Narrative by Liz & Mel
Recipes by JoAnn
Appius Livius Ocella was Eric’s maker, and when Sookie finally met him for the first time, she could feel how powerful and dangerous he was. While she could soothe herself with this confection, his dark presence haunts her thoughts and overshadows this recipe.
“I hadn’t really given the Roman a chance. I didn’t really know him. I only knew some things I didn’t like about him, and there must be some other things I would like or admire about him.” – Sookie on meeting Appius, Dead in the Family
Ingredients for Brownie Layer:
6 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
1-1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup Hershey’s cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Truffle Cheesecake Layer:
3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups (12 ounce package) Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate Chips, divided
1/2 teaspoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9-inch springform pan.
2. For Brownie Layer, stir together melted butter, 1-1/4 cups sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add 2 eggs; stir until blended. Stir in flour, cocoa, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt; blend well. Spread in prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until brownie layer pulls away from sides of pan.
3. Meanwhile for Truffle Cheesecake Layer, beat cream cheese and 3/4 cup sugar with electric mixer on medium speed in large bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in 4 eggs, heavy cream, 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon salt until well blended.
4. Set aside 2 tablespoons chocolate chips. Place remaining chips in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at Medium (50%) 1-1/2 minutes or until chips are melted and smooth when stirred. Gradually blend melted chocolate into cheesecake batter.
5. Remove Brownie Layer from oven and immediately spoon cheesecake mixture over brownie. Return to oven; continue baking 45 to 50 minutes or until center is almost set. Remove from oven to wire rack. With knife, loosen cake from side of pan. Cool to room temperature. Remove side of pan.
6. Place remaining 2 tablespoons chocolate chips and shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at Medium 30 seconds or until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Drizzle over top of cheesecake. Cover; refrigerate several hours until cold. Garnish as desired. Cover and refrigerate leftover cheesecake.