Recap 5.8 True Blood “Somebody That I Used to Know”

Eric: “What are you doing?”
Bill: “Evolving.”

Am I finally seeing an actual theme for this season? Is it really just supes versus humans? Unfortunately, the vampires and werewolves are all committing crimes that make killing them seem like a pretty good idea. Okay, for that matter, some of the humans are, too.

Our cadre of hilariously stoned Authority vampires have lost all will to mainstream, and even though he showed reluctance to eat the captive, Bill appears to have gotten completely Lilithed, too. Unless that flashback to his dying daughter in 1910 Baton Rouge was supposed to hint that Bill wasn’t really on board? Eric appears to be the only vampire in Authority headquarters who isn’t ready to eat every human in New Orleans, and that was only because of his vision of Godric. It’s sort of sad that he wasn’t able to get through to Nora. Not that I care for Nora or anything.

And now they’re planning to destroy all the factories where True Blood is made, turning the world’s vampires back into killers. Come on, Eric. Stop Authority and save the world, babe.

Poor Sam. How come he’s always the one who gets his body stolen? Sam nursing himself was exceedingly weird and I don’t think the CGI worked all that well, but it did succeed in creeping me out. Dan was going, no, no, don’t kiss yourself, and then he did. And the spell was broken. Okay. (Sam Trammell doing Luna was a hoot. Ttwitching his hips under that hospital gown as he walked away was pretty funny.

Big plot developments in the werewolf department. Alcide and Rikki had hot werewolf sex with body tossing, but she turned against him when it came down to doing the right thing at the challenge. Russell’s influence on J.D. is turning that pack into killers. I knew that Alcide wouldn’t allow them to kill that teenage track star, but I was surprised that Martha looked upset about it and that she ultimately saved Alcide’s life. I’m definitely rethinking my first impression of Martha. Well, there were intestines.

The Sookie and Jason and fairies plot continued to confuse me, and I was disappointed that it actually *was* the band-aid. I wasn’t surprised that Sookie didn’t throw away her powers (and even wound up discovering she had more) and I was pleased that Jason was again such a good brother to her. I’ve always liked it when Sookie and Jason connect.

So Sookie has psychically bonded with the vampire who killed her parents? They were careful not to show us the vamp’s face, which makes me think it’s someone we already know. Except I don’t think we know anyone named Werlo. Or was it Warlo? Any theories? I’m drawing a blank.

Finally, I’m glad that Lafayette got out of that place, and that the spirit of Jesus was there to help him. That final scene in the car was sweet. And I so don’t blame Lafayette for charging Arlene for his services. Apparently, either Terry or Patrick has to die, and even though I’m not enjoying this Ifrit plot thingy, I sure don’t want to lose Terry.

Way too many plot bits, recapped:

— Flashback to 1910 Baton Rouge, with Bill visiting his dying daughter, Sarah. I thought that would be the catalyst for Bill refusing to kill that woman in the bed, but no. Are we going to find out what happened afterward to Sarah?

— The anti-supe haters did indeed capture Jessica for Hoyt as an initiation test or a present, and as I’d hoped, Hoyt wasn’t able to kill Jessica. And then he got picked up by a “friendly face.” I’m actually worried that something could happen to Hoyt, since there isn’t a lot more they can do with him as a character.

— Pam was again cool, making the racist Tracy into Tara’s slave. Pam is good to her progeny.

— Russell was flirting with Steve Newlin. What a bizarre but cute couple they would make.

Other bits and pieces:

— There is still blood in the shrine. I thought with that many vampires that they would have drunk it all. Unless it magically regenerates? Maybe I missed that.

— I think the producers wanted us to see a lot more of Joe Manganiello without pairing him with Sookie.

— Did we need to know that Mike Spencer wants to suck Sookie’s toes?

— And speaking of clothes, Pam apparently has a lot of hot outfits and we got another incredible outfit for Tara. Lafayette’s new look for his first gig as a medium was also spectacular. The two of them should go paint the town red in those outfits.

— Stephen Moyer directed this episode. He did just fine, didn’t he?

Quotes:

Bill: “We were in the presence of God.”
Eric: “We were high as fucking kites.”

Jason: “I’m fine. You got me in the head.”

Sookie: “I want to be normal.”
Jason: “The hell you do.”

Russell: “May I say God has the most beautiful tits I’ve ever seen.”
What exactly did he say about Moses?

Andy: “My taser’s gonna ask your nuts to the big dance.”

Jason: “I don’t give a twirly fuck about your elders.”
Elders? Fairies have elders? Did we know that?

Tracy: “You’re a vampire. That’s crazy. Now you’re a member of two minorities.”

Pam: “You don’t know me that well. My mad face and my happy face are the same.”

Enjoyable, fun. How many incredible black outfits out of four?

Billie Doux

(Billie Doux and her contributing writers review science fiction, fantasy and cult television shows at BillieDoux.com.)

I’m a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Elisha Rubinstein

July 30, 2012 at 9:45 am

As much as I love the show and always will, there is just too much going on. I miss the old True Blood. Too many characters, too many storylines. Maybe if there were less characters the plots would move at a quicker pace!

