Recap 7.10 True Blood “Thank You”

“Love is love, plain and simple.”

Not an unbearable series finale, I suppose. But even though I enjoyed this final season and all of the tying up of loose ends, this final episode was just a bit too feel-good for me.

After an entire season of Bill on the edge of death and acting like a suicidal toddler, I was very prepared for him to survive the finale. A lot of fans have been theorizing that Sookie would hit him with her Ultimate Fairy Ball and that it would make him human instead of killing him. Bill de-vamped and Sookie de-fairyed could then live happily ever after as humans and have those all-important babies she needs to have. I honestly thought that was where it was going, especially after she started reading his mind at the wedding.

Instead, Sookie killed her love for Bill by killing Bill. He said he should have died in the natural course of time as a human instead of outliving his own children, and now he’s with his family forever. I did not like Sookie kneeling over Bill in his coffin and staking him; it just felt wrong. It should have gotten to me, and it didn’t. I was going, oh come on. Tell me he’s actually getting into his own coffin. Really?

Honestly, though, I get what they were going for. Sookie is and has always been a creature of light, and ending the series by making her a vampire would never have worked. Having her accept the fairy part of herself was good, too. Maybe the True Blood powers that be wrote themselves into a corner, because there was no way at this point that they could come up with a believable happily-ever-after for Sookie. (More about that further down in my review.)

Other than Bill and his coffin of goo, the rest of the finale was just too heartwarming for a series as violent, sexy and off the wall as True Blood. I adore Jessica, but her wedding was way too sweet. I was glad that Jason and Hoyt became friends again, and Hoyt deciding that amnesia was a-okay with him worked out for everyone, but how believable was that? The whole thing with Andy inheriting Bill’s house and essentially giving it to Jessica, too — it tied everything up in a perfect bow.

The four-years-in-the-future Thanksgiving night picnic at the end with practically the entire cast and a whole lot of children was nice to see, but also way too sweet. Arlene was with Keith, Lafayette with James, Sam brought his daughter, Jason and Brigette had three kids, etc. etc. Most importantly, we saw future Sookie pregnant, but not the face of her (I’m assuming) human husband.

Except that the entire point of the series was that Sookie couldn’t handle dating a human because she reads minds, which is why she fell for a vampire in the first place. Why didn’t they just leave Alcide alive and bring him back as her husband in the end? Sookie marrying a supernatural being that we knew and cared about who could also give her a family would have made more sense. Oh, well.

The trademark True Blood outrageousness had to be carried by Eric and Pam in this finale, and I’m pretty much okay with that. I had wondered why Eric didn’t just decimate Gus and his minions, but as soon as Pam was safe and Sookie was in danger, he did. He saved Sookie’s life again, and didn’t even tell her. I loved him driving away in that car with the stereo blasting and blood all over him.

Eric and Pam not only survived the finale, they became New Blood zillionaires. I was happy that they still owned and ran Fangtasia, and that Sarah Newlin stayed chained in the basement, going crazy and being haunted by her husband Steve. Does that mean any remnants of vampire authority are gone forever? Not important, I suppose.

Plus there was a final shout-out to gay rights, with the Jessica/Hoyt marriage not being legal, Bill unable to leave his house directly to Jessica, and the Reverend Daniels telling Sookie that God wants us to exercise free will and make our own decisions. And we got a lovely little flashback to Gran. I had a feeling they were saving her for the final episode.

So, as I said, not an unbearable series finale. I’m not sure what I wanted, anyway. Oh, yes, I remember now. I would have liked if the writers had spent a season or two exploring the interesting book depths of the Sookie/Eric relationship. At least they didn’t kill Eric off. That would have been unforgivable.

Bits and pieces:

— Sarah had changed so much that she wanted Pam to do Bad Lesbian Vampire Things to her. Fortunately, Pam had better taste than that.

— The scientists that created New Blood came from Sweden, not Japan.

— Sookie was again driving Alcide’s company truck.

