Recap 7.6 True Blood “Karma”

“Well, hell. He was a bona fide vampire god six months ago.”

One thing about True Blood that I’ve often complained about is a lack of focus on the main characters. Not this season. It’s all about our main characters resolving their issues, and that is definitely working for me.

Karma really is a bitch, and Eric and Pam, with their new ally Mr. Gus Junior, have almost caught up with her. It would be a nice way for Sarah to make just a tiny bit of amends for causing the Hep V plague in the first place, but will she? Is it only Sarah that can cure vamps? Because seriously, there isn’t enough of her to go around. What about Amber, now that she’s been cured? Wouldn’t it be nice if the vampire cure could travel around the world like a chain?

One more time. Please, please, please, True Blood powers that be, don’t let Eric die. If he does, it will leave a bad taste in my mouth and almost certainly ruin the series for me. I’ll never watch it again. Did you hear me? I’m not even hoping any more that he’ll end up with Sookie, since it’s now obvious that it’s going to be Bill.

And maybe I’m okay with that, because I was surprised how unhappy I was about Bill’s rapidly advancing Hep V. Is it going so quickly because Sookie is part fairy, or just to enhance the drama? That whole long sequence at the lawyer’s office was so frustrating, although I’ll give them props for their obvious takeoff of the waiting room in Beetlejuice, as well as giving an attorney with a vampire practice the name “Kapneck” right before Bill capped her in the neck. Hey, waiting in line for nine hours could drive anyone to murder.

It’s also frustrating and sad that Bill can’t just leave everything to Jessica. Can he leave it all to Sookie, who can give it to Jessica? No, wait — I don’t want Bill to die, so never mind. I’ll just take it as it’s supposed to be: a reminder that vampires don’t have civil rights, a parallel to gay rights, etc.

The Jessica/Sookie scenes about Bill were so sweet. So were the Sookie/Jason scenes. (Whenever Anna Paquin and Ryan Kwantan have scenes together, I always think, wow, they really do look like brother and sister.) I liked how Sookie helped Jason work through his issues with Violet, while Jason was Sookie’s sounding board about her love for Bill as special because he was her first. At least Sookie acknowledged that she had real feelings for Eric as well as Alcide.

I’ve got last season-itis big time because I’m now worried about everyone dying — even Jason. As he walked up to his door the second time, I honestly thought Violet was going to kill him dead. (I might have to add Jason to my list of Characters Who Cannot Die in the Last Season of True Blood.) Did they come up with this whole Adilyn/Wade romance just to get Adilyn out of the house so that Violet could use her to set a trap for Jessica?

(And hey, repeat after me: getting married does not magically make people blood relations. Really, Andy, Adilyn and Wade will never be brother and sister, even if you marry Holly.)

The Lafayette/Lettie Mae thing is continuing to confuse me, but at least Lafayette’s participation has confirmed that it’s really happening. And at least Tara is off her crucifix now and is running around in a white dress digging holes in the yard at her old house. I have no idea where they’re going with this. Did Tara bury a jar of quarters or something?

Bits and pieces:

— The three brightly colored imported cars driving up to the Bush library in unison was pretty funny. So was Eric saying wearily, “Really?” as he was massacring his opponents. (Is “massacring” a word?)

— Arlene came home to Bellefleur’s, and found an unholy mess.

— Sam has been almost an afterthought so far this season, and now Nicole is leaving him. Sam told her that Bon Temps is the only place he’s ever felt safe. Considering everything that has happened to him in the last six seasons, that’s a bit ironic.

— James is staying with Lafayette, which isn’t a surprise. I really liked how he just matter-of-factly gave Lettie Mae and Lafayette his blood and said, “Enjoy the ride.”

— I was proud of Lettie Mae for standing up to the Rev, but sad that it might be over for them.

Quotes:

Pam: “I imagined my death many times but I never thought I’d meet the sun in someplace with wall to wall carpet.”

Sookie: “There’s some woodpeckers moving into my frontal lobes. Bam bam bam bam bam.”

Nicole: “You, you’re the mayor of crazy.”
He is. But still, Nicole, you’re so very pregnant and he’s the father… okay, on second thought, if I were Nicole, I’d leave Bon Temps, too.

Arlene: “Well, shit happens, Holly. You clean it up.”

Attorney Kapneck: “They sell anti-glamoring contacts at the Walgreens now.”
They didn’t do her a lot of good, though.

Not quite as good as the last two, but a very good episode. Please don’t kill Eric! Three out of four anti-glamoring contacts,

Billie Doux

Billie Doux is the founder of Doux Reviews and has been reviewing her favorite shows for a ridiculously long time. More Billie Doux.

