Survey Says! Results from the True Blood Season 4 Fan Survey

Last month, shortly after the True Blood season 4 finale, we asked you to let us know what you thought via our first annual True Blood fan survey. The results are in and we’ve taken some time to analyze what it all means within the context of the fandom.

Demographics

Before we get to the meat of the survey, let’s look at who the respondents were. We had 2,031 people answer at least some of the questions on the survey with 1,610 answering every question. Those numbers are easily enough to fall within the +/- 3% error margin of total visitors to our site (204,101) during the 3 weeks the survey was open. Of those who took the survey, 90.9% were female! We knew we had more female than male visitors engaged in commenting on True-Blood.net, but that’s an astounding percentage.

Another surprise came in the age demo: 45% of survey takers were age 18-30 with another 28% falling in the 31-40 range. The 41-50 demo made up another 16% with the rest of respondents falling below 18 years old (3.3%) or older than 50 (7%).

What does this tell us? That Truebies who frequent True-Blood.net are primarily women under the age of 50. Now on to the content questions. Click the images to enlarge the graphs.

1. Which element of True Blood is the main reason you watch?

The number one ranked element shouldn’t be a surprise given the subject matter: 38% of you said that The Vampires are the main reason you watch True Blood. Love, Sex & Romance was a distant second place with 26.8% and Mythology as seen through the lens of True Blood came in third with 16.4%. Ranking at the bottom of the pack were The Weres & Shifters with 10 votes (.5%), The Witches with 2 votes (.1%), and The Humans with a single vote (0%). Only one response was allowed in this question.

2. Rank the various elements of True Blood by MOST Favorite to LEAST favorite.

And then we made you think really hard about what you like most and least about True Blood. The ranking questions are my favorite because they force a person to analyze where everything falls in their schema of entertainment and enjoyability. We got some some grumbling via email and Twitter about it, but it was good-natured grumbling.

In theory, when forced to rank the elements, the results should be almost identical to question 1, and they were. The Vampires earned the most 10 rankings (10 was MOST and 1 was LEAST) with 37.5% of the votes. Love, Sex & Romance followed with 26.5% and Mythology ranked third with 14% of the votes. Very close to the rankings in question 1.

The bottom three categories were where results diverged: the least liked element was The Witches with 29% of the 1 rankings. The Humans were the second lowest scorers with 16.5% of the bottom ranking, followed by Family Ties with 12% of respondents ranking it their least favorite element. The Weres & Shifters actually ranked highest at #8, meaning 15.4% of respondents said it was their third favorite element when ranking them all. This could be the result of confusion about what ranking equaled MOST and what equaled LEAST favorite, but considering how closely the top 3 and bottom 2 rankings match the results in question 1, it could mean that once forced to rank the elements, The Weres and Shifters rose in likeability.

3. Which season 4 development did you like most?

Another ranking question! This time we asked you to rank specific plot developments from MOST favorite (10) to LEAST favorite (1). It was a landslide in favor of Eric losing his memory with a whopping 62.3% of you giving it a 10. Pam losing her face was your second favorite development, earning 15.9% of your votes for the #9 spot. In a virtual tie for third place, separated by 5 votes, was Bill becoming King of Louisiana (13.9% of you ranked that at #9) and Martonia’s war against the vampires (13.6% of you ranked that at #9).

Here’s what you didn’t like: Mavis haunting Terry & Arlene earned 20.4% of your #1 votes (remember, 1 equals LEAST favorite) with Sookie’s year-long disappearance (16.3% of your #1 votes) and Jason held captive in Hotshot (15.6% of your #1 votes) rounding out the bottom 3.

4. Whose season 4 character arc did you like most?

Rather than have you choose a single character on this one, we decided to go with the ranking system again, producing some interesting results. As you might expect from the results of question 3, Eric ran away with this one as well, earning 63.8% of your MOST favorite votes for top ranking. Second place went to Sookie with 26.9% of your #9 votes and third went to Bill with 16.9% of your #8 votes.

