True Blood Radio 230: “Love is to Die”

The penultimate episode of True Blood gave us resolution for several characters, wrapping things up as we head into the series finale. This week on the podcast, we discuss how Jessica, Jason, Hoyt, Lafayette, James, and, yes, Ginger fared in this second-to-last episode, plus speculate about what’s coming up for Sookie, Bill, Eric and Pam in the finale.

Oh, and Mel shows off the props HBO sent us from the Fangtasia set.

1. posh

August 19, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Nice podcast ladies =) It is very appreciated the work you lovely ladies are doing with keeping us informed even after the show, thank you very much. I am glad Eric is not ending up with Sookie, she doesnt deserve him. Sorry Mel and Liz that is as “civilized” as I could put it.
    Pam and Eric. Best combo ever!

• Lisa

August 20, 2014 at 10:57 am

Agreed!!!

August 20, 2014 at 11:27 am

I’m really, truly sorry that you never got over your dislike of Sookie. At some point during the series you made up your mind about her and from there on you’ve had blinders in place. No matter what she does, Sookie will never be a good person in your eyes and I’m sorry about that because she’s really a hero in this whole story. In fact I will even go so far as to say that she is THE hero, having saved the big, strong vampires Bill and Eric a few times. She’s overcome a whole lot as well, but I think it’s useless to go on because you make the choice not to see it at all. That makes me sad. I know that everyone has their favorites as well as characters that they don’t care for, but I’ve seen many on this website say that while a certain character is not their personal favorite, they can see the truth about them. You’ve even done that yourself, concerning Bill. But Sookie is a character that for some unknown reason, you simply will not accept. It’s too bad.

• Latasha

August 20, 2014 at 12:46 pm

“Posh,” I agree with your statement: and it was civilized

August 20, 2014 at 1:23 pm

To each their own. 🙂

Can’t wait to see what Pam and Eric end up doing. I hope it allows Pam to wear pink again.

• Tracy

August 20, 2014 at 4:18 pm

I also agree with you, Posh, and so do many others.

• candice

August 20, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Agreed, posh. Never really cared for the Sookster, despite trying really, really hard to appreciate her. Pam isn’t the only one who rolls her eyes when Sookie is around.
      I had a complete turn around with Tara, however. I started out not liking her, but she became one of my faves.

2. Mynda

August 20, 2014 at 9:48 am

I am camped out by the mailbox! Can’t wait to see the Fangtasia Light!
    I am so grateful to you guys! Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to work with you both. It has been a joy!

I won’t know how to act when there are no more podcasts to edit!
    Much Love,
    Mynda

August 20, 2014 at 11:13 am

Hmm….that is food for thought, Mynda. LOL!

3. posh

August 20, 2014 at 1:46 pm

For a Sookie being this rare royal fae and having the power to break a major spells, push some vamps around, breaking and entering, reading minds, porting, limited day walking ability for vamps and so much more that I don’t think the writers really exploited her FULL potential.
    She just seemed to be more a victim than a hero counting on others to bail her out. My opinion ofcourse. Thank you for allowing me to express that cause I know you fine ladies are big Sookie fans. Maybe ya’ll could create a poll and ask the masses what character they felt was the hero in all the seasons..my guess would be Bill and you know I have only now came around to just what an awesome character he is/was.

August 20, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Fear not! We’ll be polling y’all post-series finale so much that you’ll be tired of giving your opinions. 😀

• Rina

August 20, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Posh, I think you are missing the point of Sookie’s story. It’s hard to be a hero in Sookie’s world. It’s not like in comic books. Sookie doesn’t get a superhero cape, a secret identity, and a guaranteed victory over the forces of evil. She’s not Wonderwoman. She’s just a waitress!

For seven seasons, Sookie had done her best to protect the people she loves. Sometimes, she was successful, and sometimes she failed. Sometimes, she saved others, and sometimes others saved her. Every character on the show got the chance to be a hero and to be a failure, but somehow only Sookie gets blamed when things go wrong. Sookie doesn’t live in a bubble. She is affected by other characters’ choices just as much as they are affected by hers.

Yes, if the fans were asked who the hero of the story was, most of them would choose Bill or Eric, not Sookie. Yet, Bill and Eric had made as many mistakes as Sookie did. Costly mistakes that cost other characters their lives, yet we still love them and cry for them and root for them.

When a man tries to do something heroic and fails, people say, “Oh, that poor man, I hope he tries again.” When a woman tries to do something heroic and fails, people say, “Oh, that dumb bitch, why’d she even try?” The truth is that women don’t get the same sympathy for their failures that men do. Women’s failures don’t make us care about them or hope that they will do better next time. Women’s failures only serve to reinforce our belief that women are incompetent and incapable of being real heroes. All a woman has to do is fail once, and she’s branded a victim for life. I hope that’s not why you are so disappointed in Sookie.

• posh

August 21, 2014 at 5:09 am

I must say I disagree with your “women don’t get smypathy”. Tara was a hero, that poor character was so afflicted with heart ache and pain she had to over come. Tara was a hero. Really well done story line for her.

August 21, 2014 at 12:28 pm

And Tara was hated by many fans until she became vampire. You’re one of the few that refer to her “heartache and pain and afflictions”. Until she was made vampire, we saw many fans refer to her as a “whiney, good-for-nothing, bitch” and people wanted her gone.