— I was hoping that they’d get Sookie out of that hideous shirt before the end of the series, and they did. And then I realized it was black with flowers on it, and I got it. A little obvious symbolism there.

Quotes:

Sookie: (to Bill) “You’re choosing to die cause I have no self respect? That makes a lot of sense.”

Eric: “Humans are slow.”

Sarah: “I’m a horrible person, aren’t I?”
Pam: “Yes dear. You are.”
Sarah: “Which is why I think I would make a kick-ass vampire, don’t you?”
Sure, and Pam is so hot for you that she would throw away the vampire Hep V cure. Okay.

Pam: “I wouldn’t let you go down on me for a billion dollars. And as for me going down on you, there’s not enough money in the world.”

Jason: “It’s been a long fucking week and it’s been a weird fucking week, but I figured something out along the way. We gotta live every day like it’s our last, man. If we do that, it puts everything in prescription for us.”
Not the best Jasonism, but the last.

Andy: “You may kiss your vampire bride.”

I’m a bit sad about saying goodbye to True Blood, but it’s time. What rating would you give this series finale, on a scale of one to four out of four bottles of New Blood?

Billie Doux

Billie Doux is the founder of Doux Reviews and has been reviewing her favorite shows for a ridiculously long time. More Billie Doux.

I'm a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. candice

August 25, 2014 at 9:27 am

The Jessica/Hoyt thing was not believable at all, agreed. I do not buy that her reasons for breaking up with him a few seasons ago magically didnt matter to her any more. Waay too neat.
    My main complaint with this season is it felt like a soap opera, for many reasons stated in Billie’s recap. I understand they had to tie up the endings, but there were too many unrealistic aspects that were very distaracting and hampered the overall effect.
    And I still dont undertsand how Bill can release Jessica twice. First time it was season 3 after he almost drained Sookie. How did that not count?
    I feel sad and glad its over, it needed to be put down. I love TB, but I am baffled at how something so good can go so bad.

• Tracy

August 25, 2014 at 9:37 am

I was sooooo glad that spoiler about Bill being turned human wasn’t true. I liked Sookie finally owning up to the fact that she can’t quit Bill and maybe that’s a bad thing.

I thought it was awful that Lafayette didn’t get any screen time outside of a wide shot in the crowd. He’s one of the most popular characters and I don’t get that at all. I agree that the whole Jess/Hoyt thing was waaay too contrived and they could have done better. Or they could have had that poor girl FINALLY living her vampire life on her own!

I actually liked that we didn’t get to see who Sookie’s husband(?)was, but I think it would have made more sense to make it Sam. They could have killed Nicole and paved that road. But I think after all the ‘who will she end up with’, I thought it was nice that we didn’t get to see who it was after all and she was just living her life.

I also thought it was absolutely fantastic to see Charlaine in the scene with Eric coming into all his zillions. Kinda made up (a little) for what she did to him in the books. LOL

• candice

August 25, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Tracy, I thought the same thing about Lafayette and Sookie’s husband. It’s prob best they didnt show the guy’s face, it would prob steal focus from the big picture of her getting the life she wants, just who he is isnt the point, you know?

2. jasmin

August 25, 2014 at 10:15 am

I liked the cheesiness of the finale. Sookie had to end Bill. To me there was no way around it. Im glad she remained faye. I thought at Jessica and Hoyt wedding Quinn would show up to do the honors. Always felt Quinn was the one for Sookie. The one thing I dont understand is how is Sookie with a human? Or is she?…..

• Tracy

August 25, 2014 at 10:42 am

Maybe that WAS Quinn. LOL She needs a supe, that’s for sure.

3. Candykorn

August 25, 2014 at 10:58 am

I would give it a 2 out of four. Many were happy with the Jessica/Hoyt wedding but IMO it took up way too much screen time. Put some LaLa in there! It was the finale and only a snippet of Lafayette. My favorite part (sorry Bill fans) was that Bill finally died. I have never liked Bill as a character and the fact that Sookie wanted him back after he raped her, lied to her, left her for someone else and treated her horribly as Billith was mind boggling. I like the Eric/Pam ending. Filthy rich and getting richer! And torturing Sarah Newlin in the mean time. Loved the Steve Newlin cameo.