Battling it out for least favorite character arc were Tommy (28.2%), Andy (24.5%) and Marnie (20.8%).

5. Which character who died in season 4 will you miss most?

This was a bad season for some of our favorite characters, especially toward the end when the Witch War turned deadly. A hefty 43% of you said you would miss Jesus Velazquez most, although it sounds like we may see him in some form next season, so don’t get too upset. Tara Thornton’s presumed death had 24.9% of you feeling down while 12.8% of you will miss Queen Sophie Ann.

Who won’t be missed? The Mickenses in general got a “good riddance” with Melinda getting 0 votes, Joe Lee getting 1 vote, and Tommy only getting 63 votes. Felton Norris also got a single vote. Only one response was allowed on this question.

6. Which couple(s) are you rooting for?

Ah, the ‘shipper wars! Here’s where the biggest surprised was served. Given the vociferousness of various ‘shipper factions, we allowed respondents to choose more than one response here, thinking we’d see a fairly balanced result. Nope! Leading the pack by far was Sookie/Eric with 69.8% of the votes. Next was Jessica/Jason with 45.4%, an unexpectedly positive response to that pairing. Third was Sam/Luna earning 30.7% of the votes.

What of Sookie’s other suitors? Sookie/Alcide picked up 21.5% of your votes while Sookie/Bill only earned 16.8%. That latter was much, much lower than expected given the comments we’ve had on our site. Apparently it’s a minority who want them together, but a very vocal one! Sookie/Sam garnered 2.5% of your votes, trailed only by Jason/Crystal with 1.1%.

7. Who do you think should be named season 4’s Most Valuable Player?

This should be a no-brainer if you’ve been paying attention to the results of the other questions: Alexander Skarsgard (Eric) easily took the crown here with 48.7% of the votes. In a distant second was Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette) with 13.6% and Kevin Alejandro (Jesus) rounding out the top three with 10.6% of your votes.

Ranking at the bottom of the MVP list were Marshall Allman (Tommy) and Chris Bauer (Andy) with just 2 votes each and Paola Turbay (Antonia) and Lauren Bowles (Holly) earning 4 votes each. Two of those characters are gone now, but maybe Andy and Holly will have more to do next season? Only one response was allowed to this question.

8. Which storyline are you most anticipating in season 5?

Turning our attention ahead, we asked which of the storylines we know about from season 5 were getting you excited already. The return of Russell Edgington is your most hotly anticipated storyline with 31.9% of the votes. Also making the wait until next summer seem longer are Eric turning Pam (20.5%) and the possible introduction of Quinn (14.5%).

The storylines that aren’t flipping many switches are Terry and his army buddy, Patrick Devins (1.4%), the mysterious new female vampire (1.5%), and the fallout of Sookie killing Debbie (4.7%).  We wonder if these rankings would be different if we polled Truebies now that more information about the new mysterious vampire has been released.

9. How do you feel about spoilers?

With such a long wait between seasons, we were pretty sure we knew the answer to this, but figured this would be a good time to verify. Sure enough, 63.8% of you said that you love spoilers with another 21.9% saying that you don’t seek them out but you do read them. That means around 86% of True Blood fans like a good spoiler. Only 9.1% said they didn’t want to know anything about the show in advance and 5.2% said they just plain don’t trust spoilers.

Note: Questions 10 and 11 were demographic questions, covered in the first section of this report.

12. Are you a Bookie? Truebie? Hybrid?

The book vs. show debate has also raged in the comments and on the forum (and on Twitter, and on Facebook) for years now, so we wondered, just how do our readers view themselves? Honestly, we expected a pretty even divide here, but the results were far from it: a whopping 71.9% of  you said you view yourself as a hybrid, someone who likes both the books and the TV series for what they are.

Surprising us even more, 18.9% of you said that you’re a series purist, meaning you want the TV series to create its own stories and not follow the books closely, and just 9.3% viewed themselves as book purists, meaning that you want everything from the books to be in the show the way that Charlaine Harris wrote them.

