SPOILERS: Official Description for True Blood Episode 7.09

HBO has released a rather vague description for the penultimate episode of True Blood, 7.09 “Love Is to Die”.

Episode #79: “Love Is to Die”
Debut: SUNDAY, AUG. 17 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT)

Sookie (Anna Paquin) retreats in confusion. Sam (Sam Trammell) makes a choice. Jason (Ryan Kwanten) exercises uncharacteristic restraint, while Eric (Alexander Skarsgård) faces a dilemma after being caught in a lie.

Written by Brian Buckner; directed by Howard Deutch.

So, first of all, Eric is still around in the next-to-last episode. That’s for all the naysayers out there. 😉

It sounds like Sam doesn’t make his decision between Bon Temps and Nicole until this episode, so what’s he doing in ep 7.08 that helps him decide?

Jason doesn’t sleep with Hoyt’s new girlfriend, right? Since this is Jason, that does deserve recognition.

What is Sookie confused about?

More than anything, this description has me even more interested in the episode that comes before it.

1. Tracy

August 4, 2014 at 2:06 pm

She’s probably confused about Bill. Was that pity bang worth it?

August 4, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Is that what you’d call it? I’m so sorry you can’t see anything besides what you call a “pity bang”. I sure hope you listen to our podcast this week when we actually talk about the emotional sensitivities in that scene.

2. Peggy

August 4, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Not a pity bang, but a realization that their love has always been there between them. Unfortunately no mention of Bill in this 9th episode. I think he will be gone by this time, really very afraid he will not be cured.

3. Jen

August 4, 2014 at 6:10 pm

It makes me sad that people who watch this show can be so hateful. I mean wishing that Bill would have died on top of Sookie? Really? Those are the type of comments I have seen all day. And frankly I kind of expected it. But it is still a downer. I may be team Bill, but I would never wish that type of thing on Eric. So over the hate.

4. candice

August 4, 2014 at 6:15 pm

A pity bang? I have never understood why a girl would sleep with a guy she feels sorry for, pity is such a turn off! There is nothing attractive or sexy about pity or feeling sorry for someone, I will never relate. But I digress.
    I disagree, Tracy, I think Sookie and Bill were expressing their feelings for each other. Breaking up doesnt mean you dont still love the person. It also doesnt mean they have to get back together. I think it was just a spontaneous expression of their affection, dont read into it.

5. esw45

August 4, 2014 at 8:12 pm

I am not sure about a pity bang but a lot of guilt involved with the get together…yes, and Niall was trying to tell her to forgive herself and that Bill is not the one for her. I believe this is the last time we will see them together like this…Bill will start to pull back from her from the looks of it, wants her to be free of vampires and I don’t believe he will make it through the series finale.

6. Tracy

August 4, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Would Sookie have gone running to Bill’s house that night if she hadn’t infected him? Possibly, but doubtful – her general sense of decency would have stopped her because ALCIDE JUST DIED. But because he IS dying and it’s because of her, I do believe that yes, a big part of it was pity, too. Obviously she still has feelings for him, but it’s always been more obvious that HE still loves her, even when she tries to act like she doesn’t and she rebuffs him. So yes, I do think that this was more a ‘pity bang’ than a true realization that she does still love him after all. “I killed you accidently, dude. Sorry! Luckily I still have some residual feelings because you were my first love, so I can totally give you what you’ve been wanting from me for a long time – sex and comfort. A parting gift.”

Does she still have feelings for Bill? They’ve made that obvious since the end of last season. But lets not pretend that Sookie had sex with Bill ONLY because she wanted to because she is again in love with him. She feels tremendous guilt about giving him the disease.

August 4, 2014 at 9:13 pm

I think there is some guilt associated with her feelings, yes, but this was more of a goodbye for both of them. They both expect Bill to die in the next few days, if not hours. Both are grieving, both want comfort, so they turned to each other. Not the choice I would have made, but I can understand where Sookie’s coming from with her choice.

• Tracy

August 5, 2014 at 9:18 am

Yes, I can see that, too. Good point. Also not a choice that I or most folks would have made, and isn’t it a shame that they’re taking such great pains to rehabilitate Bill’s character but continue to make Sookie less than smart/likeable/whatever? From what I am reading, most casual viewers (not ones like us that actually take time to come to fan sites) were either happy that they’d gotten together because of their ship (a minority) or shock and disgust at Sookie’s choice to do so (a majority). That’s a sad statement for one of their leads. And I think another reason why they will have Sookie retreat from the decision to sleep with Bill. 🙂

But I’m probably totally wrong. LOL What I would do as a writer is leagues away from what they choose to do.

