Narrative by Liz & Mel
Recipes by JoAnn
Looks like Amelia Broadway was experimenting in Sookie’s kitchen again, this time with raspberry tea and chocolate-filled cupcakes. While Amelia’s experiments haven’t always gone quite the way she had planned, this one might actually be a winner.
Amelia might be looking embarrassed. “I tried something new with Bob,” she said. “And it didn’t exactly work out right. This is Bob.” She picked up a big black cat with a white chest that had been curled up in an empty planter. I hadn’t even noticed him. “Isn’t he cute?” – Definitely Dead
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
4 3/4 cups cake flour, sifted, plus additional for dusting pans
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups whole milk
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sugar
9 large egg whites
2 Kalahari Raspberry Truffle tea sachets
1. Arrange oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
2. In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In small bowl, combine milk and vanilla.
3. In a small saucepan, add milk and bring to a slow simmer. Remove from heat and add 2 tea sachets. Let steep for 5 minutes, then remove tea bags. Mix in vanilla and sugar, let milk cool.
4. In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugar on moderate speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add 1/2 of flour mixture and beat until just combined. Add milk mixture and beat until just combined. Add remaining flour mixture and beat until just combined, then raise speed to moderately high and beat 10 seconds. Transfer to large bowl.
4. In clean bowl of electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until they hold stiff peaks.
5. Fold 1/3 of egg whites into batter to lighten. Gently fold in remaining 2/3 of egg whites until just incorporated. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
6. Bake until tops are springy to touch and testers come out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool cupcakes in pans on racks 30 minutes.
Ingredients for Whipped Cream Frosting:
1 pint heavy cream
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup raspberry jam
Directions for Whipped Cream Frosting:
Whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add jam, whip until stiff peaks form. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth.
Ingredients for chocolate ganache:
3/4 cup heavy cream
9 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate or bittersweet chocolate
1. Put the cream in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat and immediately sprinkle the chocolate into the cream. Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes. The heat of the cream should melt the chocolate. Gently stir the ganache until smooth. If the chocolate is not melting, place over very low heat, stirring often, until melted, taking care not to scorch the chocolate. Scrape into an airtight container and refrigerate until firm enough to roll, for at least 6 hours or preferably overnight.
To fill cupcakes, cut out a small cone shape from each, set aside pieces. Roll ganche into small balls that will fill each hole. Use reserved cupcake pieces to seal hole. Pipe on frosting and ENJOY!