Recap 7.5 True Blood “Lost Cause”

“Nothing’s gonna help heal this pain you’re feeling but time. And tequila.”

This was the second exceptional episode in a row.

There’s a reason why people have wakes. There have been too many deaths, and the entire cast town desperately needed a little drinking, a little carousing, a little catharsis, as they tried to find a way to move on. And because this is True Blood, the wake included hook-ups and break-ups, a stabbing, and even a marriage proposal.

A guy going down on one knee with a ring in his hand usually doesn’t get to me, but this one did. It might have helped that Andy forgave Jessica first, and proposed to Holly with Gran’s ring. I was even affected by Sookie glancing over at Bill at that moment, once again signaling that the True Blood end game will most likely go in a Sookie/Bill sort of way.

Poor Sookie. Home alone again after losing two more people that she loved, waking up with no Alcide in the bed beside her, she needed to get drunk more than anyone. It was perhaps a little bit pat that she walked through the party listening to everyone thinking nice thoughts about her, but I especially liked Sookie and Arlene in the bedroom talking about loss, about Arlene wrapping Terry’s coat around her so that she could imagine being in his arms again. Especially when Jackson overheard and was kind enough to leave Alcide’s coat on the bed for Sookie. That was the most emotion I’ve ever felt about the Sookie/Alcide romance. Nicely done.

I was a bit less on board with the Bill flashbacks to the start of the Civil War, probably because I’ve always seen Bill’s human existence as that of a simple soldier and family man. Instead, he was smart enough to see the end of the war coming before it started (there’s a scene much like this early in Gone With the Wind, where Rhett Butler tells the men who are all excited about going to war that the Yankees have much better resources and the South will lose). Bill and his family tried to refugee, but failed. Nice to hear, but it felt like retcon. Plus his hair was really bad.

At least we know now why we’re getting Bill flashbacks; he has Hep V, too. That means I’m positive they’ll find a cure before the end of the season. We can’t lose Bill and Eric, or the fans of the show will implode.

One of the highlights of this episode for me was the big honey realignment. James wanted to take Jessica away for a romantic moment, and she called him a wet blanket? Has she actually looked at this guy? I love Jessica, but I was so with Lafayette when he told her off; Jessica never loved James. But she did love Jason, and in five minutes they were back together again. I get the impression Violet won’t take this lying down. Even though it was her own fault for talking about how hard it was to lose the first few of her hundred boyfriends in front of Jason. There is such a thing as tact, Violet.

I am developing a thing for Nathan Parsons as James. He has this gentle sexy sweetness to him. Lafayette has always been a favorite of mine, and I really want a happily-ever-after for him. Maybe James could turn Lafayette and they could spend eternity getting stoned, making love, and doing nice things for their friends.

The Eric/Pam trip to Dallas felt much like it was tacked on to the episode in order to provide some action and True Blood trademark gore. Actually, I was sad we didn’t get Eric and Pam at Sookie’s party. But setting the showdown slash massacre at the Bush Presidential Library gala for Ted Cruz made me laugh out loud, since I am so not a Republican.

The Sarah-coming-around-the-corner-in-slomo was right out of Terminator 2, with Eric as the Terminator. (And I just this moment remembered that the T-1000, Robert Patrick, was in this episode as Jackson Herveaux. Was that a little nod of acknowledgement to him?) Eric got to do some Yakuza face-ripping while wearing a cowboy hat. Good times.

But Sarah Newlin is still alive, isn’t she? Hep V is still fatal, and Eric is in stage two. And I am very unhappy that Eric keeps telling Pam he’s going to die. That scene where she was dabbing him with make-up while he brushed away her tears was upsetting. We just can’t lose Eric this way.

Bits and pieces:

— Bill told Sookie during their romantic hugging scene outside that she had succeeded in bringing humans and vampires together, and that mainstreaming was finally happening.

— Eric sitting on his “throne” one last time before releasing Willa made me sad, but Ginger screaming for us as Eric’s coffin was loaded into the limo made me laugh.

— Jackson and Lettie Mae gave toasts to Alcide and Tara, and Jackson was incredibly kind to Sookie in his hour of grief. But is Lettie Mae an addict again, or just desperate to save Tara? We still don’t know.

— Jason actually dropped a cushion on the floor in front of Holly so that Andy would have something to kneel on. And he gave Andy Gran’s ring. That’s a friend.

