True Blood Season 4: Best Season Ever!?

Let me start out by saying that this has been my favorite season of True Blood so far. (And that’s not just because Sookie spent so much of it in bed with Eric.) True Blood has always been outrageous, sexy and fun to watch, but the number of characters with separate storylines tended to make the episodes too cluttered. This season, nearly all the plotlines and characters were successfully folded into a bigger story that came together in the end. The pacing was right on target, and I had the best time.

Love triangles

I can’t quite put my finger on what they did to subtly change Sookie, but I liked her more this season than in the previous three combined. Could it be that reversing our two male vamp leads brought out something in her we hadn’t seen before? Eric’s bout of amnesia certainly added a lot of vulnerability and sweetness to his arrogant Viking persona, while Bill became a surprisingly effective and appealing vampire king as well as a caring father figure to Jessica. Maybe this season worked for me because they finally stopped teasing and gave us several episodes with Sookie and Eric all over each other. We even got some remarkably sexy fantasy menage a trois. That dream Sookie had was something special.

Our central love triangle was echoed all season by another, as baby vamp Jessica turned into a badass, broke up with Hoyt and seduced Jason. I wasn’t expecting it, and wasn’t expecting to like it — but I did. I actually cared about Jason this season. He grew up while Sookie was gone, weathered a horrible experience in Hotshot, and tried his hardest not to hurt his best friend. And making him a cop worked better for the continuing story than I ever thought it would.

Shifters and weres

Sam’s storyline this season was the best he’s ever had. Sam Trammell and Marshall Allman did an outstanding job with all of it — comedy, murder, sexual deception, anger, and ultimately, Tommy’s tragic death.

Alcide had a good storyline, too, as well as with several spectacular nude scenes. Even though I’m a Sookie/Eric ‘shipper, I hope they give Joe Manganiello a whole lotta screen time next season. (Quinn? Quinn, who?)

Witches, ghosts and fairies

Fiona Shaw did a terrific job as maniacal homicidal slash crunchy granola witch Marnie. And I particularly liked the way ghost witch Antonia came full circle as a character; it was an effective reversal of what happened to Marnie. It was clever of the writers to fold the characters of Lafayette, Jesus, Tara and Holly into the witch war plotline, and Lafayette’s new powers gave the talented Nelsan Ellis a lot more to do. I’m still sad about losing Jesus, because this season made me like him — a lot.

The ghost stuff started out semi-lame, but turned out quite cool — especially in the finale. (It was lovely seeing Gran again.) And the fairy stuff that was pretty silly last season got seriously ramped up to creepy in the fourth season opener. Cool.

Rest in peace

We lost too many characters this season: Sophie-Anne, Claudine, Tommy Mickens, Jesus, Nan, Tara, assorted sheriffs, witches and black-clad bodyguards, and Maxine’s vampire neighbor Beulah. Not to mention Marnie, Marcus, and Debbie Pelt. But they’re bad guys. Do they count?

The one I’m really going to miss is Jesus. Sorry about that, Tara. There are rumors that Tara may not be gone forever. Couldn’t they bring Jesus back, instead? Sorry about that, Tara.

Seasonal bits and pieces

What else worked this season? (And isn’t it nice to be able to say that, instead of “what didn’t work this season”?)

— Jumping ahead a year allowed the writers to make some significant changes that worked, like Bill as king, Jason as a deputy, Eric buying and fixing up Sookie’s house, and so on.

— We moved away from the truly icky all-incest-all-the-time situation in Hotshot. Personally, I’d be thrilled if we never heard from Crystal and the whole sick panther gang again.

— We learned that vampires used to be heavily into the Catholic church, and now it’s Google and Fox News. Good to know.

— Gators like marshmallows.

— Werewolf divorce. Think of how much we could all save in legal fees.

— Ginger riding a pink coffin like a mechanical bull? Just not something you see on television every day.

— The Festival of Tolerance was absolutely hilarious, and that was even before the screaming began and the bodies started (literally) flying through the air.

— The continuing scenes in Bill’s basement with every vampire in the cast chained down and bitching at each other got better with every episode. And Bill’s continuing conflict with Nan was the gift that kept on giving.

— All of the trouble and conflict appears to have made allies out of Bill and Eric. I was sad that Eric and Pam broke up, though. Let’s hope they mend their fences next season.

— It might not have been intentional, but there were a ton of callbacks to Buffy the Vampire Slayer: the magic shop, a gay witch with incredible power, Bill’s flashback as a punk in 1982 London, Eric’s cubby with the luxurious bed, and all the black leather. And the rocket launcher. And the Sookie, Bill and Eric triangle keeps reminding me of Buffy, Angel and Spike.

Next season?

What do I want for next season? I’ve gotten the feeling that Alan Ball may be ready to leave the one-book-one-season structure behind. The series has gotten far enough away from the books that I’m okay with that. I honestly don’t see the need to introduce a certain tiger-like character when we already have an exceptionally hot werewolf in the cast. And I’m happy as a clam that Russell Edgington and Steve Newlin are returning. Hey, as long as Eric continues to be a major character, I’m ready to go wherever the True Blood writers want to take me.

This season’s best lines

Eric: “I know I’m a vampire, Snooki.”
Sookie: “It’s Sookie!”

Sookie: “You drank the whole fairy, and you’re going to your room.”

Eric: “I’ll just lull all the sea monsters. Gators! Krokodiler! Show yourselves!”

Pam: “You are a Viking vampire god, and you bow to no one. If someone crosses you, you rip out their liver with one fang.”

Sookie: “I promised I’d take care of you.”
Jason: “What you think that meant? Change my kitty litter?”

Sookie: “I’m proposing that the two of you be mine.”

Jessica: “That how he said it?”
Jason: “I might be parrot-phrasing a little.”

Tommy: “There ain’t no heaven, and hell’s a dog fight. I’m gonna disappear like I never was. That’s what I want.”

Eric: “Excuse me? We’re feeling a little crispy up here.”

Pam: “I’m so over Sookie and her precious fairy vagina and her unbelievably stupid name! Fuck Sookie!”

As a whole, I’d give this season four out of four krokodilers. See you next June!

Billie Doux
Billie Doux and her contributing writers review science fiction, fantasy and cult television shows at BillieDoux.com.

What did you think of True Blood season 4? Vote in our first annual fan survey!

I'm a hopeless sci-fi geek and huge fan of shows like True Blood, Lost, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I write episode reviews and articles about many of the shows that I love. All of my reviews are at DouxReviews.com

1. toni

September 16, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I dont think it was the best season at all, it lacked continutity and character growths from previous seasons was thrown out the window to fit into this story. It had it’s good points, Nelsan, Sam, Kristin and Alexander got to stretch their acting legs and show us they can bring it under any circumstances. I felt like Sookie’s character got pushed back to before the show even started, maybe to her tweens as far as maturity goes. I never saw her as dumb or a willing victim till this year while 2 vamps fed off her while she had the most vacant look on her face.

