True Blood Radio 146: Spellbound

This week’s episode of True Blood was a polarizing one, due to that iconic scene from the books that was adapted to screen (or was it?) in “Spellbound”. Liz & Mel discuss their take on the shower scene and Sookie & Eric’s relationship (but forget to talk about the blood bond!), plus everything else that happened in this episode leading up to the confrontation in the cemetery between witches, vampires, weres, and faeries. It was a busy night in Bon Temps! We also have news, listener emails, a new giveaway, and spoilers.

00:51 News
02:38 Win V-MODA True Blood headphones!
03:40 New features on True-Blood.net
05:12 Discussion of “Spellbound” (it was written by Alan Ball; our bad)
40:18 Ring, Ring Hookah! Favorite Quotes
42:08 Listener Emails
46:03 Spoilers

You can subscribe to True Blood Radio on iTunes here or watch back episodes on Blip.tv. As always, if you’d like to comment or ask a question, you can drop us a line or leave a comment below.

1. Sarah P

August 16, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I think many will agree with me, The shower scene was a DISAPPOINTMENT! I was screaming for ALAN BALL’s HEAD! Where is Dexter when you need him! I feel CHEATED! I know that the show has gone in a different direction but when your promised something you know is being used from the book you wait and wait only to be shown a “SNOW SCENE, NO SHOWER!” . THIS was when Jason was on V but more lame!

August 17, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Actually, we were promised a scene that was ‘weirder’ than in the books. That was Alan’s word at Comic Con.

• LeAnne

August 17, 2011 at 5:09 pm

lol! It was definately that! Thanks Liz for repeating his ACTUAL words. Many people were flipping out and getting down right rude…. and for no reason, he didn’t promise a shower scene exactly like the books.

2. Cyn

August 16, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I was disappointed too. It was pretty & sexy, loved Eric’s tush, but the shower scene in the book was OMG! This shower scene was weird.

3. summer

August 16, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Why complain? I think the book gave us a pretty good vision of Eric/Sookie together. So, why would AB do the exact same thing on TV? AB gave them to us in the swamp, on the wood floor, on the bed in a couple of positions, and even in the shower minus the water. Instead, AB went deeper than just sex, AB gave their relationship some meaning.

• Malfunktions

August 16, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Yea, I liked this version. It not only showed us the carnal desire we wanted but brought to us what we all were wondering about! The Blood Bond! IMO, maybe the snow and such wa sthe blood bond beginning…???… posssibly an overdramatized one but I don’t mind.:) . Now, the real question is will the bond be as strong as in the books and will Sookie feel the same way about it?
      Will we be confronted by her indecisions about it?

August 17, 2011 at 11:02 am

Oh that’s a good way to look at it! I hadn’t thought about the blood bond effecting this scene, but it sure makes sense.

August 17, 2011 at 11:01 am

I love what you’re saying here, Summer.

• LeAnne

August 17, 2011 at 5:22 pm

yes yes yes Summer! thank you! I have said it before and I will say it again, everyone has a right to their opinion. I actually enjoy reading other points of view, however the rude comments are not necessary. I seem to have the “unpopular” opinion that the scene was cute. I enjoyed it and thought it furthered their relationship 😉

4. viggolover1

August 16, 2011 at 3:41 pm

OK!! This is my opinion…I have read the books and yes! as a bookie I was waiting for the shower scene…but in the books the shower scene is more like the beggining of Sookie and Eric’s relationship, it symbolize when Sookie yield finally to Eric…for some weird reason we remember this scene as the hottest thing on Earth…when in reality it wasn’t the hot. I re-read the scene. The sex in bed on the other hand…HOT!!!. At this point True Blood Sookie had yield already to Eric. So…it didn’t make any sense to re-create what happen in the book. Plus a similar scene was given to Sookie and Bill. I like what AB did and believe me I’m not his biggest fan. But I think ( at leas to me) he delivered. I love how both of them where mezmerise by each other. How when they saw the bed they thought about making love for eternity. Sookie and Bill never had anything like that. This scene is telling us that Sookie and Eric really care for each other and they are really in love with each other. I rewach the scene more than once and every time I like it even more. And after they came back from the V trip, I love how Sookie remind Eric the warrior the he is. Sookie gets Eric and Eric gets Sookie. The only thing that worries me is when she reminded him that he was human too and that was she was falling for. I know that Book Sookie struggles about Eric’s vampire side…but she needs to learn how to love all of him. I hope when Eric recovers his memory he remembers his time with Sookie or at least some of it. Or he gets the feeling that something happened. The Blood Bond I love it…contrary from the books she did it voluntary, she wasn’t force or trick to it. Eric told Sookie if she did this they will become one and she didn’t hesitate to drink his blood. Sookie knows what this means and she went for it. So, go back with an open mind forget about the shower scene in the book and rewatch it. Plus Alexander said this was his favorite scene. It took them 2 full days to do it. Poor Ana…LOL!!

