“Dead Ever After” Cover Revealed

Charlaine Harris posted on her Facebook page that USA Today revealed the cover of the Sookie Stackhouse finale, Dead Ever After. Take a look:

So, it looks like the shifters and vampires are represented, and is that a tiger’s tail I see sticking out from behind that flower? Sookie looks like she’s walking away but looking over her shoulder at her life that was. It’s kind of funny because the artist depicts Sookie, walking off into the sunset. Now, this could mean many things, sweet readers. I’d be very interested to know what you can glean from this cover.

Dead Ever After hits bookshelves May, 2013, but you can pre-order your copy by clicking this link.

1. Mel

October 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm

First: I like her boots.

Second: I see Quinn, Alcide, Sam, and Eric (and Bill and Pam?) represented here. It does appear that she’s leaving all of that behind as she walks into the sunset. But exactly what is “all of that”? Is she leaving Bon Temps?

Third: What’s with the tomatoes mixed in with the flowers? Is she moving to Italy?!?

• Nothinbutjoy

October 18, 2012 at 1:21 pm

All Southern Women grow tomatoes. ;-)

• Gracie

October 21, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I think she’s going to end up with Sam, I don’t know! :(

2. Rebecca S

October 18, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Ahhh I can’t handle this level of suspense for another seven months!!! They are all on there- it gives nothing away! She can’t leave it all behind….can she? That would kind of disregard all previous books!!!

3. Nothinbutjoy

October 18, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Is she walking off? Is that Sunrise or sunset? I agree with Rebecca S. It does look like everyone everyone is represented, with the possible exception of the Fae, but that makes sense. I also agree that it is going to be so hard to wait for May!

The flowers are beautiful and the tomatoes are ripe, is it late summer? Regardless of when, it would appear that life around Sookie is blossoming.

October 18, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Oh well put! That leads me to believe that Sookie will have a happy ending.

October 18, 2012 at 2:04 pm

It’s most likely set in September since Book 12 ended in late August, so her garden is probably bursting with good things. If you look up what each of those plants means, in folklore, tomatoes are symbols of “domestic bliss”, roses of course are symbols of “love”, and asters (the purple flowers) are symbols of “patience” and are a talisman of love. So basically Sookie gets to walk off into the sunset, happy and loved. We just don’t know with whom!

4. Sookieeleana

October 18, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I think it’s beautiful.
    Sookie walking off into the sunset is like she is saying goodbye to all of her readers :(

5. Kim

October 18, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Sunset I believe. If it was sunrise, I think they would have put some rays coming out of the sun. It’s not 3D, but it looks like the bats are ahead of her and the rest is behind her. Her facial expression is neutral.

6. Gail

October 18, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I so hate to see the series end. It breaks my heart. :-(. I have enjoyed these books so much.
    I hope Charlaine will consider a continuation of the series or another one like it. It really was marvelous!

7. Sarah

October 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Oh my lord, that’s intense and beautiful.. Possibly the most symbolic cover of the series ?

8. Debi

October 18, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Mel, I love the boots too! Last book cover she was barefoot, but she looks a little sassy here. I remember a dress Anna P. wore on TB that was red bandana fabric. It’s just so Sookie for me.

The lush garden makes me wonder if the blood/fairy dust soaked land is fertile like Niall said. Prize tomatoes are southern gardeners dream…

I am thinking maybe Sookie is making a choice … facing a new horizon but looking back to her life in Bon Temps.

Will we get any part of a chapter for Xmas this year…maybe synopsis…anything? I need more.

9. Elisha_Q

October 19, 2012 at 5:37 am

To me it looks like the bats ( vamps ) are leaving because it is sunrise, everything else looks too dark for it to be sunset. And that is it, I can only say that I like this cover best and that we’re going to see everyone one last time. I hope for some short stories from time to time though. :)

10. Margaux

October 19, 2012 at 11:33 am

Sookie is wearing red. RED. With her back to her other suitors. To me, the cover gives away a lot, and I’m liking what I’m seeing.

• Rebecca S

October 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I’m with you, but I think that may be us seeing what we want to see : )
      It will be really sad to see the end of Sookie, but I think it is time, I want her to have a happy ever after, and of course I have a beau in mind for her coughEriccough but Charlaine has always said that she won’t end up with a vampire:(

• Sheldon

October 19, 2012 at 11:24 pm

No, CH has never said that.

• Rebecca S

October 20, 2012 at 8:42 am

Ahha, sorry I amend that I was thinking of this from her FAQ page

“Q. Will Sookie ever become a vampire/ get pregnant by a vampire/be overjoyed when one of her vampire lovers turns human?

A. No. And it’s not possible for a vampire to impregnate a human in my world.”

• Valarie

October 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Yes, she has said it, over and over, that Sookie would NOT be a vamp. I saw her in person and she said it at great lenght.

• Sheldon

October 20, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I was responding to this:
            “but Charlaine has always said that she won’t end up with a vampire:(”

Nothing about being turned into a vampire. “End up with” is not the same as “turned into” a vamp.

• Tikkibelle

October 26, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Even the last book cover is ambiguous, but I think it’s sunset and I think those red boots are red for a reason :-D

11. Esw45

October 19, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Yes the cover of dead ever after is lovely but I see possible clues like the biggest bat (Eric) is heading towards Sookie where the other 2 bats (Pam and Bill) are not heading towards her and she is wearing red and looks like some cowboy boots maybe for like Oklahoma…..to see what is happening with this Freyda and Eric problem? Another 6 months to go and answer these questions.

12. Rebecca

October 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I’m seeing this as she’s walking towards the sun, as in sunrise. The shadows are cast in such a way that it makes me thing the sun is rising. It’s like she’s walking away from the darkness and into a brighter future. Stepping into the next stage of her life.

Like everyone else I’m curious to read the book and see what things mean. It might be the flat perspective of the book cover, but it seems like she’s walking away from Sam, Quinn, and Alcide and towards the bats. Or maybe she’s walking away from all of them.

Oh well, I do appreciate you showing this. I like the cover better than many of the others.

13. Gracie

October 19, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I hope Sookie is heading towards the sunset cause its going to be her last and is becoming a vampire! I hope Charlaine has changed the ending to that, and Sookie will be Bill’s progeny.

October 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Charlaine has stated many, many times in many and various interviews, including ones with us, that she will not be turning Sookie into a vampire. It’s simply not going to happen.

• Gail

October 19, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I think Sookie would choose a full, long life as a mortal, with a good human man, children and grandchildren to love and watch grow. I believe this is what her heart truly desires and is her destiny. Just my opinion. :-)

14. Gracie

October 19, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Oh no, second look I can see the bats flying away from her! :( I hope there are some spoilers soon.

15. Rina

October 19, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I don’t believe that the purple flower is an Aster. It looks more like Osteospermum–an African daisy. Daisies are symbols of purity. I think the purple daisy represents Alcide, the packmaster (king of the pack), and his platonic (pure) relationship with Sookie. The rose represents the romantic love and passion that Quinn and Sookie once shared, and the tomatoes represent the domestic bliss that Sookie could have with Sam as Mel said. It looks like Sookie is walking away from them all. The largest bat, presumably Eric, may be either watching Sookie or waiting for her–his body doesn’t seem entirely in a full flight configuration–and the other two bats (Bill and Pam) are flying away. Sookie is walking into the sunset or the sunrise. I think that’s purposely left open to interpretation. It’s a lovely cover. I can’t wait to read the book. Thanks so much for posting.