Post-Mortem: [SPOILER] Predicted Death

SPOILER ALERT! If you have not yet watched episode 3, “Fire in the Hole”, you may wish to stop reading now if you do not want to be spoiled.

HBO interviewed Joe Manganiello as his character, Alcide Herveaux, exited the series after being fatally shot by vigilantes hunting down anyone “different” than themselves. Here’s an excerpt:

When did you find that Alcide would be killed off?

I called it pretty early on. As soon as Sookie and Alcide got together, I remember turning to a friend and saying, “I’m dead.” You can’t go anywhere from that; she needs to settle up with Bill and Eric. You can’t have her break Alcide’s heart, because then the audience is going to be angry with her for breaking the nice guy’s heart. I told my friend, “I bet you everything I own that I’m dead.” The other side of it is, if you look at all the other characters, Alcide no longer has anything to do with the story. If you talk about characters that you could kill and make an impact with, I was probably No. 1 on that list. Why would you keep me around? All Alcide ever did was get in the way. I had dinner with [showrunner] Brian Buckner and he cited all the same reasons I just told you.

Even though you knew that once you got the girl you were dead, what was it like for that to finally come together? After all, Alcide’s been pining after Sookie for seasons…

It was good, but at the same time, it made no sense. She’s got these two psychotic ex-boyfriends who have either tried to kill her or have been involved in some plot to kill her. And there’s these roving packs of infected vampires, and it’s still like, “Let’s keep on living here. Let’s stay in this town.” What? [Laughs.] Alcide’s a contractor. They make pretty good money. Shouldn’t he be like, “Let’s take that money and move to Bermuda. Let’s not see Bill every day at the diner. Let’s leave!” [Laughs.]

(read on for Joe’s spin-off idea, his favorite season, what he stole from the set, and more…)

1. Nikki

July 7, 2014 at 7:52 am

Ok am I the only TB fan that thinks Buckner has completely RUINED the final season?!! I understand that characters must die, even beloved characters, I get it BUT the deaths he has delivered to some of the more forefront characters has been TERRIBLE! Alcide getting shot in the blink of an eye?! C’MON!! he deserved a better death, and lets not even get started on Tara, I’m not a huge Tara fan HOWEVER… I think the viewers should have at least been able to see her death.. SMH
    #TerribleSeason

July 7, 2014 at 9:05 am

What would have been a “better” death? Something painful and prolonged? The indignity of being vampire fodder? Do tell.

• Dee H

July 8, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Nope Nikki – I’m done. I’ll read the synopsys (sp.) for the rest of the season but I’m done. They made Sookie a “bad guy” in my eyes and that shouldn’t have happened either…I thought she was smarter than “Go take a shower so I can run off with Bill and you won’t go crazy looking for me or anything…”

2. Mischa

July 7, 2014 at 11:14 am

I have to agree with Nikki about the final season, but I’m glad Alcide didn’t have a painful death though, if he was ever going to die in the show, I didn’t want him to suffer.

I do however, think, as a huge fan since the beginning, religiously watching and loving True Blood, think they’ve let themselves down with this season (so far). I do hope, their is reasons for what they’ve done in the show at the moment, and in the next 7 episodes will be revealed to us. However, I can’t say True Blood is the same show this year, their is only a few characters holding this show together in terms of story, depth, and excitement.

3. Angela

July 7, 2014 at 3:42 pm

poor alcede, he had no story line nor purpose in this season (besides showing his abs).But he has a point though, its the only way alcede shippers will accept a sookie and bill HEA (VERRRRRY PREDICTABLE!).

July 7, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Which is exactly why Liz and I don’t think Bill and Sookie will be together in the end – too predictable. HBO has gone full-tilt on the Bill/Sookie stuff this season; that’s a huge clue that it’s not going to happen.

• esw45

July 9, 2014 at 1:47 am

Mel, that has become my feeling as well that it is too obvious that Bill and Sookie are end game. HBO and Buckner are implying that way too much and a vast majority of the public believes that they will be together at the end of the season because of this….I don’t know who she will be with if anyone at the end of the season or by herself but it’s gonna be a shocker at the end

4. Em

July 8, 2014 at 9:51 am

What happened to True Blood Fashion? Has this segment met the true death? 🙁

July 8, 2014 at 8:06 pm

No, but it is suffering from my insanely busy real life. I’d planned to get a column posted last week, but ran out of time. Hoping to get something up this week instead.

Is there a specific item you’re wondering about? I’ll make sure to include it in the first column.

• Em

July 11, 2014 at 9:13 am

I’d love to know where Adilyn’s lilac/purple plaid shirt is from. It’s too cute!