The parts I don’t understand are the fact you mentioned about being able to read her husband’s mind. Maybe they intended him to be a were? Who knows. But if he is human, she won’t be married to him for long lol. The entire series is based upon her telepathy and not being able to even date a human. The other part that left me puzzled was Bill told Sookie that as long as she kept her light, vampires would be drawn to her like a moth to flame. So did the writers forget this? Looks like it.

Overall, I like the TB ending much better than the books. The show was not very exciting to me as I think a finale should be, but it was ok. I am a little sad about it, but thankfully there is fanfiction! 🙂

• candice

August 25, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I hated Bill too, he really is a horrible person. Even in his death, he is controlling and paternalistic. Ugh, so glad he met the true death.
      How will she avoid attracting vampires if she is still fae, very good point.

4. andrea

August 25, 2014 at 11:26 am

Fast Forward ….Eric/Pam …..fast forward
    And this is how I shall put my DVD’s in use from now on.

Here are my notes :
    10/10 for the first 4 seasons
    6/10 for the 5th one (for Russell Edgington’s sake only)
    5/10 for the 6th season
    3/10 for the last season

Many valuable characters and situations from the books were never put at use, replaced by sidestories and characters far less charismatics and entertaining. A lot of bad choices where made along the road in the writer’s room, as from season 5, and we had to suffer the consequences … until this last Telenovela episode yesterday evening.

• Eliz

August 25, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Andrea:

Mostly agree with your rating on the seasons. Here’s mine.
      10/10 for Seasons 1 – 3

10/10 for Season 4 – but only up until the point where Eric regained his memory… then it went downhill fast. The Season 4 finale was HORRENDOUS – 1/10.

6/10 for the 5th one (agree, Russell was one of the redeeming parts of that season)

5/10 for the 6th season

7/10 for the last season overall

3/10 Series Finale – BOOOO!

5. Dee H

August 25, 2014 at 11:49 am

I thought the same thing!!! No need to kill him off – just send him off and bring him back later!! Oh well, maybe if that HAD happened we’d be thinking the opposite… Over all I didn’t feel it was too sweet, just not TB enough in spots.

6. Michael

August 25, 2014 at 11:52 am

This season finale was good. It didn’t leave anytning hanging out there and it centered on the characters of Bon Temps who have been there since the beginning. It was a perfect ending despite how normal it may have been. Eric and Pam went out like superstars. That is all I can ask for. I thought it was a good season.

7. Lucy

August 25, 2014 at 1:00 pm

For the first 4 seasons I loved True Blood and looked forward to each new episode. The last few seasons have just seemed to have lackluster plots in comparison and generally a little boring at times despite the fantastic cast and many talented people working on the show. Sookie seemed less and less believable as a character too; such as jumping into bed with a dying ex after her partner had been murdered. It didn’t make any sense, and yes I know people can do odd things when grieving but Bill was really sick so surely she would rather look after him than risk him dying on her. A long chat, a hug, anything but sex! I like many fans am also pretty puzzled as to why Sookie’s romantic relationship with Eric was over so quickly. It was a big part of the books and their popularity but the show decided to focus on Sookie and Bill. I have wondered if the actors real life relationship influenced the writers to take that direction. Anyway I know the show is not the books but I am one of the many fans of the book and show who are a bit disappointed by the endings of both.

8. Traci West

August 25, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Was anyone else annoyed with Bill in this episode? He was treating her as if she was completely incapable of making her own decisions for her life, so he had to do it for her. I was watching with a friend of mine, and she theorized that with the purity of Sookie’s fae blood, the Hep-V might have made him completely human instead of killing him. We’ll never know now!

