Recap 5.12 True Blood “Save Yourself”

Pam: “Nice plan.”
Tara: “Sure beats yours.”

And I thought last week’s episode was a bloodbath.

Holy Billith! I honestly thought it was curtains for Bill. I was thinking, Wow! did they actually, really, truly, no take backsies just kill Bill? But then he arose from the puddle, and to be honest, I was a little disappointed. So he isn’t dead? He’s transformed? Is he the bad guy now? Is the old Bill even still in there? Hey, does that mean Eric gets a clear path to Sookie, now?

Eric staking Russell before the opening credits was a shocker. But you know, I think they’d gone as far with Russell as they could have. I wasn’t all that wild about Russell’s role, or non-role, in Authority this season; his comeback could have been better. But it was worth it see him and Steve Newlin as a couple.

And Eric finally got his revenge. It had to be Eric. It feels like Eric was on character vacation all season, and we just got him back. And he has a much bigger family now. By far, the coolest part of this season (surprise!) turned out to be the expansion of the Northman vampire family and Tara falling for Pam. That rescue kiss was just terrific. Who knew? And I loved the rescue, with Eric, Nora and Tara teaming up with Sookie and Jason.

This was a gruesome episode, and Sam exploding out of Rosalyn’s head was the gruesomest scene of all. But I have very much enjoyed Sam as a naked undercover good guy this season. It was a nice comeback after the character assassination he previously endured, and Luna and Emma had a lot to do with it. I like Luna, and I really don’t want her to be dead. And hey, she shifted on national television. Are the shifters out of the closet now? What about the werewolves?

The tiresome werewolf plot was finally resolved when Rikki’s victimization pushed Alcide into taking a stand and taking over the pack, with Martha and his father as backup. Did Martha turn out to be a freaking cool character, or what? Surprisingly, so did Jackson Herveaux. I just thought it took too long to get to this point.

The human stuff was a bit more confusing. Did Jason sustain brain damage? Why are the senior Stackhouses whispering anti-vampire rhetoric in Jason’s hallucinations? I just have no idea where they’re going with this. I’m also wondering where on earth they’re going with Morella giving wildly weird fairy birth in Merlotte’s. “My light broke”? She’s had 73 babies? I guess if you give birth in squads while having an orgasm, that might not be as bad as it sounds. How is Andy going to deal with four daughters? Will Holly stick around to help, or is that relationship over?

So wow. What an outrageous finale. Authority is gone, and Russell is dead. Shapeshifters may be out of the closet, Andy has fairy quadruplets, Alcide is packmaster, Eric is back, and Pam and Tara are an item. And Bill may be our villain next season. Didn’t see that coming.

Bits and pieces:

— “Life sucks” was a common theme in this episode. Nearly all of the characters said something along that line. Even Jason said it was good to expect the worst.

— Eric and Nora did a riff on “Godric always loved you best.” I’m glad Nora survived the season. I rather like her.

— So much for Salome. She was a believer until the end. “Lilith chose wisely.” Hey, Lilith didn’t choose at all; she just tried everyone available until Bill fell for it.

— Lafayette was seriously underutilized the second half of the season. But I did enjoy him, Arlene and Holly drinking alcoholic “candy” and dancing together.

— This episode was written by Alan Ball, who is stepping down as show runner. This was his swan song, then. He certainly went out with a bang.

Quotes:

Eric: (after staking Russell) “Well, that felt even better than I thought it would.”

Nora: “What is she?”
Eric: “She’s a waitress.”

Tara: “You sure this thing is light tight? It looks like Tupperware.”

Eric: “Sweetie, don’t be a fool.”
Jason: “If I want to be a fool, then I will be a fool. That is my God given right as an American.”
Did Eric actually call Jason “sweetie”? I ran that three times, and I think he did.

Pam: (re: religion) “I guess this proves we’re just as fucking retarded as they are.”

Jason: “Before what? Things spin out of control? That train has already sailed.”

Arlene: “Who knew watching an alien give birth would be so comforting?”

Holly: “It’s a girl. With no umbilical cord.”

(Pam and Tara kiss)
Sookie: “Oh, okay.”
Jessica: (gleefully) “I knew it!”

So it wasn’t perfect. I thought last season was much better. But season five was a lot of fun to watch, and things most certainly got shaken up. And I’m looking forward to next season. Waiting sucks!

