EP Alexander Woo Explains Sookie’s Feelings for Bill & Eric

The Hollywood Reporter has a new interview with True Blood executive producer/writer Alexander Woo, focusing on Sookie’s feelings for the two vampires in her life: Bill and Eric. Woo gives some insight into Sookie, Eric and Bill as individual characters as well as their feelings for each other, and hints at a potential conflict between Pam, Eric, and Sookie.

THR: Some fans have still not forgiven Bill for all that he has done to Sookie in service to the former queen. Do you and the other writers believe you’ve done a good job of portraying Bill as someone Sookie can still be in love with?

Woo: I still think we feel very strongly that he was Sookie’s first love, and there’s something always very special about your first love. It wasn’t all that long ago either. It’s a very recent first love that was very, very deep. Even though there are all these things that have happened in the interim in the time of the show, we’ve had four seasons since they first met — but in their world, a little over a year. I think it still resonates that there is this awakening that came about in her life with Bill, and he will always be a very special part of her life. I think in the world that [creator Alan Ball] has created Bill is certainly going to be a part of that world.

He doesn’t necessarily have to be Sookie’s lover, but he’s always going to be a huge part of her life. I can’t say for certain that we’ve made any hard and fast decision, but to me it feels very strongly that Bill is always going to be a presence and always going to be a candidate for her affections.

Eric, by the way, in the world that we’ve created is also now, as much as he sometimes hates her and as much as she sometimes hates him, he’s always going to be under her skin for the life of the series as well. I don’t think that can go away either.

(Read the rest of the interview here…)

1. Kim

September 5, 2011 at 3:48 pm

A few thoughts:
    First, I consider the depth of connection and intimacy created by Eric & sookie to be deeper due to the fact that #1 there was pure honesty & openness in their relationship, and they were profoundly drawn to each other. #2 it was not initially blood-induced (until they both chose to). These are in contrast to her relationship with Bill in which he lost no time in giving her his blood, even allowing her to be beat to a pulp so it could be justified, knowing full well the effects of that blood on her feelings, and although the intensity and passion of that relationship was compelling, it was shrouded in deception. The purity & nobility of the amnesiac Eric (although fragmented from his other self) shines in stark contrast to the tormented guilty Bill, who does seem to have figured out, as Russel Edgington named, how to make the experience last. I must admit that I have always appreciated the brooding viking more than the politician bill, and found that in most if his choices, even the worst (imprisoning Lafayette, because he was connected with a vampire disappearance & forcing him to sell the queens v AND drinking from Sookie to trick Russel into walking in the sun) were somehow justified and coolly pragmatic. I am curious to see if he can find a way for his tender human part to survive & perhaps guide him once all his utilitarian realities reemerge.
    Great love triangle!

• Emily

September 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I don’t think that could be more perfectly said.

• Fact Checker

September 5, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Eric tricked Sookie into drinking his blood in season 2.

• Kim

September 6, 2011 at 8:37 am

True…it was a “smug sarcastic ass” move, but a piece of trickery that was almost instantly exposed (not ongoing deception), and once again served Eric’s pragmatic (ends justify the means) purpose of connecting himself to Sookie. I could have named this manipulation as one of his worst actions, but I guess I just loved the dream sequences that resulted. It’s important to note, however, at the beginning of this season, Sookie asked Eric how much of his blood is left in her (when he invades her room, another ssa move); clearly the erotic effects do wear off eventually, so their amnesiac tryst still has a sense of innocence and authenticity as opposed to compulsion in my mind.

2. babi

September 5, 2011 at 7:10 pm

TB creators/writers/producers forgot the #1 thing about TV shows: rating. I’m sure that at least 51% of TB viewers are tuning in the show to see Skarsgard.
    If they keep sh*tting on his character, Eric lovers will resort to fanfics, Skarsgard lovers can feast on the Swedish actor in his abundant upcoming projects, and just give up on TB.
    These creators/writers/producers will eventually lose the 51%, incur in ratings, and lost $$.
    Good luck.

September 6, 2011 at 9:36 am

True Blood’s ratings have been setting records this season, so I don’t think they’re too worried about that.

• Che

September 6, 2011 at 4:07 pm

My comment was actually meant as a reply to you, Babi.
      Sorry Mel, but I genuinely think the record-breaking records won’t last long..

3. Che

September 5, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Well said. And I always believe that if a TV show producer feels like he/she needs to “defend” his/her character then said character is effed. doomed. in deep sh*t. whatever you wanna call it.
    Oh man, can’t these ppl see how we hate Bill’s guts? In Eric’s words “lovable, isn’t he?”

~ S. Moyer maybe male lead, but A. Skarsgard never fail to steal the thunder ~

4. Sookieeleana

September 9, 2011 at 11:58 am

Doesn’t sound like Bill and Sookie are going to be lovers again then??
    Depends on my state of mind at any one moment as to whether or not I like what Woo said 🙂

And I do agree with the previous poster about trying to prop up certain characters and other characters who don’t need any help. (Not going to mention any names of course)