I also don’t believe that it ended happily for two of our main characters. Most of them were, especially Pam; she has Eric all to herself, and she’s pimping out Sarah Newlin. However, if you look at that last shot of Eric on his throne, he doesn’t look happy. Neither does Sookie; even though she’s married and pregnant, when she embraces her husband, she looks sad. The problem is, she’s living the life Bill wanted for her, rather than the life with Bill she wanted.

I thought not seeing Sookie’s husband’s face was a major cop-out! It has been remarked elsewhere that one of the underlying plot devices of the show was that humans couldn’t accept Sookie’s telepathy, which made dating human males impossible. One of the reasons why Sookie is so attracted to vampires is because their minds are quiet. We should have gotten some kind of clue as to who or what he was. There could have been a brief telepathic conversation to indicate he was fae, or we could have seen an animal-like glow to his eyes that would indicate he was a were of some type. Also, I don’t think it was an accident that from the back, with the beard, he bears a resemblance to Alcide.

• Denise

August 25, 2014 at 2:36 pm

The last shot of Eric on the throne is from season 3. That’s Yvette dancing on the pole.

• Tracy

August 25, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Bill treated Sookie like she was incapable of making her own decisions the entire seven seasons! This was nothing new.
      I thought Bill had good intentions generally in this last episode. But they didn’t make much sense once she said no, she wasn’t going to use her light. He could have spared her the agony and done it himself. But that’s Bill for you. LOL

9. Eliz

August 25, 2014 at 2:07 pm

TB will go down as one of my top 5 all time favorite shows. I just loved it! I defended it through all the crappy and ridiculous episodes because I enjoyed the journey and held out hope for a phenomenal end. I was so encouraged, as this season seemed to start out strong, and I was happy to see the story move away from action and back to the characters themselves. But even I, among the loyalest of fans, am disappointed here. I simply can not defend the crapola ending from last night.

Waaay too much time spent on Jessica’s and Hoyt’s wedding… happy they got married, but didn’t need to spend over half the finale on it! Would have been better handled in a flash forward.

No speaking parts for LaLa, what a slap in the face. In the end, he got as much face time as Lettie Mae. And if they were going to do a flashback with Tara, why not one that was more recent (her as an adult)? Would have been a nice nod to a much beloved character.

Happy Eric and Pam are still together at Fangtasia in Shreveport, but am I bit surprised (and disappointed) in them both that they would be as selfish as Mr Gus was planning to be, in getting vamps hooked permanently on NuBlood when they could just cure them and be done with it. It now seems out of character for Eric, who has spent the past couple of seasons being hero to vamp and Sookie alike. In the end, he ended up exactly where he started out, a greedy selfish uncaring A-Hole. I was even surprised to find myself feeling sorry for Sarah Newlin – four years is a long time to be chained up in a basement. Would someone just put her out of her misery, for goodness sakes?

The way Sookie and Bill ended things was also so horribly drawn out that it was anti-climactic at the end, but I will admit that it was bittersweet and lovely at the core – so this is really the only major story arc that I’m not completely ticked about.

I knew the flash forward in time was coming, and had sooo hoped we would see Sookie with Eric. Or if not with Eric, then at least with Alcide. Agree with Billie. Why kill Alcide off so early in the season only to have Sookie end up with faceless bearded man? Are you kidding me? Well, at least we can say she didn’t end up with Sam like she did in the book.

I guess in the end, the majority of the book fans, as well as the series fans, will be disappointed with who Sookie ended up with. Couldn’t they have at least gotten it right with one of the endings? Charlaine and Brian, as a huge and long time fan, it pains me to say this – YOU BOTH SUCK.

10. Brandon W

August 25, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Anyone notice that guy that Jane B was with at the very end was a guy from the first season who is now a Vampire evidenced by his empty plate with the metal can on it. Just something I missed the first time cuz it looked like a beer can.

• candice

August 25, 2014 at 6:09 pm

good eye, brandon. i didnt notice that.

