True Blood Post-Mortem: “I can tease that dead doesn’t always mean gone”

EW has a post-mortem interview with the first major casualty of True Blood‘s final season, confirming that although the death occurred off camera, it was, indeed, a true death.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Did you know Tara would be killed off when you filmed the season 6 finale?
Rutina Wesley: I found out over the hiatus about the end of my journey on the show. [Laughs]

What was your reaction?
I think it’s great. I think somebody had to go. To have a main character right off the bat go, that’s gonna bring everybody into the show. It’s like, “Okay, and the show has started.” It’s kind of like the catalyst for everything else that’s gonna probably happen—I don’t know what’s gonna happen, because I didn’t read anything else because I want to be surprised. I think it’s kinda cool that the last time you see me, it looks like I’m gonna win the fight, and then you cut to Lettie Mae. Me and that vampire went at it, and unfortunately, he wins. [Laughs] They’ve given me such an incredible journey on this show that I’ve never had any complaints about what they’ve written for me. So when I found out, I was just like, “Okay, great. Let’s get it started. This is the final season. We can’t all make it to the end.” You wouldn’t have a show. There wouldn’t be any drama. It wouldn’t be True Blood if somebody didn’t die.

After drinking Willa’s blood to heal, Lettie Mae is high and says that she can see Tara. Does that leave the door open for the audience to see Tara again?
She’s dead. But I can tease that dead doesn’t always mean gone on True Blood.

(Keep reading at EW.com…)

1. Stephanieb

June 22, 2014 at 11:30 pm

This is good news. I’m glad I’ll get to see more of Tara. As long as I can still see Lafayette I’ll continue watching.

2. Rina

June 23, 2014 at 12:24 am

Fans are really freaking out that Tara’s death was off-screen. I’ve been thinking about it, and it’s a brilliant move on the writers’ part because the viewers actually get to experience the same emotions that the characters do about Tara’s death. Sookie and the gang don’t get to witness Tara’s death either. They don’t get any closure, don’t get to judge if Tara died with dignity, if her death was meaningful or even preventable. Tara’s just gone, and there is this emptiness that the characters don’t know how to fill, and they are all angry and upset, and the viewers get to share this experience. The viewers get to FEEL the impact of Tara’s death instead of discussing special effects and making gifs on Tumblr.

Personally, I’m glad that my last memory of Tara is not of her turning into goo. I want to remember Tara doing what she does best–fighting to protect someone she loves.

June 23, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Excellent commentary, Rina. We read it in this week’s podcast because you said what we were going to say, but more eloquently.

• andrea

June 24, 2014 at 3:37 pm

If Tara ever goes down be sure it will be with a hell of a fight … on screen ! She is a survivor ….

3. Ryan Hall

June 23, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Just a theory, but could Tara’s mother could have played a part in her true death?? Seemed like she was in total control of her fight with the infected vamp… I personally loved the premiere but am already reading bad reviews, but there will always be haters… long time reader of tbe site.. first time commenting… thanks for running a great site!

• ChihuahuaMimi

June 23, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I think if the show wasn’t ending, the possibility of Lattie Mae playing a part in Tara’s death might be possible. However, I don’t think the writers have time to let that play out. As a True Blood fan from day one, I know it is difficult to watch these last episodes because that’s it……NO MORE

• Ryan Hall

June 23, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Did anyone notice that Jessica’s bf James, now has his fangs back…. just a observation lol

• andrea

June 24, 2014 at 2:42 am

Well, he’s not the original James either …. gone on the set of Fifty Shades as Christian Grey’s brother ! At this stage who cares about the fangs anymore right ? But for your information, during Bill’s trial in season 3 they said that fangs took 6 months to grow back. So it’s still coherent, since we had this time gap end of season 6.

• Ryan Hall

June 24, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Totally forgot about the 6 month grow back thing lol good call

June 24, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Hi Ryan, and welcome! We’re happy that you joined us for the show’s final season.

I’ve seen as many good reviews as not so good. It’s sad that people will make a judgment based on one episode (which was stronger than last season’s premiere, by the way). Mel and I thought it was a pretty strong one, with key characters showing some pretty fine stuff. And the actors were shining in those roles, particularly Anna/Sookie, Deborah Ann Woll/Jessica, Chris Bauer/Andy and Ryan Kwanten/Jason. Great performances! I’m looking forward to seeing all of them have their moments in the rest of the season.

Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts as the season unfolds!

4. andrea

June 24, 2014 at 2:36 am

Hi Tara fans ! I love TB, I love Rutina and let me tell you : No way they let Tara die off screen (no witness in the audience, just her crazy mother saying she’s dead) her being on top of the infected V vamp in her last cap of fight (and we all know she is a hell of a fighter) and above all, her maker Pam not feeling her gone despite the distance …Dear fans, we are on TB not GOT. They don’t let people go easily, remember Terry’s funeral was half an episode…So my best guess ? Tara is dead, sure she’s a vampire, but not gone …we’ll see more of her soon.
    Anybody out there agreeing with my theory ??

• Ericka

June 24, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Yep totally agree – I don’t think she’s dead (true death) gone…not sure what happened but I don’t think Tara lost that fight..if she had why would the other infected Vamp leave Lettie Mae alive?

June 24, 2014 at 1:11 pm

The vamp left without killing Lettie Mae because someone whistled and all of the Hep-V vamps withdrew.

• Ryan Hall

June 24, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Totally agree with your theory Andrea, something just felt totally off about that whole situation

5. Ericka

June 24, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I was heartbroken over Tara’s death..but the more I think about it, it just doesn’t makes sense…the brief scene we saw, was of her fighting an infected Vamp – now if she truly lost the fight wouldn’t he then just turn and kill Lettie Mae..especially if her daughter wasn’t there to protect her? Why was she spared and why would the infected just leave her? Maybe Tara is alive and glammored her Mom to think she’s dead?