• Tracy

August 5, 2014 at 9:24 am

Yes, that makes sense, too. Good point.

They’re taking up most of this season trying to rehabilitate Bill’s character to the detriment of Sookie’s (if any of the casual fan’s reactions on True Blood’s FB page is any clue) and that’s a shame. I can only hope that her decision to sleep with Bill again, whatever the reason, is part of her decision to retreat because it was pretty damn unpopular for the most part. LOL And I can only hope the show runners aren’t that clueless about how their heroine is viewed.

• candice

August 6, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Sookie hasnt been protrayed as an “angel,” so Im confused as to why people are so shocked that she would sleep with Bill as he faces an imminent death, they are expressing their feelings. She also said, before Alcide died, that she doesnt love him the way he loves her. Although its been only a few days since Alcides death, I cant help but think that Bill trumps Alcide in the relationship department.

7. Carolina

August 4, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Birth is a miracle
    Love is a miracle
    Death is a miracle
    Forgiveness is a miracle, especially if you can learn to forgive yourself. Niall

8. posh

August 4, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Mel and Liz.. you know I am a newley converted Bill fan but I think he needs to die.
    Be with his real family.
    His first love.
    And Peace.
    Besides, we know that some vamps (Godric) are never far away right gals?
    To all the fans that are mournng the ending of Trueblood I say this, Been a fun ride with laughs and cries but all things come to and end so embrace it for the story and onward bound to the next awesome adventure coming =)

9. Rina

August 4, 2014 at 10:08 pm

I think the term “pity bang” is just as offensive as the term “slut.” Whatever Sookie’s reasons for making love with Bill are, there is no need for such words. They are beneath us and degrade all women.

August 5, 2014 at 9:56 am

I think that is what’s really bothering me too, Rina. That term is so low and insulting. It’s as offensive as the C-word that Pam so often uses. Everyone loves Pam and I do too, but I intensely dislike that term.

• Tracy

August 5, 2014 at 10:10 am

I used bang instead of a much more offensive term that I wanted to use. LOL What would you have rather me called it? A dumb idea? I guess I could have said that. 🙂

August 6, 2014 at 12:01 pm

You could have called it what it was – love-making. Whether you like it or not, these two have a history and an emotional attachment to each other. Dumb idea? Then I suppose everyone else on the show who has done the same thing that Sookie did had the same ‘dumb idea’. Jason, Jessica, Sam and let’s face it, Eric didn’t stay true to one woman either.

• Tracy

August 6, 2014 at 10:33 pm

If you gloss over everything that Bill has done to Sookie, then yeah, I guess you could look at it as a not dumb idea. LOL I don’t, and therefore, to me, it is.

10. wendy

August 5, 2014 at 2:38 am

For some reason I think it all leading up to this… LaLa and tara’s mom dig up something tara buried in her yard she grew up in when she was small. Like maybe she over heard something at Sookie’s house about a fairy magical gift aka..”cluviel door” and they give it to Sookie and she uses it to make all vampires human again or turn back time. I also think that is the reason Neill is watching Sookie because he wants it. Maybe they’re going to go back to the books a little. Just a guess.

• Tracy

August 5, 2014 at 9:20 am

I can see that. 🙂

• Petra

August 5, 2014 at 11:30 pm

That would be a cool storyline. I always did think that Niall was a shifty fella.

11. Hazel

August 5, 2014 at 5:19 am

I think Sookie will realise that she still has strong feelings for Eric and will probably be feeling confused after recents events between her and Bill…that’s what I’m hoping for anyway

• Tracy

August 5, 2014 at 9:29 am

I would be shocked if they did that. It might be the popular choice, but I just don’t see that happening. They’ve barely been together, and she’s not all that concerned that Eric is dying. They’ve sent Eric to find Sarah and kept Bill at her side.

12. amy Cooper

August 5, 2014 at 9:43 am

I think that Bill meets the true death and Sookie is reeling in grief, she’s counting up the bodies. Tara, Alceid and Bill. She’s probably examining her feeling of guilt and will resolve this so she can truly free herself of quilt and then see her miracle. Not sure what it could be, but even freedom from guilt and accepting herself will be a major miracle for her.

