A Little About Lilith and the Vampire Creation Myth {SPOILERS}

In this week’s episode of True Blood, we met The Authority and heard the vampire creation story. According to their holy text, God created Lilith, a vampire, in His image. So who is this Lilith of vampire mythology?

According to Jewish mythology, Lilith was Adam’s first wife. Her legend is used to explain an apparent discrepancy in the two accounts of creation in Genesis which suggests that God first created Adam and Lilith, but Adam was unhappy with her, so God later created Eve to be his mate. This story was later merged with Sumerian myths about female vampires called “Lillu” and Mesopatomian myths about succubbae (female night demons). Sometime in the Middle Ages, Lilith’s legend emerged in Jewish mythology full of references to her as a demon who seduces men and produces demon babies. Very vampiresque, yes? Read more about the Lilith myth here.

Now here’s where the spoiler comes in – WARNING! SPOILER ALERT!

Roman paid homage to Lilith in the blood “communion” ritual he performed in this episode:

“The blood of Lilith. The first, the last, the Eternal. We are born of Lilith, who was created in God’s image. The first, the last, the Eternal. We swear fealty to the blood and to the Progenitor. The first, the last, the Eternal. Lord and Lilith, Father and Mother, protect as was we protect you. From this day until the hour of the true death. And in the Lord and Lilith’s name we say: Vampyr.”

A casting call for episode 5.07 was slipped in after the bigger call, looking to cast what seemed like a small role. Or not.

[LIL] Female, early to late 20s. She’s supermodel beautiful. Strong and ethereal. No lines in the first episode. Recurring. FULL FRONTAL NUDITY REQUIRED.

Looks like we’re going to meet the mother of all vampires in a few weeks. There’s some speculation that Brianna Brown, formerly of General Hospital along with Authority member Carolyn Hennesy, has been cast as Lil. She appears in the season 5 preview at about the 1:00 mark (see screencap) and will recur in several episodes according to her website. However, her first episode is 5.04, airing July 1. The “Lil” casting call could have been sneaked in for 5.07 but retroactive for 5.04. What do you think?

UPDATED: The promo Brianna was referring to was the second one, so the scene she’s in is actually the one where Jessica is snacking on a blond woman in the bathroom at Fangtasia. Thanks to everyone (!) who pointed out the mistake. I suppose that’s my quota for the season. 😉

1. Elisha_Q

June 21, 2012 at 8:36 am

Very interesting myth. Lilith is still present in the orthodox christian bibles. She is unwilling to obey Adam so he devorced her (although, they are not married ), I like her.

2. Abel

June 21, 2012 at 9:37 am

The whole lilith storyline is very fascinating!

3. Belloisme

June 21, 2012 at 10:27 am

I heard about the story of Lilith a few years ago and found it interesting then. It was said she wanted to be dominate over Adam and eventually was cast away and Eve took her place. It also mentioned that she would seduce men and take children . In some text her name is Lulith. They said parents would sing songs to protect their children and call those Lulith byes, which is where we get the term lullaby. This will be a good storyline and will be exciting to see where vampires came from!

4. Sookieeleana

June 21, 2012 at 11:08 am

I’m pretty sure that first picture is Pam in her coffin from episode 2.

June 21, 2012 at 11:15 am

No, it’s Brianna Brown; she Tweeted that it was her in the preview. In that shot she definitely resembles Kristin Bauer, but if you look closely you’ll see the differences in appearance.

• Brooke K.

June 23, 2012 at 8:37 pm

No WAY! Thats Pam after she wakes up from the flash back from first meeting Eric in Episode 5.02!!!

• MIH

June 23, 2012 at 10:28 pm

of course it is!!!! C’mon people…

• Melissa

July 1, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Mel or Liz…
        I def agree that that screencap is Pam, could she have been talking about another shot of herself?

• Melissa

July 1, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I went back and checked Pam wakes up at 28:29 of episode two season five…

• Elisha_Q

June 21, 2012 at 12:14 pm

This is totally Kristin. See how her upper lip is equal if not slightly bigger than her lower lip. May be Brianna was talking about another picture.

• esw45

June 21, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Yes its Pam, in episode 2 when she wakes up from flashing back to first meeting Eric.

5. cathain

June 21, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Maybe lilith is Salome

6. aqp45

June 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm

“her first episode is 5.04 airing July 1” if she first shows up on this episode, could she not then be “Lilianne” which is described in 5.04…

“This mysterious Judge takes Jason and Andy to an exclusive, secret club where they meet with Angela, Lilianne, Delilah, and Leda. Described as “impossibly gorgeous, flirtatious, charming women in cocktail dresses”,

she looks like someone who would be in (what i believe is) the “Fae” night-club. think she might be more convincing as a Fae female.

7. Rina

June 21, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I hope Lilith is still around, and we get to meet her and hopefully kick Roman’s ass for using her name to subjugate her children.

8. Terra

June 22, 2012 at 12:10 pm

As pointed out, it is Kristin. It’s not Brianna. Just google what Brianna looks like, you can clearly see it’s impossible for her to be confused with Kristin. Geez she doesn’t even have blue eyes.

June 22, 2012 at 12:25 pm

It’s not entirely impossible to confuse the two since there is a decided resemblance. Geez!

June 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm

You don’t have to google what Brianna looks like, I provided a photo of her right next to the screencap. While I agree that the screencap does look like Kristin, and very well might be her, Brianna Tweeted that she was shown, briefly, at that point in the preview. And you’ve heard about colored contacts, yes?

• PJ

June 22, 2012 at 3:31 pm

It’s Pam. Watch Authority Always Wins again.

• esw45

June 22, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Mel, it is cool….appreciate your efforts always

• Melissa

July 1, 2012 at 1:06 pm

If you go back to the episode Pam wakes up at 28:29, that is where the shot is from… not being pushy, just wondering why she would tweet that it was her!