Given the forcefulness of the books vs. series debate, we were stunned to see so few of you identify yourselves as book purists. Another vocal minority for sure!

Conclusions

What can we learn from these numbers? The online True Blood fandom, at least those who visit True-Blood.net which has the most traffic of any True Blood fansite, skews young and female. Eric was by far the most popular character and storyline in season 4 and the majority of fans are rooting for him and Sookie as a couple. Surprisingly few people are rooting for Bill and Sookie, but Jason and Jessica are fan-approved. We can’t wait for Russell Edgington to return, and Pam continues to rank among fan favorites. Most fans appreciate the TV series and books as separate entities, and the majority are hungry for spoilers to ease the wait between seasons.

This survey was conducted by True-Blood.net and measured opinions of fans who visit our site. It was not endorsed, sponsored, or affiliated with HBO or anyone associated with True Blood.

1. esw45

October 24, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I would like to Thank you guys for even having this fan polls…..it does show how popular,Eric and Alex Skarsgard has become basically the star of the show. I thought this was the case because of most discussions to do with Eric or Alexander becomes a bigger deal than any other actor or character. Most fans love the development of Eric and think that he fits with Sookie better than,anyone else. I think we will see a relationship between them eventually but Eric/Sookie fans need to have patience And let things play out first before being overly critical of the writers all the time.

2. Cha

October 24, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Wow these results are kinda what I had anticipated with the exception of the bookie/trubie/hybrid question. I thought for sure the bookies would place first hybrid second and truebies third. I was also hoping La-La took MVP, oh well I’m glad he placed. I like these polls are good.

• esw45

October 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Me too Cha……i thought bookies would win as well….I picked hybrid myself…..I like a combo with some original ideas mixed in.

• Cha

October 24, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I picked trubie since I have about two weeks ago just started the books, I’m currently on book 2 almost finished with it. I think AB stuck very closely to the first book/ season 1, with the exception of the biggest change being Bill offing Long Shadow,which I thought was a daring and creative choice. It’s good to be a hybrid. Me likey!

• esw45

October 24, 2011 at 8:47 pm

What made it different was that Eric was not established as a guy who cared about Sookie …..he was kinda creepy and non caring so Bill was established as a guy who loved her ……so it made sense That he would kill longshadow than Eric would at the……Eric today would kill anyone that would hurt her now.

• Cha

October 24, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I know I was lmao when her darn near took Pam’s head off for threatening & dropping fang @ Sook.

• Cha

October 24, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I meant when He… Not her.

• Sookieeleana

October 25, 2011 at 6:38 am

I think book readers are a very small percentage of the TB audience. Alan Ball once said it was around 5% of viewers who had read the books. esw45 you may be surprised but even I put I was a hybrid. I did this because although I want Sookie and Eric left alone to develop as their love story has in the books I completely appreciate that you can’t have a 12 episode season with Sookie in every single scene, and the way the TB writers have developed characters like Jason, Laffy and Russell has been one of their triumphs. So I thought if I am honest that makes me a hybrid?

• Laura

October 25, 2011 at 7:24 am

well I also would call myself a hybrid but this doesn´t mean that I haven´t read te books, I am quite sure lots of people have read the books but just like both the show and the books… I am ok with some of the changes on the show but there are lots of other things I dislike;

And I seriously doubt that the 5 percent thing is right, that was just a guess, I think much more viewers have read the books and this was also just an online voting, not everyone was counted int…

• Kathy

October 26, 2011 at 9:43 am

That 5% quote came from Alan Ball and Stephen Moyer when the show was just starting through Comic Con during Season 2. I, then, thought that percentage was low to justify Alan’s changes. More and more people have read the books between season after season, even if that percentage was right when it was said, I feel confident it’s not true now.