September 16, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Vacant? It looked more like blissful to me.

• Kim O

September 16, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Mel, I agree. She liked it.

• Cha

September 16, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Yeah that’s pretty clear just like she loved it in her “Red Teddy” dream. Umm umm umm our little Sook has become a bit of a vixen. Power of the “V” and I am Not talking about vampire blood. Lol. 🙂

• Gracie

September 27, 2011 at 10:26 pm

It waS Sookie’s fantasy come to life she was enjoying every second of it!

• Jessica

September 16, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Toni – I couldn’t agree more. It definitely lacked continuity, and so many story lines/characters were dead ends. The evil baby, Andy’s V addition, and Tara’s cage-fighting were all random and went absolutely no where. It’s still a good show, but they could have done so much more. The writers need to focus on creating a cohesive story instead building random story arcs around particular actors they wish to showcase. I’m looking forward to season 5 and a smaller cast.

• flexy633

September 19, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I agree with those that said this was not that great of a season. I absolutely hated the amnesia storyline. At first Eric was cute/funny, but then the little boy/Forrest Gump act got old. It does not make sense that Sookie could fall in love with Eric in the state he was in. Unless she likes being the mommy. Ewwwwww.

The Bill/Eric bromance is far more interesting and I hope that they both work together next season WITHOUT Sookie. Nan was right about one thing – they were acting like lost little puppy dogs chasing after the same bone.

It would be wonderful if both of them would tell Sookie to get lost.

2. Sookieeleana

September 16, 2011 at 4:21 pm

The first half of the season was excellent but it went downhill for me from when Eric was spelled the second time to “kill the king” onwards. Still some great stuff, don’t get me wrong, I still love it but not for me the best ever.
    The 2 couch scenes were just painful to watch – from the one in ep.10 onwards Sookie and I just didn’t get along I’m afraid. Someone please burn that couch before season 5 please.
    It was the best season for our dear Laffy, finally they gave him a major story arc. I also loved Jesus, Tommy, Pam and Alex S was pure awesome in the first few amnesic Eric episodes.
    The biggest let-down for me (apart from the couch from hell) was Marnie, for me the most disappointing big bad that the show has ever had.

• Jules

September 16, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Too funny! I feel the same way about “the couch”. Although, I enjoyed the last 3 episodes. I also agree with you about Marnie. Russell scared me. I loved season 3.

• Sookieeleana

September 17, 2011 at 3:06 am

Yep, I felt more menace in that one scene where Alcide discovered the concrete hole and silver chains than I did in the rest of the season put together. Marnie was an insipid villain at best. And take her ending – at the hand of Sookie’s dead gran in a nightie, seriously? Compare that with the violent exit for say Rene or Maryann or the Shakespearean demise of Russell.

3. Cha

September 16, 2011 at 4:25 pm

While I fell deeper into a TrueBlood love affair this season I’m not sure if it was “the best season” at least for me that is. However there were some best moments of all season without a doubt, all of the True deaths were perfection, Lil Miss Sophie-Ann brought us some good good stuff in the previous seasons but sadly I loved when they shot her, they had to because if Bill had tried to fight fair she would have taken that @$$ down so fast we wouldn’t have known what hit us… I would have to say it was also the best season of WTF moments,  i.e. Andy getting some fairy booty in the middle of the woods? Huh WTF… It was also among the best for funny @$$ moments I swear I almost wet myself when the actors were playing as if they were Tommy after he’d shifted into them. That walk Sam did when he went to confront Marcus @ the shop was so hilarious. All in all it was a Truly Great season And that’s something I think we’d all agree on. I hope season 5 brings it!!

4. TeamSookie

September 16, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Thanks for the great analysis. I’m with you in hoping that we’ve seen the last of Hotshot – but I’m betting that there might be some “litters” on the way. We’ll get to see how Jason reacts to offspring from his unwilling sperm contributions. It was just too big a part of the season to not have some flash next year. Just like I bet we see more fairy action, which was almost entirely absence after the first episode.

• Cha

September 16, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Good points it’s almost as if the fairies were never apart of this season as for Hotshot I think I would laugh my @$$ off if that actually worked.

5. esw1966

September 16, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I liked the eearly part of the season and some of the mid season but the last two episodes were written horribily… and didn’t make much sense. It was a good season that could have been great! Alexander S. acted wonderfullly and Nelsan Ellis were great too!

I surprisingly liked Bill as the king and also without Sookie, he was a better more well rounded character with her.

I like that Eric can be in love and care about somebody besides Pam and their scenes were very intimate with each other without the sex.

The werewolves: Alcide, Marcus, ect. were boring and lack any purpose… the only interesting one was Debbie and I felt sorry for her because she was crazy.

Fiona Shaw acted great but the witches were okay but I could not get behind there revenge plan because Marnie became a monster. Laffeyette and Jesus was really good together and cool as witches.

The shifters: Sam is a nice guy, Luna is beautiful and Tommy was a criminal and they were boring as well.

Sookie is alot more intelligent than they portrayed her in particular the last few episodes. The triangle was forced by the writers because she didn’t think about being with Bill most of the season till he gave her some blood to save her…. so she really had moved on to being with Eric…to the point of agreeing to bepart of a blood bond with Eric. She should have chosen one of them because she had already done so by her actions.

• Sookieeleana

September 17, 2011 at 3:14 am

So glad I’ve found someone who agrees with me on S/B/E 🙂
      I too enjoyed Bill being king and can’t understand why he was even in that awful scene. Didn’t Sookie already break up with him at the end of season 3? Was he ever actively pursuing Sookie in season 4? If I’d been him I would have made an excuse and left with my dignity. And you’re right Sookie already made the choice to warp her legs around Eric like there was no tomorrow and willingly drink his blood. Then when he declares he remembers and is still in love with her she says it’s over – it makes no sense. I still can’t believe Raelle Tucker wrote this. I think I’m having a bad V trip!

• Jenn

September 19, 2011 at 10:12 am

I disagree about Sookie’s feelings for Bill. She was still angry and hurt, but not over her feelings for him. You could see in episode one she didn’t want him to leave – she was disappointed when he said goodnight. And after Eric declared that he bought her with the house, she dressed herself up all pretty – her hair, her dress, wearing high heels (to walk through the graveyard?) to go ask Bill for help. Did you see the look on her face when she saw the Compton manor all fixed up – she was all Elizabeth Bennett seeing Pemberley for the first time. And she pranced herself up to the bedroom instead of calling to him and waiting in the foyer. What? Who on earth does that with somebody they hate? The main reason for the scene with Bill and Katarina was so that Sookie would see them, get hurt feelings and for the audience to accept that Sookie could then have sex with somebody else and still be a “good girl”.