August 17, 2011 at 11:05 am

You know, this is well said, viggolover. I always thought that Sookie and Eric’s scenes in bed were by far sexier than that shower scene. It wasn’t that big a deal in my mind.

August 17, 2011 at 11:14 am

Amen to that. The shower scene was just the prelude to some hot sex and true intimacy, which, if you think about it, is what we we’re seeing between Sookie & Eric on the show. Hot sex, yes, but so far they seem to be much more intimate than any other couple we’ve seen on the show.

5. Heidi G.

August 16, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Killing Hoyt – I was just commenting that I’m all for Jessica being her own Vamp and not tied to any human prior to seeing this episode…The dream was definitely a shocker and the break up was cruel. I agree with the both of you that It was cruel to his heart. I thought she would kill him for being so cruel for sure.

Eric & Sookie Snow Scene – I thought it was tapping into the magic that is Sookie and that’s where I thought the show was going with this fantasy. I have not read the books so I don’t know what it’s supposed to be like but I was totally into the sex in the forest scene – there should be more loving like that!

Tommy – He’s been a frustrating character for me this season. I wouldn’t care for him to show up in Season 5. He’s not an important character to me.

Witches Vs. the Vamps – I am not happy not knowing what is going to happen!!! I felt, before the vamps even showed up, that the witches had a bigger advantage just knowing that Antonia has that power to control them.

Pam – Pam – Pam – I LOVE HER!!!!! She’s looking better! I also love her verbiage. Very thought out, simple at times, but effective!

Tara – Loving her this season as well. I think she could be the key to bringing Antonia down. . but who knows.

Eric – I don’t like seeing him be a puppet. . .this really drags. I think this is interesting however a drag. lol. I am dreading the idea that Antonia erases his mind again totally loosing what Eric and Sookie experienced together..very sad in my opinion.

Jason – Thanks for saving Jessica! I thought – hmm not a ware-panther but a vampire!! brilliant…haha NOT FOR JASON!

Season 4 is progressing to be my favorite yet!

Podcast – Awesomeness! I just discovered you ladies today. I am thrilled and I am looking forward to finishing the season with the show and you ladies!

August 17, 2011 at 11:03 am

Thanks for coming in and commenting, Heidi. It’s interesting to hear from someone who hasn’t read the books and is watching the show without prior knowledge or expectations. What we’re hearing from “non-bookies” is that they’re loving the Eric/Sookie stuff this season and were pleased with the snow scene. I thought it worked within the context of the show, definitely, but I have the book scenes in my head warring for domination. 😀

I agree that Tara could be the key to bringing down Antonia. I truly believe that her love for Sookie will overcome her desire for revenge on the vampires.

6. Jules

August 16, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I had mentioned in a previous post before this episode aired that the shower scene would probably disappoint due to the fact that E/S had already consummated their relationship. I think book 4 was well written and set the bar pretty high! Now, looking at the episode without expectations it was entertaining. As TB always is. Yet, they could have done w/out the bizarro v-trip. All that was missing was a pretend tea party. Where’s the mad hatter? Weird.

August 17, 2011 at 11:08 am

LOL! It did resemble a scene from “Alice”, but like you said, True Blood is, was and always will be, fun! When you think about it, the whole show is fantasy. Thanks, Jules!

• LeAnne

August 17, 2011 at 7:27 pm

that is one of the many things that O love about True Blood…. Fantasy!!! 😉 that is definately AB’s strong suit. Like Jessica’s dream… She slambed Hoyt’s head so hard she had what looked like skull fragments on her face! Loved it! very creative

7. Dee

August 17, 2011 at 12:45 am

Took this evening to catch up on the last two radio-casts! Loved them! Y’all had me lol’ing for real.

I’m N.E.V.E.R. going to complain about seeing AS naked, even if strategically places legs and blankets obstruct the view. I think AS is playing this to perfection given what he has to work with.

*BOOK 4 SPOILERS*

AB has completely lost the spirit of the books with regards to Eric’s character. IMHO, he has from the minute Eric was introduced on the show AND he’s given so much of the character defining depth, the charm and honor, that really belongs to Eric to Bill. For me, so much of the greatness of book 4 wasn’t just what happened between Sookie and Eric in the shower, or in bed, but what happened between them otherwise. Eric laughing at “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”. Eric telling Jason he should take Sookie into his house and protect her more. Sookie struggling with herself, knowing the manipulative, political being Eric is and knowing that despite all that he’s the one that really “gets her”. So much more!

I’m not diggin’ at all how Eric was in the witch war up to this point. It was a de-evolution of his character for him to rip out the throat of the Wiccan holding the silver platter and just devouring the guy Wiccan.

I could so go on, but I won’t bore y’all with any more of my ranting. LOL

I loved the Bill/Tara scene where he saves her from Pam. It really showed what a win/win situation it was for Bill, while at the same time forces Tara to really think about vampires in a different light, (har-de-har). Bill scores brownie points with Sookie, or he will when she finds out. He pays back the debt he owes Tara for helping him escape from Lorena and for leaving Tara at in the hands of Franklin when he was really powerless to help her AND he still gets to maintain the AVL party line of no vampires harming humans. Tara now is forced to see why Sookie likes these vampires and fights with them. Really great scene!