5. Nikki

July 8, 2014 at 12:27 pm

@ mel-
    by “better death” I mean a better death! getting 2 slugs, one to the head and one to the chest c’mon! something more fitting like maybe him dying in a fight, or maybe him sacrificing himself so someone he cared for could live,bc lets be real that’s Alcide. seems to me based on the writing of these 1st 3 episodes thus far they really arnt putting much thought into it, as if they’re sitting around the writers table going “well, were bored, lets just start killing off all the fav characters,F it, it’s the final season who cares! oh, and it doesn’t really matter HOW they die, just as long as they’re dead.”

• Dee H

July 8, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Agreed!!! It was going to happen – I hoped it wouldn’t – but it could have been done with much more dignity – he deserved that much!!

July 8, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Alcide did die in a fight, protecting Sookie from the infected vampires and the vigilantes.

As for the writers, they clearly aren’t sitting around throwing crap on the page because they’re bored. What an insult. You may not like the season thus far, but please respect that the entire cast and creative team are professionals. You obviously don’t see the narrative arc in play, but as in every other season, we’re building up to a climax over the course of several episodes.

• Dee H

July 10, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I apologize for making it seem as though my opinion was being disrespectful.

6. Hazel

July 9, 2014 at 2:11 am

I feel a little bit sad with the way the season seems to be going. I’m wondering if the True Blood writers, are trying to go the way of the other HBO show ‘Game of Thrones’ by going on a character-killing spree. I know that when Terry was killed, last season, this story line was done in such a special way, that when Terry was finally killed – it was very sad and shocking but also in a strange way, it was also very specially and very carefully handled. It left you with a really special feeling about Terry. So far this season it’s very random and I’ve not felt the deaths have been handled well. I agree with some of the other comments on here, Sookie was talking with Bill about not feeling that she loved Alcide as much as he loved her; it was pretty obvious then that that was a way of ‘crossing Alcide’ off the list by killing him off. Also the conversation in the car between Sookie and Bill where Bill is basically using the ‘Billith’ storyline as a way of wiping his slate clean from the awful things he did to Sookie, and making out that that whole ‘having his blood sucked out by the other vamps’, as making him like a new man. Sorry, but I’m not liking the storyline so far. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the writers picked up their game after this episode and finish the rest of the season in a way that the fans are not going to be disappointed with. True Blood and it’s fans deserve better than what’s been happening so far in this season.

July 9, 2014 at 8:33 am

So many people are misunderstanding what Bill said to Sookie, and completely passing over what her response to him was. Bill told Sookie that since he basically had a transfusion, he can no longer feel Sookie. When she asked if he gets a clean slate his reply was that his memories were not erased and that he can still feel the horror of the things he had done because of those memories (paraphrased). That’s when Sookie said, “Good!”. He doesn’t get a ‘get-out-of-jail-free’ card. Am I the only one who heard all of that? Bill wasn’t using the Billith storyline to absolve himself of all wrong-doing. He was only explaining to Sookie the reason why he can’t feel her anymore. He is well aware that he has a long way to go to make things right with her. And there are some things that will never be right. All of that scene, plus the scene where he’s in the tree talking with Sookie, is taken from the last book. Not word for word, but in tone and feeling. In the book, Bill told Sookie that he can never change the past and that they both hurt each other in ways that can never be forgotten or maybe even forgiven, but the past is gone and they can’t change that. All they can do is decide whether or not to move on from there. And they did.

As for the fans deserving better – I don’t get that at all. These writers love this show and have for 6 seasons. There is no way in Heaven, Hell or Earth that they are not going to disappoint some fans. It’s already happened. It’s kinda hard to please millions of people at once. I am a fan and I do not feel that I have been short-changed by these writers. The season isn’t even over yet and people are jumping ship and labeling this a failure.

• Dee H

July 10, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I wouldn’t say it’s a failure – not yet (and I don’t think I’ll really feel that way in the end). Disappointing in spots (yes, I am still upset about Alcide, but give me some more Eric and Pam and I’ll probably get over it) but I do realize that the writers have a plan in mind (and again, sorry if my opinion offended anyone – it is just an opinion) and if this season is like any of the last 6 it won’t be a failure.

Altho if you chose to think it is that’s your opinion…

July 10, 2014 at 9:55 pm

I was actually replying to Hazel, Dee. 😉 I’d never call anything about this show a failure. ;-D

7. Josh

July 12, 2014 at 11:13 pm

What is the point of complaining. This is their last season, the writers don’t give a d*mmn what we think. The real Eric is gone (sad), Sookie trusts bill,no matter what he did to her. He’s reborn so it’s all good. All you guys can do is sit and enjoy or change the channel. laterz ladies.