• Traci West

August 25, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I didn’t notice that. If that’s so, however, I have two questions. First, how the hell did that happen? I would think the trauma Jane suffered at the hands of the Hep-V vampires would have made it impossible for her to ever accept a vampire as a lover. Second, was Jane sober? If so, did her vampire boyfriend glamor her to rid her of her addiction?

August 26, 2014 at 10:38 am

Arlene suffered too, even worse than Jane, and she has Keith. Who’s a vampire by the way.

11. fa

August 25, 2014 at 3:34 pm

I was quite dissapointed with the finale. Actually, I think every finale was more or less of a dissapointment. Maybe that’s because of our high expectations, I don’t know. The big part of keeping me interested were those amazing promos HBO were making for each season, each episode, and, sadly, most of the time they were better then those 50 minutes on Sunday.
    Anyways, I think this last season was fine. I didn’t like the first three episodes: plot holes, meaningless deaths (Tara and Alcide were unexpected, but not shocking, not at all, atleast I was worried about Bill and Eric from there on), annoying minor characters, even bad acting! But season caught up in like 4th episode, with Eric back in Bon Temps, Hep-V vamps gone, life and death being important again. Talking about our major death, it was sad and depressing. Nothing more to say, really.

• andrea

August 25, 2014 at 6:02 pm

The best episode of this last season was definitively “Karma”. Everybody hoped at this point that the show was going to roll …my point being : they could have done a good job, but they didn’t !

12. candice

August 25, 2014 at 5:58 pm

When Gran was telling Sookie how she is special and can do whatever she wants with her life as long as she doesnt limit herself, poor Tara had to sit there and listen to that, and not be told the same thing, and then, to add to the insult, Gran asked Tara to make sure Sookie lived her life well (essentially). Poor Tara. She knew Gran loved her, but dang, that has to hurt a kids feelings to not be included in that message. Ouch.

• Rina

August 26, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Of course Tara was included in that message, but she’s not Adele’s granddaughter, and she wasn’t a telepath who never thought she would have a normal life. Clearly Adele thought Tara was already a very strong person to entrust Sookie’s welfare to her. I think Adele had done enough for Tara without us bashing her for not addressing her when she was directly responding to something Sookie said.

13. candice

August 25, 2014 at 6:00 pm

On a good note, I think this episode was the best Holly has ever looked. A lot of ppl are very mean when discussing her appearance, but I think shes attractive because shes unique. But she looked absolutely beautiful in last nights ep.

14. feeling anemic

August 25, 2014 at 6:47 pm

WOW…such a conventional ending…it was everything that True Blood as whole was not. it left me feeling like… wait did i just watch the Waltons series finale??… babies hangin off fertile females left and right. it was the unconventional nature of this show that drew ppl to it. it felt like the writers had no clue what this show had been about and went with the most canned ending you could have. they also focused on story lines that i don’t think many ppl cared much about. i regret investing so much time into the show over the years. should have stopped after s2.

• candice

August 25, 2014 at 7:06 pm

you didnt like season 3 with russell? though i agree with your sentiment, the writing was not the best in the past few seasons, and the finale….wtf.
      ive been puzzled by the writers the past few seasons…if they have a bad season, dont they just replace the writers? why did they give them so many chances year after year to improve the show? it couldnt have just been they were under contract?
      i read an interview of one of the hbo ppl and they discussed how poor the writing had become, that it was hard to keep ideas fresh and meaningful, so they ended it. there were many ideas in the books they could have drawn on for inspiration!

August 25, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Really? Can you provide a link to that interview, because I can’t imagine anyone saying that about a show that was their flagship for 7 seasons.

• Kate

August 28, 2014 at 2:47 am

It’s kind of rather easy to find. I know I saw it on Hypable, maybe Buzzfeed, EW…

August 25, 2014 at 9:30 pm

So, I’m curious. What kind of ending would you rather have had? Sookie in trouble again? Running for her life again? Someone else dying again? Trouble on every side again? Murder, mayhem? People in trouble again? Our favorite characters left in unhappy situations again?

