Recap 7.9 True Blood “Love is To Die”

“I swear to God talking to him tonight was like talking to a suicidal toddler.”

Do you think we could have a penultimate episode that’s all about tying up loose ends? I get why a lot of the more casual viewers might dislike this episode, but it’s clear to me that the producers are making a serious effort at giving True Blood fans exactly what they want. And way to go. I loved every minute of this episode.

That said, I’m almost as impatient with Bill as everyone else is. Yes, yes, I get it, vampires are dark, Sookie the fairy is light, the baby was a black void, he done her wrong. But if Bill really wants to die, why not take the cure and see if Eric is right about the disease causing suicidal depression? Bill could always meet the sun later on a la Godric if it’s not the disease, couldn’t he? This Bill wanting to die flashback thing has just gone on too long — so long that if Bill changes his mind in the series finale and decides to live, it’s just not going to ring true.

But I did love that Bill released Jessica, apologized again for turning her in the first place, and told her how proud he was. Jessica has always been one of my favorite characters in this series, and she spent a lot of this episode making amends as well as adult choices. I’m all for Jessica ending the series by rekindling her relationship with Hoyt, but the fact that he still doesn’t remember their past is a possible problem. If Hoyt is smart, he’ll leave it as it is. We shall see.

I was right about Brigette as Jason’s consolation prize. If it hadn’t been done so sweetly and skilfully, I would have been rolling my eyes at Jason finally experiencing honest communication in bed with a woman instead of a whole lot of sex. I’m happy that Jason got several fun Jason-like moments, though, with the five minute concussion being no big deal and the frozen peas on the crotch thing. I wonder if this whole riff about Jason wanting to have kids is to counter an ending of the series where Sookie ends up with a vampire and can’t have them herself? (And how convenient is it that Hoyt doesn’t want kids, and Jessica can’t have them?)

Wouldn’t it be a kick in the pants if the show ended the way so many fans want it to end, with Sookie and Eric together? I was just so happy with all of the terrific Eric-related content in this episode. The way he was a real friend to Bill and tried to save Bill’s un-life. Sookie crying on Eric’s shoulder. Eric waiting for Sookie in the darkness of Merlotte’s/Bellefleur’s parking lot.

Even better, Sookie got to fly with Eric. And that made me realize they were just giving us some closure, and they’re *not* going to give us an Eric/Sookie ending. I usually avoid book spoilers in my series reviews and I won’t say how the books end, but my favorite thing about the books was the connection Sookie had with Eric and the lovely way he treated her. Oh, well.

At least they gave us that absolutely hilarious gem of a scene with Ginger on the throne at Fangtasia experiencing the best … minute of her life. (Skarsgard’s expression was priceless.) It’s too bad they had to follow it up with Eric giving up Sookie’s location to Gus and company. Pam has been used to control Eric a few too many times this season. It’s losing its impact.

But honestly, this episode rocked and I’ve been very happy with this final season. I haven’t enjoyed True Blood this much since season four. Let’s hope they don’t blow it all with the finale.

Bits and pieces:

— The staff party at Merlotte’s/Bellefleur’s was just lovely, like a holiday or, more accurately, a goodbye party. Jessica made peace with James (with Lafayette watching carefully from the other side of the room), Arlene gave Sookie advice, everyone had a good meal, perfect.

— Sam has had practically zero plot this season, and now he and Nicole have left Bon Temps in the rearview mirror. Sam wants to see his daughter grow up. That worked with all of this season’s emphasis on babies.

— I did enjoy Jason carefully explaining to Brigette that they weren’t having sex because it was very Jason and very True Blood.

— It would be nice if Jason and Hoyt were best friends again at the end of the series, but I’m not counting on it. They can’t tie up every loose end.

— In this week’s hair report, why did Gus make Pam dye Sarah’s hair blonde again? So she would look prettier to vampire customers, I suppose?

