Recap 7.8 True Blood “Almost Home”

“What are we doing now? We’re doing something stupid, aren’t we?”

Again, I spent most of the episode waiting for a character I care about to die. But no, and hallelujah. Eric was cured and didn’t even die ironically some other way at the end of the episode. Come on, True Blood. Just keep him alive for two more episodes and make me happy, won’t you?

I’m even starting to wonder if the True Blood powers that be are going to kill Bill and give us a Sookie/Eric ending, after all. They’ve been building up to Bill’s death all season, and I was certain he would perish in a puddle of goo before Sookie got the cure to him. (Why didn’t she just take some of Sarah’s blood back to Bill in a handy Tupperware container or something?) Bill’s inner reflections and costume flashbacks have gotten him to the point where he has acknowledged that he’s sick of his un-life and ready to die. Maybe not until the final episode, though.

Eric got better, and where did he go? To tell Sookie. How about that. And I really enjoyed Sookie going to Fangtasia to read minds and figure out how to cure Bill, because it felt a lot like what she did so often in the Charlaine Harris books. Eric played along beautifully, too, by telling (mostly) the truth that he and Sookie used to be a thing and that her brother was a deputy, etc., and skilfully getting her out of danger. And the battle of Fangtasia a few episodes back came into play because Sookie knew how to get into the basement. Even though it didn’t save Bill since he didn’t want to be saved.

Gus’s evil plan was revealed: he wants to create a permanent flow of profits by making Hep V vampires into Nu-Blood addicts. I’m pretty sure Eric and Pam won’t let that happen. They never do exactly what they’re told, twenty years in a video store notwithstanding.

Violet doesn’t take rejection well, does she? That was Hoyt’s best entrance ever, although I knew something would happen to stop it. If Violet had done even one of the horrible tortures that she described in excruciating detail, it would have been way too much. I bet Adilyn and Wade will never run away again. And how about the symmetry? Even though he wasn’t aware of it, Hoyt got revenge on the vampire who killed his mother. Very nice.

Hoyt is still strongly attracted to Jessica, even though he doesn’t remember her, and it’s clear that Jessica is still nuts about Hoyt. How kind and thoughtful he was, bringing Jessica some of his own blood for Bill, telling her truthfully about how Maxine’s death had made him feel. There was even that romantic moment with them on either side of a closed door she couldn’t open. Very Buffy and Spike. I wonder how he’ll react when he finds out the truth? Will it stop their reconnection in its tracks? I hope not.

If it’s a Hoyt/Jessica happy ending, where does that leave Jason? They gave Jason a couple of really nice moments in this episode. He’s aware that his girlfriends don’t see him as the adult he could be, and that his past choices have been poor ones. It feels like they introduced Brigette as a blonde consolation prize for Jason at the end of the series. I don’t think it’s enough, even though she seems pretty sweet.

I left the most moving plotline to discuss last. Tara, who was apparently just a ghost after all, made a beautiful peace with her mother. Tara revealed that she had buried the gun her father was searching for the last time he abused Lettie Mae. “No more blame, Mama. Forgive yourself, and let me go.” I actually cried. How lovely that the Rev chose to experience it all with them, and that Lafayette got to say goodbye to Tara, too.

And James was right there, ready to help them all again. He is like the nicest, most uncomplicated vampire they’ve had on this show. What a sweetie.

Bits and pieces:

— During the afterglow, Bill revealed to Sookie that Sophie-Anne’s master plan was to capture Sookie and breed her. That sounds like Sophie-Anne.

— There have been a lot of references to having babies this season. Bill dreamed that Sookie gave birth to his baby, and it was a black hole.

— Sookie was driving Alcide’s truck to Fangtasia.

— Sarah Newlin wants to die as a martyr messiah. I’m okay with the martyr part.

— Loved the set decoration in Violet’s manse o’ madness, as well as the choral music.

Quotes:

Lettie Mae: “Sometimes you gotta take a journey, even if it’s a blind one.”

Jason: “I gotta stop making bad decisions, Jess.”
Indeed.

Pam: “I hate those bottles. Let’s talk microwavable cans.”

Hoyt: “There’s just something about Jessica. I can’t shake it.”

Eric: “He’s sick, Pam. He got it from Sookie, so he’s progressing fast.”
Pam: “Of course it’s happening fast. It’s Sookie. Everything she wants, she has to have now.”

Eric: (to Sarah) “Quiet, antidote.”

Another well-composed, well-written episode about our main characters, and a terrific farewell to Tara. I’ve been very happy with the final season so far, so let’s hope the last two continue the trend.

Three out of four ruined birthday cakes,

Billie Doux

Billie Doux is the founder of Doux Reviews and has been reviewing her favorite shows for a ridiculously long time. More Billie Doux.

I'm a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Tracy

August 11, 2014 at 9:31 am

It’ll be interesting to see how it turns out. I’m not so sure that Eric/Sookie is the end game, nor am I sure that Eric will go against the Nu-Blood guys unless someone makes a plea to him (Sookie) or Willa turns up with Hep-V. I feel certain Pam won’t. LOL But she may be forced to go along.

I guess I look at Jess and Hoyt as being end game as bitter sweet, since Jess had some legitimate concerns with Hoyt, and he with her. But I will turn off my brain and just enjoy it, if that’s what they decide to do. Campy fun. Same with Eric/Sookie, I guess, though I’m really not on board with that 100% at this point. There’s only two more episodes, right? A lot will have to happen in those two episodes, and we haven’t even seen Sam yet. At this point, I think it makes more sense for Sookie to end up the series alone, so she can take a breather and get her head together.

