Robert Pattinson Accidentally Starts Vampire Wars

A quote from [easyazon-link asin=”B001P5HRMI”]Twilight[/easyazon-link] star Robert Pattinson came out last week, and it’s causing quite the uproar around the Interwebz. While we don’t usually post things like this, we just had to share (and chuckle) with the rest of our Truebie friends:

“It’s like that Coke versus Pepsi thing, and how Coke just said ‘There’s a reason everyone compares themselves to us,’” he said, according to Web site Hollywood Life. “‘Twilight’ was the original and everybody’s trying to copy it. They’re all just trying to jump aboard the ‘Twilight’ train.” (via NYPost)

Now, in the interest of full disclosure I have to admit that I haven’t watched any of the [easyazon-link asin=”B001P5HRMI”]Twilight[/easyazon-link] movies and only made it halfway through book 2 before giving up on the series. In other words, my loyalties do not lie in that direction.

This quote is making headlines on various media and fansites, many of whom are claiming that Pattinson is dissing [easyazon-link asin=”B001FB4W0W”]True Blood[/easyazon-link] and [easyazon-link asin=”B002JVWR9U”]The Vampire Diaries[/easyazon-link]. The source of the quote is an interview with Pattinson and Taylor Lautner on German TV network Viva and, from my perspective, it seems like he’s referring more to the books and movies that originated after [easyazon-link asin=”B001P5HRMI”]Twilight[/easyazon-link] in order to take advantage of the current vampire phenomenon than those that existed before.

For easy reference, the [easyazon-link asin=”0441018238″]Sookie Stackhouse novels[/easyazon-link] were launched in 2001; [easyazon-link asin=”B0042FZVSA”]The Vampire Diaries[/easyazon-link] way back in 1991; while the [easyazon-link asin=”B000QRIGLW”]Twilight[/easyazon-link] book series didn’t arrive until 2005.

It was the Fall of 2008 when vampires hit the mainstream in a sort of perfect storm of circumstances: [easyazon-link asin=”B001FB4W0W”]True Blood[/easyazon-link] premiered on HBO in September, the first [easyazon-link asin=”B001P5HRMI”]Twilight[/easyazon-link] movie was released in November, and both book series were on the New York Times best seller lists. Suddenly, vampires were everywhere and, yes, many people decided to jump on the bandwagon to supply us with more vampire-themed entertainment. I’d say this explosion of interest was instrumental in the CW greenlighting [easyazon-link asin=”B002JVWR9U”]The Vampire Diaries[/easyazon-link] as a TV series, although the novels had been out for almost 20 years at that point.

Was [easyazon-link asin=”B001P5HRMI”]Twilight[/easyazon-link] the originator of the current vampire craze? No, but it certainly played a large part in making vampires mainstream along with [easyazon-link asin=”B001FB4W0W”]True Blood[/easyazon-link] and the [easyazon-link asin=”0441018238″]Sookie Stackhouse novels[/easyazon-link]. I really don’t think Pattinson meant to diss either [easyazon-link asin=”B001FB4W0W”]True Blood[/easyazon-link] and [easyazon-link asin=”B002JVWR9U”]The Vampire Diaries[/easyazon-link], but instead was referring to the plethora of other vampire media that has come out in the last couple of years. And, you know, he is part of a billion-dollar franchise, so we might forgive him for feeling some sense of ownership over the phenomenon.

Pattinson is right on one thing, though: [easyazon-link asin=”B001P5HRMI”]Twilight[/easyazon-link] can lay claim to the original “sparkly vampires”. 😉

What’s your take on the hullabaloo? Much ado about nothing or does Pattinson have his dates mixed up?

1. Liz

November 28, 2011 at 11:18 am

While I understand that Pattinson is proud of his work and happy that the series has been a success, I think he needs a little more educating before he can make a statement like this one. I think that Truebies are just the people to do the educating. 😉

• esw45

November 28, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I like Twilight but its comparing Apple with oranges….one is catered to young adults and probably teenagers and TB is for adults or mature people. I like TB a lot more myself and the Vampire Diaries as well….also TB would work as a movie because it feels like one every week I watch it.

