POLL: What Is Bill’s Ultimate Fate?

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

In this week’s episode of True Blood, the cure for Hep-V was found and synthesized. Sookie discovered that Eric was cured, and promptly did everything she could to bring Bill to the cure. And then…Bill refused it.

Liz and I have been speculating since before the season began that Bill wouldn’t survive to the end. All those flashbacks to his human life would seem to support our theory that he’s ready to for the true death. He and Sookie have more or less said goodbye and made piece with their connected past. And now Bill is refusing to drink Sarah Newlin’s blood. So the question is, will Bill die? Vote below.

Updated: In an interview with EW, writer Kate Barnow talks about what lead up to Bill’s refusal of the cure

In the end, Sookie goes against Eric’s orders again and brings Bill and Jessica through the tunnel to the basement of Fangtasia. Bill decides he doesn’t want to drink from Sarah.
Truthfully, we were a little concerned that maybe with all the flashbacks that people would guess this was where he was heading, that he was heading into this very fatalistic place. [Mel’s note: Sorry, Kate, we’ve been saying this for weeks.] I think Bill has always been at conflict with himself as a vampire, and the thing that has kept him going has been Sookie. But I think that he’s feeling fairly resolute at this point that his time is nye. That’s certainly what episodes 9 and 10 are gonna explore. Who’s to say if his time really is nye? The moment where he decides he doesn’t want the blood is largely connected to the dream he’s had where Sookie’s holding the baby void. All of those flashbacks, that dream—everything’s adding up to this should be the end. That’s why he decides it, but all hell is about to break loose. People are not gonna be happy with his decision.

[polldaddy poll=8238235]

1. Jennifer

August 10, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Wth after all that and bill says no if I didn’t know better I say him saying no is like he’s giving up and wants to die and reunite with his family in the life thereafter . But that would be redundant considering his life was cursed the day he was turned. I would say screw it move on and make the most of what you have .

August 10, 2014 at 9:43 pm

That’s been the point of his flashbacks all season, Jennifer.

• michael

August 11, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Haven’t you learned from how unpredictable this show is? So you are saying that these flashbacks are because Bill is gonna die and that True Blood’s makers would make it so predictable?

They have a team of writers who each write a script for each episode then the makers choose the one they like best. There hasn’t been any concurrent episodes written by the same writer. They do this so the show doesn’t become predictable. So when majority of people say “oh this is gonna happen” then the opposite will happen. And that’s what this show has been like, anyone that says this show has been easy to predict are full of crap!

August 11, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Noooo, that’s not how TV shows work. There is a team of writers, yes. They collaborate on the overall storyline for the season, then different writers are assigned to write each episode. It’s not a matter of five writers presenting a finished script, then TPTB choosing what they like best. That would be chaos! It takes 1-2 weeks to write an episode, so logistically, the model you suggest simply would not work. In the case of True Blood, generally each writer is assigned 2 episodes per season. They are not assigned concurrent episodes because while they are writing, for example, episode 8, episode 6 is being shot with that writer on set and episode 7 is in preproduction with that writer involved. The schedule was a little messier this season, but in general that’s how it works.

In addition, for a series such as True Blood, which relies heavily on mythology, character development, and story arcs that stretch over several episodes or seasons, the narrative arc requires that story elements be “seeded” in earlier episodes in order to serve a climax that sometimes comes weeks or even years later. That’s how a show creates continuity and builds character development over the course of several seasons. (Yes, I know, True Blood has been guilty of retcon in a few cases; show me a TV series that lasted more than 1 season that hasn’t had to retcon something.)

If you read the quote from this episode’s writer, included above, from her interview with EW, you’ll see that she confirms what I speculated the purpose of the flashbacks to be. You’ll also see that she (and the other True Blood writers) were hoping they’d been cagey enough that viewers wouldn’t pick up on it too soon.

FWIW, I’ve accurately predicted a number of storyline/character outcomes by finding the narrative clues and cues over the last 6 2/3 seasons. I spent years being taught to identify and analyze narratives (I have undergraduate and graduate degrees in English Lit), and I can’t help applying that to pretty much everything I watch and read. I’m not right 100% of the time, but I am right about 80% of the time. And sometimes, I don’t speculate because I honestly don’t know where they’re going with a storyline! That’s why they’re the creative TV show writers and I’m the analyst. 🙂

2. Angela

August 10, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Oh come on…There is no way bill will die. So u guys can chill out. Do u remember last season most of us thought sookie would become full fairy. Then all of a suden the writers made warlow the bad guy. So u can all breathe easily. The spoilers have all been true. Plus bucky said he’ll somehow reunite because supposedly they show a lot of “chemistry.” Sorry but I never saw it. Spoiler alert…Sarah isn’t going to die.

