True Blood Inside the Episode: “Whatever I Am, You Made Me”

So much happened in this week’s episode of True Blood, we need some extra insight, yes? Check out HBO’s Inside the Episode featurette for some behind the scenes scoop on “Whatever I Am, You Made Me.”

1. Madeleine

June 24, 2012 at 11:55 pm

OMG, what an episode, I’m looking forward to the recap 😉
    First of all Hooray for Sheriff Bellefleur, finally someone who gets it straight!
    Newlin, the new Nan! Hilarious! (almost as good as “there’s an app for that” or Hoyt with that catchy eyeliner, kind of suits him).
    I loved the flashback, I want to see more of those.
    What do you think, will Jason ever get a grip? We should give him credit for trying I suppose.
    At this piont I’m really eager to see how things work out for every character, nobody can catch a break, TB at it’s best!

June 25, 2012 at 10:00 am

“Smart move Tara, go on and burn yourself when all you need to do is finding a stake.”
      Yes, but at that moment, she was passing the salon and the tanning bed was the most convenient. She probably wasn’t really thinking about ending her life for good until she passed that salon.

• Madeleine

June 25, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Of course she wasn’t thinking, that’s exactly my point. Tara reacts emotionally without thinking, that’s not very smart. And this wasn’t the first time, there’s a clear pattern and she never learns, also not smart, not according to my book anyway.

June 25, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I’m sorry but I don’t think you are giving Tara a chance at all. It’s very clear to me that this season we are going to see an very different woman from what we’ve seen. She’s just been turned into a monster in her eyes, and she’s still healing and trying to keep herself in control, which is quite the accomplishment in a newborn vamp. Maybe you could relax your book a little?

• Madeleine

June 25, 2012 at 2:21 pm

How’s Tara different? She’s angry, like before, she’s self-loathing, like before, she tries to commit suicide, like before. Has he a reason to be angry? Yes, that doesn’t mean you have to stick to the same patterns, make the same mistakes. She might evolve, she might not, it’s to early to tell, but right now I can’t see anything smart about her. I’m sorry if that offends you, but I’m not obligated to like her or cut her more slack than every other person. Sam’s been through a rough patch as well, he’s dealing and still kind and helpful towards his friends. Andy’s recovering from an addiction and tries his best to make things right. Even Jason seems to finally get a clue and tries to better himself. The list goes on and on, they all have suffered, make mistakes but unlike Tara learn from them, or at least want to.

June 25, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I never said Tara is different now. You misread my comment and then accused me of being offended. I don’t care if you like Tara or not, I merely suggested that you wait and see what this season will make of her instead of closing your mind like you seem prone to doing. You want to pigeon-hole this character into being just like the others and because she’s not, you are intolerant. How dull and predictable would it be to just make everyone recover from trauma the same way. Instead they take this one character, put her through some trauma herself, and have her deal with it differently. It adds color and spice to the show, which is part of what makes True Blood so enjoyable. I was not on board with the writers making Tara a vampire at all, but I kept an open mind and trusted that I might be able to enjoy what they come up with and I’m glad I did.

2. tina

June 25, 2012 at 12:16 am

The show is going slow but I am really enjoying pam background info. Tara is going to be great, she can’t blame anybody for nothing anymore (new life,start fresh). Because who jumps in front of a shotgun (somebody who wants to die). Sookie is going to have to do alot of growing this season or risk being back where she started. Alcide??????

• Madeleine

June 25, 2012 at 12:55 am

“The show is going slow”
      With all that’s happening? Curious….
      I think Sookie is finally ready to grow, for the first time I see some backbone, the will to fight and not surrender to the circumstances, she’s less apologetic already and has no problems lying to Andy, that a girl.
      Lafayette is a whole different story, he can snap any second, that’s gonna get messy.
      I can totally relate to Alcide, he once was really in love with Debbie, okay, there was not much left at the end but you can’t just turn a switch. And I think it hurt him deeply that Sookie wasn’t honest with him, thought she couldn’t trust him.

• Artie

June 26, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I sort of agree that things are going slow. Yes a lot has happened, but the main plot line seems slightly slow. We have lots going on and lot of different stories, but the main plot hasn’t fully unfolded. We know Russell is coming and the Authority is now going to try to stop any human bloodshed, but we’re looking at 3 episodes just for them to find out and decide to let Eric and Bill fight him. There’s been little action for what seems to be the major conflict of the season.

Tara’s story has sped along nicely, as has Sookie’s developments with Alcide. Hoyt has gone from angry to just plain crazy-angry and Jason has gone from victim of being friends with benefits, to older woman sexual hunter, to stunted emotional victim of that same older woman. I feel the ancillary stories are certainly driving along nicely. But having to include the introduction of the Authority into the first several episodes, while they need to be a major component of the season has slowed it down some.