— Could someone tell me why Sookie has been wearing the world’s ugliest shirt and hairdo for what, three episodes now? She’s the lead in this series, isn’t she?

— “Love is To Die.” Has anyone died yet? I don’t think anyone died in this episode. Maybe I wasn’t paying close enough attention.

Quotes:

Sookie: “Whatever this is, whatever you’re doing, you don’t get to hide behind the word ‘fate’.”

Bill: “I’m choosing the true death.”
Jessica: “Fuck you, Bill.”

Pam: (to the sobbing Jessica) “Cry on my jacket, you’re paying for it sweetheart.”
And yet, Pam was right there to hold Jessica, like Eric was there to hold Sookie. Pam can be sweet, but only while accompanied by snark.

Sookie: “You’ve started over so many times. How do you do it?”
Arlene: “Well, it helps when your ex-husband comes to you in a death vision and tells you to.”

Eric: “She loves you.”
Bill: “She’ll learn to love someone else. But not while I’m on the planet.”

Bill: “It was a void. A black void. Sookie had given birth to death.”
Eric: “Fuck.”

Eric: “I’m over a thousand years old, Bill. If I had an aptitude for marriage counseling, don’t you think I would have figured that out by now?”

Pam: “I need to remove this gag. El gaggo. I need to remove-o. Fuck it. (to Sarah) Listen up, twat lips. I’m going to remove your gag ’cause I can’t get the foils where I need to get them with it on. But please don’t mistake this for an act of kindness.”
Twat lips. That goes on my list of top ten Pam-isms.

Eric: “Can I give you a lift home?”
Sookie: “You don’t have a car.”
Eric: “I’m aware.”
Swoon.

Eric: “Ginger, I spent my entire night flying around dealing with other people’s relationship problems. Now does that sound like me to you?”

Eric: “On the throne it is.”

Four out of four plates of etouffee and dirty rice,

Billie Doux

Billie Doux is the founder of Doux Reviews and has been reviewing her favorite shows for a ridiculously long time. More Billie Doux.

I’m a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. Mel

August 18, 2014 at 10:33 am

Excellent recap, as always.

It was my impression that Pam’s plan to pimp Sarah is a private one, not something Mr. Gus approved. The only reason she spilled the beans to Sarah at that point was because she thought the Yakuza in the room couldn’t understand what she was saying. (Other than “whorehouse”, of course.) Too bad for Pam, Mr. Gus returned and discovered the plan, thus Pam in chains.

Plus we get the nifty throwback to season 2 when Pam was doing Eric’s hair.

2. Marsha

August 18, 2014 at 10:47 am

I think them dying Sarah’s hair is to use her as Sarah Newlin again in the marketing of this new blood product

3. esw45

August 18, 2014 at 10:51 am

Yes….I think Pam thought they couldn’t understand her as well….I know Eric is not going to let Mr. Gus hurt Sookie so he is going to do something is going him from doing that….I still believe Bill will probably die just stringing it out as long as they can

4. nata

August 18, 2014 at 11:04 am

I have been fine with the idea that Sookie and Eric are not going to be together, or that’s what I though. But being honest, I think I am going to be very disappointed when they don’t end up together. So sad the shows that I love never end the way that I like. Oh well.

• Katherine

August 18, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Hey nata we both have that in common I was just thinking that when I saw this episode.