August 10, 2014 at 11:04 pm

We never thought Sookie would turn “full fairy” (or vampire). Not sure which site you were on where that was considered a sure thing, but it wasn’t ours.

Bill and Sookie have already come back together and made their peace with each other and their relationship. Bucky never said they’d be together in the end, just that they would be reunite “but maybe not how fans are expecting.” Done and done.

• posh

August 11, 2014 at 7:35 am

Can I get a heck yeah from the Trubies that atleast Eric is cured? Was a bit disappointed that the whole Tara digging loooong route that TB took was just about that one small story line. No offense but I hope that is the last we see of Lettie Mae and Rev Daniels.
        Poor Violet, will miss her. I wonder if Eric will have a moral dilema about the cure? Will him and Pam rebuild Fangtasia? When/Where will Willa come into play? Did Jes kiss Jason for the last time?

3. Tracy

August 11, 2014 at 9:52 am

I don’t know! I think him becoming human is just sooooo ridiculous, but with the spoilers saying that he will, I guess that’s what will happen. I refuse to vote for it though. I don’t want to hear any fans complain about Twilight again if they’re on board with Bill somehow becoming human. LOL

That being said, they could be pulling a fast one making us think he’s going to meet the true death, but he comes to his senses in the end, so that’s what I voted for.

• Angela

August 11, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Heck yea I voted he’ll be human. Lets be real here…do u think the are going to let him die just like sookie almost marrying warlow last season. This is a farce. U all are loosing ur mind here and being so exaggerating. So far the youtube guy/woman has been spot on the recent episode. You all can just chill out. Bill will be human and so will sookie. Also, wasn’t the youtube guy right when he said hoyt would kill violet? Tada..

• Rina

August 11, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Could you please stop talking about unofficial spoilers? Not everyone wants to hear whatever dirt you got off the internet.

• Angela

August 12, 2014 at 11:42 am

Calm down Rina. Just because the person who posted these spoilers is anonymous doesn’t mean it’s unofficial. Why would anyone who used to work in a series want to post his/her real name. So far the “dirt” has been true. I’m only repeating it so you can all calm down and don’t believe the hype. But hey, keep preparing yourself for his “dead ending.” True blood has pulled this type of trick before. Maybe it was just me that thought sookie would marry warlow and become a true fairy and forget all the vampire drama. Oh, I didn’t forget season 5. Bill tells sookie she’s an abomination and vampires often turn on the ones they love. From there, I thought it would be endgame for bill/sookie. Apparently all is easily forgiven and forgotten….Anyways, I’ll stop posting spoilers. But just remember bill isn’t going anywhere. Peace!

August 12, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Here’s the thing, Angela, you have a way of commenting that puts people’s backs up, including ours. It has never been our policy to encourage that kind of attitude on this site. We’d rather encourage a healthy, intelligent and respectful conversation among our readers, that’s why we have so many who visit our site and feel comfortable posting here. Since you choose to walk the borderline of trolling, your comments will be moderated from this time forward, until such a time as you can prove that you can carry on a respectful conversation without pissing people off here. Put simply – we’re done.

4. ChristieAtlanta

August 11, 2014 at 10:49 am

I’ve always been a Bill and Sookie fan but honestly the end of the series should focus on Sookie growing and being ok with who she is as a person instead of who she should end up with. Unless he turns human, she could never be happy with Bill or Eric long term because she would grow old and they wouldn’t. I’ve even thought the writers would put Sookie and Sam together (like in the book) in the very end because of that. I may be in the minority on this but even if she ends up with nobody but is happy with who she is, that would be a good ending for the show.

Suprisingly for me, the writers have me more intrigued regarding Hoyts storyline and where it is going. I never expected the Hoyt twist in these last episodes.

• Tracy

August 11, 2014 at 11:52 am

I’d also be happy with that ending. I used to think I’d be happy with an Eric/Sookie ending, but the way they’ve written their relationship on the show, forget it. LOL They’ve only got two more episodes to make that palatable, and I don’t see that happening.

5. posh

August 11, 2014 at 12:13 pm

/shiver yuck! no more Sookie and who she will end up with. That isnt what the show is about. There is sooo much more.

• Tracy

August 11, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Really? LOL Tell that to the writers, who keep on with the triangles and who does she love/not love.

• posh

August 11, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Me and a million other would love to tell the writers that.