— Pam liked Sarah’s sister, Amber Mills. So did I. I even remember Sarah talking about her sister taken by vamps in a much earlier season.

— Keith the vampire is hot for Arlene, but he can wait and dial down his sexy. I bet we’re going to get a happily ever after for Arlene. I’d like that.

— In Bill’s flashback, “Mr. Bodehouse” was the bartender. Again, nice touch and a reminder that we’re still in Bon Temps, even in the past.

— Gold acting stars for Chris Bauer, Carrie Preston and Nelsan Ellis in particular for this episode, even though everyone was terrific.

Quotes:

Eric: “As your maker, I release you.” (Willa gasps)
Pam: “Like being kicked in the cooch by a wallaby, isn’t it?”

Ginger: “I have been your sex slave for fifteen years, Eric Northman, and we ain’t never had sex!”
Poor Ginger. Couldn’t Eric oblige her just once?

Pam: “I like you.”
Amber: “Is it all right if I haven’t made up my mind about you yet?”
Pam: “Yeah, I really like her.”

Amber: “Security’s going to be tight and they only invited assholes.”
Eric: “You don’t know us, sweetheart. We can be assholes.”
Loved the cowboy hat. I’ve always loved Eric under cover.

James: “She gives me just enough love and just enough affection to keep me hooked.”
Lafayette: “That is just like paying the minimum on your credit card bill each month just to keep that fucker from getting canceled.”

Pam: “Oh. My. God. I’m a Republi-cunt.”
Laugh. Out. Loud.

Arlene: “I have to go make tinkle because you know, I am a human.”

Jason: “You mean with all that sensitive musician shit, it never occurred to you that he might be gay?”

Pam: (in the Bush Library) “Of all the horrible things I’ve seen in the last hundred years, this could be the most disturbing.”

Wonderful episode. Four out of four leather jackets,

Billie Doux

Billie Doux is the founder of Doux Reviews and has been reviewing her favorite shows for a ridiculously long time. More Billie Doux.

I’m a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Joseph

July 21, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Totally rocked. I am pretty much a dude’s dude, but the scene with Andy on his knee had me in tears, well acted by all involved.
    Bill getting Hep V totally threw me off and I have such a freaking crush on Willa.

More Willa.

Great review. Hit all the right moments except when Eric looked at Ginger and said, “I am diseased”, and she gets giddy and says back,”I am too!”.
    Then the Ginger scream followed. That was classic True Blood.

2. candice

July 21, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Loved this episode too, just like last week. Where has this writing been for the past 3 seasons?
    The Pam/Eric story seems like an excuse to dress them up in dif costumes each week, but I am not complaining, I enjoy the heck out of it. I would love a Pam/Eric spin off, but itll never happen 🙁 Agreed, the Sarah and Eric around the corner shot was great, very effective. Made Eric look scary again, like when he ripped off that guys leg in the dungeon.
    I laughed so hard when Lettie Mae called Jason “Deputy.” Adina Porter is fantastic. The look she gave when she found the bottle of pills in the cabinet was so good. If you would have told me years ago one of my fave characters would be an alcoholic woman who neglected her child and was absurdly selfish….
    I did not like Lafayette telling Jessica off. James is a grown up, and can speak for himself. I would not enjoy someone taking that liberty and doing that on my behalf. Also, the speech about how some white, het er o se xu al s maybe think he exists just to keep them laughing? Thats exactly what I thought last week, he was def on display, and has been since last season, to be honest. And thats exactly what that scene was meant to do, to take Lafayette out of that box and force the viewer to realize he is a person. However, its the show who put him there in the first place. hmm. Or iz I jus an ungratesful hooka?
    Did anyone notice Bill referred to his human mother when he gave Sookie flowers? Was that the first time hes mentioned her? I liked how they showed Minus, who was mentioned in season 1.
    Ginger, oh Ginger, you make me laugh. Im wondering what they will do with Andy and Holly, if their kids getting together will be their new storyline. Step kids falling in love, I’d like to see how TB approaches it…

3. Tracy

July 21, 2014 at 1:00 pm

I enjoyed it, though I was sad to see Pam and Eric captured in the preview for next week. Hopefully that only lasts one episode, because the last thing we need is more of Eric being captured. The show works best when he’s out and about.

4. Angela

July 21, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Oh yea…I’m going to win my bet. In a synopsis it states that sookie will risk her life to save bill. Bill/sookie HEA. People said this isn’t possible because it’s to obvious, well think again. As the director said…they’re going back to season 1. Not a lot of eric just sookie/bill….All i ask is to plz,dont kill pam,lala, eric.

