine and flowers and I’m right fucking here.”

Eric: “For more than a thousand years, the world has been my oyster.”
Pam: “And it still can be. I’ll do anything.”
Eric: “I’ve lost my taste for oysters, Pam.”

Best episode of the season so far, and it felt so much like True Blood of old. Three out of four oysters,

Billie Doux

Billie Doux is the founder of Doux Reviews and has been reviewing her favorite shows for a ridiculously long time. More Billie Doux.

I'm a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Delorise

July 7, 2014 at 9:19 am

Is it possible that Pam tried to make Sylvie a vampire before she completely slipped away? Could that be who she referred to when she made Tara and said she had done it before and it hadn’t turned out well?
    And the HepV group took Holly along as a snack on-the-go, correct?

July 7, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Pam’s first progeny was a man named Colin..

Yes, they took Holly as “trail mix”.

• Delorise

July 9, 2014 at 11:39 am

Well, shoot, somehow I missed this. I found the video where she tells about making Colin… Apparently it’s a blu-ray extra? Makes me wonder what else I’ve missed. Do we know what happened to him?

2. Sarah

July 7, 2014 at 10:21 am

I agree with you, Billie. I don’t know what everyone is complaining about.

3. Liz

July 7, 2014 at 10:44 am

Nice recap! I do however disagree with your prediction that Bill and Sookie will end up together as a couple again. That ship has sailed. I still think they are going to keep the spirit of the books. Perhaps Sookie will end up with no one.

4. Mandy

July 7, 2014 at 11:58 am

Why is it so out of the question that Sookie could end up with Eric? I re-watched the entire series and the connection between the two of them is undeniable. I know that Bill was her first and blah blah blah…I used to think Bill was the one. But after re-watching the show, I don’t see how Bill and Sookie move on from what happened between them in Seasons 5 and 6. Even in Season 6, Sookie staked Bill for Eric.

• BillieDoux

July 7, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Mandy, I am a total Eric/Sookie shipper. But I realized a couple of seasons ago that the writers just weren’t going to make me happy and I stopped hoping for it. If they actually did end the series with Sookie and Eric together, I’d be shocked and pleased.

July 7, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Honestly Mandy, I don’t think Sookie will end up with a vampire at all. She is a child of light and she needs that light and the warmth from it. Vampires cannot give that to her. They live by a set of rules that Sookie just can’t completely get behind. For one thing, no one will ever own her and both Bill and Eric have called her “Mine”. I think that was a bit of a stumbling block for Alcide as well. Sookie wants to be loved not owned.

• Angi

July 8, 2014 at 8:30 am

Mel,
        Until Alcide’s death, I would have argued with you. Now, though, I totally agree. Sookie is not going to get over losing him that quickly. She loved him, she lost him because of a choice she made. She already feels responsible for the mess Bon Temp is in and for Tara’s loss. This is going to take a while, and, unless they do a time jump, she won’t recover soon. I predict a beautiful friendship with Bill and possibly Eric, if she gets to have further contact with him. But, just like Gram’s ghost told her in season 4, she’ll be just fine on her own. She’s gotten strong, she knows who she is, and she’ll be okay. And, one day, she’ll be able to try again. I don’t think we the audience will get to see it. Do we know who wrote the script for the finale? I think that might be telling.
        Angi

• Traci West

July 7, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Early on in the series, Eric made it plain that he wanted Sookie, and would do anything to get her; in fact, I’d bet it was Eric who sicced Lorena back onto Bill in Season 2. Eric tricked Sookie into taking his blood that season. Sookie and Eric didn’t even get together until Season 4, and that was only because Marnie and the other witches cast a spell that gave Eric a radical personality change. That change lingered after the spell was broken; it was probably the reason why Eric was actually able to fall in love with Sookie. However, there’s no guarantee that Eric has permanently changed; I’m thinking that’s the reason why Sookie ultimately rejected Eric along with Bill. I don’t know that I would trust him, either.

5. Traci West

July 7, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Here’s a thought; Eric and Pam track down Sarah Newlin, and Eric makes her his progeny. Sarah a vampire with Hep-V? Poetic justice!

• Jerri

July 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm

That would be hilarious!

6. Traci West

July 7, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I wonder; is the reason why Jessica didn’t heal herself after Maxine Fortenberry shot her because she’s been infected with Hep-V?

• Jerri

July 7, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I think its because she hasnt fed. Remember her boyfriend telling her to eat before she left for the Bellefleurs?