• Angela

August 11, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Ditto

6. Liz F.

August 12, 2014 at 3:48 pm

I agree that Bill will meet the truth death before the show’s end, but instead of just succumbing to the illness – which would be cruel to those who care about him – he may have a change of heart and/or drink the antidote (if that is still feasible given the dire circumstances), and he will sacrifice himself to save Sookie, Eric, Pam, etc., during an inevitable showdown with the Yakuza. One of the show’s themes this season is that of heroism (i.e. “You can’t die a hero unless you are fighting for a righteous cause.”) Bill fought in the Civil War, but it wasn’t for a righteous cause that he believed in, and afterward, instead of returning home to his family as promised, he was turned vampire against his will, therefore, altering the trajectory of his life in a way that did not suit him. But if he can die during a war saving those he loves, he can both a.) finally return home to his family as promised and b.) return as a hero after having died for a righteous cause. That is why Bill is “almost home,” and I think it would be a beautiful new life for him.

And for a show that bases its premise on “the other” in society, I think it would be a travesty for the writers to strip Sookie of her fairy gifts or to turn Bill into a human. It seems the mantra for Sookie should be to embrace who she is as “the other” and embrace those gifts as a blessing, not a curse. I also wonder if it’s not her destiny to be paired with a vampire (just not Bill), as she has been so instrumental -as Bill pointed out- in the success of mainstreaming vampires with humans in Bon Temps.

My understanding of Bill’s and Sookie’s post-coital discussion was that their love, while real and special at one time, was destined to be a fleeting one and is now just a memory. Bill’s role was to serve as a gatekeeper, introducing Sookie to another world, a world that she was destined to be immersed in for a higher purpose. And now, in the end, It seems like Bill wants to be with those people -Caroline and his children- who knew him and remembered him for the Bill Compton he truly was before he descended into his own darkness (a darkness not entirely caused by vampirism but by Lorena’s influence and the choices he’s made in his past).

August 12, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Beautiful analysis, Liz F. Definitely a plausible way to view Bill and his purpose on the show.

• John

August 19, 2014 at 4:15 am

I’m going to laugh when Eric sacrifices himself and Bill turns human.

This is clearly where it’s headed. There is absolutely no stake to Bill’s death another, that magical Hep V can not result in death. The fact that Bill doesn’t want to be a vampire anymore doesn’t mean he will die.

As for Eric, he made peace with death, I can absolutely see him die saving others in a bad ass way.

Let’s be fair, a main character has to die. Safe bet, it’s not gonna be the one character they’ve been telling us is gonna die for 5 episodes. (Just like Eric and Bill’s fates switched actually)

7. esw45

August 12, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Your analysis Lisa F. Was a very good and thought out one….

• Liz F.

August 14, 2014 at 7:30 am

Thanks, you guys, and thanks to Mel and Liz for administering such a classy, professional site. I wish I’d discovered it sooner.

The True Blood writers receive a lot of criticism for their work, and while season 5 was certainly “interesting,” there’s a thematic method to their madness, especially this season. I think Buckner wants to elevate the show to something above just campy, supernatural lore; he wants the show to have resonance and meaning, similar to commercial fiction that’s threaded with literary themes.

Sookie’s character also receives a lot of criticism, but I think it’s unfair. Yes, she doesn’t always make the right decisions (who does?), but her narrative is a classic coming-of-age story like Pip in Great Expectations, whereby her mistakes and successes lead her down the path to maturity. Whatever the finale holds, I think the writers will portray Sookie at the end of this journey as a more self-enlightened human being.

8. Storyfan

August 15, 2014 at 2:58 pm

I’ve just started watching and haven’t seen all the seasons, but if the writers are honest in their world-building there are a few things that can be determined. Since Sookie is Hep V Positive she cannot end up with a vampire (Bill, Eric or others) unless she is cured or the vampire becomes a non-vampire. Bill despises being a vampire. Niall says there is no magic to save Bill. Bill is remembering his wife as his one true love and his family. Sookie pulled him from the dark into the partial light but as the seasons have shown she cannot pull him fully into the light nor can she keep him in “half light” (he professes devotion but continuously lies to save his own skin). The Sookie / Arlene clip this week adds to this (won’t say more if people are avoiding spoilers.) For Sookie and Bill to wind up together as supernaturals or humans would negate a lot of what has been said during the season so I hope that isn’t the direction they go. The only vamp cure I can imaging is Sookie’s fairy ball of death (why have it if it is never used – I see it as the equivalent to the “cluvial dor” from the book. I do wonder if it could cure Eric of his vampirism (killing it) while leaving Eric alive. I don’t see it working for Bill unless they turn Niall into a liar and negate all Bill’s feelings for his original family not to mention his mendaciousness. Bill taught Sookie how to live in essence. Having the long looks with Eric, the sensitive scenes and his continued devotion risking himself and his progeny for Sookie makes no sense if they don’t get together – unless they are just pandering to the fan base. Curious to see how it ends.