Recap 7.4 True Blood “Death is Not the End”

Pam: “I hate Shreveport.”
Eric: “Oh, come on. It’ll be a trip down Memory Lane.”

And what a trip it was. Maybe having an end in sight is giving the writers creative juice, because this was an absolutely excellent episode.

Although they probably couldn’t miss with an episode centered on Eric and Pam that included flashbacks to the founding of Fangtasia. I am loving how they keep bringing old friends back. Let me amend that. I wouldn’t call the despicable Magister an “old friend”, but I was surprisingly happy to see him. And what a surprise that Fangtasia was a punishment, back when it was a skeezy video store with Twizzlers, not Red Vines.

Eric was made the Sheriff of Area 5 in 1986, and he and Pam ran that video store for twenty freaking years. I laughed out loud when our beloved screaming Ginger showed up in 1996, looking like a completely different person who was just deeply into the vampire movie genre. I laughed when Eric came in with big hair and said “Good evening,” just like Bela Lugosi. And 2006, when Ginger burst in with Eric’s throne and her idea of making it into a nightclub, I grinned like a loon. How perfect that Pam stole the idea and the name of the club from Ginger, and glamored it out of her. Pam is such a bitch, but just like Eric, we love her.

In fact, most all of the episode was a trip down Memory Lane. We got Jackson Herveaux in Jackson, Mississippi, receiving the unfortunate news of his son’s demise. And then “poor sweet fucking Hoyt” in Anchorage, Alaska learning of his mother’s death from his best friend Jason, whom Hoyt doesn’t even remember, and that was sad. I’ve always been fond of Hoyt and I hope we’ll be seeing more of Jim Parrack in the final six episodes. Something tells me that he and Jessica might get back together, now that they’ve had time to learn and grow and experience the world separately. Except that he won’t remember her. Maybe they’ll get back together, anyway.

Can I say how relieved I was that Jessica wasn’t healing simply because she was starving herself out of guilt, and how happy I was that James made her drink Lafayette’s blood? And speaking of the inevitable (although I could be wrong), Sookie offered herself to Bill because she knew he needed to be strong for the Battle of Fangtasia, and there were heavy romantic vibes going on there.

Surprisingly, there were also heavy romantic vibes when Eric showed up and Sookie threw herself into his arms and they obviously reconnected in a big way. Thank you, True Blood writers, for not ignoring the Sookie/Eric shippers. Even though Eric’s weakness during the final scenes made it look like they’re still planning to kill him off.

This last season is about our humans and our vamps coming together as a community, and the Battle of Fangtasia was a blast: Sam infiltrating as a rat, Eric and Sookie undercover with her as his human, all of our vampires coming in via the Underground Railroad tunnel (no, no symbolism there), the humans backing them up, slomo action, and a lot of bad vamp puddles and bad vigilantes on the tarmac. I thought we were going to lose Arlene for sure, especially when she saw Terry coming for her, but we didn’t, and that scene was a lovely goodbye to Terry. And then there was a terrible moment when I thought Eric was gone, but no — he was just busy eating Kevin’s widow.

The only thing wrong with this episode was that it was so good that it had the impact of a series finale, and there are six episodes to go. Let’s hope it’s not downhill from here.

Bits:

— Hoyt (Jim Parrack) is back in the cast. As I said, I really do hope it’s not just for this one episode.

— I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: nearly everything Pam says makes me laugh out loud.

— Sam wanted to fly (or gallop) to Fangtasia immediately to rescue Nicole, but was smart enough to listen to reason and wait for the vampires.

— Along with death notifications for Jackson Herveaux and Hoyt Fortenberry, Jason also had to tell Kevin’s widow Rosie that he was dead. And he held her, just like Andy held Holly. I was glad that Holly made it, because Andy has had enough grief.

— Lafayette still feels responsible for Jesus’s death, even though it wasn’t his fault. I noticed that James was interested and affected by that revelation.

— I wonder if Jane Bodehouse is thinking that she just has a particularly bad case of the DTs?

Quotes:

Jackson: “He loved the fuck out of you, Sookie.”
Class with a capital K, Jackson.

Magister: “This place smells like sperm and piss and bad hair dye, and it’s all yours.”

Eric: “Leave it to humans to make sex this depressing.”

Pam: “A girl who knows a thing or two about good vampire cinema. It’s rare.”

Jason: “Kevin was a good man. With a funny voice.”

Sookie: “It’s just lunch.”