• esw45

July 21, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I dont think you will….in the next episode after 7.09 the synopsis says Bill alienates Sookie …so take it for what you will…I dont see them as endgame ….I don’t know who Sookie ends up with or not but Bill is not it..

• Christina

July 21, 2014 at 5:32 pm

If it’s alienation coming from bill, Sookie won’t take it too harsh. He’s always loved her and wants what’s best for her .. blah, blah, blah. You’ll never know, maybe she’ll become vampire and gladly move out of that crappy forsaken town “Bon Temps.”

5. Rebecca

July 21, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Great episode. Arlene had some great advice for Sookie. The break up was foreshadowed well. Didn’t see the hook up coming. Thought Hoyt would show up and Jessica/Hoyt would be the hook up. There’s plenty of episodes left so, maybe. Wonder if Bill & Eric are going to die from HepV to clear the way for Sam/Sookie. It’s obvious Nicole is unhappy & not just because she can’t drown her trauma in some tequila. Maybe Sam will be a single Dad? Loved Pam & Eric as Republicans. Hope they get Sarah.

• Seriezap

July 21, 2014 at 5:34 pm

” It’s obvious Nicole is unhappy & not just because she can’t drown her trauma in some tequila.”
      LMAO, nice one ;).
      “Wonder if Bill & Eric are going to die from HepV to clear the way for Sam/Sookie.”
      Now that I think about it, probably.

6. Traci West

July 21, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Here’s a question; how did Bill contract Hep-V? The last time we saw him feed, it was from Sookie. I’ve seen a lot of speculation on how Sookie’s fairy blood might be the key to a cure for Hep-V; in light of this, I tend to doubt it. What if the opposite is true; that Sookie’s fairy blood accelerates the progression of the disease?

• Steph

July 21, 2014 at 6:14 pm

He might have got it when all the vamps fed off him at Vamp Camp. Remember they were putting hep V in the True Blood they were giving the vamps to drink.

• Traci West

July 21, 2014 at 9:10 pm

If that’s the case, then why did it take so long for it to manifest?

• Angi

July 21, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Sookie cut her arm open to draw out the Hep V vamps. She probably contracted it through the cut in her arm. Bill fed on Sookie–contracts Hep V.

• Traci West

July 21, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Again, though, that means that Sookie’s fairy blood isn’t the cure.

• Vanessa

July 21, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Maybe Bill got it in the hep-v blood bath fight at the end of last episode? I was thinking that the healthy vamps better keep their mouths closed with all that blood and goo flying around. Right?

July 21, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Duh. That makes perfect sense, but it never crossed my mind until I read your comment.

• susbraska

July 22, 2014 at 12:26 am

This is a smart theory.

7. Sharon

July 21, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I pretty much watch TB because of Eric Northman….the whole show has gotten off kilter. Although this final season is a far cry from the previous seasons turned into, it’s way too political (I am a conservative thank you very much) and yep, you can tell which side of the fence hollywood sits. Keep your political views out and make it a show for everyone. But I’ll continue to watch because of the Viking despite the jabs and very political leanings of its writers.

• Seriezap

July 21, 2014 at 5:37 pm

What political views? You mean the freedom of speech and action? Conservative don’t mean backwarded you know?

• amy Cooper

July 21, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I’m sorry Sharon but TB has always been political since day one. It’s society vs “the others”. I love that they go after politicians who set up societies hatred for the other. It’s mainly about humanity and yes even the supes are better humans than those who are not. Besides, it’s a Alan Ball show and he’s very political. Hollywood and most creative people tend to be liberal and political, it is very personal to them and yep they have the right to express their beliefs any way they wish.

July 21, 2014 at 10:36 pm

True story. The books were political, and the show is political. Both examine persecution of The Other in society by putting humans and supes side-by-side. What I like about the way these stories are told is that neither humans or supes are completely good or completely evil; lots of gray areas and conflicted feelings, just like in real life.