• Rina

August 21, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I’m glad to hear you say that Tara is a hero, yet you are one of the few fans who would the same if questioned. Most fans thought Tara was annoying and whiny and useless and don’t even think that she had the right to forgive her own mother in a divine vision. Tara wasn’t perfect anymore than Sookie is. Why put one woman on a pedestal and push the other one in the dirt?

August 21, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Well said, Rina. I would even add, if I may, that where this show is concerned, the hot men are always heroes no matter what they do or how they fail. In the last 6 1/2 years we’ve seen very little forgiveness for Sookie’s failures and almost zero praise for her heroics. She can make the same mistakes that Bill, Eric, Sam or Alcide made, yet she is labeled a loser, or worse.

• Rina

August 21, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Exactly. Women are always held to higher and more unfair standards than men are. And the worst part is that it’s women are the hardest on other women.

• posh

August 21, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Imagine if Pam was a fae …hahaha that would be great!

4. posh

August 20, 2014 at 1:50 pm

P.S Would have been nice to see a sexy scene with Eric and Pam =)) !
    Pam”Eric pulls good string”

5. Antonella

August 20, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Great podcast Mel and Liz! Listening to your comments it’s always a pleasure for me. I love you website and I am glad that you will keep us informed on True Blood actors career when the show will be over. Grazie!
    I loved episode 9 so much. For me it was the most emotional and touching of this season. So far. I am expecting a great finale,where hopefully nobody will die.

I enjoyed every scene of episode 9, and I had tears in my eyes often, so I already prepare my tissues for the last one. I particulary liked how the relationships among characters were fixed, and happy that finally Eric and Bill could have a honest talk.
    The episode was so emotional but luckly there were funny moments too, as Pam (I love her!) dying Sarah’s hair and Ginger&Eric love scene (hilarious).
    I can’t wait for season finale but I am also sad. I will miss True Blood, it’s a fantastic show with an amazing cast.

6. emax

August 20, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Great pod-cast ! I have enjoyed listening to you gals for so long now…gonna miss the pod-casts and the show …..ya’ll have always had such great insight to all things True Blood books, show, etc….I have 1 question…what became of Andy & Terry’s granny ?? I haven’t seen much of this season only pieces of it on youtube so have I missed her “passing” ?? when last we saw her was Terry’s funeral….if she’s alive she would be Bill’s oldest living relative, right ?? maybe she dies & leaves Andy her estate ?? the subject was in the books but they only addressed this on the show with Bill & Portia …..would be curious if they acknowledge where’s Granny Bellfleur ????

7. Laney

August 20, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Terrific next to last podcast! I promised myself I wouldn’t speculate but I am doing it anyway. The scene in the preview where we see Sookie in the cemetery at night all dressed up and standing in front of an open grave makes me very nervous. Any thoughts as to what that’s all about?
    I don’t think that Eric or Pam will be turning Sarah Newlin. That really makes no sense. at all. That scene has to be part of whatever am and Eric are cooming up which should be fun to watch and probably spell big trouble for Gus and the Yakuza. Goody!
    I have posted my feelings about Bill dying ad nauseam so Ill just say that I am soooo hoping that he either drinks the antidote or somehow becomes human. I completely agree that killing off the lead in a series just doesn’t seem right.
    I have really loved this season for the most part and can’t wait to see how it all ends!!

• Laney

August 20, 2014 at 6:48 pm

I have to reply to ny own post to correct typos which were make because my phone auto corrects everything and I was in too much of a hurry to proofread.
      second paragraph sentence should say…whatever Eric and Pam are cooking up….

8. shelia cutts

August 20, 2014 at 5:23 pm

P.s. loved pod cast ! Will be around with bells on lol.

9. shelia cutts

August 20, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Did anyone catch , that Bridget, is a microbiologist! Any who, shows over so nowhere to go with that !

10. shelia cutts

August 20, 2014 at 5:47 pm

I give up , had comment posted 2 times, didnt show ,

11. Rina

August 20, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Great podcast, ladies. BTW, HBO posted an updated synopsis for the final episode on their schedule, which makes more sense. Please check it out.

12. Jenny

August 20, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I love the way how in the last two seasons, Eric, Bill, and Pam have really started to show feeling. Bill would tell Sookie that vampires have no feelings or ability to feel. Now, in season 7, we can really see that vampires really do feel. For example, when Bill released Jessica, Pam reached out to her and put her hand on her shoulder because she remembered how it felt when Eric released her. And you could see in Jessica and Pam’s faces how it hurt both of them. I just think this “evolution” or whatever you want to call it…is really really interesting. Also, I have really enjoyed watching Sookie’s character evolution during the series. Her character has changed so much..it’s been pretty cool to watch. Anyway! Great podcast ladies!! Thanks!

August 21, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Thanks, Jenny! Glad you liked the podcast!

13. Samantha

August 22, 2014 at 11:48 am

Sorry to all the sookir haters but I LOVE SOOKIE.She is my favorite character. And as for Tara, I liked her until she became a vamp then I started not liking her until she was in vamp camp and she started growing on me again and then poof she was gone. I am going to miss this show soooo bad.

14. Bern