And what is so wrong with the family picture? What is so wrong with having babies? What is so wrong with these characters, who have been through so much sorrow, to now have happiness?

And if you think the show should have ended after season 2, why did you continue to watch? I’ve seen a lot of comments like that and I fail to understand why a person would continue to watch a show they clearly don’t like. It boggles the mind why anyone would waste their time.

I’m just curious.

• Brandon W

August 26, 2014 at 12:51 am

I only had one problem with the finale and it was the flash forwards. We spent 7 years with sookie, but in tv time it was about 3 years (2 if you count Sookie skipping over a year in S4) and then in the final moments it’s 4 years and some time later. I felt like I didn’t even know these characters anymore. What’s any of the kids name? Where’s mikey? Who is Jane Boadhouse’s boyfriend and why is she with a vampire lol. Skipping that much time is a cheat and kinda lame since we did spend such a great deal of time with who they were only to get a silent pass by on who they might be now. Still liked it but I don’t understand what they were going for:) Looking forward to the podcast but so sad its the last:(((

• Laney

August 26, 2014 at 7:41 am

I agree with you Liz. I would never watch a show that I hate let alone visit it a fan site dedicated to that show. No offense to anyone but I think that’s kind of weird. .
        And, in spite of the fact that I was shocked and deeply saddened by Bill’s death, I thought the very end was really perfect. I was really glad that these characters finally found peace and happiness. As for those complaints about too many babies ect well whats wrong with these wonderful characters who have endured so much finally getting a taste of normalcy?

• candice

August 26, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Why watch a show that started out as so incredible? Because I like most of the characters and want to see what happens to them.
        It’s no secret that the multiple sub plots led some viewers to stop watching, a lot of ppl were turned off by the fairy and were plots. I liked the fairy stuff, and thought the elder fairy, who was killed by Russell in season 5, was fantastic. I would have loved to watch her all season!
        People fall in love with some of the characters, and watch the show strictly for them, such as Pam and Eric. It is not unreasonable to have preferences when the show has so many characters. Personally, I didn’t like Bill, Jessica, Sam, Luna, Jesus, or the were storylines. But I love Andy, Lettie Mae, Lafayette, Ruby Jean, Eric, Pam, Arelene, Holly, Eggs, Nan Flanigan, Hoyt, Terry, Steve and Sarah, Lorena, Queen Sophie Anne, Jason, Tara, Godric, Maryann, Russell, even Barry the bellboy and Jane Bodehouse and Kevin, even Debbie Pelt. And I miss Franklin so much!

The first three seasons were so good, with so many fantastic scenes, I was/still am hooked. I’d rather focus on how much I like the first three than worry about how much I dont like last 4.

August 26, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Three women had/were about to have babies. THREE. Out of…eight or nine at the table? Horrifying.

15. candice

August 25, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Eric’s throne just went for 11,000! Thats 11,000 well spent, imo.

16. Diego

August 26, 2014 at 12:17 am

I think the ending was just perfect.

17. Kim O.

August 26, 2014 at 11:07 am

I enjoyed this episode and cried when Sookie staked Bill. Didn’t think I would, after all the build-up to his death. The only thing I thought didn’t work was the wedding. It seemed too soon to me. I was glad all the loose ends were tied up. Left me satisfied. Wouldn’t mind an Eric/Pam spin-off either. Glad I invested my time in True Blood, found this fan site and I’m sorry to see it go.

August 26, 2014 at 1:52 pm

We’re got going anywhere, Kim! We’ll be here with our doors open until no one comes here anymore. We’ve got some things cooking up for you all, including some more podcasts, so stay tuned and keep watching!