• Sookieeleana

October 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Thanks for that Kathy (I hope this appears in the right place as your post doesn’t have a reply option) – I couldn’t remember where it had come from. That was early on and of course lots more people have discovered the books since then. I don’t think they will ever be able to gauge accurately what % of viewers read the books as I don’t know how they can ever gauge viewing figures as so many people watch the show over the internet. One thing for sure I guess is a good majority of us who visit the TB websites will have read the books as we are the viewers who are most “into” the story.

• KC

October 29, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I wouldn’t consider myself a “purist” and wouldn’t want the books verbatim because that would be boring. However, I believed Alan Ball when he said TB would remain “true to the spirit of the books” and, after having seen Season 4, now know that was just BS. I hate what he’s done to Sookie (apologizing to Bill? After she discovered his “mission” and his draining her, and the Rattrayal? Did Sookie have amnesia too?); and Pam (who engineered the defense in the witch war in the books, becomes a vain, petulent child this season? After surviving the magistar’s torture last season, she blurts out Eric’s hiding place when Bill looks at her sideways?); and Eric (I love me some naked Viking butt, but if the writers think that makes up for weak plotting, they underestimate us. There were plot holes last season that Bill could have driven Sam in his Brahma bull suit through. Bah, I guess you know now why I didn’t take the survey?

November 1, 2011 at 9:41 am

So, you won’t be back for season 5 is what you’re saying. You know, I don’t recall Sookie apologizing to Bill. I heard her tell him that even though he messed up big time, she still loved him. And when you think about it, no one is perfect, no matter how much you want them to be. Everyone makes mistakes. And in this world of “tolerance” that everyone preaches, are you saying that it has no place on this show?

Also, the bottom line is, vampires are dangerous. You want a typical relationship that you see between a human man and human woman, but Sookie is not falling for human men. She fell for these two vampires and she opened herself up to everything that meant. Both Eric and Bill hurt Sookie, I don’t care how much you wish it weren’t so.

I agree that there were plot holes – truthfully, I have yet to watch any show or movie where there weren’t any plot holes. They exist.

“I love me some naked Viking butt, but if the writers think that makes up for weak plotting, they underestimate us.” There are many fans who would disagree with you there, so I would watch how I used the word ‘us’ there. It’s all a matter of perception.

• leila

October 26, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I just found this site and I consider my self ‘ as bookie’, maybe the bookie won’t vote much because we are in books more. i guess most people who voted like both or go on net more it really depend.

3. Gracie

October 24, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I may like Eric now with sookie but I still feel she belongs with bill!!! I think at the end of the series I think and hope her and bill will find their way back too each other!

• esw45

October 24, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I respect your opinion Gracie, even thought I like sookie with eric….but I think she will end up with bill at the end of the show too.

4. Sookieeleana

October 25, 2011 at 3:52 am

I want to say something specific but as I am so happy today I don’t want to get into trouble so I’ll just put in a nice smilie :) instead.

As there is a lot of Eric in there I think I can get away with talking about Eric and Sookie for a millisecond. I really hope the writers take notice of stuff like this and put them in a proper relationship in the show without others interferring. That’s all.

Mel you mentioned you were surprised that Bill/Sookie didn’t get many votes compared with the comments you get. I believe Eric/Sookie now have at least 2 web-sites soley dedicated to their relationship so a lot of Eric/Sookie shippers go there to comment these days as they found TB sites intially Bill/Sookie heavy. Unfortunately for you I prefer to stay here and bug people.

October 25, 2011 at 8:55 am

Oh, we still get plenty of Eric/Sookie comments (and you are still on topic here ;) ), but we get a fair amount of Bill/Sookie fans commenting as well. Based on that anecdotal evidence, I really expected more of a turnout from the Bill/Sookie fans on question 6. Liz brought up a good point in the podcast (coming out tomorrow), suggesting that because Bill and Sookie weren’t together this season, more people were probably fans of his storyline but not of them as a couple.