So much great stuff the last two shows! I’ve literally been on the edge of my seat & yelling @ the tv (all in good fun of course! LOL)

August 17, 2011 at 11:10 am

Thanks, Dee! It’s always good to hear from you. 🙂

8. Rick

August 17, 2011 at 3:16 am

I think the Ghost lady Mavis believes her child is dead, but in reality he isn’t and was raised as a Belfeur. I’m curious as to how Jesus will respond to Lafayette and child.

August 17, 2011 at 9:46 am

Now THAT would be an interesting twist! What if her baby was Caroline Bellefleur’s father?

• LeAnne

August 17, 2011 at 9:35 pm

soooo many fun ways this story can go! Nelson E is doing an awsome job with all of the “medium” stuff!!! Like so many other actors on this show he is very talented.

9. LeAnne

August 17, 2011 at 9:31 pm

This is the first Podcast that I have seen. I enjoyed it ladies! Always love to chat and hear about all that is True Blood! So much so that I helped make a new True Blood fan in my manager. I lent her seasons 1-3 and she is currently catching up on 4. She only took 2 weeks to do it! LOL! I saw a commercial for True Blood season 1 right before season 2 started and was immediately intrested so I watched using “on demand”. I was hooked after episode 1. I had no idea that this show was inspired by Charlaine Harris’ books until about halfway season 2. I started with book 1 (of corse) and again was hooked. I have now read all 11 (twice hehe). I love them both for different reasons. I try not to do too much compairing because it will drive ya crazy sometimes! I think AB is a genious and love many of the changes he has made ( LaLa, Jessica to name a few). As I have said before and will continue to say, if the show was EXACTLY like the books there would be no suspence. How boring would that be??? Anyway, now that I have found this site I look forward to reading, listening and posting more in the future….. GREAT job on the site!!!

10. Viv

August 18, 2011 at 8:50 am

Hhhm, enjoyed the episode apart from the Eric & Sookie shower/snow scenes. I’m sorry to say I cringed in embarrassment at some of the cheesy, stilted dialogue between them. It was the least interesting part of the episode IMO although I love seeing their scenes together normally.

I think Eric has lost his personality as well as his memory recently. I was expecting great stuff as I loved when he cheekily ran around drunk on fairy blood a few episodes ago but have been quite disappointed since. I just wanted to see Eric and Sookie fall for each other in a believable way. I’m just hoping he gets his memory back asap!

11. Jaeric

August 18, 2011 at 9:02 am

Love all the comments it is great to see everyone’s opinions. For me the Eric/Sookie story line in the show is much more meaningful in than Bill/Sookie or E/S in the books. Their blood bond is the first time Eric drank from her since losing his memory. Bill was always about drinking from Sookie before, during and after sex. Eric and Sookie have real love as she wasn’t tainted by his blood to fall in love with him. Her relationship with Bill was based on completely unnatural feelings and manipulation. Can’t wait to see how they deal with Eric’s memory loss and if they follow the books or not. I hope not in this instance.
    As for the shower scene – I agree with others I am just happy they got together period. I did think the snow/bed scene was a bit cheesy but if you classify it as a V trip then that works for me. Loving the season so far!!!

12. Kissy

August 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I guess I am confused why Sookie was high on Eric’s blood at all. She had his blood before , when she sucked the bullet out. Was it because it was a mutual exchange? But I thought you only got high on vamp blood if it DID NOT come directly from the source, like Jason and Amy trippin’ on V. I was disappointed in the scene, and like i said totally confused by it, and hopefully it will be explained why they had a V trip. If anyone gets what happened , please explain. 🙂 Like Mel and Liz said, Sookie had Bill’s blood before and never got high.

13. Vida

August 19, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Where do I begin, there was a lot of disappointment in this episode. Basically can’t stand “politician” Bill now. I suspect his every move, even with his dealing with the AVL, as if he is only looking for ways to rise to even more power. Once we have watched the back story on Bill, we see this has really been his only motive all along. I feel he only wants Sookie for the same reason.

Poor Hoyt, hated seeing him turn into a total jerk, being meaner than I thought Hoyt could be. Tara is truly becoming a character I can’t stand. I don’t think she has any loyalty to anyone other than maybe Layfayette.

Well, the shower scene: okay, I understand the whole needing to change it since Sookie and Eric had already had sex a few times, but Eric is becoming such a pansy that it is embarrassing. He should at least retain some of his personality even if he is under some kind of spell. I will be so bummed if Eric now loses all his memory of Sookie again and stays a lapdog for even longer. I really long for the old Eric. The last thing I want to see is Bill run in and become Sookies main squeeze again.

14. Susnebraska

August 20, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I think Sookie should have listened to her grandmother when she said via witch Marnie that – it’s temporary, the Eric love affair. Grandma was right. Watch. Sookie will end up back with Bill – that would be wonderful. And, Eric will return to his arrogant self..