• Gracie

September 20, 2011 at 7:20 am

Thank u that’s exactly right sookie was never over bill she was hurt even though i like erics character after this season it just seems he was rebound guy to me.

6. Cassy

September 17, 2011 at 10:51 am

Exactly what Sookieleana said.

Sookie was incredibly cruel to Eric in the end and you don’t want to see that in your female lead character thank you very much.

And I also take issue with Pam – she was never so self-obsessed in the books.

7. jsnider

September 17, 2011 at 12:20 pm

The season ended as a disappointment….I was good to go up until the last 2-3 episodes and then it all just fell apart….they went into left field with too many of their main characters—SOOKIE for sure—there is something wrong when you end a season thinking if they killed off the main heroine–you wouldn’t mind too much!!! Eric–jumped off the deep end as well—begging for Sookie at the end??? Not ERIC. Pam disobeying—Not PAM.

There were many great parts and some wonderful acting–Sam Trammel, Nelsan Ellis and Alexander Skarsgard were what held the show together…..

I hope Season 5 can bring the juice and get back to the main character arcs……

8. BillieDoux

September 17, 2011 at 12:47 pm

As a reviewer, I tend to lean toward the positive. I write about my favorite television shows because I love them and I want to talk about them and share the love. The comments so far have been pretty negative. And that’s fine, don’t get me wrong. If that is what you guys think, then that’s what you should post.

But I’m starting to wonder — didn’t anyone else love this season as much as I did?

• LeAnne

September 17, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I did love this season. I agree with the fact that most of the comments have been negative. people bashing the writers and characters. I have always liked Tara and she seemed more “smart a**” to me than whiney (look @ the way she grew up and how she has been treated). I will miss her if she is not brought back in the same amount of story line. I think there was character growth and change for the good. Thinking Marnie was a victum and then finding out she was the angry-vengful force behind the magic was a good storyline in my opinion. I love that the fans are passionate about the show…. just would like to see more positive comments 🙂

• Sookieeleana

September 17, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Billie – just in response to your post. My last post on this page I promise. The 2 main grumbles I’m seeing in general across the internet are 1. stories/characters that either end up being nothing or just disappear (this doesn’t bother me too much so long as the main stories/characters make sense) and 2. The way they are persisting with the love triangle. Eric/Sookie shippers had 3 seasons of her with Bill and they still had to bring him back into it – unnecessarily in my opinion as he already had a good story-line in being king leading the fight against the witches.It now seems they are never going to let Bill/Sookie go on the show and Eric fans had such high hopes for season 4 we feel let down at the end. I don’t think any of us expected E/S to be happy together at the end of this season but having her continuing (and frankly unfathomable) love for Bill shoved right back in our faces at the end was just too much. I’ve really enjoyed reading your recaps by the way – so thank you very much! 🙂

• ROM

September 20, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I agree that Season 4 has been the best so far – and I love that AB does not follow the books too closely. It gives all TB fans multiple sources for a fix!

BTW – you missed another great line from Season 4. When Jason was outside the MoonGodess Emporium with the vamps, trying to stop them from blowing up the place with Sookie inside, he berated Bill.

Jason: “…treating Sookie like your own personal soda fountain…”

I used that line with a girlfriend who just had a baby..and she howled!

• Cha

September 20, 2011 at 8:47 pm

That was funny. I loved how he stood his ground and took up for her with no hesitation or fear of two bad @$$ vampires.

9. RusselKing

September 17, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Billie… Great analysis.. Loved the season

I see a bunch of director/producers wannabees here simply dishing out negative comments.. If AB follows the books always, we end up wih a boring soap opera… If you want that, go to ABC or CBS and tune into those… Show is great… There is a reason why is so revered on TV, wins awards and has a TONNNN of following… Stop
    The whining folks…

10. viggolover1

September 17, 2011 at 3:03 pm

The problem with TB at this point is not that it doesn’t follow the books…well if will be helpful if it did. The main problem is that AB wants to showcase every single actor he has in his show and that is impossible to do without making a mess out a story line. That is why you have main characters and supporting characters in books, movies and tv series. The main character in this story is Sookie as a secondary will be Bill and Eric. Everyone else including their story lines shoud be complimenting whatever happens to Sookie. TV series don’t have the money or time to developed more than one main story or two…that is why at the end of each season you see them trying to rush everything to have some conclusion or close in some of the stories. The other problem that TB has is the such “love triangle” comen on!!! Eric was the one with amnesia…not Sookie…she agree to a blood bond with him and she didn’t hezitate to do it. He told her clearly “we will be one” hello!!! and then when he tells her in the couch “you are mine” she said that she didn’t agree to that? well…let me explain this to you Sookie…if becoming one with someone doesn’t sound like you belong or are part of that person…I don’t know what it will be? I hope that all this blood bond with Eric will be explain some how in season 5…if they don’t why even bother to do this…second I hope that they explain why every time Sookie drinks Bill’s bloods she goes back to have feelings for him. She developed feelings for Eric before she drank his blood. That hasn’t been the case with Bill. I hope she wakes up from this and makes a decision…her happiness is in front of her. And Eric has done everything on his power even cofessing to her that he loves her to deserve her love. This is to hope and wishing.

September 17, 2011 at 6:58 pm

And I think that everything you suggest would just make for a very predictable, boring show. And I think that love triangles create interest and constant change and surprise for the viewers, which again, makes for a fun show to watch. In my opinion, Alan knows how to bring good television and he definitely knows how to cast. He didn’t win an Oscar for nothing. And letting the actors each shine and play to their strengths is brilliant and adds color to a show, as well as promoting a healthy atmosphere on set which shows through on screen.

• viggolover1

September 19, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I’m sorry I disagree with you….in movies, books and series you have your main characters and your supporting characters…that it’s why even on award shows they have their own categories for this…you can’t showcase every single actor that you have in a show…12 episodes it’s not enough time to have a conclusion to this stories…jumping around for one story to the other doesn’t make good television…AB doesn’t have to follow the books by the letter but he can use the “spirit of the books” to help himself to make a good story…and that spirit involves Sookie, Eric and Bill…then you have your secondary characters like: Jason, Sam, Alcide, Pam, Jessica etc. Then you can ad Terrie, Arlene, Andy etc…you can’t make all of them as important as the main characters…then why in the world award shows will have supporting characters awards for??? Ex…Game of Thrones is a series…HBO series…that is following the books almost to the letter…are people who read the books less interest it because of that??? No…and look who got Emmy nominations because of it…TB had the most nominations on it’s first season and what a coincidence that was the season that was the closest to CH book. That tells you something. Like I said he can make changes…but if the books work and people love them so much…why you are trying to fix something that doesn’t need any fixing? Just saying.