• Jennifer K

November 1, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I classify myself as a bookie because I am more fond of them than the show and didn’t watch TB until after I read books. I tried and couldn’t get into them. I do like TB, eagerly anticipate Sunday night viewings, but have a love/hate relationship with it. About the bookie percentage being low, my thoughts are a lot of the “bookies” have abandoned TB because they are so different. I personally frequent the fansites because NONE of my friends have read the books and watch the show. My SVM friend’s can’t stand the TB portrayal so won’t watch. My TB friends haven’t read the books. Hence, low bookie survey results. I do feel AB is wrong about so many deviations from the books. All my Potter, Twilight, GoT book fans are also movie/show fans. Wish I could say the same for SVM/TB.

5. Natalie

October 25, 2011 at 4:55 am

Wow, the result is very much what i was anticipated! But honestly, the amnesia storyline was one of the let-downs of season 4, it started good but ended up dissapointing, since they turned Eric into a self loathing vampire and Sookie was too unbearable at the end for ditching him because of Bill (though he also got ditched later on). It’s dissapointing for fans who had anticipated the angst between them after the old Eric was back. However, whatever storylines he gets, Eric will always be my most favourite character and the main reason i watch the show and read the book as well, that’s why i still voted the amnesia storyline as the best though i didn’t quite like it, besides there’s no other better storylines, except Ginger’s and Laetie Mae’s if they ever had a storyline. Hopefully, next season, Eric will have a better storyline. Really, the problem was not Alexander Skarsgard’s performance, but the writings. And i have to admit, though i knew the show first, the book was much much better at developing the stories and characters, particularly about Eric and Sookie. I don’t demand the show to follow it religiously, but at least keep the good parts for goodness’ sake!

October 25, 2011 at 9:05 am

Thanks for commenting, Natalie. While discussing the results in our latest podcast, posting sometime tomorrow, Liz suggested the same thing about the amnesia storyline. It was the favorite because it featured Eric and not necessarily because viewers liked the way it was handled.

• Sookieeleana

October 25, 2011 at 9:58 am

I do believe you are right there Mel – I didn’t like the way they ended that story-line but I always expected it to come out top as it was about Eric. Fans want to see more of any story-line that involves Eric and puts him in the center of the show. I much prefer “real” Eric whom we hardly saw this season.

• esw45

October 25, 2011 at 11:48 am

Yes Sookieleana, I think Eric centric storylines will garner ratings mostly because he is more popular than anyone else on the show. I liked how that have begun since season 2 to changed him into a much more three dimentional character…..where he can be BMF but love Pam and love deeply like he seems to feel for sookie. I will be very interested in how he is presented this season…will he be angry and uncaring because she dumped him or still loving but staying away from her….his relationship with Pam will it be fractured still or repaired.

6. KC

October 25, 2011 at 5:43 am

I didn’t take the survey but don’t find the results surprising. Well, except I’m a little surprised there are any bookie responses at all after having seen what Alan Ball did to DttW.

7. Susanna

October 25, 2011 at 6:04 am

I have condensed so much of Bill Fans leaving this site and opened frequently locked forum to be at peace from the EL. I am a member of two of these and I have not even had the idea about this survay, so take it easy , this does not represent the truth online. BL has stopped completely to participate in various polls.

• bea

October 25, 2011 at 6:36 am

Well, a lot o Eric fans stopped frequenting neutral sites too, and many just stay in their own dedicated forums. So it’s not much of an argument is it?
      I think this survey is a pretty fair representation of the online fandom as a whole.

• Laura

October 25, 2011 at 7:28 am

not true, look on youtube or look at conventions, bill was never that popular and book readers in general are more interested in eric and sookie, if you have read the books it is easily to understand; and sorry but even jessica and jason had more votes and andy with that other woman, I seriously doubt that there are hardcore shippers of those couples out there… so BLs could have voted there too; yeah and those BLs sites you were talking about also always have the same handful of people posting on there, I refuse to go there anymore, because these guys can be very rude…I don´t want to offend anyone with this, but it is true…

October 25, 2011 at 9:00 am

I’m not quite sure I understand your comment, Susanna, but I think you’re saying that Bill fans are being locked out of the forum in favor of Eric fans? That’s not the case. We don’t discriminate – we’ve said many times that we’re Team Sookie and can appreciate all of the lovely men interested in her. If someone is “locked out” of the forum or banned from commenting, it’s for violating guidelines, not for being a fan of one character over another.