Lafayette: “Wakey wakey, vampire homies.”

Ginger: “You are never going to guess what I found!”
Pam: “Is it a shitty chair?”

Ginger: “Sex sells. And Eric Northman is nothing if he’s not pure fucking sex on a throne.”
I think most of us would agree with that sentiment.

Eric: “You didn’t.”
Pam: “I did.”
Eric: “Such a bitch.”
Pam: “But you still love me.”
Eric: “Always.”

Jason: “This is our Normandy. Who’s with me?”

Eric: “Pam tells me you wrote a book in which you claim not to be an asshole anymore. Is this true, Bill?”
It was Skarsgard’s delivery that made this line so funny.

Eric: “As your maker, I command you… later.”

Pam: (re: Sookie) “She’s like a fucking fungus that just won’t go away.”

Arlene: “I’m sorry. Were you just a rat?”

Terry: “Be happy.”

This is what I was hoping they would do in their final season, but was worried they wouldn’t. Four out of four Twizzlers,

Billie Doux

Billie Doux is the founder of Doux Reviews and has been reviewing her favorite shows for a ridiculously long time. More Billie Doux.

I’m a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Mel

July 14, 2014 at 10:00 am

SUCH a good episode. So, so, so good. And you know I liked the first 3 episodes this season, too. Cannot wait to see what happens next!

2. sookieeleana

July 14, 2014 at 10:33 am

Best episode of the season so far.

Eric & Sookie – I love them so much! Was that the end? I really, really hope not. Such a shame he is going off to Dallas next week. The show is much stronger when Eric is with the rest of the cast, especially Sookie. And I loved the Ginger flashbacks! And Carrie Preston was outstanding (again).

3. Mary D. Lilyquist

July 14, 2014 at 10:35 am

This episode was perfectly written and executed. I’ve watched it a couple of more times since it first aired. So many wonderful scenes that truly get to your heart. I still believe that Eric will be saved and Sookie is the key. <3

• summerfree

July 14, 2014 at 8:28 pm

I agree!

4. esw45

July 14, 2014 at 10:42 am

This was a great episode ….Eric and Pam was great and Ginger was funny ….Eric and Sookie was emotional and seem to have feelings that are still there ….hopefully this is not the last time we see them together…I enjoyed the episode.

5. Laney

July 14, 2014 at 11:22 am

Oh what a great episode!! It was so good I watched it a second time which is not something I was moved to do with the first three episodes. Oh please HBO do not kill Eric off. Perhaps Niall, who we haven’t seen yet, will swoop in to save Eric with his pure fairy blood. I am afraid to hope Eric makes it. I especially loved the way Sookie and Eric just stared at each other from across the room at Fanstasia at the end. A hint of things to come maybe?

• BW

July 14, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Does anyone know when Niall is supposed to show up?

July 14, 2014 at 2:30 pm

We’re guessing around episode 7, based on when Anna Tweeted about working with him (May 22), but they’ve been filming scenes out of order a lot this year, so it’s hard to know for sure.

• BW

July 14, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Thanks, Mel. That seems about right based on the synopses for 5 and 6.

6. Elizabeth

July 14, 2014 at 11:22 am

Sigh, big sigh! I loved this episode, and agree it was just about perfect. There were so many moments where I found myself positively giddy to see the cast in the same place, working together. I was pleasantly shocked to see the reception Sookie gave Eric – never would have guessed that in a million years. Hope there are more of those pleasant surprises to come. I found myself with the tiniest glimmer of hope that maybe Sookie and Eric will have a real moment of romance before the end (where his brain is actually intact.)

It was sad to see Eric so weak – trying to punch through that wall, with Bill and Pam having to cover for him.

What does it mean when a human becomes a HepV carrier, like that flight attendant? Assume that means no vamp will be able to bite her without getting infected? I’m sure this is obvious to everyone but me… but I guess I’m trying to put it all together with how faery blood may be different, and why a bite of Arlene caused the vamp teacher to implode.

July 14, 2014 at 11:54 am

Right, the flight attendant can no longer offer herself as an uninfected food source for vampires. Apparently that was the main reason she got the job as flight attendant on a plane that caters to vampires.