September 20, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Uh, True Blood was nominated 4 times this year, just saying. And I wonder how all the Game of Thrones fans are going to feel when the show moves away from the books like the showrunners said was going to happen at Comic Con.

And by the way, many awards shows also have a category for “Ensemble Cast” which includes the whole cast.

September 20, 2011 at 3:29 pm

The executive producers on Game of Thrones told us at Comic Con that they’ll start veering away from the books in season 2 (you can already see that in some of the casting announcements) and continue making it their own version of the story from there on out. Not unusual given how different the two mediums are; it’s almost impossible do a full on adaptation of a book for an extended length of time. Even the Harry Potter movies had to take some liberties and that was a case of trying to make the movies as close to the books as possible. Alan Ball has said over and over that he’s not trying put the books on screen verbatim, but rather is inspired by the books as he creates his own version of the Sookieverse. Not saying you can’t wish things were different, but it really is comparing apples to oranges.

P.S. I fully expect to see some Golden Globe and Emmy nominations for season 4, especially for Fiona Shaw and (I hope I hope I hope) Nelsan Ellis and Kevin Alejandro.

• Angela

September 21, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Hey if HBO can adapt already great book series and make them EVEN BETTER, they’d deserve praises. This season on TB, no praises sung sorry. If Game of Thrones accomplishes that next season, then expect Emmy/golden globe nominations.

The thing about these HBO series are that they are ambitious. They take great books and try to make them even better. That’s not easy. Many people argue and say the the Sookie Stackhouse novels would play horribly on screen, I’d agree and disagree. If you keep the characters the same, it would be one of the best shows HBO has created, but some events in the book are not up par with Alan Ball’s “style” of action.

Often times with adaptations, events are change/condensed to focus on characters. Not the other way around. So that’s the challenge I guess for HBO. TB was good in the beginning because there were fewer characters, it sucks now because they are too many, competing for storylines, in the backdrop of an action-driven plot. So I guess it made sense that they killed quite a few characters at the end of Season 4. I hope they learned and intend on fixing all this next season. Give the show some AIR please. I’m suffocating in Bon Temps. Before I can feel something, they throw something else in the mix. It’s too schizophrenic right now.

Side note:
            Jessica, is the most believable and well-developed character in TB so far. She makes a great addition to the story and she gives Bill a better purpose. Actually, Jess would have been great for the books.

• Jessica

September 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Well said! I recently read an interview where AB admits that he creates story arcs to give each character something to do. You end up watching 5-10 minutes each of what seems like 5-10 different shows. I can see they’re trying to cut back, but then you also have them setting up some random “Terry turns evil” story line for next season. Memo to AB: not every good, decent character needs to turn evil.

• Gracie

September 18, 2011 at 2:50 pm

That’s not true sookie had feelings for bill since the day he walked into merlottes she had feelings for him! Eric was the one who tricked her into drinking his blood don’t try and rewrite history to make Eric look better!

• Cha

September 18, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Yup!! Gracie is 100% correct. We have 9 months, go back and watch. She Didn’t have feelings for Eric until she got a sip of that sexy @$$… (Sorry I got sidetracked thinking about him) his blood @ least in TB… I’ve just purchased the first 2 books so I can’t speak about that. Truth be told you can’t please everyone all the time. Also it’s a bit crazy to think that all the characters storylines would/should or will always come back full circle to Sookie Eric and Bill. Give AB a break other characters have to have things going on too.  Honestly I have never once seen a movie or tv series that was based on a novel be exactly verbatim to the letter. That would be completly boring that is what our imagination is for while you read. Perhaps it would be helpful for everyone to Stop thinking your watching the books and allow yourselves to indulge on AB’s creativity. Love what you like leave what you don’t, but as Billie mentioned it seems as if only cons live here and pros are nonexistent.

• viggolover1

September 19, 2011 at 9:21 pm

@Gracie…how in the world Sookie had feeling for Bill when she just met him…she was curious about him because she couldn’t read his thoughts and he was the first vampire that she met…plus she even confess to Eric in the finally that since she met him (at Fangtasia) that was they first met…she always wanted him…all of him. And after he lost his memory and they had sex all over her house…she confess in her bed that she wanted to keep feeling for him the way she was feeling then after he regain his memory. That was before she accept it to drink his blood and have a blood bond with him and become one with him. I don’t mind her having feelings for Bill too…what it upsets me is that Bill trick her ( and I know people will said that Eric did too…at least the first time with the bullet sucking ) to drink his blood. The difference was that Bill let people almost kill her to do this and what Eric did didn’t harm her. Then Sookie goes like that was nothing forgives him ( and that is ok too if she wants to close that chapter ) but her asking him to forgive her…come on!!! that is the typical response of someone who is in an abuse relationship…the victim feels that it was her or his fault. She can forgive him all she wants…but she doesn’t need to ask for his forgiveness when his is not even asking for it and he is not even asking for her to forgive him…I don’t think Bill thinks he has done nothing wrong. And I feel for Sookie…that is the difference between TB Sookie and book Sookie…book Sookie was able to forgive Bill but she always new that he betray her…and believe me for those that haven’t read the books book Bill hasn’t done some of the things to Sookie that TB Bill has done to her and even Eric…book Bill never has try to kill Eric no even once…those two they have some type of respect for each other.

• Gracie

September 20, 2011 at 7:26 am

I don’t condone what bill did he paid for it when he lost sookie! You need to go back to season one when they first met that night she had a dream about him 2 dreams in fact before she had his blood bill didn’t need blood!

• esw45

September 19, 2011 at 9:46 am

Gracie….I agree that sookie opened up these erotic dreams…but she even said in the last episode with that silly “I choose neither one of you two” that she wanted Eric from the first time she laid eyes on him. I know you love Bill to death but even sookie said that she was attracted to Eric from the beginning.

It really doesn’t matter how any of us feel about who sookie should be with….because they are going to write anything controversal or drama filled to keep people interested.

• pve

September 22, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Gracie, If you remember, bill also tricked her into drinking his blood. Purposely letting ger get so beaten up by the rattrays so that he can feed her his blood. That is a trick to me. So, at this point both Bill and Eric tricked her. Expect when sookie willingly took eric’s blood without being ingured.

• Gracie

September 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I dont’tthink Eric is done with his lies like bill is remember when sookie was missing he said he knew she was alive and little things over the season and nan saying he knew some people and bill getting that thoughtful look on his face Eric is not squeaky clean either he’s hiding something so don’t jump all over bill and when she drank erica blood she was caught in a moment it happens all the time in life and it never works out and she got high like drugs and I think that is telling because u know how drugs make people react ! At least bills blood kept her sane that is telling

• pve

September 24, 2011 at 1:53 pm

No Eric is not squeaky clean. What i am saying is that they both lied to her. BUT, Sookie gave Bill a ligitimate chance. Now, i honestly think that she should give Eric the same chance. Only fair. Yes, i did find it weird that Eric KNEW that sookie wasnt dead. I havent read the books but i hear he has some connections with fairies. I dont know… weird.

