Inside the Episode: True Blood 5.02 “Authority Always Wins”

Take a look behind the scenes of this week’s episode of True Blood, “Authority Always Wins”, with HBO’s Inside the Episode featurette.

1. TeaAna

June 18, 2012 at 2:38 am

I need to go on record:

Nora. Double Agent… Roman & Eric.

I love her character (though I voted for Newlin in this weeks poll ’cause he’s just soo fun)… Anyway, if she’s as bomb as she’s seems and by what I’m reading from the episodes- I think she has both Roman and Eric wrapped around her sexy lil fangs. Workin’ them the way she wants- in the direction she wants things to go.

Just a few questions I have asked myself:
    Is she being tortured? Did Roman REALLY want to stake Bill?
    How did the authority know about Bill/Eric escape plan? Why kill everyone ‘cept those three?
    Why draw-out this whole thing when, as mentioned, the mess has been cleaned up and ding-dong the witch is dead? Because of Nan? …..when no one seemed fond of her?
    etc… you guys get where I’m going with this, don’t ya?

Who would she really do anything for? Eric or Roman? Both or neither?

Am I wrong? Right? All nonsense?

Anyway- there’s my inside the episode. πŸ˜€
    (And what a fantastic episode it was!)

June 18, 2012 at 8:39 am

Yes, Nora is a double agent. That was part of her casting call way back last autumn.

2. Luz

June 18, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I have been a devoted fan of True Blood as many are but yesterday’s episode completely offended me when they referred to God as a vampire and then proceded to enact a “communion”. What is that?! I have enjoyed the many outrageous scenes in previous scenes, but to be sacrilegous is really going beyond. It’s too bad… I will no longer watch the show and am giving away all my season cd’s. I love vampire stories and was an avid fan. But I love my God more…. good luck.

June 18, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Sorry to hear that, Luz. As a Christian myself, I wasn’t offended by that fictional account of how fictional creatures came into existence.

• Neonskyq1

June 18, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I agree with mel I wasn’t offended becaus I knew it was all fictional

June 18, 2012 at 1:01 pm

You know, offense is a self-inflicted wound.

• Cleo777

June 18, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I’m with you, Luz. I know it’s fiction, and yet I flinched when that whole subject came up–I mean, vampires created in His image? And humans as vampire food? Well, that makes sense but the rest….still love the show and trying to suspend my disbelief but that scene bothered me.

June 18, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Yeah, it gave me a twinge of “O RLY TB?” but it’s their twist on the Jewish mythology of Lilith, and it fits into the True Blood mythology. On a show that routine depicts horrific acts of violence, frequent explicit sex scenes, and more F-bombs than a military air show, I find it interesting that this fictional vampire theology is where some people draw the line. Remember, just because the vampires believe it, doesn’t mean it’s true. πŸ˜‰

3. Amber

June 18, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I agree with you Mel. I am Catholic and was not offended. I dont take my religion to my TV on Sunday nights. πŸ™‚ I agree with you, not being offended over extreme violence and sex, but all of a sudden made up words are offensive (sounds like hypocrazy)

Luz: Don’t punish yourself…God knows you dont believe in all the vampire theocrazy and he loves you.

BTW: I already love Roman!

4. summerfree

June 18, 2012 at 10:26 pm

If you are watching True Blood to begin with you can’t be offended with the last episode regardless what they are portraying. If you weren’t offended when Bill broke Lorena’s neck while having sex, why be offended with this extra fictional twist. Offended, really?

5. Madeleine

June 19, 2012 at 12:14 am

What a sad day for humanity….Christians offended by a fictional show…..
    What about the real life offenses? People who believe otherwise, in a different god or in none at all?
    Are you offended by gay people because the bibel (god’s word isn’t it?) states that men and men should not lie together?
    Do you quit going to indian restaurants because one of their gods is depictured as an elephant or cows are sacred to them?
    What about movies and films about greek or other gods? How much offense do you take in Thor or The Avengers?
    Anyone remember Mary-Ann who was serving Bacchus? Who was offended when she sacrificed people for her god?
    What about all the horrible things done to people over centuries in the name of god?
    Isn’t this one of the points of the show? To demonstrate where narrow minded thinking and fantisms leads to?
    It’s just religion people and if men was created in god’s image the allmighty might even have a sense of humor πŸ˜‰

6. TeaAna

June 19, 2012 at 1:13 am

Hehe… I watched the ep with my mom- who is extremely Christian while I happen to be extremely Agnostic. Definitely gotta be at least somewhat open-minded to fully enjoy True Blood. (The “twisted” sex scene reminder brought back hilarious memories, thanks Summerfree) πŸ™‚ Anyway, we immediately started joking about it: “…next you’ll have the fairies claiming they were made in God’s image… then the shifters… etc.” Good times.

Anyway, I don’t claim to know as much about the show as Liz and Mel. Also, I DO NOT read anywhere near most of the posts of goodies here… but when I mentioned Nora as “double-agent” in my first post… I knew that had been brought to our attention- but the detail specifically towards Roman is what I am guessing towards. Is that old news too? Basically, when she tells Bill that she would “do anything for Eric” – I think Roman believes that she would do ANYTHING for him (not the authority, solely him) – I figure they have some scheme going that the other council members don’t know about… But I don’t know. I’m usually wrong when I try to predict things- but I still like to do it. πŸ˜‰

• Madeleine

June 19, 2012 at 1:20 am

I would say that’s it’s pretty certain that every council memeber has a hidden agenda. For example : why did Nora call Salome “darling”?
      Also, I suspect a member of the authority made Newlin, how else would the good old Reverend know that Bill’s no longer the King? And since Newlin say “humans should be farmed like cattle” it’s safe to assume his maker is a Sanguenista. How’s that for undemining the authority?

• TeaAna

June 19, 2012 at 9:47 am

Oh… that soooo makes sense… I was wondering why he had known that SO quickly… and I had a passing thought that Salome might be his maker, but didn’t put too much thought on it ’cause of limited info… OH, this is good. Hehe, I AM SO LOVIN’ THIS SEASON SO FAR.

June 19, 2012 at 8:53 am

Actually TeaAna, we were speculating the same thing in our podcast for this week. It certainly looked as if Salome and Roman have more going on than just business.

• TeaAna

June 19, 2012 at 9:52 am

Oh my gosh Liz, you have no idea how impatient I am for you guys to release that this week. I was going to wait for the podcast to come out, so I can gather what you guys say to what I think— but I got itchy. Wednesday… Oy, waiting sucks. πŸ˜‰

7. Goldie Jean

June 19, 2012 at 9:11 am

I’m fascinated by Salome if she’s supposed to be “the Salome.” I’m interested that people haven’t noticed the clear (to me) references to Morminism in the episode–the alternative testament, the physical nature of god, the alternative creation story. These all seem to be sacrilegious toward LDS rather than Christianity.