• Elizabeth

July 14, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Ah, makes perfect sense. I was wondering why she was so worried she’d be fired…

7. Rina

July 14, 2014 at 12:17 pm

This was the most entertaining episode of the season so far. It felt like the good old True Blood again. I kept alternating between crying hysterically and laughing hysterically. Loved Sookie taking charge. Loved revisiting old characters. Loved the Fangtasia flashbacks. That bar became a character on the show and deserved its own backstory, especially since Merlotte’s is technically no more. Can’t wait to see what TB has planned for its midway episode next Sunday.

8. Tracy

July 14, 2014 at 12:18 pm

I enjoyed it a lot, too. Trying to not get my hopes up that they’re going to end with Eric and Sookie together. I still think that won’t happen, but it was nice to see Sookie actually glad to see Eric again. And being nice.

9. Debbie

July 14, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I loved this episode and this is a great review. I didn’t see the Sookie/Bill romantic connection though. I think the flashbacks to Bill’s past with his family is suggestive that Bill will somehow reconnect with them in the end. I’m starting to think he will be killed off soon, as they seem to be trying hard to redeem him.

• BW

July 14, 2014 at 1:42 pm

I found Bill a lot more entertaining this season than he has been in a while, but I agree. If Bill/Sookie is their endgame they’re not really selling me on it.

10. BW

July 14, 2014 at 12:39 pm

The Sookie/Eric moments were a pleasant surprise. It was nice to see some genuine emotion on both their parts, considering how things were left between them at the very beginning of last season. It was a very …charged scene. It was too soon for anything romantic, given what just happened with Alcide, but the undertones were there. It seemed like everything was spinning for Sookie and someone finally just gave her what she needed. I’m definitely feeling more of a connection between Eric and Sookie than Bill and Sookie, even after only a few scenes. It makes you wonder how much of Sookie’s attraction to Bill was really in the blood…though it’s obvious he loves her.

Bill maybe had the best line of the night, “See, not an asshole anymore”, and I was surprisingly happy to see him having a little moment with Pam in there. His delivery was perfect.

Jason was classic Jason, goodhearted and comic relief, which was nice to see.

And the flashback scenes were pure gold. The magister, throwing the keys at Pam, JasonPriestly-Eric, Ginger, Garbage, total gold.

Definitely my favourite episode of the season so far. I’m excited for next week.

11. nata

July 14, 2014 at 12:53 pm

This was an excellent episode. The reason for me is that the show comes alive when sookie and eric are together. I hope Eric can be save, I think fairy blood can be the cure, as many have mentioned Neill may be able to save him, maybe in exchange for sookie going to fairy land with him. I will prefer sookie and eric together, but at least in that way sookies dosen’t get in more troubles.

12. fa

July 14, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Previous episodes was so weak in my opinion, but this one, best so far, well done.

13. Pale Fire

July 14, 2014 at 4:19 pm

For me this was absolutely one of the best TB episodes ever, and reminded me why I fell in love with it in season 1. Lala, Jason, Pam, and Eric were at their very best. I’ve been one to question why I’ve continued to watch the show over the past few seasons. I guess it was in the hope that i’d get an episode like this 🙂

14. Lisa

July 14, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Great episode. Happy to see the intense chemistry between Eric and Sookie. I agree with previous posts that I do not see Sookie showing much emotion towards Bill. Anna Paquin is an excellent actress and I am sure this is done purposefully. Loved the flashbacks in Fangtasia and was so happy to see Hoyt. Sounds like Jason may be going to get him. I cant imagine him sending anyone else. Cant wait for the next episode. Keep them coming!!!

15. Kim

July 14, 2014 at 6:34 pm

This was by FAR the best episode this season. I will re-watch before Sunday. I haven’t really cried for an episode in awhile, but Arlene’s performance was outstanding! Thought for sure they were going to kill her off. One less person for Sookie to lean on.

I am never disappointed with the flashbacks. They always deliver. Ginger is a hoot, as usual.

Seems like the old True Blood is back. Glad they got rid of the vigilantes too.

16. candice

July 14, 2014 at 6:59 pm

One of the best episodes in years! I loved how they shot Eric, Pam, and the Magister walking down the stairs into the video store ‘dungeon,’ like so many times before they showed them walking down the stairs into Fangtasias dungeon. That was a really good shot, imo.
    I also liked how they wrote for Jason this episode, he was still simple but not a fool like he has been the past few years.
    Jessicas storyline is prob not going to be my favorite this season, I see a love triangle with her, James, and Lafayette, and I really hope the writers develop it well, that has the potential to be boring, again, imo.
    Lafayette seemed a little superfluously colorful, wheres my old Lafayette? Its like hes on display for the viewers, doesnt seem authentic.
    I actually liked Bill this episode. Ginger was a riot, when she first saw Eric. And oh, how I missed Hoyt and Terry.