Either way, I’m loving things thus far. 🙂

3. Kurenai

June 25, 2012 at 2:24 am

“She can’t blame anybody for nothing anymore.”

All the people she has blamed, she has done so with plausible reason and using the word blame makes it seem like all her problems was something she has accused people of. Which is not something she did as True Blood has shown us the exact reasons why she is the way she is …proof of her shitty life and proof of her her getting raped, and proof that Bon Temps has left physical and mental scars on Tara . Also she can still “blame” people as a vampire …if Lala and Sookie would have just left her for dead she wouldn’t be the thing she hates most.

“Who jumps in front of a shot gun (someone who wants to die).”

Not necessarily, and in Tara’s case an instinctual need to protect her friend. Just like mothers have an instinctual need to protect their child.

4. Jasmine

June 25, 2012 at 8:28 am

I’m loving every minute of TB. I feel like this is season 1 all over and falling in love with this show again. Keep up the good work!

5. Mexton

June 25, 2012 at 9:07 am

All I can say is Salome :))

June 25, 2012 at 9:31 am

I am enjoying her so much more than I thought I would when reading about her character during hiatus. She may be my fav new character!

• Mexton

June 25, 2012 at 11:46 am

Mine too, I kind of see what Alan Ball had in store for the characters. Tara being a vampire now she can understand vampire’s point of views. I see Sookie becoming a woman in her own right, if she is going to end up with Eric she is going to have to get a lot tougher. I think this is going to be an okay season. I’m anxious to see how this Debbie Pelt story line unfold and play out 🙂

6. kes

June 25, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Here go witn this book bs people need to give it up. BOOKS AND T.V SHOWS ARE DIFFERENT GEESH

7. GeeGee

June 25, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I finally got a chance to watch last night’s episode without interruption! I do not know about anyone else, this is my favorite episode (of the season) so far. The best part for me was when Erik and Pam are talking in bed and he is telling her about the strong bond between a maker and their prodigy and the responsibility of the maker. I hope that Pam’s flashback will remind her of what Erik did for her, then that will encourage her to do the same for Tara.

Other parts of the episode really had my friends and I talking, for instance: how are Sook and Lala going to recover from being exposed as the ones who had Tara turned; Sam looking out for Tara; Terry, Arlene, and Patrick’s story (I feel sorry for Arlene, she just wants her husband to open and honest with her. I am also very interested to see where Terry’s story is going); Lastly, I liked when Tara saw how fast she healed and what her newly found heighten senses were, I really appreciated how they included that from a baby vamp’s perspective. Although the last time we saw Tara she was frying like bacon, I hope Pam rescues after remembering what Erik said before she was turned. I believe that Tara will eventually accept who and what she is. If so, she would make a great vamp. I am also enjoying Roman and Salome’s characters, I am so looking forward to the rest of the season and what is has in store for us.

8. Madeleine

June 25, 2012 at 10:44 pm

@Liz : I didn’t accuse you of anything, it simply was not my intention to offend you and I wanted to make that clear.

“You want to pigeon-hole this character into being just like the others and because she’s not, you are intolerant.”

Now that’s an accusation, why react so upset? I’m simply speaking my mind, shouldn’t that be tolerated too?

June 26, 2012 at 10:00 am

I stand by what I said.

• Jay

June 26, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I think that some of the trollish IMDB posters may come this way. Keep an eye out Liz and Mel.

9. SusBraska

June 27, 2012 at 11:37 am

I loved the episode. Pam’s flashback to 1905 San Fran and her initial involvement with Vamp Eric was interesting. She truly loves Eric. His comment about not leaving a baby to fend for itself, may turn on a light in Pam’s character, reminding her of the values Eric taught her to properly help Tara acclimate.

Poor Jason. The story line of being molested at a young age by his teacher was brilliant writing. This chance meeting with the teacher at the grocery store was shattering to his psyche. This now adult new encounter with her is a wake up call to Jason. He is realizing that his multiple women troubles, the promiscuity and poor decision to hurt Hoyt – is directly related to this under-age dalliance. Though he is entirely responsible.

Ex-teacher’s home. I liked how the cat entered the room/scene when Jason was leaving her feline-friendly pad. It was kind of sad for her.

Salome (Sal’-oh-may) is a seductive and intriguing character. 3 men in one night? Ugh. Take a shower.

Nora is cute. Don’t understand why she is a Sanguinista. For drama, certainly.

Tara is kinda going crazy right now. I look forward to the day she embraces her new vamp self. She will – in due time.

Newlin is hilarious. What a great plot. Great con man. Great drama, However, I wish King Bill would be the spokesperson for the Authority, eventually.

Poor La La. I think his well-being is directed related to Tara’s right now.

Sookie and Alcide? Please no. Such a bore. Sookie needs time off from men. I liked the hug Sookie had with Sam.

Love the books. Love ‘True Blood.’