True Blood Radio 158: Sookie Book 12 & True Blood Season 5

Discussion about Sookie book 12 took off last week when the cover was revealed, and we have your comments and speculations about what it all means in this week’s podcast. We also read a few reader comments about the casting of a major new character, plus more news and spoilers.

Things We Mentioned In This Podcast
[easyazon-link asin=”1937007448″]Deadlocked: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel[/easyazon-link]
Peoples Choice Awards
Lisbeth Scott’s new album, Om Sweet Om
True Blood Season 5 Spoilers

You can subscribe to True Blood Radio on iTunes here or watch back episodes on Blip.tv. As always, if you’d like to comment or ask a question, you can drop us a line or leave a comment below.

1. esw45

November 17, 2011 at 10:43 am

Hello Mel & Liz……thanks for the recognition of my Nora comments….and yes I am a guy…..and I love TB.

On your podcast about Deadlocked spoilers, I have only watched the show TB but i have seen and heard a lot about the books and in particular Eric and Sookie intense relationship/romance and why would CH put so much time and care into this relationship only to have people heartbroken when it will end and then put sookie with Sam who is boring at best probably a nice guy…..but I don’t see sookie settling for an ordinary life. Just how I see it…..I know you guys love Sam but from my perspective Eric and sookie has gone thru so much to be together…..I guess I am a romantic….

November 18, 2011 at 11:51 am

Esw, if you had read the books you would be able to see that Sam is not boring at all and he is very much a part of Sookie’s life. The True Blood Sam is nothing like he is in the books. Also, Sam has been through just as much with Sam as she has with Eric.

For the record, I really do enjoy reading your comments. They are always intelligent and insightful, as well as fair.

• tash

November 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I completely agree….I hope she doesn’t end up with Sam, although I think I would prefer him over Bill. In book 11 after the blood bond is severed, sookie realises she loves eric regardless but i think for her, eric needs to seperate himself from the vampire politics for them to be together. In book 4 (and in TB season 4), eric was happy to offer this to sookie. When his memory was regained this changed but it is possible.

• Jessica

November 19, 2011 at 11:11 am

I enjoy reading about Sookie’s exploits with other men, but in the end I want Sookie with Sam. Sometimes it’s best to end up with a kind, stable man who is always there for you instead of the more sexy, exciting type. It’s great that Sookie had her adventures, and while I hope she continues to have them, the healthiest thing for her to be with someone she can have a full life with. After all, this isn’t Twilight.

• Ashley

November 25, 2011 at 7:01 pm

If you love that kind, stable man, then yes, it is. I don’t think it’s about who’s can give you a normal life. It’s about who you truly are in love with. And for Sookie that’s Eric.

And also, I don’t think Sookie wants a “normal” life any longer. She could live a full life with Eric without having children or that traditional idea of HEA. Sookie’s life is anything but tradiitional, and she’s come to prefer it that way in my opinion. She would be bored in a normal life. She will never leave the supernatural world or stop associating with vampires, which Sam has always judged her for and not approved of. He may be a good friend that she can rely on, but he doesn’t truly get or undertand Sookie like Eric does.

2. Sookieeleana

November 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Thanks for including the rambling thoughts of some of us posters. We don’t all agree with each other all the time but that would be dull so it’s great you let us give our opinions. Liz we pronounce it eleena (think it’s spanish origin but unfortunately I’m not so exotic).
    We should start a campaign for Viggo to appear in TB. I don’t care what part he plays. He can be the guy who sits on a stool at the end of the bar for all I care!

November 18, 2011 at 11:52 am

I’d much rather see Viggo in “Once Upon a Time”. Hee!

3. esw45

November 17, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Hey eleena, as long as TB stays away from matching robes and couch scenes…..I believe there will be less ramblings from the listeners…lol

• Irina

November 18, 2011 at 1:45 am

God save us from matching robes and couch monologues. Whoever wrote that break-up scene deserves the True Death.

• Sookieleana

November 18, 2011 at 3:31 am

That was the worst scene ever – please don’t bring it up again – my scars are still raw.
        It was so bad I can’t even laugh about it.

• simon

November 18, 2011 at 4:07 am

this is the best series ever i cant sleep , i stay up till early morning to watch the episodes well i bought all seasons and cant wait for season 5 to come up. its better then twilight guys keep it up 😀

November 18, 2011 at 8:28 am

Reminder: stay on topic. 😉 I already deleted one comment that tried to turn this thread into another bash True Blood/complain about Sookie discussion. Not the appropriate place, folks.

