True Blood Radio 228: “May Be the Last Time”

This week’s podcast is all about True Blood episode 7.07, “May Be the Last Time.” What greater meaning did the Bill/Sookie final scene have? What was the point of the 30 seconds of Lafayette and Lettie Mae digging holes? Is Jason reverting to type? Will Eric be cured by next week? Can Sam leave Bon Temps? Does Arlene get a happy ending? All that plus spoilers for the next two episodes!

Things we talked about:

Hey, do you know how to set up an iTunes feed? Because Mel sure can’t figure it out! If you’d like to help her solve this issue, please email her at claudine@true-blood.net.

1. wendy

August 5, 2014 at 5:09 pm

For some reason I think it’s all leading up to this… LaLa and tara’s mom dig up something tara buried in her yard she grew up in when she was small. Like maybe she over heard something at Sookie’s house about a fairy magical gift aka..”cluviel door” and they give it to Sookie and she uses it to make all vampires human again or turn back time. I also think that is the reason Neill is watching Sookie because he wants it. Maybe they’re going to go back to the books a little. Just a guess.

August 5, 2014 at 5:37 pm

If you watched the podcast, then you heard me speculate the same thing. We’ll see!

2. Brandon W

August 5, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I heard you guys saying Sarah/Newme was acting crazy but judging by the fact that I saw no bite marks or bandages (Might be there but if so I missed it)I can only assume that she drank her sisters blood to heal and since sarah has never had V (or maybe any other drug) she’s confusing the high with reality. Loved the podcast as usual!

August 5, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Ah…she could be on a V trip! Didn’t think of that.

3. esw45

August 5, 2014 at 6:26 pm

It looks like a dream where sookie is sitting in a chair with a baby and a man comes into the room…I think its bill’s dream in episode 7.08….

4. Antonella

August 6, 2014 at 7:44 am

Hello! I loved your podcast as always.

I like Mr Gus too he’s an interesting character. I loved when he and Eric made their business deal, it could maybe lead to a turning point in Eric and Pam’s lives (far from Bontemps). Of course presuming that Eric will heal.
    I agree with you about Bill and Sookie loving moment,that was a goodbye.

It seems to me that this season is unpredictable and surprising and I can’t wait for next episodes.
    Ciao from Italy

August 6, 2014 at 11:51 am

Ciao, Antonella-from-my-favorite-place-on-earth! They’ve certainly done a stellar job of misleading us with many issues this season and it makes for a great treat for all of us who have been with the show from the beginning.

• Antonella

August 7, 2014 at 1:13 am

I wonder if and who among the main characters is going to die. At this point is very uncertain.

The only thing I am sure is that I’m going to miss True Blood.

Liz, I am glad to know you consider my country your favorite place on earth!

5. Ashley

August 6, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Great podcast ladies! So with the writers now trying to tie up loose ends and address unanswered questions do you think we’ll ever find out who turned Steve Newlin? I’m dying to know! Also, what about how Eric contracted Hep V?! Or are they moot points now? Can’t wait for the last 3 episodes!!!

August 6, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I hope they tell us who turned him, Ashley! It’s one of the great unresolved questions on the show!

• Ashley

August 6, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I know! Well we know it’s a woman and it has always been speculated to be Pam. But maybe Amber?!! Time will (hopefully) tell!

August 6, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I think the only explanation we’re going to get as far as how Eric contracted HepV is just what he told Pam: that he wasn’t exactly careful when he was recovering from his burns. It could have been anyone that we do not need to be introduced to at this point.

• Ashley

August 6, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Yes I agree with you, Liz. We don’t need to be introduced to anymore characters. Maybe they could have Eric just ‘day’ dream about it and then we know without having to actually have a whole storyline devoted to it. 3 episodes left so not a lot of time.

6. Angela

August 6, 2014 at 1:13 pm

I don’t think bill is going to die. This is also to obvious. everyone is preparing for bill’s departure but the writers will pull a fast one and make bill human. It’s going to be all right for all bill fans. I’m counting on this to happen to prove the writers have only been focused on always getting bill/sookie back together. Practically on every season.

7. Laney

August 6, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Great podcast. Interesting insights as usual. I don’t think Bill is going to die.either. Even though I am team Eric I think Bill dying would be just awful. In the books it was Sookie who helped save Bill when he got really sick after being silver poisoned during the fae war. Maybe she will pull a rabbit out of a hat in the series also. I just don’t see how Sookie or Jessica could come back from losing Bill with only
    3 episodes left. There would be a very dark cloud over the remainder of the season.
    It would be very cool if the item buried in the yard turns out to be the cluviel dor.
    And it looks like Eric does come back to Bon Temps which I am glad about. I don’t like that he and Pam have been so far removed from everyone else for so much of the season.

August 7, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Oh my gosh, I completely forgot about Bill’s near-death experience in the books! He came very close to dying, you are correct, Laney! Sheesh, where is my head!

• Laney

August 7, 2014 at 7:37 pm

In Dead and Gone. I think it was in the next book or two after that Sookie snooped into his computer files and got contact info for his sister. She convinced the sister to come to Bon Temps and heal Bill by lettibg him drink her blood. I don’t remember how Sookie learned that blood from “family” would do the trick.

8. Viv

August 7, 2014 at 3:05 am

That seemed very odd – Jason and Bridget. Maybe Jason and Bridget have fallen for each other in a ‘true love’ way? Jason was talking to Sookie in a previous episode about how he has never really been in love like she was with Bill etc. and Bridget is his love at first sight perhaps. Hoyt and Jessica could get back together as Jessica has matured so much since she and Hoyt split up. She loved him but was too immature before.

9. Steph

August 7, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I don’t trust Niall when he told Sookie there was no way to heal Bill. If I remember right, he said “I don’t like him”. then after Sookie gave him a weird look he back tracked and said “I don’t like him for you, Sookie”.

Who did Eric lie to?? Hmmm do we have a 1,000 years to go through the list! LOL!!??

10. Mary Ann Peden-Coviello

August 9, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Your remarks about the difference between Book Arlene and Show Arlene interested me. It took me a long time to warm up to Show Arlene because I loathed Book Arlene so intensely.

So I started thinking (always dangerous) and came up with this, though I’m quite sure I’m not the first to have thought of it.

Show Arlene is a conflation of Book Arlene (judgmental, quick-tempered, bigoted, and easily led by the men in her life) and Book Maxine (busy-body with a heart of 10 carat gold — not 24, just 10). So you have a quick-tempered, judgmental, basically goodhearted character who was influenced by Terry to be more open to other people.

And Show Jason is a conflation of Book JB du Rone (good-looking, sweet, funny, dumb as a box of fluff) and Book Jason (devilishly good-looking, mean as a snake with a sore head, lady’s man with no restraint — until the last couple of books anyway). So Show Jason is devilishly good-looking, no restraint, funny, and (except for a few minutes in Season One when he belted Sookie after Gran’s death), mostly good-tempered and not mean.

I know, I spend too much time thinking about this stuff. 🙂