True Blood Radio: “Death Is Not the End” (Or #1 Crush)

We have nothing but raves for this week’s episode of True Blood. RAVES. Eric and Pam flashbacks (with bonus Ginger!), Eric and Sookie reuniting, sightings of some familiar faces, the rescue at Fangtasia, Sookie in charge – we are unapologetic fangirls this week.

Things we talked about

1. Antonella

July 17, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Hello!
    It’s always nice to hear your comments on True Blood. I agree with you the fourth episode was fenomenal! I loved it so much and it’s absolutely my favorite so far.

I wish I could go to Comic Con, it’s a dream for me but I live in Italy, too far. So have fun in san Diego, I’m going to wait for you up dating with photos/twitter (Thanks a lot).

Ciao from Italy

2. Rina

July 17, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Great podcast, ladies. This was an awesome TB episode. One of the best ever.

Speculation: Eric was weaker than the H-Vamps because he hadn’t fed since he got off the plane, while they have just fed on Arlene. The virus saps the vampires’ energy and strength, but a fresh influx of blood temporarily revitalizes them. After Eric fed at the end of the episode, he looked and felt much stronger.

3. sookieeleana

July 18, 2014 at 1:46 am

Great broadcast, I was smiling all the way through it, just like I was smiling (or crying) throughout the wonderful episode this week.

I agree with the post above about Eric and Hep V vamps. Eric looked physically stronger in the finale scene straight after he fed, and I think maybe in an earlier episode the Hep V vamps said they had to feed every hour to keep up their strength? That’s why they kept a supply of humans in the basement to use.

One small issue is about Mel saying Eric wouldn’t sacrifice himself for Sookie unless he thought he was definitely dying. He has already offered to do this twice in the show. At the Fellowship of the Sun in Season 2, he offers himself up if they will let Sookie and Godric go, and at the end of Season 4, he and Bill agree to kill themselves for Marnie if she lets Sookie go. We also saw him ask to be killed in exchange for both Pam and Sylvie living in the flashback this season. So yes he’s a jerk sometimes (that’s one of the things that makes him such a great character) and yes he doesn’t care about random humans like air hostesses, but he would do anything for the very small group of people that mean something to him, and Sookie is one of them. I don’t think he will end up sacrificing himself for Sookie, and I hope Bill doesn’t do that either. Sookie already feels enough quilt about people who have died.

July 18, 2014 at 9:58 am

I get what you’re saying, and I did remember that Eric had offered himself up before, but in season 2 I felt like that was more about Godric than Sookie and in season 4, he was still connected to Sookie post-amnesia. At this point, though, does he feel enough for her that he’d sacrifice himself? If they were together, then maybe, but I don’t think he would in the current state of their relationship.

• esw45

July 18, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Mel, I agree Eric is about himself but when it comes to Sookie …that’s a different story …I think he would sacrifice himself for her

4. Glenn

July 18, 2014 at 10:02 am

I was disappointed to see the Godric character have such a short lifespan on the series. I only just started watching from Season 1 this month, and Godric was by far the most noble, humane, and sympathetic creature despite the negative allusions to his less-than-saintly 2,000 year life. His portrayal was also brilliant. His warrior bearing/presence, ancient Gallic/Celtic tatoos, and the subtle Old World accent discernable in his spoken modern English all attest to someone’s extensive historical research or their intimate connection with the Europe of Godric’s youth.

July 19, 2014 at 9:00 am

Godric was an AMAZING character and showed us a different side of Eric. Really hope we see him one more time before the end.

5. Steph

July 18, 2014 at 1:19 pm

This was a GREAT episode! Loved watching Ginger drag Erics “throne” out of the hearse and into the video store!LOL!! I will never watch that scene when you first see Eric at Fangtasia sitting in that chair with Pam at his side the same way again.

6. sasa

July 18, 2014 at 5:30 pm

I dislike the whole Sylvie storyline. I understand that was what was needed as a vehicle to introduce the Japanese corporation and how Eric and Pam came to be in Shreveport. It just made it seem like oh Eric just falls in love every 30 years and diminishes how special Sookie is to Eric. 30 years is really like a blink of an eye in his whole timeline… Eric was introduced as someone not really valuing humans and when he gave himself up for Sookie more than once, that was supposed to mean something. If it came down to it, I don’t think Eric would have hesitations to sacrificing himself for Sookie, infected or not. Whether Pam will let him… could be another story.

I know a lot of people are speculating it could be Sookie’s blood that was will be the Hep V cure. But I find it interesting that they are bringing Niall back this season with the Warlow storyline all wrapped up. I’m thinking they may bring him in and introduce the cluviel dor… maybe he will gift it to her during these dire times or as part of her fairy inheritance. So Sookie can use that to save Eric…

• BW

July 18, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I’m curious what Niall’s role in this season will be too. The cluviel dor seems a reasonable option, even though they’ve strayed so far from the books at this point. There has to be a reason for bringing him back and I suspect he might hold the key to Eric’s cure.

I’m reserving judgement on the Sylvie storyline until I see how it plays out. Maybe it’s foreshadowing that there was clearly no other choice than saving Pam over Sylvie but might he make the choice differently if it were Pam vs. Sookie? (I hope it doesn’t come up really, I won’t be happy if anything happens to Pam!)

I thought your take on where Bill fits into all this was interesting. I like Bill, I hope he doesn’t die, but I can totally seen him jumping at the chance to be Sookie’s hero and getting himself killed in the process. I think Eric would sacrifice himself for Sookie, especially given that he was willing to do so at Moon Goddess in season 4 even though she had pissed him off by declaring she was still in love with Bill the night before. I think *this* Eric from 7×04 would definitely sacrifice himself for Sookie. However, I also think Eric’s much shrewder than Bill and wouldn’t do so without exploring his options. Bill seems to forget his survival instincts when it comes to Sookie.