8. Seriezap

July 21, 2014 at 5:31 pm

That episode was great.
    Loved the Pam/Eric scene, that’s how it should be. Eric & Pam forever, until Eric dies of Hep-V of course, lol.
    Sookie & Bill’s scene was nice too. These two really love each other. Too bad Bill has to go too :(…
    The other couples of the epi were great too:
    Lafayette & Luke (they really look cute together), Jessica & Jason (I feel sorry for Violet, but it was doomed from the start with her and Jason) and of course, Andy & Holly (the proposal made me smile).
    The only ones I can’t stand are Sam & Nicole. Are they the most badly assorted couple of the show?…
    Also, is it me or Willa looks exactly like Jill Roberts from Scream 4? Same haircut and wardrobe.
    Letty May needs to chill, that woman is going crazy so much that I’m starting to wish the writers make her join her daughter for good, lol.
    Finally, maybe it’s just me, but I’m kinda rooting for Sara not getting killed. And I’m glad Natalie Hall (Star-Crossed & PLL) joined the cast as her sister, as well as Bess Armstrong making a cameo as her mother.
    The mini-chase backstage was cool too, and I’m glad Eric finally killed the Yakuzas.
    Ooh, and I forgot Bill’s flashbacks. I’ve missed those.
    Overall the highlight of the season for me so far. With great story, action and character developement.

9. Christina

July 21, 2014 at 5:41 pm

BTW, I really don’t understand why did the writers decide to give Bill Hep-V. Is it to make us feel sorry for him? It just doesn’t make sense.And what the heck is it with all these flashbacks. It’s like these writers need to be reminded that it’s a 40-50min episode. So they add as much fillers as possible. JMO

10. Steph

July 21, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Mr. Bodehouse owned the bar back in Bill’s human days! What a riot! No wonder Jane is a lush! 🙂

11. Angela

July 21, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Yea, now it all makes sense on the rest of the upcoming episodes. The miracle is for Bill. DAAAMN!, can’t this show be less baised in the affection department.

• Traci West

July 21, 2014 at 9:13 pm

In the books, Sookie ends up with Sam. At this point, it would be extremely awkward to make the series end up that way.

• Angela

July 21, 2014 at 10:14 pm

The books are non existent when it comes to sookie/sam. That sure as heck aint going to happen…especially since sam is already a dad. As much as I am a eric/sookie shipper, I realize that the boat has sunk. Sookie never offered help or cared for eric. And she’s not a bit interested if he’s dead already.

July 21, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Did you even watch last week’s episode?

• Angela

July 21, 2014 at 11:51 pm

of course..My favorite. But that embrace she gave would be the same if I haven’t seen a family member for while. I’ve been busy with work, I haven’t been thinking about them. Then they show up, “hey how are you, where have you been”, they leave,some tears,then it’s back to work. It’s courteous. VERRY different with sookie and bill. She’s fighting some deep intimate feelings when she’s with him. I was surprised they didn’t kiss when she thanked him. But I never saw her give any thought about eric’s health in this episode. And perhaps I missed it…Sookie offered eric help in episode 4? Anyways, it’s all good Mel. It just doesn’t have to be so DAAMN obvious. But it will piss me off if they kill eric, pam, and lala.

July 22, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I guess we read those scenes very differently. To me, it was obvious that Sookie had missed Eric and wondered where he was and was happy to have him back and upset to find out he’d been infected. It’s clear to me that he is important to her, as she is to him.

12. Rina

July 21, 2014 at 10:23 pm

This was a solid episode. It connected on all emotional cylinders. I didn’t even mind Bill’s human flashbacks. I don’t understand why folks are calling them a retcon. I remember S1. Bill was never gun-ho about the Civil War. He didn’t own slaves. He never described the fighting in glowing terms. He wasn’t interested in being portrayed as a Civil War hero. All he was interested in was surviving and coming home to his family. And we know that Bill is very smart–certainly smart enough to understand the consequences of the South trying to leave the Union, and obviously he wasn’t the only person who understood this. I know that with the way the Southerners are portrayed sometimes with their Confederate flags and Civil War re-enactments, it may seem like the South considers the Civil War some sort of awesome party that they threw in the 1860s. But I’m sure many Southerners back then were conflicted about the war and didn’t want to leave their families and go off to die for a lost cause. Bill became a soldier because he didn’t see any other choice, not because he genuinely believed in the Confederacy, and that’s in line with his character.

