True Blood Radio 231: “Thank You”

It’s our last episode discussion podcast, and we have fangovers. Liz and Mel talk about the True Blood series finale, “Thank You” – what we liked, why the final scene was perfect for us, Bill’s decision, and the fates of all the characters. We also discuss what we wish had been different in the series overall, and what’s next for True-Blood.net.

Things we talked about:

1. Melissa

August 26, 2014 at 7:10 pm

I would just like to say that you two ladies are true blood goddesses in my eyes. I was very upset about the finale until I watched your podcast. When you started to compare the characters endings in the show to their endings in the book, I was totally blown away. I had completely forgotten about Bill getting silver poisoning, and comparing Eric’s running an empire to running a billion-dollar company was spot on. I was happy with the ending seeing so seeing Sookie happy I just couldn’t wrap my head around her killing bill. I just can’t see Sookie doing that. I wish may be that they could’ve just let him die on his own.
    there is something I’d like to get your opinion on. I watched an interview with Joe Manganiello and he was talking about how he found out when he that he was going to be was sucking on the show his friends told him you’re dead. They were basically saying that if you’re happy on true blood something bad wills happen,that there are no happy ending.
    I also remember watching an interview with Brian Buckner where he was pretty much saying the same thing. I think maybe that’s why so many people are shocked where used to so much blood and guts. I have to admit that during the first couple seasons I wasn’t a huge fan of all the gore and it came in a way to define true blood. I’ve read so many articles and reviews were they said that they love the show because of all the violence and trt, and all of the violence and craziness is not.
    I just wanted to say thank you for creating and maintaining this website. It’s great to have a place to go where I know other people feel the same way I do, my husband doesn’t understand why I get so emotional about a show.
    So many many thanks again!!

August 26, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Melissa, thank you for your sweet words. We appreciate you!

Yes, once you start comparing the book ending to the show ending, a lot lines up! It’s not exactly the same, of course, but they managed to get most of the characters to similar places in the end.

You’re right, the show has been defined by gore and violence, although if you’ve watched our podcast for long at all, you know that neither of us are fans of that aspect of the show. I think Brian Buckner said it best in an interview with EW.com that they’d more or less pushed the boundaries as far as they could with respect to violence and gore and exploding vampires, so in order to do something “bold” for the finale, they had to go intimate and happy. That makes sense to me, as a storyteller.

• Melissa

August 26, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Yikes I didn’t proofread after using voice to text! But I was just trying to say sort of what Mel said about Brian Buckners interview. That to me the heart of true blood isn’t the gore and violence, but that the ending to the finale was closer to what the series is really about. it’s not that they didn’t stay true to the series in the finale, we just got used to be outrageousness and shock factors that wasn’t true to the book series.

August 27, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I just have to say that your voice-to-text version was so entertaining, even though I knew what had happened. LOL! Totally off topic, I know, but I just had to say something. ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Missie

August 26, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I just want to thank Mel and Liz for an awesome job they did over the years with the podcast and website. Even though, I haven’t commented over the years that much, I’ve always relied on the site to get information and spoilers on TB.

It has been pleasant to read the articles and read the comments here because of the moderation that Mel and Liz have done over the years. I’ve been on other TB sites where the comments were horrendous. And it took some of the fun out of connecting with other fans. That is one of the reasons I stayed so quiet for so long. I wasn’t interested in arguing with someone about this character over that character. I never saw that here, but I still somewhat shied away from commenting.

I, myself have ran community based sites for over 10 years and it’s tough to moderate and it’s very tough to keep your cool at times when you have people trying to disrupt what you are trying to accomplish and make a community that is fun and inviting to other people without all the drama. So, great job ladies! You kept your cool more than I would have! lol

I’m still milling over the finale and the more that I look back on the previous seasons and think about the ending, the more happy I become with the final episode. My only complaint now is that I wish we would have gotten more Lafayette in the finale. But, his story was done. Just a few more “Hookas” would have been perfect! ๐Ÿ™‚

BTW, I am loving your Fairy Tale site! I watch all the shows you guys talk about over there! I’ll definitely be following that site as well.

• Stephanie

August 27, 2014 at 11:00 am

What is the Fairy Tale site web address?

August 27, 2014 at 2:00 pm

You can find it at: thefairytalesite.net

August 27, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Yay, I’m so glad you’ll be following us over on our other sites! In fact, I saw that you “Liked” our other Facebook pages. Welcome!

You know, I have to say that at first, when I was reading how much everyone wanted to hear from Lafayette once more in the finale, I was arguing that he had said a whole lot of important and powerful things in the few episodes prior to this one. But now I understand that to hear one more of his awesome phrases or a couple of humorous lines spoken only the way that Nelsan Ellis as Lafayette could have done, would have been a fun and cool thing. All that to say, I get it, LOL!

3. Lisa

August 26, 2014 at 11:54 pm

Just watched this and I agree with 100% of your observations about the finale, what they could have added to the series, what could have been taken out, and many other points.

It was fantastic to hear all of my thoughts about the show being discussed by both of you. I only started watching the show a few months ago and immediately fell in love with it, both the good and the bad.

Thanks for the great website & podcasts, and am looking forward to listening to the Kristen and Alex interviews listed above!

4. Melissa

August 27, 2014 at 12:31 am

Sorry to keep commenting but I just finished the rest of the podcast and I was curious. Liz and Mel, fellow Trubies, do you really think Eric is happy? During the podcast you gals gave some good reasons why he should be, I just thought he looked miserable sitting on the throne. I just took the scene to mean that nothing had changed with him. I’m not sure why that nasty comment was thrown in, again I thought maybe to show that everything is back to “normal”. I’d love to hear what everyone else thinks.