Billie Doux

(Billie Doux and her contributing writers review science fiction, fantasy and cult television shows at BillieDoux.com.)

I’m a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Tigerlily_swirl

August 27, 2012 at 9:49 am

Great recap, I totally agree with you about Lala being underutilized. I hope we see more of the old Lala in season six. By the way, waiting does suck!

2. Denni

August 27, 2012 at 9:59 am

I’m still in shock..ugh! I want the old Bill back..not Billith!! Thought for sure Sookie would be able to save him 🙁

3. Nokturhn

August 27, 2012 at 10:55 am

That rescue kiss between Tara & Pam was awesome ! I can’t wait to see what happens next, but as everyone says WAITING SUCKS !

4. Obsessed with Bill

August 27, 2012 at 11:44 am

I hope the writers can find a way to make Lafayette help Bill find his way out and bring the old Bill back to us

• StaceyJ

August 27, 2012 at 2:37 pm

That’s a interesting concept.. Lala helping Bill. But, one thing I thing was what didn’t Sookie use her fairy light. I think that would’ve stopped him..

5. robyn

August 27, 2012 at 11:58 am

I was under the impression salome was saying Lillith chose right by meaning Lillith chose her. Anyone have any thoughts on this??

• Valarie

August 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm

No, Bill said that he had come to the conclusion that she came to them all so they would compete and the cream could rise.

He said, “it was always a competition”

• Ellen

August 27, 2012 at 5:49 pm

No, I think what she meant was that Lilith made the right choice with Bill. Bill was scary smart in his plan to take her down. Salome was a true believer to the end, at peace with her death because Bill had proved he was her better, and therefor worthy of Lilith.

• jayjay

August 27, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I agree with you, Ellen.

• Alley

August 28, 2012 at 11:22 pm

But what Bill failed to understand is that his speech applied to him as much as it applied to Salome. He drank Lilith’s blood and that had something far worse than silver in it. Now, everyone will have to suffer the consequences.

6. Gail

August 27, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I suspect that the first night Jason went to the Fairy club that someone there implanted the recurring dreams/hallucinations of his parents in his mind, and that they were murdered by a vampire. I still think this Warlow individual did it not a vamp.

It was shocking to see Bill transformed into a Lillith form. I really hate this and hope he can somehow return to his former physical form, but CAN he? is he truly lost???

Even though he was a vicious psychotic individual I think I would have preferred Russell to have simply disappeared so the writers could bring him back in the future for more mayhem. He was a very interesting character being three thousand years old and having experienced so much of history. on the other hand I was glad that Eric finally had the chance to avenge his family and have a bit of closure.
    Can’t wait till next season!

• Jamie

August 27, 2012 at 2:14 pm

That’s a really great idea about the fairies implanting thoughts of his parents in Jason’s mind. I was so riled up about the season finale last night that I assumed Jason’s visions of his parents were the result of a head injury. Remember that Sookie sad he had a knot on his head he size of a walnut. But as you pointed out, Jason has seen his parents earlier this season.

7. StaceyJ

August 27, 2012 at 2:36 pm

The ending is what got me! I was like OMG! That just not happen. That was just plain whacked..
    And they said the finale would be the most bloody of all. OMG! The Pam and Tara kiss was just awesome and the thing with Mariella and her four babies and Andy. That was so funny.. I couldn’t stop laughing when she just got up and walked out..
    But, when Sam killed Roselyn in that blood bath I was like OMG what a scene to shot. But, what Jason told Jess that was sad.. Cause she does truly love him.. Now the opening with ERic and Russell, that I was cheering. GO ERIC!!
    Alan Ball you went out with a blood bath and a huge bang..

8. Sookieeleana

August 27, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I thought it was an excellent episodes. One of my all time favorites. Right now I don’t think I could love Eric Northman any more 🙂

The ending with Bilith was just mind-bending. I can’t wait for next season!
    Thank you Alan Ball. You really went out with a classic!

9. Mia

August 27, 2012 at 3:54 pm

When Eric popped his head down “-stop the car” was incredible funny!

And I hope, come next season, that we get to see more action for Sookie.

• Tigerlily_swirl

August 27, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I loved when he said “Pleeeeease” to Jason (after telling him to pull over), that was hilarious!!

• Rhonda

August 28, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Lol!!! He looked sooo funny upside-down!!!! Also, did you notice that Jackson (Alcide’s Dad) has one brown/black eye and one blue eye???