11. Kmberley

September 17, 2011 at 4:36 pm

gotta agree with the negatives comments on this page- and I do mean ALL of them

My biggest problem was the love triangle-most people are just so confused that they even went there with bill. It was just so out of no where and it felt forced by the writers because they just needed a reason for sookie to be “alone” next season. Which is fine- but there was a hundred other ways to go about that. And lets face it probably most of them would have been more interesting.

Episode 11 was I think the worst episode the show has ever had. It was so illogical and so many characters have been out of character this season. (I mean having a witch war in a graveyard? And bill and eric kill themselves for sookie even though she’s in no immediate danger? Really writers? Really?) In short, i’m afraid the writing this year just became lazy for me.
    I will say the only person’s storyline that improved tremendously was Jason’s. Actually found him really interesting this year.
    So sad that they messed up the one season everyone was soooo excited for.

September 19, 2011 at 11:49 am

One hundred other ways to go about it? Maybe, but they chose this way. And just because it wasn’t to your liking doesn’t make it a bad show or poorly done. It just means you are not a fan.

• esw45

September 19, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Liz, I disagree with your statement because people have a right to their opinion, I don’t think because they disagree with the way the show was written or where it is heading doesn’t mean they are not fans. If they are not fans they wouldn’t have so much passion about it.

It is a wonderful show, I just think the last 2 episodes could have been written better or more accurately made more sense. I will still be watching season 5 and I am definitely a fan of the show.

• Cassy

September 20, 2011 at 9:39 am

I agree with this. In no walks of our lives should we just follow blindly and not question what is good and what is bad. People feel this strongly because they have emotionally invested in the show. I, for one, am very worried about the places that Sookie, Pam and Eric were left in at the end of this season, I am unhappy because I care about them, and I care about them because I am a fan.

• LeAnne

September 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm

well, she did say it was poorly done

• Maria

September 24, 2011 at 10:04 am

I do so agree. I watch many series, especially the HBO ones, and True Blood was such a disappointment to me this year, almost to the verge of embarrassment of watching it. Surely I will not recommend it to anyone anymore and doubtful I will watch it next year.
      It is a freaky supernatural show, but still the characters’s actions and feelings must be somewhat believable to the watcher. This season was just ridiculous, and shocking but not in the usual WOW kind of way. More like, OK there must have been major cut backs in the writing department because this is just plain stupid… Sorry people

• BillieDoux

September 24, 2011 at 10:13 am

Maria, if you thought it was so awful, why are you still watching it? Even more to the point, why are you here posting negative comments about it?

• Cha

September 24, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Right?! That deserves 3 seriously’s.

• pve

September 24, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Yes Maria, ratings is what tells all. All season the ratings were high and the 10th episode even broke a series record. That is all the writers and alan ball will see. I fell in love with Eric this season. I couldnt help it, i got sucked in.

• esw1966

September 25, 2011 at 1:58 am

Yes, I think Eric really showed alot of depth this past season…..from having amnesia to remembering his relationship and love for sookie. If he is not the most popular character on the show he is at least the second.

• LeAnne

September 27, 2011 at 9:00 pm

@ Maria… A Disappointment? Verge Of Embarrassment? Ridiculous? Just Plain Stupid? WOW! those are cruel things to say about the show…….You do realize that this is a True Blood FAN site don’t you? Just a “I wasn’t a big fan of this season” would have done just fine.

12. Angela

September 19, 2011 at 1:29 pm

In short…I agree with the “less than stellar” comments but from a filmmaker’s perspective:

1) Producer Alan Ball–it is impossible to have story arcs for like 15 characters in a 1 hour show. There are about 11 Sookie Stackhouse novels (soon to be 12 in May); at this rate True Blood will not make it that far. That would make me sad so stop with the shenanigans.

2) The love triangle was forced this season to strengthen Bill’s storyline and to make Sookie single for next season (she will be dating a werewolf, Quinn in the book but maybe it’ll be Alcide who knows, AB & the writers do whatever they want anyway).

3) Yes Sookie did love Bill…but not after she realized how selfish he is. The thing about Bill is that he doesn’t put Sookie first. That scene with Bill (and Eric) saying they’d kill themselves for Sookie? Talk about soap opera (i.e. way too dramatic and improbable). Bill and Sookie’s love lasted 3 seasons and was great while it lasted but it ended. It ended because Sookie matured and realized what she wants and needs…she’s not supposed to be a fickle, confused, dramatic, and indecisiveness mess anymore. Sookie is growing up; she’s a woman now, who is supposed to make choices.

4) Some people say Sookie is stronger this season, others say she’s weak. I say she’s just inconsistent. It takes a defining moment to change a person. In one season, a character shouldn’t that all over the place.

5) Despite my critiques, I like AB because frankly I’m still watching the show; next season, I’ll even watch the first episode to see if TB’s writing has improved. Season 1 was my favorite. I, an Eric fan, even enjoyed watching Sookie and Bill’s love progressed. It was because AB allowed time to develop story and characters. I feel like he’s just rushing it now for action and entertainment (which he does well, because people love vampires ripping off heads and hearts so much that they let that “cool” factor masks the declining quality in the storyline). In order to make the show great again, AB needs to reevaluate his approach next season (i.e. character focus and with regards, their emotional continuity). To the writers: write as if you want an Emmy nomination even though Mad Men always wins.

• esw45

September 19, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Angela, Great points…I agree with you totally.

Yes the inconsistancy is what I am voicing my opinion about… Yes, it does seem that sookie has outgrown Bill and for most of this season did not think about being in a relationship with him. I understand for dramatic purposes AB wanted the love triangle to continue, even though she did move on to another person.

Next season she will be dating a werewolf, Alcide because he is going to be in essence Quinn. I believe it will not last long (nothing never does on TB) and by the end of season 5 she will be contemplating a relationship with either Eric or Bill.

Like you, I love the show, I just wanted Sookie to be consistant and not wishy washy about making a choice. She still hurt both of these 2 guys by not making a choice even though she said she did not want to hurt either one of them.

13. jaime

September 19, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I loved this season.

14. Selkie

September 19, 2011 at 6:09 pm

First off I love TB, it is one of the best shows on tv. I thought this season was great, it was full of interesting story lines and twists. In terms of people wanting TB to be more like the books, at the end of book 4 Sookie is with no one, which leads into her romance with Quinn in book 5. Don’t get me wrong I love Eric, he is sex on a stick, but for the storyline to continue to grow they can’t be together yet. Also with the books Sookie and Eric don’t get together fully until book 9… It just means there is lots more teasing between the characters to come. True Blood is not a show designed to have happy endings where everything is as we want it to be.