18. Delorise

August 26, 2014 at 12:43 pm

It breaks my heart that the majority of comments in this thread are so negative. I must be the only person who truly loved every moment of True Blood, from beginning to end. I think it would be weird and a little mean of me to constantly pick on the writers for not writing the way I thought the show should have gone…
    Do we begrudge Shakespear for not allowing Romeo to receive Juliet’s message in time to prevent his suicide? Do we criticize George Lucas for… Wait… Never mind… Heh…
    Anyway, the point is, it’s a story. A darkly beautiful, epic, sensual, intriguing, exploration of humanity, love, and the supernatural. The characters learned, grew, and experienced amazing things.
    Although at the end we don’t know whether Sookie’s husband was human or not, the experiences she had taught her how to deal with her mind reading to an extent that her previous problem of being with a human may not have been a problem anymore. I cried when she staked Bill. She was putting all the atrocities she had experienced to rest and allowing herself, and Bill, to move forward.
    I believe a major theme throughout this series is learning to accept ourselves and the world around us. We may not be perfect, we may be very unperfect, but we are as God made us.
    Goodbye, True Blood. I will never forget you.

19. steve

August 26, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I did not like the depressing slow death of Bill and the assisted suicide ending by Sookie. Everything else was fine. I was one who wanted a human Bill, human Sookie combo. Or, at least Bill had lived.

20. Jenn

August 26, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I was disappointed in the ending, but at least it ended on a happy note even if it didn’t really flow the general mood of the series.

I was glad to see that Sookie was happy, but it felt like an easy fix for the writers. I have never been a fan of Bill, but I found myself hoping that Sookie would use her fireball and he would become human. These final episodes showed that they really did belong together. I also think keeping Alcide alive and having her end up with him would have worked. The way they wrote Sam’s storyline meant they couldn’t go the way of the books. Also, an Eric relationship wouldn’t have made sense after Bill dying to keep Sookie from being with a vampire.

I wasn’t a fan of the rush to a wedding for Jessica and found it hard to believe. I also found it a little unrealistic that all the other couples (Jason and Brigette, Arleen and Kevin, Lafayette and James, etc.) remained together, but I’ll take it.

Personally, I wish they had kept the plot a little closer to the books (since the first few seasons were the best and they did stay closer to the material) and then veered off to allow for a Sookie/Eric ending. I was also disappointed in the ending of the books (and the last few books as a whole) and would have loved seeing Sookie use the Cluviel dor earlier and for a different purpose.

• Eliz

August 29, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Hi Jenn – well said, I completely agree with you. I still loved the show, and always will, but the ending of both the show and the books was just so ungratifying. I think there were some parts of the show that I liked better than the books (eg, Lafayette, Arlene, Alcide, and Tara were all way more awesome characters in the show than they ever were in the books). But in most ways the books were better and had some really cool characters that could have added so much to the series …. The writers should have stayed closer to the books, and only improved upon Charlene’s poor ending, and it would have been perfect. I’m just bitter that both the show, and the books, just completely blew it with their endings. I wish they had created like 3 different endings, showed them all, and let the viewers vote on which was the best. Now that would have been fun!

21. Vanessa

August 27, 2014 at 11:07 am

I know I’m late on this but I have to say after watching the finale a few times- I thought it did nothing for Bill’s character and that disappointed me. Maybe it’s the Life Coach in me, but I couldn’t get past his blatant selfishness of wanting Skokie to un-fae herself, guilting Jessica into getting married for him and possibly traumatizing sook by having her essentially murder the love of her life when he was about to turn into goo on his own. I seriously walked away like- well, bill is a selfish baby. Then I thought about the whole series- has bill always been a selfish baby? And the answer seems to be yup. Yes he loves sookie and always has. Lovely. But THAT kind of love isn’t love at it’s finest. Or even close- that’s why it didn’t resonate and felt so underwhelming.
    And I agree with the review almost all around. I really did enjoy this season- thought it was very entertaining and satisfying- the last episode wasn’t great but there was enough greatness in the middle 6 or so to make this season one of the better final seasons of a show I’ve loved.
    Thanks for everything TB, and TB.net 🙂