Alan Ball Answers Questions About True Blood Seasons 5 and 6

Although Alan Ball is handing over the day-to-day running of True Blood to new showrunner Mark Hudis, he will still be somewhat involved when the series returns next summer. TVLine caught up with Alan to get some answers about season 5 and some clues about season 6.

TVLINE | So, is Bill God now?
I don’t want to say if he is or he isn’t. Who’s to say what Lilith really is? He is still Bill but he is something different.

TVLINE | So there is some of the old Bill in there?
It is Bill, but it is a transformed Bill. He is not a completely new person. It’s not like his memories or his experiences have been left out and he’s just a baby.

TVLINE | Can he revert back to the old Bill?
Well, that’s the question: Is he going to be evil? What does he want? What is he going to do? Will he be able to revert back to Bill? That’s for future seasons. The implication, certainly, is that he is more ferocious.

TVLINE | As you warned me back at Comic-Con, there was a lot of death in the episode — some more ambiguous than others. Did Luna die?
You’ll have to watch [next season]. We didn’t see her die.

(Read more about Pam/Tara, Hoyt, Eric as Hero, and more…)

1. Bethany

August 27, 2012 at 3:04 am

I think if they had kept Hoyt on the show, and run it closer to the books, letting him fall in love and get married, they would have had enough storyline for him. But at least he isn’t dead.

• Nokturhn

August 27, 2012 at 4:35 am

Well, Russel wasn’t dead either, and he returned. So maybe Hoyt will do the same ? 🙂

2. chrissy

August 27, 2012 at 9:33 am

I’m going to re-read book 6. Idk how they are going to do the whole pyramid hotel thing when everything is way off. I know it can’t be exactly like the books but,, they should base every season off of the book they are on. I REALLY hope Quinn comes into the show & Amelia. Book 6 was one of my favs!! Looking forward to next season. Oh… & not sure if I like the whole Bilith thing :/

• Ellen

August 27, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I thought that I read that they’re keeping Quinn out of the show.

3. Mal

August 27, 2012 at 1:16 pm

My understanding is that there were “credibility” concerns about keeping Russell around. Can you elaborate on this? I understand that it would seem forced and silly for him to “cheat death” (e.g., escape from a concrete tomb) twice, but why not just keep him around as a character without throwing in that sort of near-death tease? It’s not like he needs to be a mortal threat to the main cast — he wasn’t for most of this season.

August 27, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Are you asking us, the fansite owners? ‘Cuz that’s the first I’ve heard of a “credibility” issue in keeping Russell around. I do think, from a storytelling perspective, he couldn’t survive this season without some kind of illogical twist in the story. His arc was over.

4. StaceyJ

August 27, 2012 at 2:45 pm

My personal feelings on this is Russell was born and now he’s gone.. He went out with a bang thanks to badass Eric. People complain about Alan Ball’s writing the show and episode. But, I say this., the man is a genious and is smart.. The best show thier is.. I really truly think Warlow is somebody we have met before..

5. Janine

August 28, 2012 at 2:18 am

Why should the show base every season on the books though? Take Dexter for example, it’s carved it’s own story away from the books and in my opinion the tv show is a lot better. I enjoy getting to read Charlaine’s books and get a different story from the tv series.