I was a TB fan before the books, but I have since read all of the books and I think the books and TB complement each other, and make the story richer for it. I think the writers have done an excellent job at giving story lines to the “supporting characters”. Well done to AB and all the other writers.

Also if TB followed the same story as the books, it would not be as interesting as you would know exactly what was going to happen. Long may TB continue

• Angela

September 19, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I didn’t need Eric and Sookie to have a happy ending at the end of Season 4 but I wanted her emotions to be founded upon. Her forgiveness for Bill happened too abruptly and her fear of a relationship with Eric came from nowhere; when he remembered, all he did was reassured her he’s still the same Eric so what went wrong? And Gran warning her about Eric was unlike her character too. Gran was always encouraging of Sookie, so she can learn and make informed choices.

Maybe the right thing AB could have done was not to make Eric remember their time together so quickly, making the backing and forth “teasing between the characters” to be more interesting in the next few seasons. Like you said, they really get together in Season 9.

• Cassy

September 20, 2011 at 10:20 am

The sad thing is there most likely won’t be a season 9. Alexander Skarsgard recently hinted that there will more 2 more seasons so there is going to be so much great Sookie and Eric stuff from the later books that we probably won’t even get to see 🙁
        I actually thought when Eric got his memories back they were fast-forwarding through to the point when he does in the books but no ……………it’s back to Bill again.

September 20, 2011 at 3:14 pm

No one has said that True Blood will end after two more seasons. I think you misunderstood Mr. Skarsgard. Also, it isn’t “back to Bill again”, if you watched the finale. Sookie chose neither.

• esw45

September 20, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Sookie did choose neither because she didn’t want to hurt somebody she loves…but we all know it was a plot point for her to be single from the vamps so they could put her with Alcide next season.

More than likely the Alcide experiment will be over and then she will want to be in a relationship with one of the vamps by the end of next season.

It will be interesting to see how or why they get to that point….but I don’t believe sookie will every really be “single”

• Cassy

September 21, 2011 at 9:39 am

Thanks for responding Liz. I meant the whole issue had become about Bill again, Sookie won’t be with Eric and she gives Bill as the reason. This didn’t seem to bother her with Eric a few days before and Bill had moved on and slept with at least 2 other women. It is almost like, as the writers decided to give Eric his memories back and admit he still loves her, there was no reason why Sookie would not choose to be with him so they had to find a way to make her single next season, and it was like, hey let’s use Bill again. It was very rushed.
            I got the thing about 6 seasons from a recent interview Alexander did in Mens Journal when it said “Skarsgard figures he has maybe 2 more years on True Blood”. Hopefully they got it wrong Liz.

September 21, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Alex’s comment to Men’s Journal is probably a feeling on his part, that the show has a couple more years in it. Six seasons would be a good run. Not long enough for the fans, of course, but for a TV show, 6 seasons is good.

15. Bethany

September 20, 2011 at 12:44 am

I have my ups and downs about the season. I mean I truly loved it, don’t get me wrong. But I liked the way the book played out much better. I will always expect them to come much closer than they feel they need to, to the books because there is a reason that CH is a Number 1 best selling author with a million awards under her belt (ok not that many, but tons of them) and AB was given her approval to bring her more beloved works to life. So I think he needs to remember that there are so many of us that were actually waiting for that shower scene, and not the wacked out vamp blood acid trip that Sookie and Eric went on. (Sookie feels a zing from time to time, but never goes down that road in the books, and this is on purpose, it belittles her character by far to have her do so) And Jason should be a panther by now, however they were going to fix the HUGE mistake of making Calvin a meth dealer/trashy evil dude that got killed before his storyline even got to get off the ground. The Queen should still be alive, and Hadley should have been explored more, as she should be turned vampire by now. All of this setting up the only hope of even trying to cover like the next 3 books to say the least. And last but not least (that I will take time to mention) is that Pam is Sookie’s friend by now. She is NOT jealous of Sookie, she can feel the love that Eric has for Sookie through her blood bond with him (he is her maker and all) and all she wants is for Eric to be happy, right??? I am so scared that they are going to ruin the best and most fun relationship (outside of the hotness that is Sookie/Eric) on the whole series. Pam should be bantering with Sookie, not Bliznitching at her/about her all the time.

I think the way they played the ghosts into the mix was wonderful. And LaLa discovering his powers was cool. I liked that Jessica started coming into her own. Eric was hot, but seriously needs to grow that hair out. He just looks so much better that way. And I LOVED seeing Nan get hers. Nan was listed in with the “good guys” which I found interesting up above. I mean she was Bad to the bone. Out for Nan and Nan alone, with a mask of being on the side of the authority all the time. Sad to see Jesus go, but know they will figure out a way to make him stick around, if not in the same capacity. A bit afraid that Tara is out, at least as far as her role in the books. Guess they won’t be covering If I Had A Hammer, or any of her roles in any of the books leading up to that.

I guess I was rather disappointed that they never played out the way I felt they should have, but then I am not the one CH trusted to make the shows for her. I am still counting down the days until next season should begin, if for no other reason than to try and figure out what on earth they are going to do to try and even hint at a general topic from the book. I mean RE is not CT and neither is Rev Newlin. LOL (Picture the Rev as a flamboyant pirate with only one eye??? Hmmmm)

• Angela

September 20, 2011 at 1:26 am

I agree, Pam and Sookie’s friendship would have been great for the show! Don’t know why they went the opposite way. Sookie needs more vampire/supernatural friends who don’t want to sleep with her lol: Pam, Hadley, Amelia, Cataliades, Diantha, or even the Queen. Sookie needs more friends in general.

16. GingerGirl

September 20, 2011 at 5:31 am

Hello and thank you for your great site and radio show. I just wanted to say I too am disappointed by Sookie at the end of the season. I don’t read the books so I don’t know what should happen but when she rejected Eric as she still loves Bill I was disappointed. It did not make sense as she had just shared such passion with Eric and at that time she told him that she hoped she would still want him if the spell got broken but then she did not even try. It is the worst writing there has been on the show. I did like lots of stuff – Sookie + Eric in the first part of the season, Jessica + Jason, Tommy skin-walking, Mavis’s sad story, and everything Ginger ever does! But Sookie ruined the end for me. If we are meant to feel sorry for her when she cried outside, I just could not, for the way she handled it and how she could forgive Bill. Have the writers forgotten the scene at the end of season 3 when she found out what he had done? I hope the writers will make Sookie do the right thing next seaon so I can like her again. That’s all – thank you.