August 29, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I thought that I imagined that!

• Rhonda

August 30, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Nope, Mel. You didn’t imagine it! I checked it 3 times!

10. Ellen

August 27, 2012 at 5:54 pm

“Hey, does that mean Eric gets a clear path to Sookie, now?”
    Maybe but I really doubt that they’re just going to jump in the sack next season. Both Sookie and Eric have much bigger concerns than their feelings towards one another. Plus, Sookie has to deal with her feelings for Bill and Alcide before anything real happens with Eric. It would be a huge step back for both their characters to cast all of that aside and start making out.

11. Cindy

August 27, 2012 at 7:21 pm

This episode had me more involved than any other this season. I was actually screaming and clapping when Eric killed Russell. I was sad to see the end of Russell, as he was so entertaining, but I was overjoyed that Eric was the one to do it. I was yelling again when Sam exploded out of Rosalyn, then was really shocked at the end. I truly thought they had killed Bill. I was hitting my husband and gasping. It was a fun time, and I am so glad the season ended this way, as I had trouble getting into this season. It seems like Lafayette and Eric were their old selves for only this last episode, but I so enjoyed them for those moments.

12. SunnyV1213

August 27, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Season 4 still my favorite., but I really like the Eric & Sookie combo. I really look forward to the Pam/Tara storyline.. pam seemed lost without the maker tie to Eric (can he take it back?) I hope the writers build on that…they will make a great “power couple.” Sam/Luna…loved it. Lafayette is a gem…hope to see more of him next season..Alcide taking over as packmaster with Martha and his dad as backup was a great scene. Wouldn’t Jackson & Martha a great couple? Us “old” folks might enjoy an older “Supe” couple, (hint hint writers.). Gonna miss Russell and Steve, but happy to see Eric and Sookie together. Hope they stay that way.

I’m hoping the writers don’t take the easy way out by saying the blood was full of silver, but he recovered because the blood old & powerful, so he “”healed” and is good old southern gentleman Bill again….but wouldn’t mind if he came back almost normal..

My last thought/comment is that Jason & Andy brought much of the humor to the series with their cluelessness.. I hope that continues with Andy”s new babes & how that’s handled. And please, someone (Jesss I mean you) fix Jason’s brain damage & hatred of vamps? A little blood & glamoring can work wonders. Andy & Jason were wonderful as the accidently good cops.

Is it true that Season 6 will be the last? Pity if that’s true.

• Nokturhn

August 28, 2012 at 2:06 am

Season 6 will be the last one ? Where did you hear that ?

August 28, 2012 at 3:13 pm

HBO has not said that season 6 will be the last. In fact, Programming president Michael Lombardo indicated at the recent TCA’s that as long as there’s still stories to tell and life in the show, True Blood and Game of Thrones will go on. Read that here: http://true-blood.net/2012/08/02/hbo-boss-says-true-blood-will-keep-going-for-foreseeable-future/

• Nokturhn

August 29, 2012 at 2:40 am

Ah, good ! I was scared a little 🙂 Can you imagine a summer without True Blood ?

13. Toni

August 27, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I hope this doesn’t comeback to bite Eric in the butt and Sookie doesn’t blame him for Bill being weak…..

• Ellen

August 28, 2012 at 9:23 am

Why would Sookie do that? I think that she has positive feelings about Eric’s attempts to bring Bill back to himself. And how was Bill weak, because of the crazy?

• Alley

August 28, 2012 at 11:15 pm

I think Bill was incredibly weak for falling for that Lilith nonsense. If the others were able to break free from it, then why wasn’t he? Because Bill just wanted to believe in something that would justify his weakness and make him feel superior about it.

• Madeleine

August 29, 2012 at 7:08 am

“If the others were able to break free from it, then why wasn’t he?”

THE others? As far as I recall it only Eric was able to break free, and he helped Nora to break free. That was only possible because they both are much older than Bill and have a far deeper emotional connection with each other and their maker.
          Russell never broke free because he never bought it in the first place and had his ulterior motives from the start. He was high for a while but it wore off quickly, might have to do with his motivation and age.
          Bill was torn the whole time, of course he was easier to influence and wanted to believe, that doesn’t make him weak, that only shows how human he still was, wich is ironic considering that he always mourned his lost humanity.