• Melissa

July 1, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Mel,
        I feel a little like a stalker, lol. I looked at Brianna Browns twitter and she said she appeareatsabout twenty seconds from the end. If you watch the trailer she is the girl that Jessica is biting in Fangtasia’s bathroom. I wonder who will play Lillith?

July 1, 2012 at 1:40 pm

On my screen, 20 seconds from the end was the scene where Pam wakes up. Oh well!

• Melissa

July 1, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Yup that was in the second trailer! Dont sweat it! You both do so much for this site, unless someone is willing to do the research themselves they should just be quiet!

• Melissa

July 1, 2012 at 1:45 pm

We will just Blame HBO for putting out too many trailers, 🙂

9. Mexton

June 23, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Can anyone tell me why Pam doesn’t feel Eric through their bond?

• Robyn

June 24, 2012 at 12:31 pm

It doesn’t work that way the maker can sense where the child is not the other way around….this is why Eric didn’t kno where Godric was in season 2. The only way the child can sense the maker is if the maker calls upon the child like bill did with Jessica in season 3.

10. Mexton

June 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I’ll just stick with the Eric and Sookie fanfiction for now :((

11. Liz

June 24, 2012 at 10:52 am

You know what? Mel is going by what the actress herself tweeted a few days ago, and we’ll find out for sure when we first see her. Meanwhile, let’s stop with the shouting and condescending remarks. This is NOT IMDb!

• Melissa

July 1, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I agree we shouldn’t be arguing just for the sake of being right. I commented above that Brainna tweeted that she appears in the trailer at about twenty seconds to the end, which is the scene where Jessica is biting her in the bathroom.
      Who else could Lillith be?

12. Count Strahd Von Zarovich

June 25, 2012 at 7:27 am

Personally I think the entire notion of vampires coming first is a giant crock on the part of the vampires. It all just seems so convenient and sounds like a ton of revisionist history. How could vampires come first if vampires are made from humans? My personal theory is that vampires were actually made by humans. We’ve seen that necromancers have the power to control vampires. It could be that there was an ancient human nation in the past in which necromancy was widely practiced and vampires were created to be powerful servants, but something happened causing the necromancers to die out, which left the vampires free to do as they will. Lilith may very well be the first vampire, but created by God and before humans? Yeah, I doubt it.

June 25, 2012 at 9:31 am

You remember that this is fiction, right?

• Count Strahd Von Zarovich

June 26, 2012 at 6:10 am

Yes, and in the fictional world of the series, they’re spouting a line of BS. And you do realize this website is dedicated to talking about the events which go on in this series, right?

June 26, 2012 at 7:40 am

As co-owner of this site, yeah, I’m pretty sure I know what it’s purpose is. You seemed to be taking the writers’ decision to create their own fictional origin story for their fictional characters as based in reality – you wouldn’t believe the emails we get from people who think this show is a documentary – so wanted to remind you that we’re not watching real life here. Considering we’re watching a show about beings that don’t exist, what’s the big deal about some of those beings having an origin story that, by default, doesn’t actually exist?

• Elisha_Q

June 26, 2012 at 10:30 am

HA HA HA People think True Blood is a documentary Bwahahahaha
            Well, if I have to be honest for the first season ( i watched it a year later one episode after the other for two days ) I thought it was a parody – I laughed so hard when Sookie or Tara were screming.

13. RebeccaB.

June 25, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but that is Pam and not Lilith by any means. Unless Pam was Lilith’s reencarnation, or suddenly got plastic surgery, that is not Lilth. Kristin Bauer doesn’t look like Brianna Brown. I personally think Brianna’s far prettier than Kristin.

I as a Christian took great offense to this whole “vampire creation” ordeal, but in general I think the upcoming Lilith storyline will be interesting enough. The mother of the vampires—I want to see her kick Tara’s snotty little ass and put Sookie and Salome and Nora in their places. As well as Pam, I guess.

• RebeccaB.

June 25, 2012 at 4:18 pm

And Jessica! I forgot our new little college-party girl, eh? 🙂 Anyway, True Blood’s getting to be really lame, predictable, and all-out foolish since season 3. Fair enough, I’ve never read the books, so I’ve no idea what to expect, naturally. But Sookie is a faery? An oddly spelled word for “fairy”, that is? I liked the first 2 seasons, where it was just vampires. No wolves, no “were-panthers” (WTF are those real myth!?) or “faeries”. Just serial killers and maenads and telepaths.

June 25, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Since this is a fansite which actually does support the show it is dedicated to, you may be happier elsewhere.

14. rextrek

June 25, 2012 at 6:18 pm

WELL – I love the show – I only missed the 1st 2 episodes in the beginning….since seen them….. I’ve not been disappointed……its not perfect..but its adult, its sexy….I like the characters and storylines……..over-all I give it a 8+… 9- I look forward to sunday nites ..now where can I get a Bill or Eric to Bite my neck? ..I’ll take the Wolf too…..HOWLLLLLL!

15. Donna

June 26, 2012 at 12:35 am

Although I truly love the idea of actually have more than 4 vampire on the show, I have to say I am done trying to figure how how True Blood and the books have anything to do with each other more than some similarities of personality and names.
    I am also not thrilled with the authority, so far its really been boring.Introducing a new vampire God might save this storyline, because something needs to happen and I do mean soon.
    It would also be funny to add Pam in more of the role of a maker, which is obvious direction considering Erics speach of the importance of being a maker before he turned Pam in the flashbacks. The play between Tara and Pam could be great.

16. Elisha_Q

June 26, 2012 at 10:37 am

I personaly loved the idea of Lilith after I watched “Supernatural” – that was one really good Lilith.