17. Cha

September 20, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I know most people here are huge team Eric fans I feel like it’s turning into “Edward/Jacob” battle. I think it’s completely unreasonable to act as if all of Sookies feelings for Bill magically disappeared just because she ended their relationship. Honestly Eric was kind of a rebound yes she said she had feelings for him but I feel like she wasn’t truly over Bill. I like her with Bill she gave herself to him they will always be connected and the love will always run deeper, all season I was waiting for her to heed Grans warning via Marnie and get the hell away from Eric but she didn’t and guess what I got use to it and embraced it. Just like life it is what it is.

• Sookieeleana

September 21, 2011 at 6:59 am

This is my problem Cha – sorry I wasn’t going ot post in here again 🙂 Sookie’s story was never meant to be a triangle like Twilight. From watchnig the show – yes it looks like Sookie treated Eric as a rebound guy and acts like Bill is much more important to her. I’m not sure if this is just bad writing or they have already decided they are not going to do the great S/E love story on the show. I’m sure you can understand why this leaves bookies frustrated. Eric is not a rebound guy and the reasons he and Sookie did not stay together in the books had nothing to do with Bill. I know that the show is not the books etc. but that doesn’t stop us all hoping that Sookie’s relationships will run the same course. I’m afraid I’m not in the camp of it would be boring if the show was the same as the books. I’ve watched many great adaptations where they told the same story as the books and it was amazing to watch because that is the way the story is meant to be.

• Sookieeleana

September 21, 2011 at 9:58 am

Sorry my boss was lurking so I had to press post and then I got busy with real life 🙂 Just following on with books v show. This will go on and on. If you are an Eric fan you will want the show to follow the books as S/E are currently together in the books, Charlaine has spent great time and effort on the character of Eric and I believe there is a good chance he will be her HEA. If you are a Bill fan you don’t want the show to follow the books as he and Sookie haven’t been together since book 3, he is more of a supporting character and I believe Charlaine has discounted him as her possible HEA. An interesting one is Sam. I believe he is Eric’s main competition in the books (I’ve also discounted Alcide & Quinn) yet he and Sookie hardly ever share a scene on the show. I do wish they had more together as I like TB Sam a lot more than I like book Sam.

September 21, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I’m pretty sure Sam is Sookie’s HEA in the books (w00t!), and I would like to see him become more of a contender on the series. However, for now, I want Sookie to be single and figure out who she is/what she wants in light of all that’s happened to her in the past 18 months. (Or 6 months, given that she missed a full year while she was in Faery Land.)

• esw45

September 21, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Mel, I agree with you Sookie should be single with no romance or love interest going on right now….but you know its TB and Alcide has been a good soldier for 2 seasons and now they the writers want to hook them up some time next season.

She needs to see what and who in life she needs to be with and she doesn’t need to deal with any love type complications right now Plus she did kill Alcide’s ex and that will come out and be a problem between them I believe.

I still see Alcide as a really good friend to her but not as a lover….but what do I know.

• Sookieeleana

September 22, 2011 at 3:07 am

Mel I so pleased there is a team Sam out there! You may have guessed that I believe the HEA is Eric (I just don’t see any passion between Sookie and Sam and I think it would be sad for her to not have those feelings for her partner in life)but that of course if a different (book) issue. In my last post I just meant that I wish TB SAm and Sookie would actually have more screen time together (not necessarily romantic). I think Sam T and Anna have a real chemistry and I hope next season she will be at work more and they can have more scenes together. I’ve always wanted him to be her best friend, I think he understands her more than Tara ever did.

September 22, 2011 at 8:59 am

Don’t worry, I know I’m in the minority over here on Team Sam. I’ve thought they belonged together from the beginning in the books, just not right then. Each of them, but especially Sookie, had some growing to do. On the show, I’m not feeling quite the same vibe, but I agree 100% that they should have more scenes together. As I said in last week’s podcast, I LOVED their scenes in the finale. They’re friends but we rarely get to see that since both are busy dealing with one crisis after another. If I could have one wish for season 5, it’s more of Sam and Sookie interacting. If I could have two wishes, it would be that plus Sookie being single for an entire week (i.e. an entire season). 😉

• Cha

September 21, 2011 at 10:23 am

I can respect that Sook… I actually respect everyone opinion here good, bad, ugly or indifferent… I just come from a theater/film background where most things are subjective even when they are not meant to be. I just brought the first two books buying 2 more next week hoping to get caught up by season 5 (that is if my 2yo little one doesn’t glamor me into the watching backyardigans) 🙂 .  So right now all I know is TB and I love it even when I think they could have made better/different (according to me) choices, but it doesn’t mean the choice they made was wrong. It just seemed as if a lot of the posters were making it out to be just horrible and even if it wasn’t 100% to someone’s liking it was a far far cry from horrible.

18. Sabrina

September 21, 2011 at 12:41 am

After “Burning up the House” I thought that finally things were back to normal, but for me the last 2 episodes, and the whole season was disappointing.
    All the drama and the build up of the entire season -Martonia and their crusade against Vamps to see Granny spirit taking her away in the finale?! Seriously?!
    To me the only thing that made sense this season was Alcide, Debbie, Marcus, Sam and Luna´s plotline. Great build up and wrap up… I wish we could have seen that for the Vamps…
    We waited 1 year for 12 episodes, in which we supposed to get Sookie hooking up with Eric, instead we got an amnesiac Eric 90% of the time and we had the annoying love triangle all over the season. Also a stupid Eric and Bill agreeing to shoot themselves for Sookie. Really?!
    Sookie gave herself to Eric and then, because the writers need her to be single at the end of this season, she just changes her mind completely and bashes Eric when he told her that he remembers everything and that he loves her…
    We spent 3 or 4 episodes following Jason, Crystal and the Hot Shot madness to what end? Where is Crystal now, she just disappeared?! Jason didn´t become a Werepanther, they make him hook with Jessica instead. Besides that, I think that Jessica was great over the whole season…
    Also we had to go through I don´t know how many more episodes with Arlene´s demonic baby (or not, cause well, they just forgot about that detail) just to see that Lafayette is a medium. I think the trip to Mexico made that clear enough. I loved Lafayette and Jesus but there was no need to waste time with the ghost sub plotline. And after all that, they just killed Jesus, one of the better characters on this season!!! I just can´t believe that!!! And now it looks like Terry is becoming a bad guy?! Pleaaaseee!!!
    Then, we have Andy and his V addiction going on, and he just gets healed shooting up cans in the woods so then, he could bump into a Fairy that would make love to him, if he swears to the her sparkling finger (WTH?!)…
    Plus, Pam acting as a schizophrenic! She loves Eric, she would never go against his wishes or commands, and as some other people already said: She would feel Eric´s love for Sookie cause he is her maker! She would want him to be happy!
    I can´t help feeling this way about the whole season. Lots of holes, inconsistencies and wasted time.
    After such a long wait I expected better.
    I hope AB understands that it´s impossible to give every single supporting character a main story line in a 1 hour show that only has 12 episodes a year!!!
    I love True Blood and CH books so I hope next season makes more sense… This is just my opinion.
    I apologize for the long post and thank you for this great website.