July 14, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Hmm, not sure I understand what you mean about Lafayette. That’s Lafayette the way we have seen him time and time again. #confused

• candice

July 15, 2014 at 9:15 am

I hope we see Eric and Ginger get together at least once, he did promise her last season they would indeed f*&k. They made good on the Eric/Jason set up, I hope Ginger, now a season regular, gets her due 😛

17. Meg

July 14, 2014 at 8:46 pm

my quick prediction….Japanese scientist that Bill mercifully let go last season will develop the cure for HepV. But…the drug can only stay stable…or can only be synthesized( whichever) in fairy vampire blood ( aka warlow) . Warlow was a prince fairy turned by original vampire, Lilith. Bill is only living vampire with lilliths vampire blood. Sookie is only living fairy princess heir. Sookie will sacrifice her life, and Bill will turn her to fairly vampire. Her blood will be used to manufacture hep v cure. Hep V epidemic and Eric will be saved.

July 15, 2014 at 9:36 am

Bill no longer has Lilith’s blood, remember? He told Sookie that in last week’s episode. He was drained the day he saved the vampires from the camp last season. Your predictions are fun and good ideas, but I have a really hard time believing that Sookie will be turned vampire. I’m 99.9% sure that won’t happen. However, I do think that her blood (and maybe Niall) will be key in the cure.

18. posh

July 14, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Okay Liz…just a little ice chipped away concerning Sookie. She got brownie points for the “It’s just lunch.”
    Finally becoming a Bill fan really sucks at this point for soon it will all be over.

19. Stephanieb

July 15, 2014 at 12:53 am

This episode scares me. It was so good. I don’t know how they will top it. I’m glad my wish for a glimpse of Hoyt came true. And LaLa has a lot of healing to do. I expect he will make it and live a long life( preferably as Pam’s new progeny). I’m really surprised Nicole made it out of the dungeon and am curious to see if her baby is gonna be a shifter. And am I the only one that felt old after seeing Arlene’s kids? They’ve gotten so big! And that Terry scene was one of the best in the entire series. It was very beautifully done.

20. Deborrah

July 15, 2014 at 7:11 am

I just don’t see a Bill and Sookie reunion. I think Bill is going to be reunited with his family. Maybe when Eric is about to kill Sarah Newlin or near death, he will see Godric again. Godric is just too popular not to have another cameo. As for Sookie…I keep going back to the scene in season 2 where Eric tells her about the bond of a maker and child is very strong and maybe one day she too will experience it. I know bad paraphrasing. Since the episodes were shot out of order and Alex did not appear in the first two episodes and left early, I think he will be in the series until the finale. So maybe a Sookie/Eric ending is an option.

• candice

July 15, 2014 at 9:23 am

Thats a good idea, Deborrah, for Bill to be reunited with his human family! They are definitely setting up the possibility for that to happen. I just started reading the books, I’m on the fourth one right now, dead to the world, and so far in the series, Bill gave the ‘inheritance’ to the Bellefleurs without them knowing. Maybe that will show up somehow in the tv show. Bill already knows hes related to them, which is why he stopped dating Portia. Maybe he will get closer to his other relatives instead, his daughters descendants. We shall see!

• Deborah

July 15, 2014 at 1:36 pm

I was thinking more like Bill will meet the true death and be reunited with his wife and children.

21. Marcia

July 15, 2014 at 2:04 pm

This episode made me fall in love with True Blood all over again! So many things to love!! The Ginger flashbacks were a riot, especially when Pam fessed up to Eric the truth about Fangtasia. Jason reconnecting with Hoyt. Eric and Sookie’s spark seemingly rekindled. And the scenes with Arlene and Terry and finally a chance for us viewers to say goodbye to Terry. He was a real favorite of mine and I hated how he died so stupidly. I also kind of enjoyed Willa’s reaction to Eric:)

I only hope the rest of the season can be as good as this episode.

22. melissa

July 17, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Silly question. I was wondering why Eric was so weak when the other H vamps who are further along in the disease are still so strong.

23. Traci West

July 19, 2014 at 6:50 pm

One of the things which really struck me about this episode is that Sookie is in a state of almost complete emotional shutdown. I wonder, under what circumstances will she finally break down and cry?