• tigereyes

October 25, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Susanna, I so agree. I know many BL’s do not post on here due to all the BS they have to put up with. As for the survey, this is the first I’ve heard of it. As for myself, I am still and forever, a Bill lover. I still hope for Bill and Sookie to be together.

October 25, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Tigereyes, as Mel said, we do not discriminate on this website and welcome fans of all characters. And I don’t know what you mean about a”all the BS they have to put up with”, but if you mean flaming and name-calling and bashing of opinions, you must have us confused with another site because we do not tolerate that here at all. However, if you mean that you disagree when people say something you don’t like about Bill, you have just as much of a right to respectfully disagree as the person who expressed their opinion. Debates in the right places are always welcome as long as they remain respectful.

And for what it’s worth, while I am Team Sookie all the way, and love all the men in her life, frankly I was getting tired of constantly defending Bill all by myself this season, and would have loved some help.

• Jessica

October 25, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I completely disagree that this site is hostile towards Bill fans. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion here as long as they’re on topic and respectful. Don’t blame the site or Liz and Mel because there are simply more Eric fans than Bill fans. Blame Charlaine Harris for writing the books that way or Alexander Scarsgard for being so sexy hot!

• esw45

October 26, 2011 at 12:07 am

Your right Jessica, this site is not hostile to any fanbase period….. Bill’s has some fans but right now Eric has more…..I think it is because Eric is more interesting to watch and is growing….even as an 1000 year old viking can into complete person able to love and be loved deeply instead of just being a BAMF….that just cares about Pam and Godric. I like Bill and hope he stays as king and gets a girlfriend not named Sookie on the show. I think Eric and Sookie fits together better as a couple…Bill was her first love and he will always be special to her but as we all know you have to move on and grow.

October 26, 2011 at 8:12 am

Dear Alex: This is all your fault.

8. CassyM

October 25, 2011 at 6:19 am

I am surprised in a way that book purists didn’t get more votes considering the outcome of other sections of the survey. But there again I know quite a few people who have not read the books but are still completely Team Eric because of Alex’s magnetic performance so maybe I shouldn’t be surprised. I think it also dispels the myth that Eric lovers hate Bill. We are more than happy to see Bill on the show with his own strong storyline, so long as he doesn’t interfere with the Eric/Sookie love story like they had him do at the end of this season. I guess the message is you don’t have to have read the books to see that Eric is the one for Sookie.

9. Natalie

October 25, 2011 at 6:47 am

So true, after what they’ve done to Eric, Eric-Sookie’s past-present-future relationship, and the coveted amnesia storyline, many of Eric fans as well as the bookies had been so put off with the show that it was overwhelming to see Eric still got the most loves, considering majority of the voters were not the book purist which had been perceived as the core of Eric fanbase.

10. summer

October 25, 2011 at 7:57 am

Thanks for doing the survey, as it takes some time to analyze all the data. I’m definitely a hybrid!

I just read the SS books again for the 3rd time, and I have also started watching True Blood season 1. I noticed in the first two episodes, the writers were sticking with a lot of the same dialogue from the books, and so I could predict what was coming. I’m sure this was done so the series would get picked up entirely from the network, and when that was accomplished TB would take off as it has. Anyhow, looking back at Sookie from 1E, I think she was the best developed actor on the show from the get go. All other characters, eventually found their place.

11. Sherri Manning

October 25, 2011 at 8:05 am

I think Sookie will end up with another Supernatural altogether! There is so much pain and angst there if she has to choose. If it does end up between Bill & Eric………..I think Bill! He truly loves her and had proven that many times!