• esw45

September 21, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Great posts from everyone, and all of our opinions matter but myself I have not read the books at all but I think that AB should follow the spirit of the books….Eric and Sookie are the love story in the books. Yes Bill was her first love but she out grew him and moved on to Quinn and then got with her true love and partner which was and is Eric. I watch TB and even though they throw Bill/Eric and Sookies into a love triangle I still think that her and Eric are a better fit. They have a chemistry that fits better than her and Bill and I have watched every season of TB.

I am not anti- Bill, he is great as the king of Louisiana, but to me he just fits better without her as a love interest.

Hopefully, the writers will have Sookie realize that she is in love with Eric…the real complicated Eric and then she will try to have a relationship with him eventually and stays within the spirit of the books.

I love the show, but I think most of us are saying that we would like a more consistant story telling that makes sense and in accordance with way they have started the season out.

• Jessica

September 23, 2011 at 12:14 am

Sabrina, this is what I’ve been complaining about all season! I was complaining as early as episode 2 about the schizophrenic story lines and dead end arcs, and I’m SO glad everyone else is seeing it. Every week I felt like I was tuning in to see 10-20 minutes of incredible television and 20-30 minutes of absolute crapola.

19. B. Williams

September 23, 2011 at 11:05 am

I for one hope she doesn’t hook up with Alcide who no matter what he says was crying when he abjured Debbie so he still feels something. Plus I feel like he is the one that not once but twice screwed Debbie over in the head and then walked away (S3 when his sister’s place got urned up and when sookie got attacked and then the finale trouble with debbie this year) He was the reason she was so messed up. He went back to her knowing he didn’t love her really and would never give her what she really wants (kids). Plus in the book he is kind of a jerk. Imposing on her often and blaming her for things she never controlled! If I am looking for anyone to come in from the books I would be hoping for JB Durone ( not sure on spelling but he’s a very simple minded man who cares for sookie alot) She has been with too many supes and I for one would be glad to see her trying to date a normal man. Even just dates and not going together. Would give her vampire admirers something to gawk and stare awkwardly at. Also for those of you who think that it should go more by the books….we would never know anything sookie didnt and technically we would never see her since the books are literally from her own eyes, never stepping into any other stories that she isn’t in. That works fine for books but tv never works like that. staying with one person for any period of time doing boring things (like cleaning her house 800 times by herself or with others like in the books) plus sookie was always knocked out or stuck somewhere or trapped unable to see lol. it would be a cheap show to make cause nothing to be shown lol. I do however like many of the book traits and can see how things are adapted and i like it. i like the fairy thing is explained in S3 instead of book 6 or 7. I like how the characters feel real and have growth whereas in the booke the characters are in the place they need to be y the next book. Like everything real life (even on tv) is so much more powerful than word because if you start to get scared or cry hard the life keeps happening. no time to absorb things going around and you tend to end up with a much more realistic account of who people really are. Debbie getting killed in the books for shooting eric felt forced. but i could totally see her killing debbie for Tara. I even ignored the better parts of myself saying she shouldnt and felt glad she did. though the books may have the words (total pun intended lol) the show has the heart….and sometimes they even sip on that heart as though it is a juice box. That’s what has and will always make True Blood one of the best damn shows ever….even on its worst days 🙂

• esw45

September 23, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I don’t like Alcide with her in that way too… He seems very judgemental about her choices to me and he needs to look at his own bad choices…like being in a full fledge relationship with someone and being in love with another person. This being TB they won’t have Sookie date a regular person it is considered boring and with only 12 episodes per season that won’t happen. Alcide and the werewolves are very boring to me…we will see if they become more appealing next season….but i am not holding much hope on that.

Sookie should be alone the whole season to figure out her life and what she wants but that will probably last about 2 or 3 episodes maybe…..by the end of season 5 she will be in love with one of the vampires.

20. LeAnne

September 27, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I personally like that they didn’t follow the Sookie/Pam friendship storyline. I think Pam not understanding why Eric feels so strongly for a “human” makes more sense for the show. She didn’t follow his command and stand down becasue she freaked out when he agreed to kill himself for Sookie. Think about it, if someone you love is about to face death, you would freak too. She has known Eric as strong, selfish and thinking humans were only good for blood doners for over 100 years, now he is suddenly “in love with a human”….. a little hard to swallow.

• esw1966

September 27, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Yes, that would freak Pam out in particular……the funny thing about that is Eric has probably been in love with a “human” for awhile now and because he never been in love before didn’t realize it as such. The interesting part of this would be what if Eric and Sookie would start having a relationship…..how bad would his relationship with Pam suffer? Pretty bad I think just from the little taste we have seen already.

• LeAnne

September 28, 2011 at 8:24 am

sorry… I should have said “letting everyone know he is in love with a human” 🙂

21. Cha

September 28, 2011 at 1:03 am

Esw I feel the same as far as Eric goes. I think he began to fal inl love with her two seasons ago, when he sent her toTexas to look for Godric and when she found him and stayed with him during the true death he was already hers.

• esw1966

September 28, 2011 at 8:49 am

Your right Cha, that is the same time I feel that it changed for him where he wants her in his life. It is now where he justs likes the feeling he has just being around her. I am curious as to see if they ever are a couple (real Eric and Sookie) what would their relationship be like.

• Cha

September 28, 2011 at 11:48 am

Well based on how he is on TB not the books, I would say they probably wouldn’t last beyond a season or two (even without His Majesty in the mix) the reason being, is Eric is very much what you see is what you get he happily puts it all out there flaws and all. That I think may be a bit too much for lil Miss Stackhouse. Did you check her expression when he ripped Marnie’s sidekick’s (I wanna say his name was Dan not 100% sure so I won’t) heart out and then drank from it like it was a Caprisun? Or how he took those witches down in the graveyard… She was beside herself. I know she says she loves him pre and post amnesia but of she’s honest with herself it was the kinder gentler Eric that sealed the deal & I think she is more drawn to that side of Eric. She may have been drawn to the “Bad Boy” since however long ago but being with that side of him is a whole different ball of wax. It would be good/funny to watch though.

• esw45

September 28, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Your are right it would last about a season…..but in TB terms that is probably alot. Sookie wants a gentler and kinder Eric all the time and he seems like he would be gentle with her….like he never tried to bite her even during sex (which Bill did just about all the time). He is also a BAMF! that would take someone’s heart out in a second. We all know that no one is perfect (vampires even more so) that you take the good parts with the bad. It would be funny to see that dynamic and adding Pam into the equation with her one liners… I would like to see that!