5. Lisa

August 27, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I don’t think Eric ever looked happy on the throne, and I don’t think Pam ever looked happy when she was managing the club. It’s part of the Fantasia “mystique”.

Pam and Eric looked incredibly happy ringing the bell and producing their informercials. They are such wonderful “partners in crime” and being together and managing all of their businesses without AVL & Authority interference sounds like lots of fun for them.

Maybe they will both find love outside of their platonic relationship relationship (although are they sometimes lovers?? I was never clear on that).Eric seems to have an affinity for humans, Sylvie and Sookie, and Pam was building a relationship with Tara.

They seemed happy to me at the end. Would love to hear Mel and Liz’s thoughts.

August 27, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I think we kind of talked about that in the podcast. Eric was happy being exactly who and what he was, a Viking prince. Yet he was close enough to Sookie to pop in on her now and then if he so chose to. Yes, I believe that Eric is as happy as an over 1000-year old vampire who had seen everything and done everything, could be. Again, he’s a Viking prince and now he has millions and is ruling an ’empire’.

6. Lidia

August 28, 2014 at 6:32 am

Awesome job once again ladies.
    Just a couple of things:
    Iโ€™d love to know where Hadley & Hunter ended up.
    Also (the question thatโ€™s been eating at me since season 2): What on earth happened to Chow? I guess weโ€™ll never know!

7. andrea

August 28, 2014 at 8:35 am

I would like to answer the part concerning “there is nothing wrong about being married with children” No, Mel and Liz, in real life there is nothing wrong with it, but we were talking True Blood …
    For a moment I thought that True Blood could make a difference in TV history : a virulent playdoyer for tolerance (sexuality) and acceptance (minorities) , also one against atrocities commited in the name of religions, and politician duplicity in general ….the storylines didn’t matter that much (well,I had my preferences as well, just like anyone) as long as they sticked to the fundamentals which made TB so special.
    But after Allan Ball’s departure, the spirit was gone. It was as if the writers were paddling back from their previous statements … So it came with TB ending up celebrating motherhood as a woman’s career plan and displaying capitalism ferocity as a business model. And this felt wrong, I’m sorry to say it loud and clear, it definitively did.
    And this comes also from a mother of 3 (surprised ?) running her own company …. who used to enjoy watching a clever, witty and sexy show on her sunday nights.
    I did appreciate all your work and efforts you gave over the years to this very good website, I am thanksfull to both of you for keeping it up, you are hardcore fans and I respect you for all of it. Even if we have to agree to disagree on what True Blood was all about to start with.

8. kiltlover

August 28, 2014 at 9:50 pm

This site made the last seven years even more EPIC than it already was! THANK YOU!! Please link your other sites on here so we can follow along.

August 29, 2014 at 9:29 am

Thanks, kiltlover! The links to our other sites are in the original post. Come on and play!

• Kiltlover

September 5, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Will definitely check them out. I’m in love with Ichabbie and Sleepy Hollow! Thanks again!

9. kiltlover

August 28, 2014 at 9:53 pm

And sorry, bad grammar, meant to say the last seven years already WERE! Yikes! ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Rina

August 29, 2014 at 12:45 am

Great podcast, ladies, as always. Thank you for everything.

August 29, 2014 at 9:29 am

Thanks, Rina!

11. Laney

September 2, 2014 at 9:28 pm

As usual ladies great last episode podcast. Ill miss the podcasts almost as much as the show. It has been great getting so much insight into every episode over the last few years that I’ve been visiting!
    I still have a few big issues with the finale. I am definitely not ok with Bill’s death and even more not ok with Sookie being the one to end his life. It was so very unnecessary and awful and depressing. It also lacked authenticity to me. If Sookie didn’t want to be a fairy anymore she could have easily threw her light at a tree for gods sake. And as for Bill’s reasoning behind it all, well, Eric said it best when he told I Bill “Get over yourself”
    That said I am happy that all of the characters wound up in a good place. I don’t think that ending the show with more heartache and violence and pain for everyone who survived would have made any sense at all. The very last scene at thanksgiving
    dinner would have been perfect except it came just a moment after Sookie killed Bill which made it
    impossible to enjoy for me. It made Bill’s death even sadder.I’m not forgiving the folks at HBO so quickly.
    And ladies I’ve always agreed with how both of you feel about the way the books ended. I personally liked thatc Sookie wound up with Sam. It was a great ending for her although I wish there hadn’t been so much bitterness between her and Eric.

September 3, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Laney thanks for playing with us! We hope you don’t go away from here as we’ve got a few things planned and a few more podcasts to do. We also hope you’ll visit with us at our other sites! We’d love to have you!

• Laney

September 4, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I plan to Liz as I love both Grimm and Once Upon a Time. And for my vampire fix Ill be watching Dracula on NBC.

• sasa

September 4, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Sorry, Laney, I believe Dracula has been axed and not coming back next year! :

September 4, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Sasa is correct – Dracula was canceled. ๐Ÿ™

12. Laney

September 5, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Boo!! That’s a bummer! I know about the fairy tale site but what are the other site*s)?? I’d love to check them out…

September 8, 2014 at 9:53 am

We are very proud of our NiceGirlsTV.com website, which celebrates strong female characters in television shows.

If you’ve read Charlaine Harris’s Aurora Teagarden stories, Hallmark will be doing a series of movies based on those and we’ve got the site up for that, although it’s brand new. Until the filming begins on that project there’s nothing much there but it will begin growing as soon as production begins. If you haven’t read those books, we highly recommend them!

There you have it!

13. Lisa

September 6, 2014 at 6:11 am

Thank you so much Liz and Mel. What a great website for an epic show. Even at its worst it was still better than anything else out there. Sunday nights will notbe the same. It makes sense to me thst Sookie had to kill Bill. I think it gave Sookie the closure she needed to move on.