I’m a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Rebecca

July 28, 2014 at 11:34 am

If Pam, Eric and Gus can refrain from killing Sarah, it could be the solution to Gus Junior’s financial woes. Synthesize the cure from Sarah’s blood and guess what…you not only have vampire consumers that need the Hep-V cure, but the blood donor population needs it as well or the non-infected and cured vamps have no safe source of blood. Ta da! Instant bajillionaire is Junior Gus. Maybe Eric should invest now while Yakanomo’s stock is low.
    The Tara story is confusing me…is this proving there’s even life after undeath for vampires?? And is there buried treasure in Lettie Mae’s former front yard?
    I hope they get Sarah to Bill quickly or he’ll be a casualty.
    Oh look, now Nicole is leaving Bon Temps…Sam & Sookie, anyone?

2. Jessica

July 28, 2014 at 1:02 pm

To me, the “Karma” playing as Bill ascended his stairs at the end of this episode was so perfect. And its ironic that it was Sookie who unknowingly passed HEP-V to him–again Karma.

I’m not saying I want Bill to die a horrible death, and I love Bill just as much as I love all of the characters on this amazing show, but the perfect ending to this story is not Sookie and Bill together for eternity.

I am so excited to see what happens next.

3. angel

July 28, 2014 at 2:21 pm

I’m with you on the Save Eric campaign, though.

• sookieleana

July 29, 2014 at 2:01 am

LOL My favourite comment ever!

Save Eric Northman!

You know I have stuck with this show through the good times and bad and never skipped forward through a single scene, but a Sookie & Bill reunion might just be the scene to do it for me. I keep telling myself not to watch the ending but I need to see Eric, Pam, Jason & Andy right up to the end before they leave us forever. So glad TV remotes have fast forward, it might just save my sanity!

• Tracy

August 1, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Agreed. Bill/Sookie ending will be a gigantic disappointment, though it looks like they are probably going that way. I think Nicole leaving/getting killed will be a perfect in for Sam, which I will be okay with IF they do it better than the books – like, end it with Sam and Sookie going on their first date. That would be a good ending.

I had hopes for Eric and Willa, but that doesn’t look promising right now. I just want the show to end with Eric being happy, or in the very least, satisfied with his life. He’s the most popular character and I feel certain they’ll at least give him that.

4. Stephanieb

July 28, 2014 at 7:36 pm

I have to disagree about the kids not being brother and sister if their parents marry. No. They will be siblings. That’s gross and their potential kids would be brother cousins. And that would remind me of Hotshots. But it is Louisiana.

5. rcox

July 28, 2014 at 7:46 pm

I don’t think Sookie is going to end up with either vampire unless she can reverse being a Hep V carrier.

6. Hazel

July 29, 2014 at 1:25 am

My theory is this: Nial will tell Sookie about the cluviel dor. She will chose Eric over Bill (Sarah Newlin will be killed before Eric can have the cure) and he will agree to be turned into a human again (using the cluviel dor). They will live happily every after and have lots of Northman babies together :))))))))))))) (This is what I’m hoping for anyway )

7. Vanessa

July 29, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Another really fun episode! My question is, of all of the occupations for a vampire- why did that one vamp in the office sitting next to Bill choose Mailman? Seems like a daytime kind of job? Yessno? 🙂

July 29, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I wondered the same thing! Maybe there’s special nighttime delivery for vampire businesses?

• Vanessa

July 29, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Awesome. Anything’s possible 😉 if it weren’t a fabulous enough alternate reality for having Eric in it- maybe the federal govt has extra money to spend for nighttime vampire mail delivery. Besides, our mailman vamp friend just couldn’t resist the benefits and the retirement plan. It just got a little more awesome in Bon Temps with that one scene. 🙂

8. nata

July 29, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I think Tara is showing her mom and lafayette where the cluviel dor is. On other topic, I was so bummed when sookie told Jason that she think she loved Eric in her own way. Seems like she loved Alcide more than Eric. I understand if she has more love for Bill, but the writers totally push the Eric/Sookie love history to the sideline. Regarding bill and sookie, I do not believe they are going to end together, I think what Pam told him in Fangtasia has to have some value, she told him not to be a hero for sookie because things between them were not going to happen, and bill accepted with a nod. Anyway, I never care too much for bill, so it kind of surprise me how sad I felt last episode, now I really hope they find a cure for bill. I am pretty sure Eric will find a way to save himself, if the writers kill Eric, I am just going to feel like this show was a total waste of time for me. ( I don’t even care anymore if he ends with sookie, but don’t kill him please).

9. Tyler

July 31, 2014 at 2:15 am

I’m really trying to find the grey cardigan sweater Jessica was wearing for most of this episode. You can see it in the pic above of Sookie and her crying on the steps. My girlfriend loved it and I’d like to get it for her birthday. Does anyone have any ideas?

10. Sarah

August 3, 2014 at 10:00 am

Why didn’t Andy and Holly reach the kids ? It was daylight when they left and full dark when Nicole found ’em.

I doubt the show will have the magical fairy thingy.. but maybe ya’ll know something I don’t, and I could always be wrong !