13. mollie

July 21, 2014 at 11:11 pm

It is obvious the end game is Bill& Sookie. We’ve already been told in interviews and the Farewell Show that B/S have the love story. Whether they were together or not. It’s always been about how their faery/vampire romance was interrupted at end of Season 3. Eric was just a side~ order for Sookie on the show. Right along with Warlow and Alcide. E/S had more in the books. But even they did not end up together in SVM. But on the show, it’s been all about Sookie’s hurt/disappointment/ anger at Bill and how he let her down, destroyed their trust. They have never been out of each other’s way, season after season. Eric is a bad boy. And wSookie would probably bore him in a few years. But Bill has been secretly in Sookie’s heart. She has never gotten over him. So TB is going back full circle to Season One. And we’re going to see how Bill& Sookie finally get back together. Bucky said we would be totally surprised by how they come back together. No doubt. The final rollercoaster ride is only half way through, and it’s a good one.

• Angela

July 22, 2014 at 12:17 am

Exactly! They used Eric just for sex appeal. All we can do is accept what’s obviously coming *sigh*

• amy Cooper

July 22, 2014 at 8:58 am

I actually think that Eric and Sookie may end up together. I disagree with the comments made that there is no love interest between the two of them. I thought there scenes sizzled and they convey more love and passion with a glance than any other actors. Have you seen Eric every be that tender and loving with any other character? Sookie has affection still for Bill as he was his first but I’ve never felt that passion between then. Remember Pam told Bill not to be a hero as Sookie sill never be his.

The end scenario I have is that part of the Hep V cure is to turn the vampire back to human(remember that the gov told Willa that they were working on that) and Eric is cured and he an Sookie resume their romance. It looks like Bills is spreading fast and it maybe too late for him.

• Angela

July 22, 2014 at 12:36 pm

She is looking for a miracle. Maybe nial will save bill.

14. Angi

July 21, 2014 at 11:27 pm

The writers are bringing their A-games now when it comes to plot. This was another stellar episode. When I saw that there was to be a party this week, I was a little skeptical, but it was perfect. I love the fact that Lafayette is always there for her. I kept thinking about him and the Valium from the first season. He was with her with Gran, Tara (when she was turned), and now. True to the end! Fits him, doesn’t it?

• amy Cooper

July 25, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I think Nial is a key to the cure or at least he will try. I still think the cure is to turn the vamp back to human and I imagine both Eric ad Bill will be the first to try the cure.

Unfortunately it looks as though Bills is spreading faster than Eric’s so it will be touch and go for Bill. Part of me thinks that he may welcome a true death as he is missing his wife and family.

15. Michele

July 21, 2014 at 11:51 pm

I just LOVE to see my old True Blood back, these past 2 episodes have been the best so far this season. I just have to say that I don’t see the Bill/Sookie reunion, i’m getting just the “friend” vibe from them now, more on her side then his. I just feel like with all the flashbacks to the civil war and his family is just setting us up for his death and him going on to the afterlife with his family. It’s been awhile since i read the books, but the Dallas bomb scene for next week with Pam and Eric reminds me of the scene where the fellowship blew up the hotel and Sookie was there to save the both of them, wonder who will be there to help them in the show??

16. Tracy

July 22, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I agree that it’s obvious right now that Sookie is friend-zoning Bill. Whether that lasts, who knows?

I was upset to see Eric release Willa.

17. Vanessa

July 24, 2014 at 3:58 pm

So, I was watching the promo on YouTube for next episode and was looking at the comments: apparently someone claiming to be part of the crew/an extra is spilling lots of beans. If they are true, it’s a lot of spoilery info and on set antics. I couldn’t help but look. The persons’ name is “no” and it will be interesting to see how this pans out. Could be complete BS. Kinda hope it is.

• Angela

July 24, 2014 at 5:46 pm

I read those to. I can’t believe they’re going into that direction. Like I said, I just hope Eric doesn’t die. He deserves to be happy and hopefully get out of town.

• Vanessa

July 24, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Yea. I hope you’re right and that’s fabricated, bc really???? And I also agree- Eric is the best and deserves a great ending.

• Angela

July 25, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Well the person did say what’s going to happen in this upcoming episode…If it’s all true then eric shippers are screwed (sad)…but I’m going to win my bet. So it’s a loose win situation for me.

• Angela

July 27, 2014 at 12:06 am

Omg. ….the spoilers are true. I was right, sookie cares more for bill. She will fight for him. The Miracle is for bill etc. These writers are full of bill/sookie love fest.Did u see the trailer from comic con? I’m going to win my bet….fo sure. The boat has sunk.

18. devon

August 4, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Do you think that he could be like warlow since bill is a vampire and sookie is a fairy and bill had her blood.