7. Jerri

July 7, 2014 at 1:02 pm

As far as Sookie being preggo with Alcide’s baby? I doubt it. Alcide and Sam would’ve smelled it by now, right? Just as they did with Sam’s girlfriend. Oh and I think the V-vamps were using Holly as bait. So she could lure her friends out to help her. It did seem like they picked because she was a witch, however.

8. tamy

July 7, 2014 at 4:19 pm

possible bill/sookie? YAWN, this was obvious since the beginning. Tell me something I don’t know.

July 7, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Well, you don’t know that Sookie will end up with Bill. It’s actually highly unlikely, but you can wait and see.

9. summerfree

July 7, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Unfortunately, I believe Eric will die. Recently, the show has been telling me that Pam has been the reason of logic out of the two.

And I also feel, Sookie will become vampire/fairy breed. One of the posters for True Blood, has Sookie crying blood. Am I thinking too far into it?

• Traci West

July 10, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I doubt she will become a vampire/human/fairy hybrid. If that’s what she wanted, she would have let Warlow turn her last season.

10. Lee

July 7, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I think there is a possibility that sookie will end up with eric (or no one). I think the flashback scene where eric had to choose between sylvie and pam was put in not only to introduce a new villain but to hint that he will be placed in a similar predicament but this time having to decide between pam and sookie – and I think he will choose sookie (but probably with pam’s support). I also think bill will be killed and will sacrifice himself to save sookie and/or other humans to redeem himself – there seems to be a strong focus on him making amends and reconnecting with his humanity. I don’t think he’ll end up with sookie – they seem to be forcing it a bit too much so it’s too obvious.

11. Stephanieb

July 7, 2014 at 7:54 pm

The deaths have been very anticlimactic so far. None have been gasp inducing. I find the LaLa/James scenes breathe life into the show. I’m over Sookie. I hope Jessica pulls through and Hoyt comes back to bury his mama. I actually want the finale to find Pam and Eric starting over somewhere as the lone survivors of Bon Temps.

12. Rina

July 7, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Thanks for the recap. I agree that this episode was much more enjoyable than the previous two. This story is based on the idea that life is uncertain and unpredictable. All is possible. I am not taking anything for granted.

13. CindyJo

July 7, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Well, I was completely shocked at Alcide’s death. I came up off the couch and actually cried. I was not expecting his death at all.
    And yes, I too was worried about the Hep V blood dripping into Sookie’s mouth! Enjoyed the flashbacks with Eric and really enjoyed seeing Nan again! Good episode, although sad.

14. Elizabeth

July 8, 2014 at 2:42 pm

This was a great episode and a great recap. As much as I wish it, I don’t believe Eric and Sookie will be together in the end, although they might share one (just ONE) measly little moment of closeness to make the Eric fans happy, on the order of what we saw in E1 of last season when he signed Sookie’s home back over to her. But I think that’s all we will get. Then the rest will be Bill, Bill, Bill who has magically transformed himself back into this sweet little selfless vampire from Seasons 1 and 2. Wow, what 6 months and an outbreak of HepV will do to an arrogant self-absorbed power hungry vampire like Bill.

I think Lee’s theory is a good one about Eric facing a similar choice involving Sookie. But I think he will again offer himself up to die in her place; if I’m not mistaken he has done so before. And this time, I think he will die a martyr and Sookie will cry a couple tears but will forget Eric in about 2 minutes time. Other than a physical attraction, I don’t think Sookie has ever loved or appreciated Eric. She doesn’t deserve him in my opinion and I can’t for the life of me understand why I keep rooting for them as a couple.

I had heard a rumor that Eric wrapped up filming sooner than the rest of the cast – so I have a feeling he will die before the finale. I’m DREADING it, but I’m certain it’s coming. He’s the real hero of this series – not Sookie.

• amy Cooper

July 11, 2014 at 11:15 am

I heard that Alex had filming to do for Tarzan in London so they worked out of order to film all of Eric’s scenes. I think this is real and has no bearing on Eric’s survival or true death.

15. amy Cooper

July 9, 2014 at 10:45 am

I think the reason we were shown Eric and Sylvie’s relationship and end was to show us why Eric became so hard and cynical. Only Sookie has really come close to cracking his hard shell and the real Eric was the one who lost his memory. I do think that Sookie is Eric’s salvation but will it happen? If it doesn’t I think Eric will die but not before he saves Sookie one more time and kills Sarah (Newme) Newlin.

Question: Is Holly still with the Hep V vamps?I have to watch again to see how many of them survived the attack. I expected Andy to just reach out and grap Holly, but I guess all the confusion and the mess he wasn’t able to. Any inside to what is happening with Holly?