2. James brazil

November 28, 2011 at 11:37 am

Yea its not like the Sookie stackhouse novels came out in 2001 and twilight in 2005…….. o wait its just like that.

3. Kathy

November 28, 2011 at 11:41 am

Well, in reality, though SVM had been out years before the Twilight books (btw I find some of the similarities between the books disturbing), the furor over the “Twilight” books came before “True Blood” was a twinkle in Alan Ball’s eye. I’m no Twilight fan, but the fact is if there had been no “Twilight” there probably wouldn’t have been “True Blood.” So what Rob says doesn’t bother me at all. I suppose part of it is True Blood has all but lost me anyway. I’m sticking with the SVM books which definitely came first.

4. lesa

November 28, 2011 at 11:45 am

I too only made it through half of the second book and one movie–too boring and tame for my tastes–i always say twilight is true blood for pre-teens lol–he’s just jealous!–and whats that whole sparkling like my little pony about?–silly if u ask me…

5. Heather A. Fowler

November 28, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Um… I hate to remind people of this for the MILLIONTH time, but there were MANY successful and popular vampire series, shows, movies, and novels before even Charlaine started out. All of us owe our thanks to Chelsea Quinn Yarboro, Anne Rice, Dark Shadows and a plethora of horror and paranormal romance authors who kept those of us who loved vampires entertained long before Twilight came twinkling along and decimated the lore.

Buffy forever!

November 28, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Heather, we’re talking about the CURRENT vampire phenomenon. Yes, the path was paved decades earlier, but our current vampire craze was ignited in the Fall of 2008, as noted in the article above. CBS tried to tap into it with Moonlight (*sniff* Miss you, Mick St. John!) during the 2007-2008 season, but it wasn’t until True Blood and Twilight hit that vampires went mainstream (again).

November 28, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Wow, I totally forgot about the “Buffy” era! You’re right, Heather.

The vampire series/movies/novels popularity ebbs and flows at different times. Of course Sookie, Damon, Edward and all the others are not the first, but they are in this generation. After ‘Buffy’ the vampires began to decline in popularity again, until brought to center stage again by these more recent projects.

That being said, vampires are slowly beginning to move over with the fairy tale stories being brought to the front and made popular. Vampire films have paved the way for them.

6. Kathy

November 28, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Tis true. I was a HUGE Anne Rice fan back when those books first came out. Lestat was my guy, but the latest cycle had sort of ended with Buffy. Moonlight only managed to last a season. But the kids were a-clamoring for Twilight, that’s all I’m saying.

7. Sookieeleana

November 28, 2011 at 1:04 pm

It was Buffy that started the whole vamp thing for me.
    Well actually Spike.

Saw the first Twilight movie but got bored in the second one and never finished it. I also found the main character a bit creepy. 100 year old vamps going into high schools isn’t for me I’m afraid.

I don’t think Alan Ball was influenced by the Twilight success, I believe he picked up the book whilst waiting to see his doctor and just loved it. Would HBO have financed it without Twilight, it’s hard to say but I think Alan would have enough respect in the business to get people to listen to his idea.

November 28, 2011 at 1:51 pm

You’re right about the timing. Alan had True Blood in the works in the summer of 2007, but the writer’s strike pushed production back until late spring 2008.

Mmmmm…Spike. 😉

8. mine

November 29, 2011 at 9:24 am

blame the interviewer, he is the one said that. i didnt agree with rob, but at least he said what he think … not being polite/lie

9. patty

November 30, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Robert was laughing after making these comments. He was joking but taken completely out of context.

10. LeAnne

December 1, 2011 at 10:49 am

sorry “sparkly vampires” are not for me… Have given the movies a try and didn’t care for them @ all. (love the sparkly vampire line BTW)