November 18, 2011 at 11:55 am

I actually loved that scene. A lot was dealt with in it. I think that if people could really listen to what Sookie said in that scene, and open their minds just a touch, they might actually hear what she was saying and admire her more.

• esw45

November 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I might agree with you Liz if sookie was actually going to be single and figure out what she needs and wants…..-but i would be pleasantly surprise if they did that but Alcide will probably hook up with her……so i dont think it was written for her to get clarity on her life….i feel it was done to throw this werewolf a bone so to speak…..

4. Irina

November 18, 2011 at 1:13 am

I read Book 11 and didn’t see ANY indication that Sookie and Sam were even interested in each other romantically. Sam is a friend. Sookie hadn’t even mentioned fantasizing about him in a long time. There is nothing interesting about Sam. What does he have to offer Sookie other than not being a vampire or a were? Why would Sookie settle for him?

November 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Because he came to her rescue. Because he has always loved her and respected her. Because he always accepted her no matter what she could do. Because he never used her for her abilities. These are all a few of the things Sam did for Sookie. And Sookie has always had a crush on Sam, but he was her boss and she had rules about that.

And when Sam watched Sookie fall for first Bill then Eric, he stepped out of the way, accepting her decision, even though he didn’t like it.

What does Sam have to offer Sookie? Well, friendship says it all. He’s the one person that Sookie could count on to always have her back.

• esw45

November 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm

That sounds wonderful for a friend…..but for a HEA there needs to be Passion and deep love coming from her……so when you and your partner can’t “stand each other” at times the loving and Passion will have you put up with stuff…..she has that with Eric in the books….from what I have read….Sam right now has not crossed over to that …he might …..we will see…I don’t want her to settle cause Ewric is not easy to deal with like Sam.

November 18, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I think that all depends on your view of how a lasting relationship should be. Passion is a show of affection, and deep love has to have time to grow. It should begin with a friendship. With Eric, it was all physical. With Sam there is more of a chance for HEA.

• esw45

November 18, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I think if it was only physical with Eric it would have stopped long before now……that stuff gets boring and tedious afterwhile…..the thing with Eric has gone much more farther and deeper than I believe either one of them thought it would have…..I really appreciated your insight on this…..whether I agree or not ….it is a nice conversation.

• Ashley

November 25, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I think it was at first, but after that it grew into something much more than just physical. I don’t think you have to be friends with someone before you get together with them, I think that’s not true at all. My parents have been married for 27 years and they weren’t friends before they started dating. I think the love between Sookie and Eric has grown into something deep. It doesn’t matter how it started.

• trixie

November 19, 2011 at 5:24 am

Actually I always found it weird how Sam didn’t ask Sookie out UNTIL Bill came into her life. He had years to make his move while she was single and didn’t. Also, he might have “stepped out of the way” (which implies he had some claim on her and I don’t see it) but he’s never refrained from expressing his disapproval of her choices and even questioning her intelligence, especially about Eric. I found this very judgmental rather than accepting, especially since he’s apparently too ashamed of his own girlfriend to bring her to a family wedding…

As I already said, Sam may love her but I don’t think he truly gets her. Just like BIll. The only one Sookie’s ever mentioned feeling like he “gets” her, is Eric, and I agree.

November 19, 2011 at 10:03 am

Do we know for sure that Sam never asked her out until Bill came into her life? The books start with Bill’s arrival, and Sookie isn’t prone to thinking about the past, so it’s hard to tell what happened before. Then again, you know men: sometimes they don’t realize they want you until someone else shows interest. LOL

5. brandikay

November 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm

From the beginning there has been this build up of chemistry between Sookie and Eric that built into a something more and if it is jut completely cut off at the knees by TB it will be extremely hard to take. I do not believe that will happen in the books, but in the show who knows and that scares me. There is so much more to their relationship that could be incorporated into season 5 or furture seasons. It will be very dissapointing if nothing is there. Alexander Skarsgard is one of the MAIN reasons I watch and he doesnt get enough screen time or credit as it is. The love triangle between Sookie, Bill and Eric is kinda of the center of the show, not that that is all it is. Honestly, I could really do without the scnenes where they venture into fairy land.

November 30, 2011 at 10:20 am

You’re wrong about Skarsgard not getting enough screen time or credit. Maybe he doesn’t get enough screen time for you, but this is not the “Eric Northman Hour”, it’s True Blood. And Alan Ball adores Skarsgard and always gives him credit for his work on the show. Not to mention the Scream Awards he’s received and the buzz about him on a daily basis when the show in on the air. I’d say Skarsgard gets more credit then his co-stars, much to his chagrin.