• Eliz

August 20, 2014 at 8:58 am

Sigh… I know what you mean. I’ve tried to resign myself to the fact that Sookie and Eric will not reunite – although the writers have definitely toyed with our emotions this whole season – giving all the Eric fans the slightest glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe it could still happen. Seriously, it’s bordering on cruel. The previews for next week make it look as if Sookie is going to try like hell to save Bill. But with all the surprise twists this season, I’m guessing things will end up in a different place than what the preview suggests. However, my gut tells me Bill will live and he and Sookie will be together, since the writers obviously love them together as a couple. My dream ending would be that Bill dies and is reunited with his family in death. Sookie is heart-broken, but goes back to being a waitress and getting on with her life. Eric tears out the throats of the Yakuza and produces NuBlood himself – to cure all the vamps. Pam and Eric continue to manage Fangtastia, and life returns to “normal”. Fast forward one year, and into Fangtasia walks Sookie in her white sundress with a smile on her face to see her boyfriend Eric…

• Michelle

August 20, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Eliz…I really, really, really HOPE that actually happens!! That would be the perfect ending! Eric has proven, once again, that he truly loves Sookie…He is always there when shes needed somebody. but *sigh* i kinda have the feeling that Sookie will somehow save Bill and both will live “happily ever after!” 🙁

• Noelle

August 21, 2014 at 12:42 am

Eliz, that would be my perfect ending as well! I know some fans want bill and sookie together at the end, but personally that would be my least favorite coupling for sookie…id prefer eric, Sam, Alcide if he were still alive, or just Sookie alone at the end. I think because sookie and bill feel regressive to me, especially since the writers are already doing a “first love is the best love” thing with Jessica and Hoyt.

5. Laney

August 18, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I too think that whatever Pam was up to when she dyed Sarah’s hair was not meant to involve Mr.Gus. Speaking of Mr. Gus I have a feeling that he and his Yakuza minions are going to have a very unpleasant ending. No way is Eric going to let them go and Kill Sookie.
    I still think something will happen to convince Bill to take the antidote but I’m not as sure as I was last week. I don’t agree that his taking it would lack authenticity. Bill has always hated his vampire self.
    I’m glad Sam seems happy but I don’t know that he won’t resurface for the finale.

6. Rina

August 18, 2014 at 12:14 pm

LOL, I don’t think Mr. Gus made Pam color Sarah’s hair. I think that was just something that Pam did for herself. It’s how she deals with stress–she gives people makeovers.

7. Vanessa

August 18, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Loved it. Loving this season- I totally agree with the review. This is the first series finale of a show I love I’ve ever looked forward to bc of how well thre writers and show runners have treated the characters we all care so much about. There’s no way to make everyone happy or to ever make it perfect but altogether it’s definitely been satisfying. 🙂 also, this website has been fab to check and follow this season (I wish I found it earlier)….. Thanks so much!! Gratitude rampage end. For now.

8. andrea

August 18, 2014 at 3:30 pm

I agree with you Billie, Sookie with this ugly T-shirt and hair !! I mean we understand there is a lot of stress going on …but nevertheless ! I think Bill is going to protect Sookie against the Japanese now on their way to her place, maybee dying doing so …or Sookie will use her light and he will get hurt somehow. Even if Bill dies, I too have no longer hopes for Eric as he just got promoted as a couple counselor of the week. This boat has sailed, it hass even sunk under water right now.
    Pam did Sarah’s hair because she likes the girl. She is a badass. Somehow, she reminds her of the girls who used to work in the brothel and maybee she has a plan to sell her as well in the near future. I believe she will turn her as her proginy in the finale.

9. amy Cooper

August 18, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Mel, I think you’re right. I was a bit confused as to what Pam had done to put her in silver chains and Mr Gus wanting to know if Sookie knows.

I don’t know if Bill will live or die right now but if he does die I think he will go out saving Sookie. I do think they need to get on with it.

What I like best is Eric’s tenderness and affection to Sookie, He’s protective buy unlike Bill he treats her as a women who is capable and can take care of herself but Eric is always there for comfort and or to fight along side Sookie.

I don’t know who Sookie will end up with or if she will end up with someone. I’m curious as to if that was a grave she was standing next to in the previews?

10. Traci West

August 18, 2014 at 7:18 pm

One thing I don’t get; why have Eric and Pam put up with Gus, Jr. for so long? Once he told them that NuBlood would only maintain Hep-V instead of cure it, they should have wiped out Jr. and his Yakuza minions. They’re vampires, for Pete’s sake; they have the speed and strength to take them down before they could react, so what are Eric and Pam waiting for? The right dramatic moment?