• Laura

October 26, 2011 at 4:30 am

I saw Sookie and bills relationship as an abusive one, sorry to say that, but he always did drink blood out of her like from a fountain during sex and he treated her really badly several times, I don´t think she should end up with any vampire at all on the show and maybe in the books too, but I want to see now real Eric and Sookie together, we didn´t even get to see that because Sookie asked her abuser for forgiveness, I am not really happy what they have done with Sookie, i hope she becomes smarter next season…

• Tamara

October 27, 2011 at 5:17 am

If she were end up with any other supernatural except vampire ( i.e. Eric), what’s the point of the whole story with vampires as an main supernatural around her?!? Any other supernatural being in her story could be only seen as temporary solution, in order for her to grown some brain and to learn from life experience. Weres and shifters are ridicilous, and fairies are maybe the only exceptable solution in some potential scenario.

12. Jessica

October 25, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Regardless of whether you’re a Bill or Eric fan, let’s agree that these results pretty much back up what we’ve been saying all season: more focus on the main story lines and beloved characters, less focus on dead-end side stories, please! p.s. I told y’all that most people I knew thought the Andy-v-addition and the evil baby were just awful. :)

• Cha

October 25, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Lol too funny I was really hoping the baby story was going in another direction like Renee being so deeply evil that it was in his offspring DNA. I do like how it opened the door for La-La to tap into his medium abilities. I just don’t like Andy at all he’s such a messy mess. In my opinion…It seems like he is a bit more coordinated and stable in the book than on TB.

13. jess

October 25, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Awesome to watch Sookie and Eric on trueblood.
    I love the other characters as well. Not a big fan of bill but you need his character to mix up the plot of the storyline. Its like when your friends tell you your boyfriend’ s a pricked you can do better but you don’t see for what he is until later and then Mr. beautiful guy like Eric comes into the picture and then you get confuse cause you always remeber your first love. Then your not sure if you deserve perfection.

14. helenahandbasket69

October 25, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Thank you so much to the ladies of True-Blood.net for conducting this poll.
    200,000 plus visitors in the 3 week poll time frame is amazing.
    Well done.

15. Bethany

October 25, 2011 at 11:54 pm

I like so many others on here are surprised that the Bookies didn’t win out. However I (Who totally LOVE the books and I guess would be a Bookie at heart) would probably fall into the Hybrid catagory because I believe that they should follow the books much more closely, and yet include the other storylines (I love that they kept La La around) as well.

16. Ally

October 26, 2011 at 5:58 am

I did vote in this survey, but aside from that I never frequent non-Eric centric sites, and I know a lot of Eric fans who do the same, so it’s not just the Bill Lovers who stick to their own. Also, I’ve seen several other polls over the years that have very similar results to the results of this survey. I was not at all surprised to see so much Eric love.

I should also mention that I was a Truebie way before I ever read the books, and that I only read the books because I liked the show so much. From the first time I saw Eric I was completely captivated by him. He caught my interest in a way that no other TV character had in years. Then I read the books and of course I fell in love with them and became even more team Eric than ever before. I said I was a hybrid because I do like both the books and the TV show and I can appreciate them separately. However, I feel robbed as a viewer when the best scenes from the books (IMO) are either messed up or left out.

17. gee

October 26, 2011 at 9:23 am

Hopefully this will put to bed that ridiculous statement that only 5% of the audience have read the books.
    Even if many of us consider ourselves hybrids who can see the value of both, between the bookies and the hybrids, the implied percentage of the respondents who have read the books is over 80%.

18. Anja

October 28, 2011 at 6:04 am

Great poll and I hope someone important from True Blood sees this and takes it into account, finally. Find out what your fans want before you write ;)

19. Rina

November 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm

This was a great survey and reveals a lot about the fans of the true-blood.net website. Obviously, if a survey like this had been conducted by HBO and went out to all fans of the show, the results may have been different and more balanced in some areas. The fact that more women than men frequent and probably comment on the website is particularly a weakness. If more men participated in the survey, Sookie and other female characters may have gotten more votes.