August 29, 2012 at 9:14 am

Adding to what Madeleine said, Bill chose his path, that doesn’t make him weak. However, let’s take a look at this “weakness” for a moment. In light of how the season ended, I’m thinking that Bill is not going to be “weak” anymore. Just like everyone was tired of Tara in previous seasons, now they’ve all changed their tune with vampire Tara. Suddenly everyone loves her. I’m thinking that season 6 Bill will be anything but “weak”. I wonder how people will react to him then.

August 29, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Or Bill wanted to believe in something bigger than himself, that he had something more to live for than becoming like the vampires all around him. He’s always sought something more. Unfortunately, like in real life, that makes him susceptible to the siren song of power.

14. Lynne

August 28, 2012 at 9:23 am

I love the chemistry between Eric and Sookie. I am hoping next season they will introduce the Blood Bond like in the book. This may be the only thing that saves her from Warlow.

I hope they wrap the Billith subplot quickly in season 6 and concentrate on one villian Warlow.

• Eva

August 31, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Oh I agree lets hope the writers listen to great ideas like yours, cause that will make Eric and Sookie fans like me happy.

15. Dee

August 28, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I wonder if we’ll have an Eric/Nora/Sookie triangle… I wasn’t thrilled about Nora at first but I loved her and Eric squabbling while disarming the security system.

I also have to say that Rosalyn’s death was indeed the best vamp death ever!

And what does everyone think Warlow is? I have my doubts that he’s a vampire. Could he be a demon?

16. Sec

August 28, 2012 at 9:42 pm

While I get why people don’t like Jason’s behavior its not out of his personality. He has never been that open minded or accepting of vampires and that goes back to season 1. The this short time with Jessica was the most he has been “tolerant” of them. Also this has been building up ever since he found out about what happen with his parents. I mean he shot Jessica earlier this season last episode when Jessica said she would spend eternity with him the look on his said that he wanted anything but. The bump on his head probably sped things up but he was headed towards this already.

August 29, 2012 at 9:16 am

I agree with you Sec. It doesn’t help that he’s got these two beings posing as his parents, telling him to go on a vampire killing spree. Like Bill, they are telling him things that he wants to hear and it’s fueling his actions.

17. Eva

August 31, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Finally! this season finale did not disappoint me, I knew Eric will save the day well at least with Russell. I was hoping they didn’t kill Salome I actually liked her character even though she was bat sh!* crazy but I did like the way she died. Bill grew some balls! Who knew lol. So Nora knows Warlow this is going to be interesting to see next season. I am confused is Bill dead? I mean is there a way he will go back to being normal Bill? Perhaps next season we’ll find out it was him thinking about it though I highly doubt that. Poor Jason aside from always playing dumb now he’s acting crazy. If I could give birth like Maurella I would have another baby. Well Truebies til next season let’s hope season outdoes every other season ever made.

18. Cindy

September 1, 2012 at 12:52 am

I truly hope that Billith does not go around for most of next season naked and blood covered, hissing at everyone. I hope he finds a shower …..I did like his fangs though.

• BillieDoux

September 1, 2012 at 9:26 am

“I hope he finds a shower.” LOL, Cindy. 🙂 Me, too.

19. Cindy Smith

September 3, 2012 at 2:40 pm

A thought: The Elder Fairy was trying to banish Russell to a different dimension….could Warlow be in another dimension? Maybe he was banished and is trying to get back to come after Sookie. Could explain why he never came for her after he killed her parents.

September 4, 2012 at 8:55 am

That’s a good theory, Cindy! It makes sense too. It may also explain why he semi-appeared to Sookie in her bathroom. I still have a problem with him being a vampire though. I just don’t think that Claudette (or Claudine, or whoever it was) would have spoken to him so patiently and without any fear. She also didn’t try to fairy-power blast him when she say him in the Stackhouse’s car. Although, if the vamps and fae had a pact at the time, it would explain that.

• Cindy Smith

September 4, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I do wonder what he is….he had fangs when he appeared in Sookie’s bathroom, and he used the phrase “you are mine” which is a vampire thing. They are leading us to believe he is a vampire, but you never know. And since the pact dates from the early 1700s, maybe he and the fae did have some kind of understanding or treaty. But he must have done something to be banished….maybe killing her parents got him banished. He looked and acted like he was in the same dimension as Sookie’s parents when he killed them. It’s fun trying to figure it all out from the clues they give us.