July 30, 2012 at 11:20 am

Elisha, the old True Blood had just as many characters and storylines going on as there is now. This show has been this way since the first season. It’s part of the appeal – there’s something for everyone in one show.

• Jay

July 30, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I have to agree with you Liz. The show does a fantastic job of weaving the multiple plot lines into one overarching one. It has been doing this for a number of seasons now. I happen to know some people who enjoy the show as it is now. Cutting out plots would drown the viewers with plots that may not work or are moving too slowly. As it is now things can remain fresh and mobile no matter what plot is currently being featured.

I for one would be very uninterested if this season was focused just on the Vampire Authority.

• Mandy B

July 30, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I have to agree with you, Elisha. I think there were always a lot of story lines / characters, but their story lines got a lot less air time than Sookie’s. Now, it seems like the air time is equally divided between each storyline, so we don’t get very far with the main plot in each eposide.

2. Dory

July 30, 2012 at 10:43 am

I chuckled all the way through the episode…very amusing. Laughed out loud at the tripping authority members, Steve and Russell flirting, Lafayette way over the top and Sam with Sam-Luna. Oh, and of course, there was that hot animal sex with Alcide……

3. Kim

July 30, 2012 at 12:23 pm

-Alcide’s scenes were HOT!
    -I don’t think Claude is being honest with Sook.
    -Stephen Moyer did an awesome job directing.
    -Loved Sam/Sam/Luna scenes- but Tommy Mickens died after he became Sam 🙁
    -I have to think that Bill is pretending, so that he can stay as a spy on the inside. Also, bombing the factories will result in less outright killing of humans right away and allow the humans time to react and think of a plan.
    -Very good catch about Claudine warning Sook about Bill. She could’ve been referring to vamps in general too. Could he have been instrumental in the parents’ deaths because someone wanted Sook raised by Gran instead?

• Mandy B

July 30, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I am seriously wondering if we’re going to find out that Bill has (secretly) been a part of the Sanguinista movement for some time now. And I am also seriously wondering if Bill is the vampire that killed Sookie’s parents. But would Allan Ball really make Bill be that evil? I don’t know how I would feel about that.

• Anna Mauldin

July 30, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Bill maybe the killer or could be that new guy who ends at fangtasia

July 30, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Tommy Mickens died from injuries from a werewolf beating he got. Remember, he also shifted into Maxine for a bit and nothing happened to him then. I don’t think skinwalking kills. Luna is also injured, so it may be that shifting into Sam further aggravated her wound.

4. SP

July 30, 2012 at 12:43 pm

The Dragon (Leader of hate group) is definitely Hoyts mother. Luna picked up the scent of a large woman, bad diet and hate. Thats my thought.
    Also, Bill def has something up his sleeve. NO WAY he is under the Sanguinista spell.
    No Clue who waldo warlo warlock is …No IDEA , However the Fae Claudine knew him which leads me to believe they are in a relationship of some kind…She def knew him and not in a “I just caught you killing this fae fam”
    I love Pam /Tara this season. I cant believe it but its one of my fav story lines/

• Mandy B

July 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm

OMG – SP – I think you are right. I completely forgot about Mrs. Fortenberry until you mentioned that.

• Laura

July 30, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I’m actually gonna go and guess that The scent that was picked up was the woman that ex-sheriff Dearborn is hooking up with while his wife is gone. He was just way too stand-offish to Andy when he came for help last week. I’m guessing he’s the one orchestrating these attacks, since he’s said before how sick he is of vampires before his retirement, wouldn’t be surprised if that hate extended to other supes.

• BillieDoux

July 30, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Laura, what a great theory! I was thinking it couldn’t be Maxine because it’s just too obvious and I don’t think she’s smart enough or mean enough. (I could be wrong.) Dearbourne and his honey feel exactly right.

• Lidia

July 30, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Laura, that was my theory too! I thought it was a bit out there, but now that you’ve suggested it too, it sounds more promising!

Just want to say how awesome it was to see Lafayette back to his best. Props to the writers, his dialogue this episode was fantastic.

5. Rebecca

July 30, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I should rewatch this episode because I came away feeling indifferent about it.

When Sookie mentioned the vampire’s name, Warlo?, did anyone else see Jason’s face? It was like he’d heard of the name before.

Sookie can’t hear vampire thoughts… Can a Fae become vampire? Just a thought since that would solve the can’t hear vamp thoughts connundrum.

Or, maybe it is Edgington who killed her parents. That would put her and Eric on the same team to kill him once and for all.

July 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Yes! I forgot to mention that in the podcast! Based on his reaction, I think Jason knows who it is, or at least has heard the name before.

• Elisha_Q

July 31, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I don’t think it would matter if a fae can become vampire because Sookie can’t hear fae, vampire and demon thoughts.

Warlo sounds like Waldo – Sophie Ann’s ex love interest (right before Hadley ) from the books, so may be there is a connection but it is pretty far fetched.