13. rcox

August 5, 2014 at 3:19 pm

I think Bill will die trying to save Jessica.

14. Angela

August 5, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I think it was a dream……well I hope it was.

15. Kim Ortin

August 5, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Good idea, Wendy, about the cluviel door. Maybe it has something to do with Sookie’s half human half blood tear in the posters?

16. shelia cutts

August 5, 2014 at 11:21 pm

In episode 8, bill tell’s eric, he wants to set sookie, free from her , attraaction to them.Said she is drawn to their dark light , is they are drawn to her light ! Bill, ,alienates, sookie to get her to let go of them.

17. Petra

August 5, 2014 at 11:28 pm

My predictions:
    I think the Sookie will find out that her Faerie “master blaster” power -the glowing ball that can destroy a vampire- could also change one into a human (depending on the kind of energy she puts into making the blast). This might confuse her at first (finding out) and maybe she has to choose between putting Bill out of his misery and making him human. I dunno….just a hunch!
    Sam will leave Bon Temps, I think. That is the nicest way for his character to exit the show.
    Eric and Pam will go on being Eric and Pam, though they might move away from Louisiana and start over somewhere else.
    Sarah Newman gets her blood taken to be synthesized and I hope that Eric will drain her personally, killing her while curing himself.
    Frankly, these last few episodes need WAY more Lafayette! I have no clue how they will wrap up the storyline with Tara in some kind of purgatory.
    And as for the rest of ’em, I don’t know!

18. andrea

August 7, 2014 at 7:57 am

I enjoyed reading all of your posts …much more that i did actually enjoy watching the show last week. It was not a good episode, only exception Arlene’s scenes which where really good ones and of course Eric and Pam always one step above as usual.
    I have already commented about the way the writers choosed to duplicate the exact first love scene between Sookie and Bill (white dress and chimney fire), just saying that it didn’t sound and looked right, kind of lazy, not a lot of imagination there …this is what I found most irritating. The acting was bad too, no real emotions, no dialog to support this decision, no thrill at all …and also no real chemistry since the begining of season 7 between a couple of actors married in real life ! How weird is this ?
    I dont care with whom Sookie ends with …I’m through with this kind of existantial question since the desastrous CH book’s ending. What I didn’t expect from the TB show is to discover my total lack of interest for the main character at this stage of the last season.
    This is something we should all be worried about …

August 7, 2014 at 11:31 am

Andrea, the point of that scene between Bill and Sookie being a recreation of the scene in episode 1.06 is that they were trying to recapture some of the romance and optimism from the beginning of their relationship, before it all went South. As Bill waits for the true death, after everything they’ve been through, Bill and Sookie were trying to find comfort in each other. The reason “it didn’t sound and look right” is because it wasn’t supposed to sound or look the way it did the first time. The writers want you to be sad/uncomfortable with how they’re interacting. These two can’t recapture the innocence of their early relationship; too much has happened, too much is at stake. The juxtaposition of those two scenes – from 1.06 and 7.07 – is meant to drive home how much has changed between them and in their lives overall.

August 7, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Also, I wish people would stop with the “disastrous book ending” comments. Mel and I happen to like the ending, thought it made 100% sense in the context of the story, and are fans of Charlaine Harris’s work. Her ending was no “disaster” as far as we’re concerned, and we realize that it wasn’t for everyone. But the harsh comments really aren’t welcome here. There are other sites for that.

• posh

August 7, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Well to be honest A LOT of fans in their opinion it was a disastrous ending. Can’t really blame fans for being so passionate about a characters that we have grown to enjoy.

I wonder of Sam stays in BT, where will he work, what will he do and last but not least will his child be a part of his life?

August 8, 2014 at 12:54 pm

We know “A LOT” of fans don’t have the same opinion of the book ending. Reading is subjective. Liz’s point is that these sweeping “everyone agrees that the book ending sucked” type of statements are erroneous.

• posh

August 8, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Question. Who on a program makes the ultimate decision on what happens in a show? Allan Ball? Buckner?

August 9, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Bucky has been in charge for the past couple of seasons. I think Alan signs off on the overall storyline (he’s still executive producer), but for the most part, Bucky is guiding this ship into port.