• candice

August 19, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Agreed, Traci. Eric, even when weak from Hep V, was able to wipe out several of the Yakuza ppl in the hallway a few episodes ago. He’s cured now, should be effortless for him to get rid of them.

August 19, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Not if there’s a chance Pam could be killed. Eric is a warrior, a strategist, he knew that in that situation, it was better to ensure Pam’s safety first, then figure out how to protect Sookie later.

• Traci West

August 19, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Well, we know from the trailer for the final episode (WHAAAA!!) that apparently Pam survives; the question now is, what is the series of events? I have a hard time believing that Gus, Jr. will simply let Pam go; seeing as how he can always tell when Eric is lying, he might try to kill her out of pure spite, to teach Eric a lesson. Then again, we can always hope that Eric goes on a rampage that saves Pam as well as protects Sookie.

11. Lisa

August 19, 2014 at 1:59 am

I was so sad for Eric right when Sookie asked him to come in. It seemed like he finally accepted that Sookie will never be able to really love him no matter how well he treats her, and with that realization his heart was breaking. Very well acted by Alex, just a look before he flew away. It made me cry.

In my opinion, he really did treat Sookie very well, respecting her as a strong woman and also being her knight in shining armor when she needed it. The timing of showing what a great guy Eric is in the same episode of Bill being a total selfish ass seems odd to me. Bill was really likeable again this season until he refused to take the cure. Why make him look worse by having Eric be such an awesome compassionate guy?

12. Antonella

August 19, 2014 at 2:27 am

I agree with Billie this episode rocked. I really loved it, every scenes and lines. For me it was the most emotional of season 7 so far. I liked how the relationships among variuous characters were fixed especially that one between Eric and Bill. Their dialogue was beautiful and touching.
    I am surprised that Sarah is still alive, but I am glad she is, because that scene with Pam dying her hair was fantastic. I don’t know what to expect from the season finale, but I have feeling that it will be amazing.

13. Sarah

August 19, 2014 at 12:56 pm

I agree with Billie as always. The Bill whining about dying and not dying is gettin’ really old. I have been waiting for Grandpa Compton to kick the bucket since season two. As for Eric and Sookie, I certainly wish they would give their relationship a shot but that’s definitely not happening. The night flight was kind of the best. I have been waiting for that for a long time. As for the preview, what’s with that grave? Sookie becomes a vampire? That would kind of bug me. Anyone else who cares to chime in on that one, please do. AND finally, “twat lips” is right up there with, “Like being kicked in the cooch by a Wallaby isn’t it?” Overall, it’s been a really good final season.

• amy Cooper

August 20, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Sarah, I’ve been wondering about that grave too, it’s awfully big though. It has Sookie questioning leading one to think she is considering becoming a vamp, but seeing that this is TB it is probably misleading. I do want to know what is going on in that scene though.

14. rcox

August 19, 2014 at 6:05 pm

We don’t know that Sookie is not going to end up with Eric. Maybe Sookie will realize Eric has always been the one to come to her rescue and he loves her for her.
    Bill is using Sookie as an excuse to died the true death. I don’t think was ever really been happy as a Vampire.

15. Storyfan

August 21, 2014 at 11:52 am

Eric seems like he is saying goodbye. Giving Ginger what she wants, trying to fix Bill and Sookie to give Sookie what she thinks she wants. He’s been alone 1000 years, only took on Pam because she forced it. I’d really like to see him dive in front of Sookie’s fairy ball of light to save Bill and instead wind up human. He and Sookie can have kids and a normal life till he dies, then Sookie can hook up with Bill. With the Yakuza heading for her house, I think Bill will have to take the cure to try to save Sookie. So effectively I think both will end up with Sookie given time.