I won’t be surprised if Sookie’s parents were not her real parents at all actually, still seams weird for a vampire to smell the band aid on the back seat. Her grandfather was in the land Fae, so I was thinking that may be he was her real father because he also had these abilities.

And was that astral projection of a vampire, I mean doesn’t being dead kind of cancel that option.

6. adriana

July 30, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Did any one catch what the last words uttered by bill were in the very end when Eric asked hom what he was doing ! I rewinded it like 50 time !!

July 30, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Bill answered, “Evolving.”

7. Anna Mauldin

July 30, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Bill evolving idts but he probably skimming.

8. esw45

July 30, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Bill is descending into darkness more than likely …..the woman that Luna smelled is probably sweetie that Bud was with and the vampire that killed Sookies parents probably is a fae/vampire hybrid type and not a vampire we have seen before.

9. Ashley

July 30, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Maybe this warlo will be the villain of season 6! it seems like its a story line that may be too much to big to fit into these last few episodes. is it just me or are these story lines going a little slow?!

• Elisha_Q

July 31, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I would hate it if that’s the main story about Sookie for next year.

10. Vamp_luvah

July 30, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Whatever happened to Molly? And what is up with that baby eating freak vamp? I really hope Eric takes out whatsherface and Nora ASAP. Oh and the kid killer – ick. Russel is so fun but he’s so bad how can he coexist w Eric n possibly bill unless they are all on the same team. Logically killin all the humans is a bad idea bc uh then there’s no food. A lil draining and some glamouring and we could all be blissfully happy – not to mention there’s plenty of willing donors.

11. Eva

July 30, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I was happy to see Lala back to his old self I missed him, however does he still have the demon? Sam Trammell did a great job portraying Luna as he did with Tommy. I think Russell is going to shock all of the authority members by doing something very crazy. As for the Sookie story I still think is a fae since she can’t hear vamps and then the popping out to her maybe it’s just one of those nifty fae powers we don’t know about. As for Hoyt and who is the dragon and the ifrit I’m bored with those story lines and to top it off now they add more vamps to learn about for next week’s episode. The best thing about tonight was Tara and Pam (Tara: f…ing a). Oh and the Alcide and Rikki sex Joe Mangianello has a really nice derriere, though I’m still not sure about Rikki those wolves rub me the wrong way. Kill Nora please I’ve had it with her and the Lilith crap, I thought the Lilith story was going to be more interesting until I saw last week’s episode.
    Bill! Really? Listening to crazy Salome you know better than that. My poor Eric he looks lost and frightened last year when he didn’t know who he was at least he was getting some from Sookie. I really hope I start to see more of the old True Blood all these story lines are getting old.

12. Helen

July 31, 2012 at 4:32 am

Somebody needs to stake that crazy Salome! I’m hoping that that’s why Bill”s going along with it all. Maybe if he can get her to trust him, he’ll be able to finish her off easier. Although, I highly doubt it as it look like he really has lost his way. Must admit, the authority storyline is starting to bore me a little bit now but I’m remaining optimistic that we’ll see our favourite vamps back in Bon Temps before the end of the season.

Hats off to Sam Trammell for that great portrayal of “Sam/Luna”. He’s so good at mimicking other actors.

As for Warlow, I’m truly lost at his identity. Every time I think of a suspect I also think of a reason why it can’t be them! Alan Ball has done a brilliant job of keeping us all wondering! I hope it’s resolved by the end of the season rather than setting up a storyline for season 6!

13. Joy

July 31, 2012 at 11:18 am

I LOVED this episode! I had to rewind at least 3 times becuse I was laughing so hard I missed some of the dialog……

Jason: “I’m fine, you got me in the head”

Jason again: “I dont give a twirly f#$% about your elders”

… and Russell calling Salome “Sugar Lumps (or lump?)”. Hilarious!

• Elisha_Q

July 31, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Haha, this year Jason has some good lines. Reminds of the scene where Sookie tells him there are a lot of other creatures besides vampires and he asks about Santa. LOL

• Joy

August 1, 2012 at 9:24 am

I agree….The lines are great and his delivery is priceless.

14. Bon

August 5, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I am a huge fan of True Blood Books and show. I really like this season so far – especially that no one is fighting over Sookie as that was starting to get old.
    Lafayette and Jason are amazing this season – keep it up guys! I have to fuss over something and that is the Iraqi ghost lady. You think they could put a better effort at her speaking Arabic than that gibber jabber language? It is no way near an Iraqi dialect and half ass Arabic. Surely they could have taken a little time to cast an Arabic speaking person?? me me me me

15. Davis Cook

August 8, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I’m ready for Eric and Bill to go back to Bon Temps. To me, The Lilith storyline is beginning to weaken and I’m losing interest.

Jason, Andy and LaFayette are great this season. Funny! Emma as a puppy is adorable! Alcide is adorable, too.

I wish Bill and Sookie would reunite. (That is if he hasn’t “evolved” into something other than his original character) Will they ever reunite?

I love this show. Keep writing and filming!