I really liked Tara as a character, and I though they could have done so much more with her and Willa this season – I didn’t like this turn in her storyline, so I’m glad it’s over. They didn’t have to kill her. 🙁

2. Amy Bondi

August 11, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Im sorry I am so disappointed with this series that I thought I was dreaming the episode seemed weird even shot weird like the background seemed different….. jessica and Hoyt endgame really didn’t we spend two seasons with jessica just out of love with him which made sense and I was okay with that and now all this.. I just feel like everything feels rushed and not thought thru…. eric showing up at bills door to see sookie only made sense for the progression of the episode but It didn’t feel right… someone has to no what im trying to say. The whole tara thing not feeling it. Where’s sam and where oh where is my trueblood

3. rcox

August 11, 2014 at 3:31 pm

I hope she ends up with Eric and Bill could still get the cure.

Remember Her grandfather Naills said he did not want her with Bill, or I think he said this vampire. Maybe he would be ok with Eric.

4. Laney

August 11, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I thought this was a great episode. In spite of the way it ended I think Sookie may convince Bill to take the antidote. Back to a book comparison. In the books Bill was not only very sick but he was very lethargic as if ge had given up. It was Sookie to the rescue and he did drink the blood he needed and he did recover She helped him snap out of it. I know the series is very different but I do hope Sookie will convince him that his vampire life is worth living.
    Loving Jessica and Hoyt but how did Hoyt know where to find them? Did I miss something?
    As for Eric and Sookie I I was hopeful they would get back togeather but now I have a feeling that Sookie may not wind up with a vampire at all. Ivthink she will find happiness at the end but with whom?

August 11, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I’m starting to agree with your theory that this is the book version of the silver poisoning storyline, Laney.

• Laney

August 12, 2014 at 10:46 am

Let’s hope..Crossing my fingers!!!

5. Cindy Jo

August 11, 2014 at 5:17 pm

OH MY GOODNESS! I raised my fists in the air and shouted when Eric was cured! And I thought maybe it was a dream that he came to tell Sookie, but I guess that was real. I really am so happy that Eric hasn’t died, and who is he flying off with in the previews? I hope it’s Sookie!
    Maybe this will all turn out well after all!

6. Arcadia

August 11, 2014 at 6:58 pm

After last night’s episode, seeing next week’s preview, and reading countless posts on various message boards, I was just wondering if all of Bill’s flashbacks are foreshadowing his true death, could Eric and Pam’s flashback to France with the vintner’s daughter (whose name has I can’t remember) be a foreshadow of Eric finding himself in the same situation again with the Yakuza with Sookie and Pam?

7. Rina

August 11, 2014 at 8:44 pm

I am so glad that you had such positive things to say about the Tara/Lettie Mae storyline. I keep reading so much hate on the internet. So many fans are angry because they see Tara’s words as absolving her abuser of her sins. To me Tara’s story is about forgiveness and letting go. She had to let go of her anger at Lettie Mae in order to move on, and Lettie Mae had to let go of her guilt in order to let go of Tara. Tara was the protector. She gave her life twice for people she loved. She was never going to be at peace as long as someone she loved was suffering. Lettie Mae’s suffering and guilt was holding Tara on Earth and preventing her from going to heaven. Forgiving her mother and helping her mother forgive herself allowed Tara to move on, and we got to say goodbye to her too. She is beyond pain and suffering now. She is happy, and I am happy for her.

This was a pretty solid episode.

• Carolina

August 12, 2014 at 10:52 am

You hit the nail in the head in regards to Tara’s storyline. Why can’t the hatters figured it out?

8. vaddict76

August 12, 2014 at 3:30 am

Another great episode! I loved that Eric came to tell Sookie he was cured and said “nice robe”. It does seem that Bill has checked out and maybe wants to die and attempt to join his wife and kids. I also would love to see Eric and Sookie together. I slowed down the preview for 7:9 and it does look like Sookie in Eric’s arms as he flew. I was thinking how crazy it would be if Pam ends up with Mr. Gus. It seems like she has a thing for him and she is pretty devious, would make a great business partner. Can’t wait for the next two episodes! What am I going to do with myself on Sunday nights next season with no True Blood?

9. Delorise

August 12, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Ha, maybe if someone made Mr. Gus a vampire he might change his mind about his plan…

10. Traci West

August 12, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Actually, when you think about it, Gus Jr.’s plans for NuBlood is a great metaphor for the American health care system. The point is not to cure chronic diseases, such as diabetes; rather, it is about managing the symptoms, because there are obscene amounts of money to be made for the insurance and pharmaceutical companies. I’d like to think that Eric and Pam have enough loyalty to their own kind that they wouldn’t let Gus Jr. get away with it. Besides, it doesn’t solve the problem of the humans who are Hep-V carriers. How do they get cured? Or are they left alone, so more vampires get infected who would need NuBlood to stay alive?

11. candice

August 12, 2014 at 11:51 pm

just to play devils advocate, people with type 2 dm usually can control their own blood sugars with strict diet and exercise, medicines should be a last resort for niddm. People can be loyal to themselves and take proper care of themselves, and they wouldnt need to be tempted by pharmaceuticals. Same for heart disease, vascular disorders (smoking, dont get me started on smoking), etc. Diet and exercise wont cure all things, obv, but it can get most americans off the most popularly prescribed meds today. I am not referring to idiopathic, congenital, etc. But modern illnesses are typically symptoms of how we live, and the solutions typ dont involved pills.

12. Traci West

August 13, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Yet, insurance won’t cover things like, for example, cooking/lifestyle classes which might help people learn healthy habits. I’ve heard my doctor tell me I needed to lose weight for decades, but insurance won’t pay for the lifestyle help. It seems as if these days, the first knee-jerk reaction a doctor has is to reach for the prescription pad. Don’t forget, the pharmaceutical companies make tons of money with new drugs, so it’s not in their interests to promote healthy living.